Services for BSO Sgt. Chris Reyka -- ...

Services for BSO Sgt. Chris Reyka -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel...

There are 40 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 13, 2007, titled Services for BSO Sgt. Chris Reyka -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

VISITATION Tuesday, from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m., Forest Lawn North Funeral Home, 200 W. Copans Road, Pompano Beach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AAA

Charlotte, NC

#41 Aug 14, 2007
Taxpayer wrote:
Wonder how many thousands of dollars it is going to cost taxpayers for the ones that show up in their take home cop cars that we pay our hard earned money for.
This was the article that I was refering to. I thought it said he was from Utah..Again I apologize..
Someone

China Grove, NC

#44 Aug 14, 2007
Outraged Dep wrote:
<quoted text>
Probrably still less than it would cost to pay a sergeant's salary for the rest of his career and then his retirement pension after that. Just think of all the tax money Sgt.Reyka saved you by dieing you ignorant pr*ck.
Nicely stated!
Outraged Dep

Bronx, NY

#45 Aug 14, 2007
Outraged Dep wrote:
<quoted text>
Probrably still less than it would cost to pay a sergeant's salary for the rest of his career and then his retirement pension after that. Just think of all the tax money Sgt.Reyka saved you by dieing you ignorant pr*ck.
and for those of you concerned about traffic don't wory there will be enough cops at the funeral for traffic control too.
You know it's not like the Office Depot center and the surrounding roads were designed for large events or anything.
I understand why the criminal minded hate the police but think about the stupidity of some of your comments before you make them.
Just for the record I am A Broward Sheriff's Deputy. I don't know why my location says St Augustine.
Bruce U Devine

Boynton Beach, FL

#46 Aug 14, 2007
Outraged Deputy, your thoughts and points are well taken. You and your Brothers in Blue have a thankless job - accept our thanks and condolences from the family of a lifelong law enforcement officer. The poem I listed above was read at his funeral and the words apply to all of you
Bruce U Devine

Boynton Beach, FL

#47 Aug 14, 2007
By the way, I am not in Ca I'm from Broward don't know why??? either
BSO Deputy

AOL

#48 Aug 14, 2007
Outraged Dep wrote:
<quoted text>
and for those of you concerned about traffic don't wory there will be enough cops at the funeral for traffic control too.
You know it's not like the Office Depot center and the surrounding roads were designed for large events or anything.
I understand why the criminal minded hate the police but think about the stupidity of some of your comments before you make them.
Just for the record I am A Broward Sheriff's Deputy. I don't know why my location says St Augustine.
I wholeheartedly agree, and suggest that anyone who doesn't care to be 'inconvenienced'(cough!), go through MapQuest or Rand McNally to find ANOTHER route to travel, to avoid a temporary delay to honor a man who gave everything to this community and then some!
broward home owner

United States

#49 Aug 14, 2007
R.I.P. stl mo
Former BSO

China Grove, NC

#50 Aug 14, 2007
Two Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Officers were ambushed and killed earlier this year the citizens shut down the roadways to pay their respects to the fallen officers. Their funerals were on two differents days, and not once did you ever hear a complaint about the roadways being shut down, because they were the once standing on the sides of the roads with their flags saluting these fallen officers. Our local radio station KISS 95.1 is in the process of building two parks in each of the officers name for children to go play in and be safe. These are being built through donations from the public, and they have far exceeded their goal for the funding of these parks.

I spent fifteen years in law enforcement down there, and truely miss my BSO family, I knew and worked with Chris and he was an absolute role model for the agency and someone you could ALWAYS depend on. I am sorry that some of the citizens are so selfish and ungrateful. This man deserves to be honored for all his dedication to the community, and he will be honored wether you like or not!
Rest In Peace Chris, your work is done here on earth.
Law Enforcement Officer

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#51 Aug 14, 2007
road toad wrote:
<quoted text>
needed. Cops are a distinct breed of people who don't have comfy office jobs, and deal with far more trauma on a continuous basis than the general public. They deserve the community's gratitude for putting up with all that society continually demands they deal with without so much as a "thank you" most of the time.
Individuals, such as yourself, who are ungrateful for the sacrifice of all members of law enforcement haven't a clue as to what the unique demands of the job entails. Don't give me the crap, "Well, they knew what they were getting into when they took the job." The job presents all sorts of unforseen challenges never imagined at the beginning of a career, and the pay is never enough to support a family. No one in law enforcement goes into it saying, "I could make millions!"
While the threat of death is a daily (or nightly) possibility, few people get dressed for work with the continuous thought that they might not make it home. The family saying, "Goodbye" at the door never knows when that 'knock at the door' will happen, and their loved one not return.
Cops make daily sacrifices for the entire community, and unlike others going to a 9-5 job, cops continually put their lives at risk to protect people who don't even know they exist. The very least the public can do is take a few minutes from their own schedules to pause and say, "Thank you" as the procession makes it's way, and we collectively say, "Goodbye".
Well said and thank you for your wisdom, courtesy and gratitude. I have absolutely nothing to add to this.
Law Enforcement Officer

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#52 Aug 14, 2007
Former BSO wrote:
Two Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Officers were ambushed and killed earlier this year the citizens shut down the roadways to pay their respects to the fallen officers. Their funerals were on two differents days, and not once did you ever hear a complaint about the roadways being shut down, because they were the once standing on the sides of the roads with their flags saluting these fallen officers. Our local radio station KISS 95.1 is in the process of building two parks in each of the officers name for children to go play in and be safe. These are being built through donations from the public, and they have far exceeded their goal for the funding of these parks.
I spent fifteen years in law enforcement down there, and truely miss my BSO family, I knew and worked with Chris and he was an absolute role model for the agency and someone you could ALWAYS depend on. I am sorry that some of the citizens are so selfish and ungrateful. This man deserves to be honored for all his dedication to the community, and he will be honored wether you like or not!
Rest In Peace Chris, your work is done here on earth.
To whoever wrote this .......DITTOS
deputydave

Hialeah, FL

#55 Aug 14, 2007
God Bless Sgt. Reyka & his family. I will be attending the funeral to pay my last respects. The commumity & citizens where I serve requested a good showing and advised that they may also attend. FYI: I plan not too respond to the idiots that continue to post retarded comments on this forum unless they wish to meet in person and discuss there views face to face.....basically, get off the porch & play with boys in the street!God bless America, our police & brave soldiers.
Joan Conway Bayville NJ

Downingtown, PA

#56 Aug 15, 2007
od bless and comfort the families and fellow officers of Sheriff Reyka. My grandson Dennis Conway was his partner and is totally devastated over hs death. I hjope the killer is caught soon and I hope he some day rots in hell.
Florida2

Washington, DC

#57 Aug 15, 2007
My condolences to the family, but, the size of the procession is too large - it should be limited to a reasonable number.

I believe the officer would likely say that the public should not be stressed by having two major highways closed for so many vehicles - again, a reasonable limit should be placed on how many can attend.

If this were a small community, the size would not matter, but, with traffic as heavy as it is at all times of the day, this is going to cause serious traffic problems for thousands of motorists - I'm sure this officer, as dedicated as he was, would not want that to happen.

Again, my condolences...
BROWARD CITIZEN

Boca Raton, FL

#58 Aug 15, 2007
Florida2 wrote:
My condolences to the family, but, the size of the procession is too large - it should be limited to a reasonable number.
I believe the officer would likely say that the public should not be stressed by having two major highways closed for so many vehicles - again, a reasonable limit should be placed on how many can attend.
If this were a small community, the size would not matter, but, with traffic as heavy as it is at all times of the day, this is going to cause serious traffic problems for thousands of motorists - I'm sure this officer, as dedicated as he was, would not want that to happen.
Again, my condolences...
floridan2 I totaly disagree with you. They should close the lanes and pay respect to this officer. This man deserves that much. He put his life on the line for the Pompano Beach community and he deserves that much. I being a native born in Pompano Beach raised in the black community of Liberty Park did not know this officer but my parents still live there in there 70's now am honor that he was apart of the community protecting my family from harm. So yes he deserves the respect okay. I just pray that someone is caught and punished for what they did to him. People in the community if they no something or saw something need to call those hot line numbers and report this. Lets get the people responsbile for this terrible crime. This is so scary if they have no respect for the law then they have no respect for anybody else. People just think who's going to be next. This is scary very scary.
LEO DISPATCHER

Jacksonville, FL

#59 Aug 15, 2007
As a formeer resident of BROWARD COUNTY and a LEO now in JACKSONVILLE I can not belive all the NEGATIVE post on this blog with reference to TRAFFIC!!!!! SGT REYKA made the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE to the residents of BROWARD COUNTY and you people are complaining about traffic delays caused by his funeral!!!!!!! One of the reasons I left BROWARD COUNTY is no one seems to care about those who PROTECT & SERVE EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!
Outraged Dep

Bronx, NY

#60 Aug 15, 2007
Florida2 wrote:
Again, my condolences...
No what we should do is shut down all the roadsin the tri county area and not let anyone go anywhere for as long as it takes until someone comes forward to turn these dirt bags in...And this tactic should be done everytime a cop gets killed in the line of duty and then maybe the citizeens of this area would finally find it unacceptable to kill their police officers. bbecause by reading some of these posts obviously a lot of citizens do think it's okay to kill a cop. It is not part of a cops job to get shot not part of a firefighters job to get burned just like its not part of a deli workers job to slice his fingers off in the meat slicer. Sometimes things happen but definately not part of the job.Citizens of this area need to wake up and quick or they will lose control of their beloved neighborhoods. News flash it's allready happening.
sick of south florida

Daytona Beach, FL

#61 Aug 15, 2007
Don't worry about the traffic when you die we will not attend so the traffic will not be affected. Maybe if you have a few thousand brothers and sisters you would understand...but then again you probably would not!
Florida2 wrote:
Again, my condolences...
Woman

AOL

#62 Aug 17, 2007
Florida2 wrote:
Again, my condolences...
The public is damn well stressed on a daily basis. The murderers hit the least threatening looking policeman and at a Walgreens. Now we know its not safe to run out for that necessity at night. It's hit home that nobody is safe anywhere and our police can't protect us from the insane trash that's out there when they're ambushed themselves. The alternative is martial law like some third world chaotic country. Our freedoms and rights are being taken away by the criminal element that bleeding hearts are always giveing that one more chance.It's not just Sgt Reyka that is being buried but our way of life and sense of security.Sgt Reyka was a wall between us and those who would rob and kill.If people want to be there they have the right to do so.If you don't like the traffic, then shut up and stay home.
First love

Hackensack, NJ

#63 Apr 8, 2013
Bruce U Devine wrote:
The police officer stood and faced hi Maker, which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just ass brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, police officer-how shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To your Maker, have you been true?
The police officer squared his shoulders, said NO sir, I guess I ain't. Because those of us who carry badges can't always be a Saint. I've worked most Sundays and at times my talk was rough, and sometimes I've been violent, because the streets are tough. But I never took a penny, that wasn't mine to keep. Though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills just got too steep. And I never passed by a cry for help though sometimes I shook with fear, and sometimes please forgive me I've wept unmanly tears. I know I don't deserve a place amongst the people here.
They never wanted me around exxcept to calm their fears.
But if you have a place for me here, well.... it need not be too grand
I never expected or had too much, so this I'll understand.
His Maker listened closely, and looked into his book. He asked him to step forward. Police Man listen clearly, you're always wanted here.
You've earned your place in heaven,You've walked your beat in hell.
In Memory of Sgt C Reyka
From the family of Chief Francis P Devine
if only Bruce listened himself RIP
First love

Hackensack, NJ

#64 Apr 13, 2013
Could have been so much more.
Bruce U Devine wrote:
The police officer stood and faced hi Maker, which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just ass brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, police officer-how shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To your Maker, have you been true?
The police officer squared his shoulders, said NO sir, I guess I ain't. Because those of us who carry badges can't always be a Saint. I've worked most Sundays and at times my talk was rough, and sometimes I've been violent, because the streets are tough. But I never took a penny, that wasn't mine to keep. Though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills just got too steep. And I never passed by a cry for help though sometimes I shook with fear, and sometimes please forgive me I've wept unmanly tears. I know I don't deserve a place amongst the people here.
They never wanted me around exxcept to calm their fears.
But if you have a place for me here, well.... it need not be too grand
I never expected or had too much, so this I'll understand.
His Maker listened closely, and looked into his book. He asked him to step forward. Police Man listen clearly, you're always wanted here.
You've earned your place in heaven,You've walked your beat in hell.
In Memory of Sgt C Reyka
From the family of Chief Francis P Devine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Obituaries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Online poll reveals most popular choice for Col... Mon Wilfred 2
News Coffay, Phyllis W. Jan 13 juli 1
News The Rev. Samuel Turner Sr. Jan 13 Bishop Cheryl Myhand 1
News Buckwild Star Dies: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning B... (Apr '13) Jan 12 Honestly 3
News Michigan woman dies from virus while serving 30... Jan 12 Anonymous 2
News Third Person Dies in Unrelated Animal vs. Motor... (Jun '11) Jan 9 Mel Hart 3
News Harry J. - Punk' Smith Jr. Jan 9 Eileen Biddle 1
More from around the web