Plans for Hoosic River revival projec...

Plans for Hoosic River revival project flowing right along

There are 12 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Mar 6, 2013, titled Plans for Hoosic River revival project flowing right along. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

Although the first pilot project of The Hoosic River Revival is some time away, the community will be able to provide input during a community conversation in June, which will ultimately help the organization decide which portion of the river will become its first restoration site.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

Since: Aug 12

United States

#1 Mar 6, 2013
Discuss...
please

Medford, MA

#2 Mar 6, 2013
sher01247 wrote:
Discuss...
this is never going to happen. Just another bored retiree with too much.time and money on her hands.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#3 Mar 6, 2013
I think that it is a stupid idea to begin with.(This is MY opinion only) What do you think the Army Corps of Engineers are going to think?
nay sayers r us

North Adams, MA

#4 Mar 6, 2013
Nothing but negativity from you people.
I'm really surprised at you DFW. Do you know any of the facts or are you just presuming that this is a stupid idea.
Go to the website and look what other cities have done with their flood control chutes. It's amazing.
Why not here? That's right, it will never work because a few narrow minds said it wouldn't.
I'm so glad that none of you were around when Columbus decided to set sail. We'd all still think that the world is flat.
RIGHT ON

North Adams, MA

#5 Mar 6, 2013
nay sayers r us wrote:
I'm really surprised at you DFW. Do you know any of the facts or are you just presuming that this is a stupid idea.
Go to the website and look what other cities have done with their flood control chutes. It's amazing.
Why not here? That's right, it will never work because a few narrow minds said it wouldn't.
I'm so glad that none of you were around when Columbus decided to set sail. We'd all still think that the world is flat.
HERE'S A PORTION OF A POST FROM ANOTHER THREAD.
MAYBE THE NAYSAYERS OUGHT TO READ IT.

ANTI-everything will be the death of this place. " that want things to happen around here. My family has been here forever, and I'm sick and tired of the thought that new people and new ideas are bad for this area. This is what I hear lately:
Conte School project - bad location, bad idea.
Heritage Park Development - wrong people involved, will fail.
Scenic Railroad - terrible location, no one will ride.
WalMart - will kill all the small stores.
Hoosac River study - everything will flood, waste of money
Angled parking - will cause a ton of accidents.

Should I go on? It's depressing. They are the same people who never attend any discussions about what would be good for the area - commenting only about what won't work. Pitch in, and help please if you really care.
Good Idea But Unlikely

New York, NY

#6 Mar 6, 2013
nay sayers r us wrote:
It's a good idea, but why not focus on improving the terrible schools instead of pretty floodchutes? Get your priorities straight, pal.

Location hidden

#7 Mar 6, 2013
nay sayers r us wrote:
I will say that I know all the facts. I did watch their presentation a few months back at the city council meeting and I wasn't very impressed. I do not say that it will not work! I only gave MY opinion, nothing less and nothing more. I'm sorry if my opinion pissed you off. I am in favor of Conte renovations, the new owners of Heritage, the new Walmart not so sure of that one, and on and on.....I am not afraid of change because change can sure be a good thing.
RIGHT ON

North Adams, MA

#8 Mar 6, 2013
Good Idea But Unlikely wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a good idea, but why not focus on improving the terrible schools instead of pretty floodchutes? Get your priorities straight, pal.
Absolutely. But why not both? Or for that matter even more ideas that will give the citizens and visitors of N.A. a better quality of life.
This HRR is a very long term plan, at least twenty years. Most of us will be dead by the time this river gets back to where it should be.
But that's ok. Remember the saying, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

All I'm saying is let's not dismiss this idea until you've heard all of the facts. Everyone of these "ideas", for the Hoosic are just that, an idea, a proposal, a hope.
And remember none of these ideas will have any affect on flood protection. Flood protection is still the #1 goal of HRR.

Here's the link. Check them out.
www.hoosicriverrevival.org
nay sayer r us

North Adams, MA

#9 Mar 6, 2013
DPW Proud Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
I will say that I know all the facts. I did watch their presentation a few months back at the city council meeting and I wasn't very impressed. I do not say that it will not work! I only gave MY opinion, nothing less and nothing more. I'm sorry if my opinion pissed you off. I am in favor of Conte renovations, the new owners of Heritage, the new Walmart not so sure of that one, and on and on.....I am not afraid of change because change can sure be a good thing.
So why is it a stupid idea? Why were you not impressed?
Who says that I'm pissed off?
I'm more disappointed that you, who usually defends new ideas, called this a stupid idea

Location hidden

#10 Mar 6, 2013
nay sayer r us wrote:
<quoted text>
So why is it a stupid idea? Why were you not impressed?
Who says that I'm pissed off?
I'm more disappointed that you, who usually defends new ideas, called this a stupid idea
sorry I made a mistake in my first sentence. I meant to say I do not know all the facts. I just wanted to clarify that.

And yes I probably did use the wrong word when I said stupid. My main concern is to prevent flooding of our city. I WILL look further into it. But I really did watch the whole presentation during the council meeting.
nay sayer r us

North Adams, MA

#11 Mar 6, 2013
DPW Proud Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry I made a mistake in my first sentence. I meant to say I do not know all the facts. I just wanted to clarify that.
And yes I probably did use the wrong word when I said stupid. My main concern is to prevent flooding of our city. I WILL look further into it. But I really did watch the whole presentation during the council meeting.
No problem. Sometimes is better to wait a few hours before responding. I've fallen victim to my emotions many times.
That's one of the problems of this type of communicating.
The reader can't tell what tone the message was sent in.

I'm still waiting to hear from CHBPOD on this. I'm sure that he'll be negative and insulting. But we've come to expect that.LOL
chbpod

Narragansett, RI

#12 Mar 7, 2013
nay sayer r us wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem. Sometimes is better to wait a few hours before responding. I've fallen victim to my emotions many times.
That's one of the problems of this type of communicating.
The reader can't tell what tone the message was sent in.
I'm still waiting to hear from CHBPOD on this. I'm sure that he'll be negative and insulting. But we've come to expect that.LOL
Yup

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Perfect Storm Facing Black Men on HIV 10 hr SBT 2
News New York City sends 1M condoms to Puerto Rico t... Mon Suezanne 1
News Nigeria's Anti-Gay Laws Keep Men From Seeking H... Mon Belles Echoes 8
News Students call for sanitary bins to be placed in... Sun Three Days 1
News Today in history: 'Houston, we've got a problem' Apr 29 Three Days 1
News How a newspaper article triggered EPF flash str... Apr 28 10 Million 1
News Was the rise of the Roman Empire helped by VOLC... Apr 28 play 1
More from around the web