Man Gets Probation In Toddler's Dehyd...

Man Gets Probation In Toddler's Dehydration Death

There are 41 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Nov 7, 2008, titled Man Gets Probation In Toddler's Dehydration Death. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A Connecticut judge sentenced a Hamden man to five years of probation Friday for his role in the death of a toddler who was deprived of food and liquids for at least a week as punishment for wetting a bed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Venus Envy

Hartford, CT

#1 Nov 7, 2008
and what about sara hicks? she left her son with these monsters -she didn't know that sharon patterson lost all her children because of drugs? there's more to this story for sure. certainly the mother should be accountable for part of this tragedy.... I'd take that 8 month old daughter away from her-her judgement is clearly impaired.
Jay Tee

Fairfield, CT

#2 Nov 7, 2008
"lawyers said she has mental health issues" - well, that's her ticket out.
If the guy knew about this, he should do real time. The girl should do double that.
The other point I'd like to make is this: if the baby was an adorable little girl, people would be outraged. It would get much more attention in the news.
Steve

United States

#3 Nov 7, 2008
Hmmmm...Only 2 comments.

If this had been a dog or a cat that died due to dehydration, this forum would be flooded with comments.

A sad commentary on society.
Steve

United States

#4 Nov 7, 2008
Agreed 100%
Venus Envy wrote:
and what about sara hicks? she left her son with these monsters -she didn't know that sharon patterson lost all her children because of drugs? there's more to this story for sure. certainly the mother should be accountable for part of this tragedy.... I'd take that 8 month old daughter away from her-her judgement is clearly impaired.
logic

East Northport, NY

#5 Nov 7, 2008
he helps to a 2 year old get killed and he gets probation?

another fine example of how connecticut takes care of its criminals and $hits all over the victims
Steve

United States

#6 Nov 7, 2008
If this were a dog or a cat...forget about it!
Jay Tee wrote:
"lawyers said she has mental health issues" - well, that's her ticket out.
If the guy knew about this, he should do real time. The girl should do double that.
The other point I'd like to make is this: if the baby was an adorable little girl, people would be outraged. It would get much more attention in the news.
oy vey

Newington, CT

#7 Nov 7, 2008
Ay! What horrible behavior. I cannot even fathom a mind that could so that to a child not even two!!!
But I totally agree that the mother needs to be held responsible as well for allowing someone like this to take charge of her son. I do not know what role the man played in this (the article doesn't provide any information)but the mother should be held at least as accountable as him.
danag17

Elgin, IL

#8 Nov 7, 2008
she needs to be in jail. shame on her.
Mr Common Sense

Wilton, CT

#9 Nov 7, 2008
Steve wrote:
Hmmmm...Only 2 comments.
If this had been a dog or a cat that died due to dehydration, this forum would be flooded with comments.
A sad commentary on society.
Here's a comment, send this jerk to the electric chair. He starves a kid, and gets a slap on the wrist,thank you liberal America.
CPC

Warren, NJ

#10 Nov 7, 2008
Shame on the judge.
Steven_G_Erickso n

West Roxbury, MA

#12 Nov 7, 2008
This person knowingly was harming a child, a felony.

I was being threatened for weeks. Police refused to help. I was then attacked on my Connecticut property by a felon who was stalking, harassing, and threatening my life. Without a record, I was sentenced to a year in prison. The felon wasn't even arrested for attacking me on MY property.

This story is an absolute outrage. I have a one to 3 page criminal rap sheep for one incident, am considered too violent to even work at Wal-mart collecting shopping carts. Because I had prison, there are multiple dates for the same "offense". After taking a beating, I ended it, using pepper spray. So, how am I too violent to hold almost any job?

This guy gets a paragraph on his record for killing someone. I get prison for not being able to get away from a beating I was taking in my own yard. I am again going to be homeless when the snow flies. Thank you Connecticut, your courts and judges are just great.

I'd leave the US if I could. Official Connecticut makes me that sick.

A post on the real official Connecticut:
http://thegetjusticecoalition.blogspot.com/20...
Unbelievable

United States

#13 Nov 7, 2008
First of all if you read He was not the one who was caring for him. He did not kill this boy. The boy was not put in his care. Maybe he only seen the boy on the last days. we don't know the whole story and never will. Yes, he should have done something about it. But the mother put the care of her son in the sisters care. I also agree that the mother should get something. she had to of known about the four kids being taken away. shame on her. I see the mother (as all mothers do)putting the blame on everyone else. You can't blame the judge if this is how the law is. Fight to change the law if you don't like it.
MR. Common Sense... if you read he is not the one who starved the kid or put the hot sauce on the cups so he could not drink anything. The mother should of been taken care of her kids sick or not. Mothers have been doing it for hundreds of years now. that is being a parent. not putting your kids in others hands.
patty

Providence, RI

#14 Nov 7, 2008
What kind of mother leaves her 20 month old with other people for a week because she's not feeling well? Sounds like she doesn't want kids to begin with. What kind of illness would prevent you from at least checking in on your child once during a seven day stay? And, did she ever call and directly speak to her child? Even at that age, the child should have been able to say a few words and maybe she would have picked up on his distress. But nope, she goes back to bed. It's horrible but sounds like mom is not the best mom.
Puhleeeze

Deep River, CT

#15 Nov 7, 2008
Dehydration is an awful, painful, very uncomfortable way to die. This is horrific and beyond tragic. How convenient for the murderer now to claim mental problems.
suzanne

New Haven, CT

#17 Nov 7, 2008
I'll save my sympathies for the child. Not a mother who would leave him in the care of monsters and accept no responsibility for her culpability in his death.
Mr Cosby

Milford, MA

#18 Nov 7, 2008
Poor kid. I mean it. That's messed up.

“What Happened to Common Sense?”

Since: Oct 08

Connecticut

#19 Nov 7, 2008
I agree with the comments about the child's mother...why she left him with these two for a week and didn't check on him is mind boggling. However, Robert Patterson was in the house...he had to have some idea of what was going on. You can't tell me this little boy wasn't in pain, suffering and crying. He couldn't stop it? All he gets is probation? Give me a break...they should all go to jail.
Sue

Newington, CT

#20 Nov 7, 2008
Part of being a responsible parent is caring for your children, whether you are sick or not. Barring desperate circumstances of severe illness...a child should never be 'left' with someone like this...the mom had to know this lady lost her own kids, why the heck would she trust her with her own? Stupidity? Drugs? As a single parent, I know all too well how much a 'break' is needed at times. However, we all make our choices and we have a responsibility to care for our kids, period. We don't always get that break, that's life..that's the life of being a TRUE parent. This is a truly horrific story..and this guy should have received far more than probation...he had to know something wasn't right..he had a moral obligation to call this woman out and protect an innocent child. He chose to sit idle, do nothing..and a child is dead. The fact is, had he stepped in, perhaps that childs life would still go on...
Bill

Groton, CT

#21 Nov 7, 2008
And you "Judge" Damiani have a "moral obligation" to dispense justice. Probation for a man who knowingly deprived a child fluids for a week, causing the child's death. Wow! I guess we now know what little value you place on human life - moron. How'd you ever make it to the bench. Wait, don't tell me, I know - you're a Democrat!
Joe

United States

#22 Nov 7, 2008
Was Sara Hicks convicted of anything? How do you drop your 23 month old kid off with someone and just check on them via phone?

This is child endangerment and Hicks should be held criminally responsible. Just because the woman she left her kid with was a friend, doesn't make that person competent to take care of a child.

When is the justice system in CT going to hold adults responsible for the poor decisions they make?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Obituaries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama tours flood-damaged Baton Rouge neighborh... 7 hr Captain Yesterday 36
News Lois Marene White 20 hr discocrisco 1
News Teen lacrosse player wants to build field to ho... Aug 28 New Fairfield Wat... 1
News Alfred University student dies from fight (Jun '08) Aug 24 Jenna Torrey 4
Poll Dorothy I. Lissenden, R. N. Obituary (Oct '09) Aug 23 KATHLEEN LISSENDEN 274
News Remembering 'Suzie' Aug 22 RIP 1
News Former Medford resident Alan Osuna dies in Texas - (Oct '07) Aug 21 J girl 25
More from around the web