Ukraine on the brink

Ukraine on the brink

There are 49 comments on the The Telegraph story from Jul 22, 2014, titled Ukraine on the brink. In it, The Telegraph reports that:

Ukraine is at the crossroads, its future uncertain, its ethnic faultiness dangerously exposed to the deepening turbulence in Russia-Nato relations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Telegraph.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Zeppelin

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jul 26, 2014
Quote:

"The country’s western region, the seedbed of uncompromising nationalism, with its fascist and pro-Nazi colourations, is best exemplified by Stepan Bandera’s wartime party and kindred groups that collaborated with Nazi occupation forces in the murder of Jews and Poles. These extremist elements are the ideological forebears of the present Pravy Sektor (Right Sector) and Svoboda (Freedom), both in varying degrees anti-Semitic and much given to railing against the “Jewish-Russian mafia” in Kiev. Pravy Sektor is in denial over its anti-Semitism (which it ascribes to Moscow propaganda), but says it is “nationalist, defending the values of white, Christian Europe”, that it holds multiculturalism “responsible for the disappearance of the crucifix and the arrival of girls in burqas in your schools”, a view with which Svoboda is in fervent accord. However, Pravy Sektor, unlike Svoboda, is against joining the European Union.

Among Svoboda’s priorities is the cultural cleansing of Russian influences in the country, which include banning the teaching of Russian in schools (the country has been, and is, bilingual), abolishing Russian street names, depriving Russian-populated Crimea its autonomy, and joining Nato for the acquisition of modern weaponry. Yulia Tymoshenko, the former Ukrainian prime minister, who fell out with President Viktor Yanukovych and was imprisoned for corruption, stood again for the presidency recently and lost. The country’s foremost political virago gave vent on camera to anti-Russian fury, advocating the use of nuclear weapons against Crimea’s Russian population. Yet, it was in Kievan Rus’ that the Russian state was born; both nations are tied by the umbilical cord of the Orthodox faith, culture and history. Nikolai Gogol, among the titans of 19th-century Russian literature, was Ukranian by birth but Russian in his choice of language. Thousands of Ukrainians today work in Russia — as do Georgians — and send back substantial remittances to their families and dependants."
Pigshanks war criminal

Wolcott, VT

#2 Jul 26, 2014
Ukraine on the brink of suicide.

Now is the time of them to show how European oriented they truly are by passing a 'right to die for the incurable law'
Pro Ukraine

UK

#3 Jul 27, 2014
Yawn, the same propaganda bs from the defenders of Putin fascism.
Live Free or Die

Wolcott, VT

#4 Jul 27, 2014
What you describe as defense of Putin fascism is in actuality a defense of the East's right to self-determination.

Fascism of course does exist in the region and it resides in Kiev.

Your pot posts have only one objective, to call the kettle black with the hope that some fool will bite.
Live Free or Die

West Danville, VT

#5 Jul 29, 2014
Europe be forewarned. Your natural gas transiting Ukraine will soon be 'donated' to Kiev's ethnic cleansing campaign.

Activists of the nationalist Right Sector party have blocked several Lukoil gasoline stations in Ivano-Frankovsk, western Ukraine, demanding free gas from the Russian oil company, OSCE reported.

Employees of the gas stations informed OSCE observers that Right Sector demanded they provide monthly donations of up to three tons of petrol – to be used by the Ukrainian army.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#6 Jul 29, 2014
Pigshanks war criminal wrote:
Ukraine on the brink of suicide.
Now is the time of them to show how European oriented they truly are by passing a 'right to die for the incurable law'
you are pathetic
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#7 Jul 29, 2014
Live Free or Die wrote:
Europe be forewarned. Your natural gas transiting Ukraine will soon be 'donated' to Kiev's ethnic cleansing campaign.
Activists of the nationalist Right Sector party have blocked several Lukoil gasoline stations in Ivano-Frankovsk, western Ukraine, demanding free gas from the Russian oil company, OSCE reported.
Employees of the gas stations informed OSCE observers that Right Sector demanded they provide monthly donations of up to three tons of petrol – to be used by the Ukrainian army.
LOL you stupid jewboy. How will Putin get the money to run his country than. That is basically the only export Russia has. Idiot!
Zeppelin

Knoxville, TN

#8 Jul 29, 2014
Pro Ukraine wrote:
Only a fool could support the government of Ukraine.
Live Free or Die

West Danville, VT

#9 Jul 29, 2014
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL you stupid jewboy. How will Putin get the money to run his country than. That is basically the only export Russia has. Idiot!
Russians are tough. In case your history is rusty, I'll remind you that they don't knuckle under to anyone.

From the ones I've met, they'd rather chew nails than give their stamp of approval to the transparent double standards and outright hypocrisy that they're being constantly subjected to.
Live Free or Die

West Danville, VT

#10 Jul 29, 2014
Adding to that, in a world of diminishing resources, harboring theirs isn't exactly a lose-lose proposition. They only become more valuable with time.

Your problem is that you interpret everything through western eyes. Belt-tightening for Russians has been an instinctual and conditioned response since the beginning of time. The same deprivations would likely propel a country like ours into immediate chaos.

But your theory sounded nice on the surface anyway. LOL
Pro Ukraine

UK

#11 Jul 29, 2014
Zeppelin wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a fool could support the government of Ukraine.
Only a fool could support despot Putin.
Live Free or Die

West Danville, VT

#12 Jul 30, 2014
Only a moral degenerate could support tinpot Porko and his war crimes against civilians and only a mental degenerate would deny them.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#13 Jul 30, 2014
Pro Ukraine wrote:
Yup, they get boring after awhile. They keep yapping about Ukraine GDP going down 7% and unemployment down and export down, well do they also realize Ukraine is in war? I am surprised the GDP is holding at all, so good for Ukraine, once the war is over and the Russian terrorists are gone then we can start measuring Poroshenko's ability to run the country and the countries ability to put it together, until then we just have to wait
Karmarim

Qrendi, Malta

#14 Jul 30, 2014
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, they get boring after awhile. They keep yapping about Ukraine GDP going down 7% and unemployment down and export down, well do they also realize Ukraine is in war? I am surprised the GDP is holding at all, so good for Ukraine, once the war is over and the Russian terrorists are gone then we can start measuring Poroshenko's ability to run the country and the countries ability to put it together, until then we just have to wait
By the way things are going there will be no country, that is after the prime minister and the cabinet joined Yanukovych in fleeing from the post.
Zeppelin

Knoxville, TN

#15 Jul 30, 2014
Pro Ukraine wrote:
<quoted text>Only a fool could support despot Putin.
I am not supporting Putin. My sympathy and support is for the people of Ukraine who are being murdered by their own government.
Karmarim

Qrendi, Malta

#16 Jul 30, 2014
Pro Ukraine wrote:
<quoted text>Only a fool could support despot Putin.
In this day & age you don't have much of a choice, you either support the West or you support those against it, i.e. you support the lesser evil and Putin is in no way worse than the USA, the EU and their Mujahideen, just take a look at what Iraq or Libya looks like now two new Somalias.

When super powers are gone we can focus on fine details and have more of a choice between leaders, I don't like Putin or China much either but certainly support then in providing a power balance for the world.
Pro Ukraine

UK

#17 Jul 30, 2014
Live Free or Die wrote:
Only a moral degenerate could support tinpot Porko and his war crimes against civilians and only a mental degenerate would deny them.
If civilians were deliberately being targeted as you claim then you would have a point, but they're not and only a complete brainwashed Kremlin bozo would suggest otherwise, in other words you have no point at all, you're as blunt aa your intelligence.:-)
Pro Ukraine

UK

#18 Jul 30, 2014
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Also despite everything the Ukrainian hrivna is still worth two and a half times more than the rouble.:-)
Pro Ukraine

UK

#19 Jul 30, 2014
Zeppelin wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not supporting Putin. My sympathy and support is for the people of Ukraine who are being murdered by their own government.
They're not being delibetately murdered and many of them have been killed by Russian terrorists.
Pro Ukraine

UK

#20 Jul 30, 2014
Karmarim wrote:
<quoted text>
In this day & age you don't have much of a choice, you either support the West or you support those against it, i.e. you support the lesser evil and Putin is in no way worse than the USA, the EU and their Mujahideen, just take a look at what Iraq or Libya looks like now two new Somalias.
When super powers are gone we can focus on fine details and have more of a choice between leaders, I don't like Putin or China much either but certainly support then in providing a power balance for the world.
There is a third choice, you don't support either. I would prefer it if their was no power struggle and all nations respected each other.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 min humptytrumpty 14,215
News Diagnosing Trump: Did America elect a madman? 53 min Xstain Mullah Decree 286
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 53 min None 9,997
News Dinosaurs among us 4 hr Fartosaurus Rex 2
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) 8 hr Steven Spencer 8,831
News Forensic nightmare: The perils of touch DNA (Mar '17) 23 hr Buck Naked 16
News Chambersburg man charged as child predator (Jul '08) Tue MHuscher 77
Best Adult Hookup Sites Online (May '17) Tue righteoushustleent 37
More from around the web