Services for BSO Sgt. Chris Reyka -- ...

Services for BSO Sgt. Chris Reyka -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel...

There are 40 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 13, 2007, titled Services for BSO Sgt. Chris Reyka -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

VISITATION Tuesday, from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m., Forest Lawn North Funeral Home, 200 W. Copans Road, Pompano Beach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Aug 13, 2007
You need help.
road toad

AOL

#6 Aug 13, 2007
the people wrote:
I soppose they are going to screw up all the highways for hours again-just for one person, who died at work. That is something we all face everyday
They had damn well better block off traffic, and the public should stop and pay hommage to a man who LIVED as a fine example to his community. The community has to stop being so DAMN SELFISH, and take a few minutes to THANK the family of a man who LIVED as a fine example to his children, and gave his very life to protect citizens of the entire Broward community who never even knew what an awesome human being he was. His entire family, who are also outstanding examples of good human beings, just made the ultimate sacrifice to this community.

Sgt. Chris Reyka LIVED as the role model that the thug scum [who murdered him] probably never had, but truly.
road toad

AOL

#8 Aug 13, 2007
the people wrote:
I soppose they are going to screw up all the highways for hours again-just for one person, who died at work. That is something we all face everyday
needed. Cops are a distinct breed of people who don't have comfy office jobs, and deal with far more trauma on a continuous basis than the general public. They deserve the community's gratitude for putting up with all that society continually demands they deal with without so much as a "thank you" most of the time.

Individuals, such as yourself, who are ungrateful for the sacrifice of all members of law enforcement haven't a clue as to what the unique demands of the job entails. Don't give me the crap, "Well, they knew what they were getting into when they took the job." The job presents all sorts of unforseen challenges never imagined at the beginning of a career, and the pay is never enough to support a family. No one in law enforcement goes into it saying, "I could make millions!"

While the threat of death is a daily (or nightly) possibility, few people get dressed for work with the continuous thought that they might not make it home. The family saying, "Goodbye" at the door never knows when that 'knock at the door' will happen, and their loved one not return.

Cops make daily sacrifices for the entire community, and unlike others going to a 9-5 job, cops continually put their lives at risk to protect people who don't even know they exist. The very least the public can do is take a few minutes from their own schedules to pause and say, "Thank you" as the procession makes it's way, and we collectively say, "Goodbye".
Bill in Utah

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Aug 13, 2007
Chris Reyka CHOSE to attend the academy, and CHOSE to attempt to make the smallest possible dent in the criminal environment that is South Florida and yes CHOSE to put himself between you and those creatures who took his life. Can you imagine what he might have thought about in his precious final moments about the choices he made. While you might be stuck in traffic, go ahead and make a leap of faith and turn off the ignition and look around at what YOU still have, maybe, even just maybe because of people like Chris Reyka. Your car will cool down, the silence might become deafening, and you might actually realize what he did for YOU.
Toby Keith

Bolingbroke, GA

#12 Aug 13, 2007
Anyone go to the Toby Keith Concert this weekend in West Palm? It was really cool that he acknowledged Chris Reyka, May God Bless his soul! As a man I strive to be as strong as he was RIP.
Teach from Palm Beach

West Palm Beach, FL

#15 Aug 13, 2007
Bill in Utah wrote:
Chris Reyka CHOSE to attend the academy, and CHOSE to attempt to make the smallest possible dent in the criminal environment that is South Florida and yes CHOSE to put himself between you and those creatures who took his life. Can you imagine what he might have thought about in his precious final moments about the choices he made. While you might be stuck in traffic, go ahead and make a leap of faith and turn off the ignition and look around at what YOU still have, maybe, even just maybe because of people like Chris Reyka. Your car will cool down, the silence might become deafening, and you might actually realize what he did for YOU.
WELL SAID!
Woman

AOL

#18 Aug 13, 2007
Regarding the "take home police cars"...I wouldnt mind a police car parked on my street. It would send the thieves somewhere else to do their dirty deeds. I have never seen a police car driving around with passengers as a personal car.
Bill in Utah

Salt Lake City, UT

#21 Aug 13, 2007
And maybe start using them too, right Teach?
WHY CANT U UNDERSTAND

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Aug 13, 2007
why does this always happen? anytime there is something in the news about a cop people write horrible things. as the sister of a cop and girlfriend of cop please take a moment to sit back and think about what they do for you. when some crazy person comes running into yuor house with a gun they come running with theirs, to save you. what do you do for them? absolutely nothing! would you still be saying these horrible things if it was your dad, or your mom, or brother or husband, or son or daughter? i dont think so! you would be on the other side of the fence trying to do the same thing i am, trying to understand why ignorant people dont just keep their comments to themselves. someone has just died and another is in critical condition. what did these men do to deserve this? maybe they gave you a ticket big deal! i would pay your ticket to save their life, or stop your ignorance and disrespect... everywhere you go they arer paying tribute to these men, do you boo and scream bad things when your in church and your preist or pastor says bow your head for these men? or when the flag is at half staff at the BSO Office do you walk up and tell them to put it all the way up? or are you one of those people who want us to take the flag down completely because you dont understand brotherhood and community support, and what America is all about. please reconsider before you make horrible disgusting remarks about the lives or these men, just like our troops over seas, no one deserves this! NO ONE!
Winds Aloft

AOL

#24 Aug 13, 2007
Bill in Utah wrote:
EXCEPTIONAL!
Teach from Palm Beach

West Palm Beach, FL

#25 Aug 13, 2007
Bill in Utah wrote:
And maybe start using them too, right Teach?
ABSOLUTELY! Being the girlfriend of a BSO deputy....I would gladly CLEAN & POLISH it daily for him, if I knew it would keep him & the men & women he works with A LOT SAFER! God Speed to BSO - and God Rest the Soul of Chris Reyka!
Bruce U Devine

Miami, FL

#27 Aug 13, 2007
The police officer stood and faced hi Maker, which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just ass brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, police officer-how shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To your Maker, have you been true?
The police officer squared his shoulders, said NO sir, I guess I ain't. Because those of us who carry badges can't always be a Saint. I've worked most Sundays and at times my talk was rough, and sometimes I've been violent, because the streets are tough. But I never took a penny, that wasn't mine to keep. Though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills just got too steep. And I never passed by a cry for help though sometimes I shook with fear, and sometimes please forgive me I've wept unmanly tears. I know I don't deserve a place amongst the people here.
They never wanted me around exxcept to calm their fears.
But if you have a place for me here, well.... it need not be too grand
I never expected or had too much, so this I'll understand.
His Maker listened closely, and looked into his book. He asked him to step forward. Police Man listen clearly, you're always wanted here.
You've earned your place in heaven,You've walked your beat in hell.
In Memory of Sgt C Reyka
From the family of Chief Francis P Devine
SHAWNESSA OF LAUDERDALE

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#31 Aug 13, 2007
THE LOST OF A OFFICER TAKES A TOLL ON ME. IT MAKES ME VERY SAD TO KNOW THAT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE PUT HERE TO PROTECT MTSELF & MY FAMILY ARE BEING KILLED BY SELFISH PEOPLE THAT DO NOT CARE! IT MAKES MY HEART WEAK AND MAKES ME SCARED TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE KILLING OFFICERS! NOW I KNOW THAT I CANT TRUST ANY ONE & IT NOT SAFE NOT EVEN FOR MY KIDS{AGE 7,2,& 4 MONTHS} TO STEP OUTSIDE TO PLAY OR GO TO SCHOOL! I PRAY FOR THE FAMILY & ASK THE LORD TO COMFORT YOUR HEARTS AT A TIME LIKE THIS! LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!
AAA

Pompano Beach, FL

#34 Aug 13, 2007
I don't know why everyone gets so excited when some idiot makes a stupid comment on this blog. These idiots are only posting the comments to get a reaction. Why would someone in Utah complain about how we spend our tax dollars? I'm sure most Floridians could care less what they do in Utah. Don't give them the satisfaction. Ignore Them!
Scott in Williamsburg

Williamsburg, VA

#35 Aug 13, 2007
As a former neighbor of Chris Reyka in Wellington, I was shocked to hear of this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and children. I pray each day that if any of my friends or family were in any kind of peril, someone like Chris would be there, as they are each day, to provide assistance. Our military, police, firemen and DEA agents risk their lives every day that they go to work. My hope is that at the end of each day, these folks come home safe and realize that we are all thankful for the jobs that they do.
Bill in Utah

Salt Lake City, UT

#36 Aug 13, 2007
Hey AAA, I'm an exBSO retired deputy who moved to Utah, have a keen interest in all that goes on there and to the people I served and served with for over twenty years, and I consider myself a Floridian even after I'm in my dirtnap in Utah. I care, and that alone qualifies me to talk about things that seem to to you to be just a passing thought. I'm hoping someone who reads this blog gets enough out of it so that no more people like Chris Reyka pay what he did for some people in society who "just give a passing thought to it"!!!...... Are we clear?.....
Bill in Utah

Salt Lake City, UT

#37 Aug 13, 2007
And AAA listen..., can you really compare what someone spends in tax dollars to what Chris Reyka did for you. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that what that man went through was worth every tax dollar you've ever spent in your entire life. No one on this blog, about this particular story said anything about tax dollars. Crime occurs in Utah too. And believe me, right now my heart is there with them, those brave people who risk it all for someone worrying about tax dolllars and such. Please try to remember the big picture, in which appear a few brave souls who give it all for everyone else, no matter who it is, and never have the ability to wonder why they did in the first place. Sleep well tonight AAA, Because I'll bet Chris is still looking after you and me too.
Teach from Palm Beach

West Palm Beach, FL

#38 Aug 14, 2007
Bill in Utah wrote:
And AAA listen..., can you really compare what someone spends in tax dollars to what Chris Reyka did for you. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that what that man went through was worth every tax dollar you've ever spent in your entire life. No one on this blog, about this particular story said anything about tax dollars.
Crime occurs in Utah too. And believe me, right now my heart is there with them, those brave people who risk it all for someone worrying about tax dolllars and such. Please try to remember the big picture, in which appear a few brave souls who give it all for everyone else, no matter who it is, and never have the ability to wonder why they did in the first place. Sleep well tonight AAA, Because I'll bet Chris is still looking after you and me too.
Hey Bill,
If MORE people LIKE YOU still lived in Florida - IT WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER PLACE TO BE!(Come back, please..) These people are not only ignorant, but they are clueless...If Sheriff Deputies and City Cops were armed like the bad guys or if Brow.Co. would splurge for in-dash cameras for the deputies, maybe they'd have a chance against these s.c.u.m. bags...Enjoy your retirement in Utah, and thank you for the service you provided to the people you served...Every night I pray that my boyfriend comes home safe and sound...he knew Chris and hasn't been the same since his brutal murder...God Bless you & all LEO's!
road toad

AOL

#39 Aug 14, 2007
I agree with Teach from Palm Beach, Bill- "If MORE people LIKE YOU still lived in Florida - IT WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER PLACE TO BE!"

However I will say this: Stay where you're at. I'm happy for you, that you survived your career (both physically AND mentally) to actually see retirement, and you deserve to live where it makes you most happy. You're not missing a thing here except the souls you cared for, the palm trees, and warm waters.

I'm still fighting the good fight down here, and will definitely (without hesitation) move out when this career is finished.
AAA

Pompano Beach, FL

#40 Aug 14, 2007
Bill in Utah wrote:
And AAA listen..., can you really compare what someone spends in tax dollars to what Chris Reyka did for you. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that what that man went through was worth every tax dollar you've ever spent in your entire life. No one on this blog, about this particular story said anything about tax dollars. Crime occurs in Utah too. And believe me, right now my heart is there with them, those brave people who risk it all for someone worrying about tax dolllars and such. Please try to remember the big picture, in which appear a few brave souls who give it all for everyone else, no matter who it is, and never have the ability to wonder why they did in the first place. Sleep well tonight AAA, Because I'll bet Chris is still looking after you and me too.
I think you are confused...I'm not complaining about us spending tax dollars on a fallen deputies funeral..I was refering to the person on the first page from Utah who was complaining about the amount of money we are spending...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Obituaries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dr. Cary L. Hamlin (Sep '07) Aug 1 kathib 182
News Illoffee Quinton McVay, 40, Clay (Jul '11) Jul 30 C Roe 18
News Dorothy Kennedy of Bethel Park (Apr '12) Jul 28 Anne Tavoletti 2
News Stella Pandell Russell dead, ex-NCC art profess... Jul 28 Ted 3
News Scott Leahy, 37, Avenel (Jul '07) Jul 26 Steve_TN 74
News Longtime Canadian politician Flora MacDonald di... Jul 26 no doubt 1
News Eric Garner family to press at rally for federa... Jul 22 BS detector 17
More from around the web