After gang war, Monrovia's wounds slo...

After gang war, Monrovia's wounds slow to heal

There are 71 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Oct 10, 2009, titled After gang war, Monrovia's wounds slow to heal. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

Willie Lee Jr. of Monrovia Calif. and Jeanette Chavez, of Alhambra, Calif. embrace Thursday, January 31, 2008 outside the home where Lee's son Brandon was shot to death Tuesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
donfaroni

Alhambra, CA

#1 Oct 10, 2009
So the diversity thing it not working out like posters with the holding hands?
monrovian

Norwalk, CA

#2 Oct 10, 2009
lol uriel garcia is blind hahaha how they gnna charge him with murder ?? and jimmy santana i heard has a pretty good case apperently there are phone records that put him in a difffrent location at the time of the crime so i dont think any of this is gonna stick sorry mpd

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#3 Oct 11, 2009
Does it suprize anyone in Monrovia or Duarte that there is a Race War going on? This has been going on for YEARS! Every year at least once a month the Blacks and Hispanics meet to square off under the freeway by Duarte High School, The good thing about it there are NO GUN involed!
So why are both City's and the Police suprized its going on?
Patinid

Post Falls, ID

#5 Oct 11, 2009
I am quite sure the Cities know what is going on....and judging from the posters on here it is not about to get any better.They(posters)certinly won't be any help.Maybe your weak little minds will change after something like this happens to some one close to you.
GEW

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#6 Oct 11, 2009
We as a society should take the "legal handcuffs" off of our law enforcement agencies so they can end the gang problems that terrorize and disrupt quality of life for law abiding citizens with the same "street justice" the gang community imploys. Every law abiding citizen should have a "CWP" so that they are able to protect their lives and property like other states (Az,Tex,Fla,Wash,Vt,Ct, just to name a few). This is supported by police and mounds of documentation that show when citizens protect themselves, bad guys DO pause and think about the consequences of their actions.
Personally, I refuse to be a victim or victimized by these thugs and lowlifes, and I will always "carry" everywhere I go in CA. We sure as hell can't count on the idiots in Sacramanto to care about us !!!
Irritated

Newport Beach, CA

#7 Oct 11, 2009
I like that one -- "Law enforcement and city officials... deny the gang war is racially motivated." WTF? Now the cops are as stupid as the idiots they're looking for -- it's no wonder they criminals are moving in.
Enough is enough

Cambridge, MA

#8 Oct 11, 2009
If one of the gangs was a primarily white gang, then the politicians would have no problem acknowledging the racial implications. This is frustrating and it impedes progress. Stop being so politically correct, because it is very incorrect.

Remember that movie, Tombstone, when Wyatt Erpp killed all the cowboys? Well the cowboys were a local gang and Erpp's policy against the cowboys was very clear. "If I see a red sash, I kill it." My humane instincts tell me that literally killing all gang members is wrong. However, the important thing is to have a clear policy and willingness to enforce the policies against gang affiliation and activity.
Debbie

AOL

#9 Oct 11, 2009
This is one of the better articles written by the Tribune,had the whole story not just bits and pieces like the other high school year book journalist drop outs write.On another note,the good think is that Monrovia has closure now that the bad guys are in jail, It is so quiet now, They got the right people kudos MPD.

“I live vicariously through me”

Since: Dec 08

San Marino CA.

#10 Oct 11, 2009
Most people who live around there know the gang members. Why dont they tell the police who they are and what they know? It's hard to keep feeling sorry for everyone when they know who is behind these murders
ceaser king

Downey, CA

#11 Oct 11, 2009
Joe Wilson for President wrote:
When these two Stone Age races have butchered each other into oblivion, Whites will take back the country which their ancestors carved out of a wilderness.
and i'm sure thats what your white asse , and white people in general want . and thats fine we minority's understand that . it take something like this to occure before the city spends money on youth programs to aid in civics and cultural diversity . white people lag and drag their feet when it come to aiding black and brown peoples , but when , little timmy and jody in the midwest started to get hooked on drugs , white america came to the aid with drug programs and anti drug schooling popped up every where . before that it was just a minority problem . now , if they know that criminals are coming out of jails with this attitude on race then why dont they start there. insted of just warehousing these people [ in jails ] why dont they have programs to release a better convict , that to have to deal with the legacy ......
BEANS AND RICE

Downey, CA

#12 Oct 11, 2009
i'm chicano . i'm american of mexican decent . growing up in the s.g.v. i grew up with predominately hispanics and white s and vary little blacks . i remember learning about discrimination from my white friends against the black people . in the form of a joke , that they heard from their dad or uncle , and later as we were a little older for some reason my white friends hated blacks altogether which i could never figure out totally why . when i went into the service and served with lots of blacks and white and other races , i fined that the black guy were really good guys . i became friends with more black than i did with whites . by know i was making my own decisians . to me black guys were like my brothers . i got into a few scrape in the service with blacks , and to have my black friends back me up , against blacks told me a lot about their character . i live in one of the tuffest varrios in the s.g.v. , and have known the homies for years , let me say , not everyone in the neighborhood dislikes blacks . as far as blacks and hispanics co existing . well , as you know there are varrios that have been established for many many years already . if a black gang was to infringe in that area , then i'm sure that there would be conflict . but if black people moved in without any gang affiliation , then i wouldn't see any problems . i think black people are good people , and i hope that our society can heal and live gracfully together .
shooter

West Covina, CA

#13 Oct 11, 2009
We all need to hire a tough cop like Dirty Harry to clean up all the mess in every cities and get rid of all bad elements. Both ammesty and prison do not work, so the only solution to fix this problem is to get rid of all the bad guys and this will fix everything.
stop the violence

Studio City, CA

#14 Oct 11, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly with irritated. A lot of cops, politicians, etc. are not qualified to receive the checks they get. Remember the MPD has been sued for racial harassment and sexual harassment by some of their officers.. Oh and sexual abuse on a gang member remember that?

I have been to numerous meetings in Monrovia over the past 5 years and I was directed to talk to Brandon Lee about intervening and working on solutions. He didn't appear to be gang involved to me. Gang members don't go to school and play football..

It is really frightening to see the ignorance of some law makers and other city officials. The level of denial is amazing and people will openly say the most uneducated things in the name of expertise..

They STILL don't have any outreach programs that exclusively targets gang members. Gang injunctions have been proven not to work. Monrovia is like a city back in time or something. When you don't know something it's always smart to ask..there's no such thing as a dumb question...the dumb question is the one that never gets asked.

When will the people of Monrovia start asking questions to the people with some solutions?

“I live vicariously through me”

Since: Dec 08

San Marino CA.

#15 Oct 11, 2009
BEANS AND RICE wrote:
i'm chicano . i'm american of mexican decent . growing up in the s.g.v. i grew up with predominately hispanics and white s and vary little blacks . i remember learning about discrimination from my white friends against the black people . in the form of a joke , that they heard from their dad or uncle , and later as we were a little older for some reason my white friends hated blacks altogether which i could never figure out totally why . when i went into the service and served with lots of blacks and white and other races , i fined that the black guy were really good guys . i became friends with more black than i did with whites . by know i was making my own decisians . to me black guys were like my brothers . i got into a few scrape in the service with blacks , and to have my black friends back me up , against blacks told me a lot about their character . i live in one of the tuffest varrios in the s.g.v., and have known the homies for years , let me say , not everyone in the neighborhood dislikes blacks . as far as blacks and hispanics co existing . well , as you know there are varrios that have been established for many many years already . if a black gang was to infringe in that area , then i'm sure that there would be conflict . but if black people moved in without any gang affiliation , then i wouldn't see any problems . i think black people are good people , and i hope that our society can heal and live gracfully together .
SO all the Whites you know are racist and none of the Blacks are? I dont know where you are lving but it isnt in SGV
mean mug

Hesperia, CA

#16 Oct 11, 2009
U guys R all jokes this war has been going on 4 generations and won't stop no matter what is done 4 evey one that's lock up on both sides just make the younger generations more angry I'm not saying it's right or wrong it's just the way it is in the SGV kill or be killed are you the hunter or the prey?
Lifelong Monrovian

North Hollywood, CA

#17 Oct 11, 2009
Violence is never the answer. I remember when a kid named A.J. hung himself in the Monrovia P.D. jail around 1971. There were 27 fires that night when businesses were firebombed & another young man named Kurt Davis was shot at point blank range with a shotgun, Monrovia's first drive-by shooting. We need to get along & set the good example for the younger generation of Monrovian's. The city has come a long way since that time & it would be a shame to return to such a sad time in our cities history, we deserve better than that.
Escape CA

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Oct 11, 2009
Nickelis. Rayshawn. Du Roc. Varrios.

and the list of winners goes onnnn...

oh, and I'm sure the Monrovia mayor is right.... of course none of this has anything to do w race... I guess it's a cultural thing...
tha wes

Santa Barbara, CA

#22 Oct 11, 2009
can anybody tell me how the west was won?
monrovian

Norwalk, CA

#23 Oct 11, 2009
mean mug wrote:
<quoted text> Du3Roc ain't n3v3r paid tax3s 2 surrats so g3t your history right bust3r mnv has 2 generations that's all thats it Du3Roc has 6 or 7 so w3 rul3 tha land now and 4ever U guys can't even get respect with other hispanic gangs so stop fronting on tha internet scrap!
6 or 7 gens ?? dirt rocks please when i was a youngsters you foos never came out it was until the mpd started crakin down on us the mnv that you dirts rocks started comin out . im so old skool that i remeber there justo be some foos called monrovia crips but we ran them out . and for ure info mnv has been around from the 70s we have 5 gens. and you foos did pay taxes ask ure older homies they know was up i justo go with the older homies to collect from ure older homies . even tho mnv is a small hood he can certainly go toe toe with the dirt roks and always come up on top as you can see ure homie bruzer got smoked tite under the sheriffs nose thats how we do
Christian Bale

Valencia, CA

#24 Oct 11, 2009
monrovian wrote:
<quoted text>
6 or 7 gens ?? dirt rocks please when i was a youngsters you foos never came out it was until the mpd started crakin down on us the mnv that you dirts rocks started comin out . im so old skool that i remeber there justo be some foos called monrovia crips but we ran them out . and for ure info mnv has been around from the 70s we have 5 gens. and you foos did pay taxes ask ure older homies they know was up i justo go with the older homies to collect from ure older homies . even tho mnv is a small hood he can certainly go toe toe with the dirt roks and always come up on top as you can see ure **** bruzer got smoked tite under the sheriffs nose thats how we do
Oh gooood for you...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Obituaries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News B.C. man presumed dead, appears in court (Oct '08) 10 hr Jeremys daughter 9
News MERCEDES, TX. - Pastor Andres "Andy" Martinez (Nov '08) Jul 21 connie 4
News Reed, Leona Amanda Jul 19 Bob Farmer 1
News Scott Leahy, 37, Avenel (Jul '07) Jul 18 Hand_rocks_cradle 83
News Howard Lee "Duke" Goff (Nov '08) Jul 17 Laurie 15
News Former Novato councilman Dennis Fishwick dies a... (Sep '10) Jul 15 Jane - United Ki... 14
News Goran Hadzic, who led rebel Serbs in Croatia du... Jul 15 Karadjordje was Serb 1
More from around the web