Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Read more: CNN 32,003

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Read more

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#17032 Oct 9, 2012
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your LBGT news source view it as hate speech. I don't.
Then u are a bigot. Don't tell your gay business partner

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#17033 Oct 9, 2012
<quoted text>
Okay, Godmaker. Apparently, you can watch YouTube from behind your couch.
The movie the Godmakers got that from this:

... it will be seen that the great Messiah who was the founder of the Christian religion, was a polygamist,... the Messiah chose to ... by marrying many honorable wives himself, show to all future generations that he approbated the plurality of wives under the Christian dispensation....

We have now clearly shown that GOD THE FATHER HAD A PLURALITY OF WIVES, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits as well as the spirit of Jesus His first Born, and another being upon the earth by whom He begat the tabernacle of Jesus, as his only begotten in this world. We have also proved most clearly that the Son followed the example of his Father, and became the great Bridegroom to whom kings' daughters and many honorable wives were to be married. We have also proved that both GOD THE FATHER AND OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST INHERIT THEIR WIVES in eternity as well as in time; ... it would be so shocking to the modesty of the very pious ladies of Christendom to see Abraham and his wives, Jacob and his wives, Jesus and his honorable wives, all eating occasionally at the same table,... If you do not want your morals corrupted, and your delicate ears shocked and your pious modesty put to the blush by the society of polygamists and their wives, do not venture near the New Earth; for polygamists will be honored there, and will be among the chief rulers in that Kingdom (The Seer, p. 172).

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#17034 Oct 9, 2012
that is not saying that if you act unaccordingly an disobey the commandments of God...

well... then you suffer the consequences...
excommunication, disfellowshiped, whatever...

you have to be pursueing actively and righteously the best you can.

It's very hard to endure all things well. Challenges are difficult at times.
Peoples agency sin, that is what forgiveness is for.

The Church is set up by Christ... it is his will. It is setup exactly how it was in the Bible in his day. That is all to be said.

Forsyth, MO

#17035 Oct 9, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Then u are a bigot. Don't tell your gay business partner
He already knows what I believe and think. You know what he thinks as well.

“Mormons will brainwash you”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#17036 Oct 9, 2012
<quoted text>
I do know. I'm a member whose given several Sacrament talks, lessons, and held several positions. If what you are saying is true, you're leaving something out. Maybe like you were teaching false doctrine or your anti Mormon propaganda from the Godmakers and the Mormon Curtain. Then I can see a Bishop calling you in. You're nothing but a liar. Plain and simple.
Blah blah blah lamo

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#17037 Oct 9, 2012
<quoted text>
The Church is outspoken against any type of sexual activity outside the bonds of marriage, masturbation included. What's your point?
Wow....how sad, u agree with a man who says masturbation is satanic and causes less conversions.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#17038 Oct 9, 2012
that is why Jesus Christ died for all of us...

so we could repent and draw close to him.
Say NO to PAGAN IDOLATRY

Yuba City, CA

#17039 Oct 9, 2012
Gladiator76 wrote:
<quoted text>
Contradiction is your favorite isnt it? You believe in how to cut bell peppers but not the other videos. If mormons werent so secret about their cult activities, no one would be able to put stuff out like that.
You DO REALIZE that on the INTERNET

YOU JUST ADMITTED YOU GET YOUR FACTS
from a PLACE that has as MUCH VETTING for the END of the WORLD,
AS
for
dicing peppers.

YOU * DO * KNOW * this * is * the * INTERNET,
and you JUST ADMITTED

YOUR EDUCATION
comes from Y-O-U-T-U-B-E ?

And YOU'RE not emBARRASSed.?No?

OkIE DOKie, then.

Forsyth, MO

#17040 Oct 9, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>The movie the Godmakers got that from this:

... it will be seen that the great Messiah who was the founder of the Christian religion, was a polygamist,... the Messiah chose to ... by marrying many honorable wives himself, show to all future generations that he approbated the plurality of wives under the Christian dispensation....

We have now clearly shown that GOD THE FATHER HAD A PLURALITY OF WIVES, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits as well as the spirit of Jesus His first Born, and another being upon the earth by whom He begat the tabernacle of Jesus, as his only begotten in this world. We have also proved most clearly that the Son followed the example of his Father, and became the great Bridegroom to whom kings' daughters and many honorable wives were to be married. We have also proved that both GOD THE FATHER AND OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST INHERIT THEIR WIVES in eternity as well as in time; ... it would be so shocking to the modesty of the very pious ladies of Christendom to see Abraham and his wives, Jacob and his wives, Jesus and his honorable wives, all eating occasionally at the same table,... If you do not want your morals corrupted, and your delicate ears shocked and your pious modesty put to the blush by the society of polygamists and their wives, do not venture near the New Earth; for polygamists will be honored there, and will be among the chief rulers in that Kingdom (The Seer, p. 172).
The stuff presented in the Godmakers was from from anti and ex Mormon Ed Decker and Christian apologist Dave Hunt. The film is inaccurate and vile and has been condemned by such groups as the National Conference of Christians and Jews as an inaccurate portrayal of the Mormon Church and very offensive.

Forsyth, MO

#17041 Oct 9, 2012
Gladiator76 wrote:
<quoted text>Blah blah blah lamo
Still reading my posts. Good, maybe you'll learn something.
Say NO to PAGAN IDOLATRY

Yuba City, CA

#17042 Oct 9, 2012
sportxmouse wrote:
now...
2 seperate entities...
1) Fundamentalist (according to Wiki) force people to follow
2) The LDS Church (has free agency)
Yeah she 'FORGOT' about that part.

Wow.

Marysville, CA

#17043 Oct 9, 2012
<quoted text>
I've been through several temples and I've done work for the dead. I've never seen any beds. Couches, chairs, benches, wheelchairs, etc. No beds.
To be fair, I haven't either, though there could be one in the temple Presidents office in case someone becomes ill. That has happened. A lot of senior citizens go through the temple.

But there was rumors of beds being in the endowment house in the early days when polygamy was still being hidden. I know I have read of dances being held in the temple at those times also. I have a picture of a spittoon in the SL temple that was taken in the 1800's, so there use to be tobacco chewing there.

How much do you suppose goes annually from this Territory, and has for ten or twelve years past, in gold and silver, to supply the people with tobacco? I will say $60,000. Brother William H. Hooper, our Delegate in Congress, came here in 1849, and during about eight years he was selling goods his sales for tobacco alone amounted to over $28,000 a year. At the same time there were other stores that sold their share and drew their share of the money expended yearly, besides what has been brought in by the keg and by the half keg. The traders and passing emigration have sold tons of tobacco, besides what is sold here regularly. I say that $60,000 annually is the smallest figure I can estimate the sales at. Tobacco can be raised here as well as it can be raised in any other place. It wants attention and care. If we use it, let us raise it here. I recommend for some man to go to raising tobacco. One man, who came here last fall, is going to do so; and if he is diligent, he will raise quite a quantity. I want to see some man go to and make a business of raising tobacco and stop sending money out of the Territory for that article.(Journal of Discourses, Vol.9, p.35, Brigham Young, April 7, 1861)

Here is another picture of a spittoon in the temple that is different from the one I've seen: http://www.mormondoctrine.net/images/Celestia...
Say NO to PAGAN IDOLATRY

Yuba City, CA

#17044 Oct 9, 2012
sorry double post

Forsyth, MO

#17045 Oct 9, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Wow....how sad, u agree with a man who says masturbation is satanic and causes less conversions.
??? I said the Church has always been opposed to sexual activity outside of marriage, and that's what you came back with??? Pathetic as usual, NoHo.

Marysville, CA

#17046 Oct 9, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a mission president admonishing you for masturbation..and how it's affecting your baptism numbers???
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd1nzk_mormo...
That is such a great lead in for a joke, but I'm going to control myself this time.

Location hidden

#17047 Oct 9, 2012
Gold statues on temples. God said not to worship false idols. The moroni stuff is BS. Name one city in the book of mormon that is on google maps.

Location hidden

#17048 Oct 9, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair, I haven't either, though there could be one in the temple Presidents office in case someone becomes ill. That has happened. A lot of senior citizens go through the temple.
But there was rumors of beds being in the endowment house in the early days when polygamy was still being hidden. I know I have read of dances being held in the temple at those times also. I have a picture of a spittoon in the SL temple that was taken in the 1800's, so there use to be tobacco chewing there.
How much do you suppose goes annually from this Territory, and has for ten or twelve years past, in gold and silver, to supply the people with tobacco? I will say $60,000. Brother William H. Hooper, our Delegate in Congress, came here in 1849, and during about eight years he was selling goods his sales for tobacco alone amounted to over $28,000 a year. At the same time there were other stores that sold their share and drew their share of the money expended yearly, besides what has been brought in by the keg and by the half keg. The traders and passing emigration have sold tons of tobacco, besides what is sold here regularly. I say that $60,000 annually is the smallest figure I can estimate the sales at. Tobacco can be raised here as well as it can be raised in any other place. It wants attention and care. If we use it, let us raise it here. I recommend for some man to go to raising tobacco. One man, who came here last fall, is going to do so; and if he is diligent, he will raise quite a quantity. I want to see some man go to and make a business of raising tobacco and stop sending money out of the Territory for that article.(Journal of Discourses, Vol.9, p.35, Brigham Young, April 7, 1861)
Here is another picture of a spittoon in the temple that is different from the one I've seen: http://www.mormondoctrine.net/images/Celestia...
I have read that mormons once used wine in sacraments until it got too expensive. Then GOD told smith that it was bad for them. THere is just too many changes in the religion and everyone gets confused.

Marysville, CA

#17049 Oct 9, 2012
http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon525.htm This has a great report of some speculations about what the Mormons did in the temple in the early days of the church.

""Despite injunctions for secrecy, accounts soon began to circulate about the temple rituals. During the 28 December 1845 meeting of the Quorum of the Anointed,[Heber C.] Kimball had, according to [William] Clayton,'alluded to the stories in circulation that several persons had been killed on their way through the ordinances, and that men and women were stripped naked here. Joseph [Smith] said that for men and women to hold their tongues, was their salvation."

Very Entertaining, even for Mormons.

Marysville, CA

#17050 Oct 9, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow....how sad, u agree with a man who says masturbation is satanic and causes less conversions.
The Bible says absolutely nothing against masturbation. Just wanted to throw that in. It's sad when a church tries to put fear in it's children over touching themselves, making them feel unclean and dirty when they are doing nothing wrong. That is one reason many consider Mormonism a cult.
Dirtbag Romney

Portland, OR

#17051 Oct 9, 2012
Gladiator76 wrote:
Gold statues on temples. God said not to worship false idols. The moroni stuff is BS. Name one city in the book of mormon that is on google maps.
The Church of Scumbag Romney says that Jesus Christ will rise YET AGAIN - third time a charm - in Independence, MO home to Truman of the A Bomb fame.

Yep, Dirtbag Romney, the face and heart and soul and brain of Mormon is a lying piece of anti-American filth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama sends the wrong message about stay-at-hom... 1 hr vib_ram 5
News Judge Kelly gets rash of compliments (Jan '08) 1 hr Gerald Price 4
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) 2 hr Baybeh 6,460
News Putin's tightened grip (Apr '07) 3 hr 1steamer 57
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 hr WasteWater 31,789
News Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... (Jun '14) 5 hr how 67
News Opinion: Best of the Web: Hillary: The Censor 8 hr Cat74 62
More from around the web