Letters: The Falklands and self-deter...

Letters: The Falklands and self-determination

There are 199 comments on the The Guardian story from Jan 3, 2013, titled Letters: The Falklands and self-determination. In it, The Guardian reports that:

New negotiations on the Falklands are apparently ruled out because their future "can only be decided by the islanders in accordance with the UN principle of self-determination" . Can we expect the government to follow the same principle on the rights of the Chagos people in relation to their Diego Garcia home? They are British citizens, roughly the ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Guardian.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Tom

Vienna, Austria

#1 Jan 3, 2013
Mr Meadowcroft should know that two wrongs don't make a right. Undoubtedly the Chagos Islanders have been treated abominably and Cameron would greatly increase his standing if he redressed the Chagos issue and correctly ignored the rants of la Peronista.
sirderam

Preston, UK

#2 Jan 3, 2013
Tom wrote:
Mr Meadowcroft should know that two wrongs don't make a right. Undoubtedly the Chagos Islanders have been treated abominably and Cameron would greatly increase his standing if he redressed the Chagos issue and correctly ignored the rants of la Peronista.
Hear! Hear!

I get very tired listening to these idiots who seem to feel that screwing over the Falkland Islanders is the only fair thing to do and that that will somehow balance out the sins of the past. Though in truth I know they only say these things because they are very stupid and ignorant people who wish to appear clever and wise.
El malvinense

Richmond Hill, Canada

#3 Jan 4, 2013
sirderam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hear! Hear!
I get very tired listening to these idiots who seem to feel that screwing over the Falkland Islanders is the only fair thing to do and that that will somehow balance out the sins of the past. Though in truth I know they only say these things because they are very stupid and ignorant people who wish to appear clever and wise.
Screwing them? No uk screw Argentina...It is time for Justice..
sirderam

Preston, UK

#4 Jan 4, 2013
El malvinense wrote:
<quoted text>
Screwing them? No uk screw Argentina...It is time for Justice..
No, the UK has never screwed Argentina - you're just not that good looking - even with the beer goggles on!
Ricardo

Haedo, Argentina

#5 Jan 4, 2013
The Chagos case proved for ever that the pretended strong feelings of the UK regarding the inhabitants wishes are hypocritical bullshit
That guys bothered they cousins for installing a military base, so they were cast away immediately
Nice.
Ricardo

Haedo, Argentina

#6 Jan 4, 2013
Tom wrote:
Mr Meadowcroft should know that two wrongs don't make a right. Undoubtedly the Chagos Islanders have been treated abominably and Cameron would greatly increase his standing if he redressed the Chagos issue and correctly ignored the rants of la Peronista.
You are assuming wrongly that the UK values more their colonies people wishes than the land they live in
Why do you think they do not do what you suggest?
There is no other explanation, I give you all the time you want to find an answer
And, please, do not say it is because they are dumb and did not think about it.
Ricardo

Haedo, Argentina

#7 Jan 4, 2013
sirderam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hear! Hear!
I get very tired listening to these idiots who seem to feel that screwing over the Falkland Islanders is the only fair thing to do and that that will somehow balance out the sins of the past. Though in truth I know they only say these things because they are very stupid and ignorant people who wish to appear clever and wise.
Stop with that crap of presenting the islanders as victims facing a horrible future
They face no danger whatsoever
Argentina will have much more consideration for them than you ever had
Your troops named them hobbits
Deanstreet

Stanley, Falkland Islands (Malvinas)

#8 Jan 4, 2013
Self determination rules ok for us...

We'll have nothing to do with you dickie..

Except when you start talking to US dickie..

The troops also called us "ben's", do you wish to know what they called you argentines..?

Kindest regards from the Falkland Islands
well

Hamilton, Canada

#9 Jan 4, 2013
Next year Scotland is going to do the same.
BritBob

Slough, UK

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Tom wrote:
Mr Meadowcroft should know that two wrongs don't make a right. Undoubtedly the Chagos Islanders have been treated abominably and Cameron would greatly increase his standing if he redressed the Chagos issue and correctly ignored the rants of la Peronista.
The Chagos islanders were compensated at the time of the move. Okay, more could have been done. However, they've recently taken their case to the European Courts of Justice and they lost.
BritBob

Slough, UK

#11 Jan 6, 2013
well wrote:
Next year Scotland is going to do the same.
Got about 30% popular support so far according to the polls. Aparently, a majority of English support Scottish independence and this is making some people north of the border think twice.
BritBob

Slough, UK

#12 Jan 6, 2013
Ricardo wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop with that crap of presenting the islanders as victims facing a horrible future
They face no danger whatsoever
Argentina will have much more consideration for them than you ever had
Your troops named them hobbits
But the islanders are quite happy as they are. Time to stop the mad woman and the propaganda.
cjrian

Denver, CO

#13 Jan 7, 2013
Is it simply coincidence that every time the (Socialist) Argentine government causes internal turmoil by overspending, over-regulating, and, in general, destroying their economy, that they attempt to claim the Falklands?
El malvinense

Richmond Hill, Canada

#14 Jan 7, 2013
cjrian wrote:
Is it simply coincidence that every time the (Socialist) Argentine government causes internal turmoil by overspending, over-regulating, and, in general, destroying their economy, that they attempt to claim the Falklands?
To claim? HArdly,Argentina been claiming Malvinas since the brits scum,after signing the treaty of commerce and friendship,invaded..But justice will prevail,and uk will be destroyed....!
El malvinense

Richmond Hill, Canada

#15 Jan 7, 2013
BritBob wrote:
<quoted text>
But the islanders are quite happy as they are. Time to stop the mad woman and the propaganda.
PELOTUDO! bob,just kill the bottle!
El malvinense

Richmond Hill, Canada

#16 Jan 7, 2013
Deanstreet wrote:
Self determination rules ok for us...
We'll have nothing to do with you dickie..
Except when you start talking to US dickie..
The troops also called us "ben's", do you wish to know what they called you argentines..?
MALVINAS ARGENTINAS
Who cares about you,pelotudo! excrement!
cjrian

Denver, CO

#17 Jan 9, 2013
El malvinense wrote:
To claim? HArdly,Argentina been claiming Malvinas since the brits scum,after signing the treaty of commerce and friendship,invaded..But justice will prevail,and uk will be destroyed....!
Ya missed the poinbt - several points, actually

First and foremost is that regardless of how long Argentina has laid to the FALKLANDS, they only assert their claim when their Socialist economy is in collapse. A good response to internal turmoil, for failed Plutocrats, is an artificial external crisis.

Second, is that it is the residents, themselves, who determine their allegiance, not geography. The Falklands, with NO indigenous population was settled by Europeans long before Argentina existed as a Country

Third, Argentina, over time, has been very expansionary. At times, it has laid claim to parts (or all) of Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruaguay. This is just another expansionary foray, considering that Argentina cannot forcibly overrun any other areas

Fourth, the Falklands War was incited by Argentina's Military invasion of the Falklands, not by subterfuge on the part of the UK.
El malvinense

Richmond Hill, Canada

#18 Jan 10, 2013
cjrian wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya missed the poinbt - several points, actually
First and foremost is that regardless of how long Argentina has laid to the FALKLANDS, they only assert their claim when their Socialist economy is in collapse. A good response to internal turmoil, for failed Plutocrats, is an artificial external crisis.
Second, is that it is the residents, themselves, who determine their allegiance, not geography. The Falklands, with NO indigenous population was settled by Europeans long before Argentina existed as a Country
Third, Argentina, over time, has been very expansionary. At times, it has laid claim to parts (or all) of Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruaguay. This is just another expansionary foray, considering that Argentina cannot forcibly overrun any other areas
Fourth, the Falklands War was incited by Argentina's Military invasion of the Falklands, not by subterfuge on the part of the UK.
Just read History PELOTUDO! MAlvvinas discovered by Spain,1520,by Camargo,see maps sitting in France,1530,well before the brits even knew the existence of AMERICA.
uk RENOUNCE to MAlvinas,at the treaty of Utrech and San Lorenzo(NOOTKA),Over 20 Spanish governors,were in MAlvinas,a dependency of Buenos Aires,the Capital of the Viceroyalty of the RIver Plate.Some were even born in Buenos Aires.1810 Independene from Spain.Claim all the territories of the Viceroyalty.1811.uk sent a congratulation letter to UP of the RIver Plate.No mention or claim to MAlvinas.1813,sent money for a prsion peronnel in MAlvinas.1820 sent a fully commisioned officer to adminester malvina,Jewett,declare it in front of ship from over 50 nationalities,including brits.No complain by the brits.1825 Treaty of commerce and frienship,signed uk and Argentina.No complain by the brits about MAlvinas.PELOTUDO! Unemployed hooligan
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

#19 Jan 10, 2013
El malvinense wrote:
<quoted text>
Just read History PELOTUDO! MAlvvinas discovered by Spain,1520,by Camargo,see maps sitting in France,1530,well before the brits even knew the existence of AMERICA.
uk RENOUNCE to MAlvinas,at the treaty of Utrech and San Lorenzo(NOOTKA),Over 20 Spanish governors,were in MAlvinas,a dependency of Buenos Aires,the Capital of the Viceroyalty of the RIver Plate.Some were even born in Buenos Aires.1810 Independene from Spain.Claim all the territories of the Viceroyalty.1811.uk sent a congratulation letter to UP of the RIver Plate.No mention or claim to MAlvinas.1813,sent money for a prsion peronnel in MAlvinas.1820 sent a fully commisioned officer to adminester malvina,Jewett,declare it in front of ship from over 50 nationalities,including brits.No complain by the brits.1825 Treaty of commerce and frienship,signed uk and Argentina.No complain by the brits about MAlvinas.PELOTUDO! Unemployed hooligan
Just to show us all your not a complete bozo. Show us the how and the where, in the Treaty of Utrech and the Nooka Convention the British renouncement of the islands. The of Commerce was exactly that, a mercantile agreement. So what is it's supposed relevance? Church St. loser.
Surabayan

Puchong, Malaysia

#20 Jan 10, 2013
New negotiations on the Falklands are apparently ruled out because their future "can only be decided by the islanders in accordance with the UN principle of self-determination" . Can we expect the go.....

What a load of crap!
All the thieves are in the same boat, or island. Of course they want to keep their stolen properties.
The Argentinians should start droning them out!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 36 min Ronald 1,651
News Trump's Muslim backers celebrate his success 49 min tomin cali 2
News Opinion Line 1 hr Bud Fair 1
News Assault weapon bans should stand 2 hr FormerParatrooper 755
News Why Japan lost Aussie sub bid 4 hr Mfffk2 1
News Danny Smith: a gentle reminder of Journal's rol... 5 hr NFL 13
News Hawaii Sperm Bank still in business, owner says... (Sep '09) 7 hr Dump da Chump Bird 26
More from around the web