Students Stand Against Sexual Assault...

Students Stand Against Sexual Assault with 'Take Back the Night'

There are 12 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Apr 10, 2013, titled Students Stand Against Sexual Assault with 'Take Back the Night'. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Students from UVA have been hosting Take Back the Night events all week in hopes of raising awareness at the university about sexual assault.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Since: Oct 12

Buckingham, VA

#1 Apr 11, 2013
I've always had a nagging question about the "Take Back the Night" slogan. That is: What about rapes that occur during the day? Are they somehow less important? Or is the daytime considered safe enough that it doesn't need to be taken back?

While "Take Back the Night" may sound poetic and harkens back to primordial fears of the dark it is "exclusive language" that re-victimizes rape survivors who, through no fault of their own, were attacked during daylight hours. What about their voices? Why would you essentially tell them that their pain and horror is meaningless and that the hours in which they were victimized don't need to be "taken back" too?

These hourist inequities are an affront to womanhood!
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Apr 11, 2013
Mr-Butcher wrote:
I've always had a nagging question about the "Take Back the Night" slogan. That is: What about rapes that occur during the day? Are they somehow less important? Or is the daytime considered safe enough that it doesn't need to be taken back?
While "Take Back the Night" may sound poetic and harkens back to primordial fears of the dark it is "exclusive language" that re-victimizes rape survivors who, through no fault of their own, were attacked during daylight hours. What about their voices? Why would you essentially tell them that their pain and horror is meaningless and that the hours in which they were victimized don't need to be "taken back" too?
These hourist inequities are an affront to womanhood!
Its always dark somewhere, your argument is meaningless. You want to take back the day, deal with the UVA cops.
civil rights

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Apr 11, 2013
UVA is above the law in C'ville. When they say jump you'll see Chapman and Longo bobbing up and down.
Chapman is a UVA grad and a UVA Law Grad
Longo - Wife and daughter work for uva hospital
Worell - married to a uva professor
Killeen - grad of uva law
Hogshire - a uva law and taught at uva
One big wahoowah lovefest
google these people and you will understand why nothing ever happens to uva rapists.
zap

Collinsville, VA

#6 Apr 11, 2013
Take back the night?
HAVE A GUN IN HAND AND TELL ME HOW MANY ARE ASSUALTED
Saywhatnow

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Apr 12, 2013
Glad to see these young people taking a stand! Good job kids!
citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Apr 12, 2013
Feel good posturing is no substitute for urban street survival skills that run the gamut of being vigilant, walking with friends, avoiding the dark and dangerous streets, not being drug or booze impaired at the wrong time, having some self defense skills and yes, perhaps, even carrying a weapon that you are proficient with.

If UVA students did a better job of telling police about the local loiterers that are looking for opportunities a lot of tragedies would probably never have happened.

Better tried by twelve than carried by six.

Staying alive counts for something even if a jury of Charlottesville EBT darlings says you shouldn't have beaten the sawdust out of poor old Willie who only had six felony convictions to his credit.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Apr 12, 2013
Interim Solution: Put cameras everywhere.
Future Solution: Thought Police.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 12, 2013
Can someone wake up the organizers of this and let them know that--in this town--these little demonstrations are ineffective?

It is a testament to the poor educational system we have had in this nation since the "Great Society" push started that college students think they are doing any good with these stunts.

These people are supposed to be educated and worldy. What they heck are they doing lighting candles and weeping?

Ugh!

R.I.P.: Billy Haislip
Thor

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Apr 12, 2013
Your in a gun free zone, awareness won't drop a perp!
civil rights

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Apr 12, 2013
@ citizen
The 1 in 4 statistic does not include the thug that jumps out of the bushes. The 1 in 4 stat is all about college rape. Yes the guy you meet at a party, a frat or perhaps a club meeting on campus where he pops a magic pill in your drink, or takes advantage of a drunk girl by walking her home. That's 2000 plus sexual assaults in UVA. The Police turn a blind eye as instructed and so does the commonwealth attorney. They pretend there's never enough evidence. NEVER A CASE? NOT ONE? When was the last time a UVA student was arrested for sexual Assault. The school NEVER expels them. NEVER. How strange? CHAPMAN, GIBSON AND LONGO are not independent!!!!!!!!!!

@Liberalace
<What they heck are they doing lighting candles and weeping?>

It's called a vigil. It's been done for centuries! Perhaps you need to go back to school and broaden your horizons.
real central Va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Apr 12, 2013
Liberalace wrote:
Can someone wake up the organizers of this and let them know that--in this town--these little demonstrations are ineffective?
It is a testament to the poor educational system we have had in this nation since the "Great Society" push started that college students think they are doing any good with these stunts.
These people are supposed to be educated and worldy. What they heck are they doing lighting candles and weeping?
Ugh!
R.I.P.: Billy Haislip
They should change the name to "Take back the Campus" or better yet, "Take back some common sense" (see post #8)
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Apr 12, 2013
citizen wrote:
Feel good posturing is no substitute for urban street survival skills that run the gamut of being vigilant, walking with friends, avoiding the dark and dangerous streets, not being drug or booze impaired at the wrong time, having some self defense skills and yes, perhaps, even carrying a weapon that you are proficient with.
If UVA students did a better job of telling police about the local loiterers that are looking for opportunities a lot of tragedies would probably never have happened.
Better tried by twelve than carried by six.
Staying alive counts for something even if a jury of Charlottesville EBT darlings says you shouldn't have beaten the sawdust out of poor old Willie who only had six felony convictions to his credit.
The city should be held liable for not lighting up city streets. No excuse for providing a modicum of safety for citizens at night. Its a bad guys dream around here at night time. Even downtown proper is a joke just 1 block off the mall.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Obituaries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brooke Stockwell, 19, Dies In Dunlap Wreck; Fun... (Feb '12) 2 hr nope 72
News Church members in disbelief after pastor shot b... Sat donnaebay 1
News Donald Benjamin Nance (Mar '10) May 28 Steven 2
News Obit: Barry Layton, 61 (May '13) May 26 Relay for Life 10
News Comedy great Anne Meara dies May 24 Schnooki 1
News Illoffee Quinton McVay, 40, Clay (Jul '11) May 23 Truth Hurts 6
Poll Dorothy I. Lissenden, R. N. Obituary (Oct '09) May 22 KATHLEEN LISSENDEN 251
More from around the web