Vegas' water drying up

Vegas' water drying up

There are 41 comments on the Deseret News story from Apr 23, 2014, titled Vegas' water drying up. In it, Deseret News reports that:

Deep beneath Lake Mead, a 23-foot-tall tunnel-boring machine grinds through stubborn bedrock in a billion-dollar effort to make sure water continues flowing to this thirsty resort city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Deseret News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Apr 23, 2014
Anyone that ever studied Geography knew, that Las Vegas would be a failed adventure at some point......

Since: Apr 14

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2014
Not true, the powers that be should be working on getting Las Vegas a bigger slice of the Colorado river pie.

Problem solved.

Location hidden

#3 Apr 23, 2014
If you own a business or home there, best of luck....

United States

#4 Apr 23, 2014
If you own a business, or home here in Las Vegas you'd be smart to send a letter, or make a telephone call to the southern Nevada water authority asking them what, if anything they are doing to ensure that Las Vegas gets a bigger slice of the Colorado river then they're getting right now.

Let's light a fire under their ass to make sure they're doing their jobs.

Location hidden

#5 Apr 24, 2014
Yeah....that'll work.....Better to call a Realtor......
Pissed off rancher

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 24, 2014
Maybe thats why harry reid wants the bundy
Ranch.

United States

#7 Apr 24, 2014
Don't be silly.

There's plenty of water in the Colorado river, the problem has to do with how we use that water.

For example, water for irrigating crops in the deserts of Southern California will have to be curtailed in favor of water for human consumption. There's no ifs, ands, or, buts about it.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 24, 2014
Pissed off rancher wrote:
Maybe thats why harry reid wants the bundy
Ranch.
Your hero, Bundy say's Negroes would have been better off as slaves.....stick a fork in him....

United States

#9 Apr 24, 2014
Like Harry Reid, bundy is a pompous ass.
Johnny Be Good

Finland

#10 Apr 24, 2014
I think it's possible to let more water into Lake Mead
from other lakes/ reservoirs upstream?
Vegas has grown a lot in the past 20 plus years,
I've lived in Vegas and it was really great,
I especially liked the mix of some locals and a whole lot
of folks from all over the States, it was an unusual
athmosphere that I haven't felt elsewhere!
I must say it wasn't only Vegas but America as a whole
that had the best everyday working man's way of life,
that American Spirit was something I at least personally
have never felt in any place else....as simple as that.
I hope that I'll get to feel that one day again.

United States

#11 Apr 24, 2014
While Vegas isn't everybody's cup of tea, overall, it's a pretty good place to live.

The lack of water ( on paper ) is one of our most pressing issues at present, that the southern Nevada water authority has so far failed to deal with, effectively.

Location hidden

#12 Apr 25, 2014
Vegas was alway's a gamble.....

United States

#13 Apr 25, 2014
A gamble that's paid off, in spite of Harry Reid's best efforts to make the whole state a laughing stock, with his outrageous comments on a whole host of issues.

Location hidden

#14 Apr 25, 2014
Harry Reid sure was right about Klansman/Teaparty Rancher Bundy.....

United States

#15 Apr 25, 2014
Harry Reid hasn't gotten anything right since taking the senate majority seat. He's nothing more than a loud mouthed, self serving pompous ass. And that's a fact.
Local

Reno, NV

#16 Apr 25, 2014
Good! I hope it drys up completely so that we are all free from this tyranny caused by the Democratic Party in the past!
Bull Roar

United States

#17 May 1, 2014
You must be a democrat
Johnny Be Good

Finland

#18 May 6, 2014
Las Vegas was good to me,
I won no money but I had a lot of life,
The Great Mojave Desert was a place to be,
Man, I really liked it!
America sure was a good ship,
She still is but I'm no longer a passenger,
maybe one day again?
Play it again Sam......play it again!
Colorado1991

Las Vegas, NV

#19 May 6, 2014
Used carz wrote:
Not true, the powers that be should be working on getting Las Vegas a bigger slice of the Colorado river pie.
Problem solved.
Colorado has been on water restrictions for a long long time before AZ, NV, UT or even CA was. How about everyone even business State County and all Federal offices do the same first. Slow down on construction and start repairing perfectly good sound buildings and help the community, hey it seems no one here is willing to help others or themselves for that matter.
Bull Roar

United States

#20 May 7, 2014
Colorado1991 wrote:
<quoted text>
Colorado has been on water restrictions for a long long time before AZ, NV, UT or even CA was. How about everyone even business State County and all Federal offices do the same first. Slow down on construction and start repairing perfectly good sound buildings and help the community, hey it seems no one here is willing to help others or themselves for that matter.
I agree with what you're saying in regards to conservation. Commercial users here in Las Vegas are by far the worst offenders when it comes to wasting water.

But having said all that, Colorado as an upper basin state, signed on to permanent water restrictions way back in the 1920's.

The Colorado river compact requires the Upper Basin states not to deplete the flow of the river below 7,500,000 acre feet (9.3 km3)...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Commissioner wants former bank building for Whi... 12 min tried of paying 1
News West Virginia floods devastate 1,100 homes, man... 1 hr worried 15
News The Latest: Obama pledges federal support in fl... 3 hr sore but 15
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... 14 hr Earthling-1 115
News The Latest: Land officials OK closing nuclear s... 16 hr conCERN 1
News Columbus police begin carrying overdose drug na... 22 hr Reality Speaks 1
News Beyonc and Kendrick's BET Awards Smash Tue Skiff Azlaan 4
More from around the web