Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31994 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#16627 Oct 6, 2012
NOMO HOMO PAGANISMS wrote:
So you can HO HO your way to hell but you're not going to come here and tell people latter day saints believe that if you just
DITCH the COMMANDMENTS you don't APPROVE he'll keep you on his team.
Because if your bishop or stake president finds out you've been in here BARKING REBELLION
you'll go be back with the Baptists you came out of.
My bishop is well aware of my feelings. I don't answer to my Bishop, I answer to my heavenly father. Not to mention, the vile things you say here are FAR from christian. You ditch most of the commandments. You are vile, nasty, intolerant, and you disgust me. You aren't working for God, you are here to judge and prove those who hate us right.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16628 Oct 6, 2012
sportxmouse wrote:
Perhaps the surest test of an individual's integrity is his refusal to do or say anything that would damage his self-respect.
Thomas Monson.
---
Wisdom is knowing the right path to take,
Integrity is taking it!
---
Now it is obvious why my posting the PROPHETS words offended you... because you are not ashamed to go against them.
I'm not offended by you not ashamed. I'm just here to tell the world that your standards are not the LDS Church's standards.
The LDS Church is being misrepresented by you.
Deuteronomy 18:21-22 ESV
And if you say in your heart,‘How may we know the word that the Lord has not spoken?’— when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

"Yea, the word of the Lord concerning his church, established in the last days for the restoration of his people, as he has spoken by the mouth of his prophets, and for the gathering of his saints to stand upon Mount Zion,i which shall be the city of New Jerusalem. 3 Which city shall be built, beginning at the temple lot, which is appointed by the finger of the Lord, in the western boundaries of the State of Missouri, and dedicated by the hand of Joseph Smith, Jun., and others with whom the Lord was well pleased. 4 Verily this is the word of the Lord, that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints, beginning at this place, even the place of the temple, which temple shall be reared in this generation. 5 For verily this generation shall not all pass away until an house shall be built unto the Lord, and a cloud shall rest upon it, which cloud shall be even the glory of the Lord, which shall fill the house... 31 Therefore, as I said concerning the sons of Moses for the sons of Moses and also the sons of Aaron shall offer an acceptable offering and sacrifice in the house of the Lord, which house shall be built unto the Lord in this generation, upon the consecrated spot as I have appointed." (Doctrines and Covenants 84:2-5,31.)

Hasn't happened even today and it is long past the time of Smith's generation.

"Verily, thus saith the Lord concerning the wars that will shortly come to pass, beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina, which will eventually terminate in the death and misery of many souls; 2 And the time will come that war will be poured out upon all nations, beginning at this place. 3 For behold, the Southern States shall be divided against the Northern States, and the Southern States will call on other nations, even the nation of Great Britain, as it is called, and they shall also call upon other nations, in order to defend themselves against other nations; and then war shall be poured out upon all nations," (Doctrine and Covenants 87:1-3).

Another false policy. No other nation got involved with the Civil War. EPIC FAIL.

"For not many days hence and the earth shall tremble and reel to and fro as a drunken man; and the sun shall hide his face, and shall refuse to give light; and the moon shall be bathed in blood; and the stars shall become exceedingly angry, and shall cast themselves down as a fig that falleth from off a fig-tree," (Doctrine and Covenants 88:87)

The sun hasn't yet been hidden nor has the moon hidden its face.
This prophecy was given on 12/27/1832. "Not many days hence"? Since the writing of this article on 6/22/06, it has been 63,364 days or 173 years, 5 months, 26 days. I think that 63,364 days is more than "not many days".
For reference to January 1, 2000 it was 61,000 days (even), or 167 years, 5 days.

Another Epic Fail.

Sarah has nothing to worry about, from God anyway. From judgmental Mormons, everything.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16629 Oct 6, 2012
I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one here who wonders in how many ways you fail to obey the teachings of the LDS church. If you say "none" we will at least know that you don't keep the commandments not to lie.
NOMO HOMO PAGANISMS

Live Oak, CA

#16630 Oct 6, 2012
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> My bishop is well aware of my feelings. I don't answer to my Bishop, I answer to my heavenly father. Not to mention, the vile things you say here are FAR from christian. You ditch most of the commandments. You are vile, nasty, intolerant, and you disgust me. You aren't working for God, you are here to judge and prove those who hate us right.
Oh, yes you do answer to your Bishop.

It's his job to ensure you don't go around teaching the Gospel

falsely,
representing the church as strutting, barking, whores and queers,

defying God to base
YOUR PERMISSION
to have MEMBERSHIP

on who YOU SAY you'll answer to;

You'll respect organizations' rules you join
or you'll be in another organization.
Shortly.
Oh, yes,
you will.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#16631 Oct 6, 2012
I do not justify or say my actions as MORMONISM.

YOU are wrong for doing so.

Whatever I have done "my actions" are not the Church standards, and I have to take care of my actions with Heavenly Father not you!

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#16632 Oct 6, 2012
I am a Mormon not Mormonism... neither are you.

Mormonism is the Church standards... the teachings and commandments of Heavenly Father.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16633 Oct 6, 2012
1 John 1:9-10(NASB)

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#16634 Oct 6, 2012
Perhaps the surest test of an individual's integrity is his refusal to do or say anything that would damage his self-respect.

Thomas Monson.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#16635 Oct 6, 2012
sportxmouse wrote:
I do not think you understand me.
You representing YOU is one thing... and I'm cool with that.
But you misrepresenting the Church standards is another.
If you want to find the references to your claims that YOU as a member of the LDS Church gets to define God's laws, and the standards of the Church as LDS Doctrine... I would like to see that.
Because MORMONISM is STANDARDS... it's OBEDIENCE to the STANDARDS... that is called DUTY.
Really? The greatest commandment in the church that we are taught, that we we teach out kids, is love one another as Jesus loves you. Love is tolerance, forgiveness, understanding and acceptance. I don't care if you like it or not. I represent the MAJORITY. Get over it.
NOMO HOMO PAGANISMS

Live Oak, CA

#16636 Oct 6, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one here who wonders in how many ways you fail to obey the teachings of the LDS church. If you say "none" we will at least know that you don't keep the commandments not to lie.
You've asked people here multiple times to discuss their underwear.

Your bona fides as that which looks, sniffs, and prowls for sin
are unquestioned.

Your destruction is as sure as every man who goes to the grave to awaken, and be told 'We need to discuss with you, how you did down in the simulator.'

Because you barking strutting queers and adultery teachers are
ALL
the same.

ALL of you are the same because AS IT'S SAID: THOSE WHO AREN'T THAT

will be ALL the SAME
in that they don't teach that.

As far as PROPHETIC CORRECTION goes,

we saw how well YOUR PROPHETS DID with that "let's INSTALL HOMOSEXUALS in the priesthood."

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16637 Oct 6, 2012
sportxmouse wrote:
I do not think you understand me.
You representing YOU is one thing... and I'm cool with that.
But you misrepresenting the Church standards is another.
If you want to find the references to your claims that YOU as a member of the LDS Church gets to define God's laws, and the standards of the Church as LDS Doctrine... I would like to see that.
Because MORMONISM is STANDARDS... it's OBEDIENCE to the STANDARDS... that is called DUTY.
She is a lot closer to the kingdom of Heaven than you can ever hope to be.

Romans 13:10
Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

1 Corinthians 13:13
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Peter 4:8
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

1 John 4:7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Sarah passes these verses. You fail it completely.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16638 Oct 6, 2012
sportxmouse wrote:
Perhaps the surest test of an individual's integrity is his refusal to do or say anything that would damage his self-respect.
Thomas Monson.
Like telling a lie?

Mrs. Patton, do you exist?

Many months ago it was brought to my attention that there was a story shared by President Thomas S. Monson that had some contradictions in it. These contradictions were seen because he had talked about the same story many years before. I did some research on the people mentioned in the story to attempt to discover the historical truth.

I was only able to discover the errors and so I share it with you. Perhaps there is someone who can offer an explanation to the contradictory story told in two General Conferences of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The most recent version of this story is titled “Mrs. Patton-The Story Continues,” General Conference, October 2007.[1] The initial story was told in General Conference, April 1969. It was reprinted in the New Era, April 1991, and titled “Mrs. Patton, Arthur Lives.”[2] This story has now been made into a Mormon Message and can be found here: http://lds.org/church/until-we-meet-aga ... rs.+patton

In this story Monson talks of a childhood friend, Arthur Patton. He gives a physical description and says that Arthur “stood taller than any boy in class.” It is unclear whether Monson was in the same class as Arthur. Monson was born in August 1927 and Arthur is said to have been born about August 1925, a difference of 2 years. Arthur would have been a class or two ahead of Monson. Thomas Monson attended West High School in Salt Lake City, Utah from 1940-1944. The (Spring) 1938 West High Yearbook does not have an Arthur Patton as a student, but that is probably too early.[3] The 1939 and 1940 yearbooks have not yet been scanned onto the schools website. A Classmates.com subscription granted me access to the 1939 and 1940 yearbooks. There is not an Arthur Patton in either of those yearbooks.[4]

The story goes that Arthur joined the Navy in 1940 as a tall 15 year old. The US did not enter in to World War II until December 7, 1941. It seems unlikely, though not impossible, that a 15 year old would feel compelled to enter service in the Navy before the US even entered the war. The letter from Mrs. Patton indicates that he joined at age 15 which would have been anytime between August of 1940 and August of 1941.

There are contradictions between the two stories that were told.

In the first version,“Mrs. Patton, Arthur Lives,” it is claimed that Arthur Patton served on the Lexington and died in the Battle of the Coral Sea on May 8, 1942. The Lexington did sink on that day with as many as 300 lives lost.[5]

The follow up version,“Mrs. Patton, The Story Continues,” gives a different account. It is claimed that Arthur was lost at sea while aboard the USS White Plains at Saipan. A cited letter from Mrs. Patton contains the death date July 5, 1944. The USS White Plains was not in combat during that date. From Wikipedia,“The USS White Plains departed the combat zone on 2 July but, after a week at Eniwetok, returned to the Marianas with her air squadron upgraded to a total of 28 aircraft.”[6]

To be continued...

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16640 Oct 6, 2012
Sources:
1.“Mrs. Patton, Arthur Lives” lds.org . http://lds.org/new-era/1991/04/mrs-patt ... rs.+patton
2.“Mrs. Patton- The Story Continues” lds.org . http://lds.org/general-conference/2007/ ... rs.+patton
3. West High School Yearbooks website. http://west.slcschools.org/alumni/Publi ... rbooks.htm
4. Classmates.com West High School Yearbooks
5. USS Lexington Wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lexington_ (CV-2)#Battle_of_the_Coral_Sea
6. USS White Plains Wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_White_Plains... (CVE-66)#World_War_II
7. Casualty page where “Arthur Patton” of Utah should appear. http://media.nara.gov/media/images/27/32/27-3...
8. Ancestry.com Public Family Tree. I have not verified information from this family tree.

Original source(for Crazy) at: http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...

Monson should practice what he preaches.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16641 Oct 6, 2012
NOMO HOMO PAGANISMS wrote:
<quoted text>
You've asked people here multiple times to discuss their underwear.
Your bona fides as that which looks, sniffs, and prowls for sin
are unquestioned.
Your destruction is as sure as every man who goes to the grave to awaken, and be told 'We need to discuss with you, how you did down in the simulator.'
Because you barking strutting queers and adultery teachers are
ALL
the same.
ALL of you are the same because AS IT'S SAID: THOSE WHO AREN'T THAT
will be ALL the SAME
in that they don't teach that.
As far as PROPHETIC CORRECTION goes,
we saw how well YOUR PROPHETS DID with that "let's INSTALL HOMOSEXUALS in the priesthood."
That's not answering the question. So lying by deception is certainly one of the commandments you break of the church. Only the leaders are allow to lie for the Lord.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#16642 Oct 6, 2012
Conference is starting again, be back later...

Since: Sep 12

West Plains, MO

#16643 Oct 6, 2012
sportxmouse wrote:
I am not here to UNDERSTAND you not ashamed.
I have stated that multiple times.

YOU choose to follow how you choose... but representing the Church standards or don't.

I hope one day you truly grow up and stop your rebellion. I have a son just like you. I love him, but he chooses... only thing is he does not say... my choices are MORMONISM.

No... doing wrong willfully is not MORMONISM. Following Christ will and commandments is MORMONISM.
I realize this is between you and her; however, I do not see how Not Ashamed is misrepresenting the Church and it's standards. In fact, I think how she believes and acts is a excellent representation of the Church and how we should be towards others. We as members are far from perfect and know and are well aware of our weaknesses. We should be working on those weaknesses all the while we are fostering love for our fellow man. It's not your job or my job as members to point out someone's short-comings. Rather, we are to work on "perfecting the Saints," meaning perfecting ourselves. I forget who it was who said, "I would rather be sitting in Church next to someone who smells like alcohol and cigarette smoke than someone who doesn't. That way I know that person is where they should be." In other words, instead of pointing out people's faults, we need to love them and be their friends. By pointing out their faults, we are only alienating them, and us. I don't see her as doing that at all. In fact, quite the opposite.
Father Overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

#16644 Oct 6, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
Conference is starting again, be back later...
Inthenameofdanarobertsgospel, amen.

The reason for the missionary age change was to make it more streamline with education. Silly Dana always trying to tell people the church is struggling.

“Mormons will brainwash you”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#16645 Oct 6, 2012
fedupwiththemess wrote:
I do. They do not go by the bible nor does the bible mention mormonism it it. They have created a so called "extension" or another book of the bible calling it the book of mormon. Mormonism was created by a horny man wanting to screw more than one woman so he made it up saying GOD told him to do so. Women fell for it.
Exactly!

“Mormons will brainwash you”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#16646 Oct 6, 2012
Mommy2Bof3 wrote:
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
We believe that man will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
We believe that through the Atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel.
We believe that the first principals and ordinances of the gospel are first, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, second, repentence; third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, laying.on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof.
We believe in the same organization that existed in the primitive church, namely apostles, prophets pastures, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
Right out of that book! Not the bible. Same things the flds believe too!

“Mormons will brainwash you”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#16647 Oct 6, 2012
Mommy2Bof3 wrote:
Please visit www.lds.org for an accurate description of the LDS, or Mormon, beliefs. What I have posted above are the 13 Articles of Faith. They are an outline of what the LDS church believes. As you can see, we DO believe in Jesus Christ and in the Bible. ;)
That's not in the bible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Diane Dimond: Failure to act on immigration ref... 35 min commenters 1
News The Republican Party is dead 56 min YourEx 719
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr Sprinkles5144 35,949
News Americans don't like Hillary Clinton or Donald ... 2 hr WasteWater 40
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) 6 hr baybeh 7,141
News Joe Biden would be an excellent 'slip-in' candi... 8 hr Le Jimbo 6
News Facebook Feedback for Saturday, Oct. 22 from Da... (Oct '11) 9 hr martin garey 18
More from around the web