Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 34844 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#24219 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
First you foolishly claim ss couples DO equate to these distinctions.
Then you admit there are differences.
What you are attempting to do is minimize gender distinctions so you can equate a relationship. Not all relationships are equal. That is a fact that your words cannot make disappear.
Can SSCouples procreate, yes and no. Is that the issue, no. You try hard to make it the distinction.

Anchorage, AK

#24220 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess Adam spoke for God;
Matthew 19:4-6 (NASB)
And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
5 and said,'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'?
6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
I know you don't accept common Christian doctrine.
It is not that I don't accept common Christian doctrine but thanks for clarifying that it is doctrine that you are talking about. Now we are beginning to understand each other.

The above quote from Matthew is just that, doctrine. The NT is the beginning of 2000 years of discourse. How you interpret the NT is your contribution to that discourse.

Clarification is necessary of the Greek words. First one cannot infer that 19: 4-6 speaks about marriage. The Greek word is, gamEsE. It is translated "Should be marrying." The meaning of the Greek root, gamo, is, politely stated, to have intercourse. So, the passage is saying that a man should have intercourse with his woman. And, according to culture at that time, you lay you pay. Meaning you are obligated to the woman you do. But there is no word for marry or marriage.

Carry this idea further and you begin to see that the morality of this situation has to do with a woman's rights. We know this because of the issue interpreted as divorce. Again, the Greek word is not translated divorce, it is, dismissed. This is then the teaching that Jesus presents, not about marriage as if God defines marriage.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#24221 Jan 12, 2014
Angel wrote:
I think a lot of people mistake the bible for the constitution.
The bible is for Christians. Not everyone in this country is Christian.
This countries laws aren't based on religion. We have religious freedom in this country.
Just because you don't 'like' gay marriage, doesn't mean everyone feels the same way as you, and it doesn't mean you get to tell everyone how to live.
Try focusing on something that is actually harmful, like obesity, or smoking.
And try practicing some acceptance and some peace, maybe meditate or something.
Most Christians have very little understanding of the Bible.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#24222 Jan 12, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
His question is pertinent and, unlike yours, doesn't assume knowledge that he cannot have.
Stop dodging and give a considered answer.
Hardly dodging and certainly not difficult to know.

You can start with any culture present and find one that prevents a couple from marrying because of a medical difficulty.

A far more pertinent question than one trying to impose a new standard that has never existed.

Location hidden

#24223 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are attempting to do is minimize gender distinctions so you can equate a relationship. Not all relationships are equal. That is a fact that your words cannot make disappear.
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Do human emotions equate to themselves?
You mean does anger equate to jealousy?

Your point?

What does it have to do with my statement?

Location hidden

#24224 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Can SSCouples procreate, yes and no. Is that the issue, no. You try hard to make it the distinction.
Really not sure what you are trying to say...

I'd guess snyper and you are having a good time drinking though...

Location hidden

#24225 Jan 12, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not that I don't accept common Christian doctrine but thanks for clarifying that it is doctrine that you are talking about. Now we are beginning to understand each other.
The above quote from Matthew is just that, doctrine. The NT is the beginning of 2000 years of discourse. How you interpret the NT is your contribution to that discourse.
Clarification is necessary of the Greek words. First one cannot infer that 19: 4-6 speaks about marriage. The Greek word is, gamEsE. It is translated "Should be marrying." The meaning of the Greek root, gamo, is, politely stated, to have intercourse. So, the passage is saying that a man should have intercourse with his woman. And, according to culture at that time, you lay you pay. Meaning you are obligated to the woman you do. But there is no word for marry or marriage.
Carry this idea further and you begin to see that the morality of this situation has to do with a woman's rights. We know this because of the issue interpreted as divorce. Again, the Greek word is not translated divorce, it is, dismissed. This is then the teaching that Jesus presents, not about marriage as if God defines marriage.

You are the only one who carries your ideas further. A star trek of the mind...less.

I simply pointed out that Jesus credited God with that designation, and did so in the context of divorce, making the passage one about marriage.

If you want to twist some sinister chauvinistic meaning to it, that is your right. Most people just don't think you are right.

SMile.
Angel

Aurora, CO

#24226 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So, let's not pay attention to the details, lets just pretend there is no difference, and everything will be okay? Your brush off by calling salt and salt 'seasoning' is a perfect example.
We call that Pollyannaish, and the denial about the cause carries over to denial about the consequences.
God says to speak the truth in love. I'll go with that.
Smile.
I don't pay attention to the negatives, only the positives. I don't make excuses why things can't work out, I find solutions so they can.

Any lgbt person getting married does not directly affect you in any way, nothing about your life changes.

Be a part of the solution not the problem.

Location hidden

#24227 Jan 12, 2014
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't pay attention to the negatives, only the positives. I don't make excuses why things can't work out, I find solutions so they can.
Any lgbt person getting married does not directly affect you in any way, nothing about your life changes.
Be a part of the solution not the problem.
You can't be a part of any solution when you ignore reality.

The idea that a fallacy imposed on the most important relationship in society will have no effect, is ludicrous.

Your claim has already been debunked.

The claim was no-fault divorce would have no affect on children. We now know it follows them into adulthood. And divorce skyrocketed.

The claim was abortion would rare and necessary. 40 million dead babies, couples living out of wedlock and single parent families further decimated society.

Now you are claiming a fraudulent relationship imposed on marriage that requires children not be considered will have no affect.

Stay away from kids honey. You are deadly.

Anchorage, AK

#24228 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You mean does anger equate to jealousy?
Your point?
What does it have to do with my statement?
Medical science has made it possible for women to have a child without sperm.

My point is that a marriage need not be about hetero- couples. Marriages are about relationships and committment.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#24229 Jan 12, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rev Ken, did I not do that?
akopen wrote:
... parody on KiMare's poetry. I'll be more clear next time. Thanks for staying on top of me.
Oops.

My mistake. Not meaning to stay on top. Just hoping to be able to stay with.

Plus, spelling is important. A very important part of a proper exegesis, ya' know?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#24230 Jan 12, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that a marriage need not be about hetero- couples. Marriages are about relationships and committment.
Exactly. Some breeders just don't get it.

Location hidden

#24231 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
First let me ask you a question.
Why is that a problem now since it has that never been difficult for ANY culture in history to determine?
I didn't say that was a problem.

I asked you a question.

Location hidden

#24233 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly dodging and certainly not difficult to know.
You can start with any culture present and find one that prevents a couple from marrying because of a medical difficulty.
A far more pertinent question than one trying to impose a new standard that has never existed.
I know what I asked you. Why can't you answer the question?

If you fudge again, I'll requote the question from the previous page for you.

After all, you are the one who describes yourself as a senile old jackass. So, if your senility is preventing you from answering, I'll gladly help out.

But, more likely is that it is the jackass part.

Location hidden

#24234 Jan 12, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep shifting the issues, you even respond from another person's comments ... the tactic of a loser.

The ability is claimed. The act is considered unethical.

Marriage will always stand distinct from other relationships. Ss couples can never equate.

Location hidden

#24235 Jan 12, 2014
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say that was a problem.
I asked you a question.
It is to the man unable to procreate.

Answer my question, it is more pertinent to the issue and in fact answers your question.

But you know that.

Smile.
Light

San Jose, CA

#24236 Jan 12, 2014
This perversion will not go unpunished. I have spoken.
Angel

Aurora, CO

#24237 Jan 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be a part of any solution when you ignore reality.
The idea that a fallacy imposed on the most important relationship in society will have no effect, is ludicrous.
Your claim has already been debunked.
The claim was no-fault divorce would have no affect on children. We now know it follows them into adulthood. And divorce skyrocketed.
The claim was abortion would rare and necessary. 40 million dead babies, couples living out of wedlock and single parent families further decimated society.
Now you are claiming a fraudulent relationship imposed on marriage that requires children not be considered will have no affect.
Stay away from kids honey. You are deadly.
Honey, my kids, all 6, are doing fabulous. 4 in the us Air Force, 1 graduate of Aberdeen university with a masters , and one in high school. All in successful relationships. And my kids wouldn't have had it any other way.

I don't have claims on anything. I have proof. Gay marriage has been legal, again, in many other countries, for many years, and nothing has changed there except the economy is better. That is proof.

Tell me why, just because some people don't agree, it shouldn't exist? What actual physical thing is going to be so horrible if gay people are allowed to marry? Tell me. Don't avoid the question, answer it directly please.
Light

San Jose, CA

#24238 Jan 12, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Christians have very little understanding of the Bible.
Gay marriage is not in the bible. It is an abomination, now that is in the bible.
Angel

Aurora, CO

#24239 Jan 12, 2014
Light wrote:
<quoted text>Gay marriage is not in the bible. It is an abomination, now that is in the bible.
It doesn't matter. The bible is Christian, not American.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mulcair tiptoes around Manitoba NDP 4 hr turn theknob 4
News President Trump's Legacy: The Great Wall of Mexico 6 hr wild child 1
News OPINION: Column: I-65 construction forces drive... 7 hr hmmmm 1
News Editorial: Raise Californiaa s tobacco tax, reg... 7 hr informer 2
News No shortage of good news in area last week 11 hr Joe to sleep 4
News on Target: Ukrainian conflict about more than g... 13 hr PolakPotrafi 8
News Editorial: Hollywood honors El Paso's Debbie Re... 14 hr plaza Tower sch G... 1
More from around the web