Scholarship on the life of Jesus?
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.
“... truth will out.”
Since: May 08
#1 Feb 24, 2013
Bishop Spong's "Scholarship"
1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.
2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.
3. The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.
4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.
5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.
6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.
7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.
8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age ...
Add your comments below
|Council support of track - incomprehensible' (Jun '08)||15 min||track and field||3|
|Who says Mormons aren't Christians? (Oct '11)||41 min||Protester||32,004|
|Good News Is Bad for Motivating Voters||44 min||wild child||5|
|Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07)||45 min||I lived to tell t...||6,728|
|Opinion: Decolonizing Canada||1 hr||La Femme Accident||2|
|Alan Chartock: Targeting second-home owners is ...||1 hr||Glen Back||4|
|ER funds not part of hospital campaign (Jan '13)||2 hr||what tricky done 4 U||4|
Find what you want!
Search Opinion Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC