Newcomer Tom Oreck leads fight agains...

Newcomer Tom Oreck leads fight against English bill

There are 7 comments on the The Tennessean Nashville News story from Jan 12, 2009, titled Newcomer Tom Oreck leads fight against English bill. In it, The Tennessean Nashville News reports that:

Tom Oreck, chairman of Oreck Corp., is a relative newcomer to Middle Tennessee. His company, which manufactures and sells vacuum cleaners and related household products, moved here in stages over the past two ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tennessean Nashville News.

Wade

AOL

#1 Jan 23, 2009
Why are the people of Nashville so stupid as to vote out the "English First" measure? By this measure, you are damning the Mexican populace into remaining in lowly wage jobs. By making them learn English, they would have the chance to improve their educational & financial lot. Of course, I understand why Mr. Tom oreck was against it. Such a measure would mean a lot of his illegal workers working his slave wages would've left him!
Tobias R

Cookeville, TN

#2 Jan 23, 2009
Wade wrote:
Why are the people of Nashville so stupid as to vote out the "English First" measure? By this measure, you are damning the Mexican populace into remaining in lowly wage jobs. By making them learn English, they would have the chance to improve their educational & financial lot. Of course, I understand why Mr. Tom oreck was against it. Such a measure would mean a lot of his illegal workers working his slave wages would've left him!
Well, either way it was voted down, and I'm a-ok with that... Oreck pays people pretty good. If they did work for Oreck they'd be making a lot more than they do cutting tobacco. The illegal immigrants who don't want to learn English don't care about working jobs that pay a lot. The ones who don't speak it can get along just fine... most of them work here a set number of years doing day labor (or the chicken plant) and move back to where they came from in a better financial lot... as for the kids they have, I would say they get better education here than they would get living in central america. If we as Americans could go to another country to make way more than we could possibly make in our own country (even illegally) we would do the same thing.

I think we should keep the illegals who want to work. They do crap work for barely anything and I don't hear complaints, nor do they bother anyone. Who we should deport instead are the second and third generation welfare crackers who assume that since they were raised on the dole & had kids too young that somehow the government owes them a living. I know that's generalizing and I hate to do that... but thats what I've seen my whole file and I see it way too much around here. I guess every area of America whether it be rural or urban has its lazy and trashy folks.
Wade

AOL

#3 Jan 23, 2009
TOBIAS, You're a sad example of why this country is going downhill fast. First- Oreck pays them below minimum wage, and you're all right with that? What happened to upward mobility? Second- Do you really believe those illegals are happy working those jobs? You don't think they want to improve their lot?
Third- if you went to Mexico to live, do you think the government and people would bend over backwards to speak English for you so you could feel "fit in"? Not likely!
Fourth- Doing something ILLEGALLY is just THAT! ILLEGAL!! Why don't you skip paying your taxes one year- that's illegal. But, could you get away with it?
Fifth- Illegal aliens are a drain on our economy! They take in money and even benifits that you and I work for for ourselves! I have nothing against people wanting to come to our country to improve their standing- BUT DO IT LEGALLY!!
When the immigrants that came to this country in previous generations to improve their livelyhood, did they not learn the language so they could assimilate into our culture that much quicker? And, with that, they moved ahead quicker, making this country better. Would you not want this for the illegals today? You're actually do them a disservice otherwise!
For the betterment of our country in every way, stop this head-up-your-ass political correct crap, and make things better, even if that means the non-English people having to go through the "hardship" of LEARNING ENGLISH!
Tom Oreck

Nashville, TN

#4 Jan 24, 2009
wade
curious as to the source of your facts. Oreck does not have any illegal workers, never has. we are committed to the U.S. workforce and that is one reason we have our manufacturing plant in Cookeville, TN U.S.A. employing a diverse group of legal American workers. hope that clears things up for you.
Manager

Cookeville, TN

#5 Jan 24, 2009
I've lived overseas and in another country for quite some time. Never did I expect people to adapt their customs and ways for me. I'm in their country so I learned enough of their language to get around. When I needed assistance I took someone with me who could speak the language.

It baffles me why immigrants come to our great country (because they weren't happy in their own country for numerous reasons) and then try to change our ways and laws to suit them? What an oxymoron Many of our lawmakers are foolish enough to patrionize the immigrants. Whats worse is it is our fellow Americans voting in the lawmakers! The immigrants are here because they like our country - we offer them something they can't get at home. Let them assimilate into our country. Lets keep our high standards and expect immigrants to step up and make a positive difference and work or be gone. Illegal immigrants should be deported - no questions asked!

Immigrants do work our own won't do - Big mistake!!! Get our own off welfare and let them do those jobs or starve if they don't want to work. Our welfare system enables laziness. I know because I can't find decent help without going through tons of lazy men with no skills, no education, and no desire to get those skill. On top of that - many have criminal records and wonder why they can't get a job anywhere. Duh!
Oreck wreck

Tullahoma, TN

#6 Jul 19, 2013
Tom Oreck wrote:
wade
curious as to the source of your facts. Oreck does not have any illegal workers, never has. we are committed to the U.S. workforce and that is one reason we have our manufacturing plant in Cookeville, TN U.S.A. employing a diverse group of legal American workers. hope that clears things up for you.
Looks like if they didn't hire illegals, they should have.

Now they're in bankruptcy hell.
Unimpressed

Crossville, TN

#7 Jul 19, 2013
Manager wrote:
I've lived overseas and in another country for quite some time. Never did I expect people to adapt their customs and ways for me. I'm in their country so I learned enough of their language to get around. When I needed assistance I took someone with me who could speak the language.
It baffles me why immigrants come to our great country (because they weren't happy in their own country for numerous reasons) and then try to change our ways and laws to suit them? What an oxymoron Many of our lawmakers are foolish enough to patrionize the immigrants. Whats worse is it is our fellow Americans voting in the lawmakers! The immigrants are here because they like our country - we offer them something they can't get at home. Let them assimilate into our country. Lets keep our high standards and expect immigrants to step up and make a positive difference and work or be gone. Illegal immigrants should be deported - no questions asked!
Immigrants do work our own won't do - Big mistake!!! Get our own off welfare and let them do those jobs or starve if they don't want to work. Our welfare system enables laziness. I know because I can't find decent help without going through tons of lazy men with no skills, no education, and no desire to get those skill. On top of that - many have criminal records and wonder why they can't get a job anywhere. Duh!
As an American Hispanic (born in Texas. My ancestors were here when Texas declared independence from Mexico) I whole heartedly agree with you. There is a huge difference in cultural mentality between Hispanics who have been here since the beginning and those who are coming up from South of the border as of late. Our ancestors sacrificed so much to free themselves from Mexico and assist with the American cause. We are proud to be Americans and at the same time we can still cherish our Latin American heritage, including our language. New immigrants seem to believe that learning English means that they have to give up their culture. It's ignorant and sad and is an attitude that should not be put up with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... 5 min Into The Night 114
News West Virginia floods devastate 1,100 homes, man... 57 min davy 5
News Beyonc and Kendrick's BET Awards Smash Tue Skiff Azlaan 4
News Fort McMurray pastor and firefighter: confronti... Tue Reverend Laidlaw ... 1
News Number of Lyme disease cases more than triples ... Tue 9403zoe 1
News The Latest: Obama pledges federal support in fl... Mon WasteWater 10
News Rainelle natives and mayor uncertain of what's ... Sun Dennis Neathawk 1
More from around the web