Scholarship on the life of Jesus?
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.
“... truth will out.”
Since: May 08
#1 Feb 24, 2013
Bishop Spong's "Scholarship"
1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.
2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.
3. The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.
4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.
5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.
6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.
7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.
8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age ...
Add your comments below
|Democrats Drop Congeniality as They Fire Away a...||2 hr||Newt G s Next Rel...||65|
|What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15)||4 hr||Travis Turbil||13,071|
|Say it in six words (Jul '08)||6 hr||None||9,910|
|Best Adult Hookup Sites Online||11 hr||izzy||32|
|After 3 decades, this N.J. leader won't be back...||15 hr||Nope||1|
|Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08)||16 hr||paully||32,030|
|Our Opinion: Tupelo moves to leading edge with ... (Dec '15)||18 hr||Lol||10|
Find what you want!
Search Opinion Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC