Sales tax increase would help meet Estes Park needs

Estes Park residents have not been shy about telling town officials what services they want and expect from their tax dollars. Full Story
Rex Beistle

Golden, CO

#1 Jan 30, 2014
In part, the article states
"Or, after running the numbers, a 1 percent sales tax increase for 10 years would accomplish the same thing - without the painful, and possibly harmful, cuts.

The tax, essentially one penny for every dollar spent,...."

What is claimed as a 1% sales tax increase is actually a 25% tax increase. Adding "...essentially one penny for every dollar..." changes the rate to 5%. Increasing the rate to 5% is a 25% increase to the town's present 4% sales tax rate.

Perhaps a 25% increase in the town's sales tax rate is necessary, I certainly do not know. If it is necessary, those promoting the additional tax should be honest in describing the 25% increase.
Just A Thought

Estes Park, CO

#2 Jan 31, 2014
If the town had not promised to monetarily support The Performing Arts, waste money re-doing Bond Park, build a 300 car parking lot which no body uses, build a multi level parking structure at the Visitor Center, and who knows what other useless projects, it wouldn't have to ask for a tax rate increase so Estes Park could be like Vail, Steamboat, etc. This is Estes Park. Let's keep it that way.
Adolf

Loveland, CO

#3 Jan 31, 2014
I feel that the tax increase is absolutely necessary in order to maintain ethnic purity.
Jake

Estes Park, CO

#4 Feb 2, 2014
Mt Lancaster and our town leaders are trying to convince us that if we don't pass the 1% sales tax increase Estes Park will dry up and die, right? What they fail to tell us is that are other ways to raise funds, such as grants. Also, sneaking this issue on the ballot riding on the back of the Anschults Wellness Center and Lot 4 is just that, sneaky. I also read sometime back that somebody asked for a description of the 50-60 well paying jobs and their comensorate salaries would be that the Anschultz Wellness Center would provide. Has anybody seen them? Another question is "Why do we need TWO wellness centers (The Anschultz and The Community Wellness Center proposed by The EVRPD)?
Rand Paul

Loveland, CO

#5 Feb 2, 2014
As the 21st Century progresses, it will continue to require ever more tax dollars to keep SS Pork hokey enough to satisfy the town's residents and tourists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 5 min cancer suxs 7
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 25 min Lip service 10,859
Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... 1 hr A Choice 1
Dragging the river of pain in hopes of closure 2 hr chuga are POS 11
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 4 hr Spider 8,539
Opinion Line 4 hr kuda 60
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 6 hr Jonah1 25,022
•••

Opinion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••