The Lonely Soldier and the Moral Scars of War

Feb 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Common Dreams

In trying to understand the ongoing suicide epidemic among soldiers and veterans a third factor in addition to physical injuries and PTSD is now being discussed: the moral injuries they bring back.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Quote from an article that talks about the stress of dealing in today's society and the horrors of war...

Soldiers and veterans are keenly aware of the ethical damage of war and which they've instigated, each in their own way. Everyone reacts differently, but guilt and shame are hard to avoid. Sharing such feelings is immensely hard, as many fear being condemned and consequently feel exiled in society.

Veterans assume an extra burden by trying to assimilate back into civilian life, which poses a particular moral challenge. Having recognised oneself to have been a voluntary party to violence and cruelty, one learns how desperately important it is to try to be good. But one is confronted by a civilian population full of petty selfishness, nastiness and ignorance, while patting you on the back for your service.

Society needs to adjust, not the soldier. Because of societies standards and teachings, this is the result!
Tim

Eilsleben, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

war criminals, mass murderers, they are guilty of death of innocent people and these guys, who have even a little bit consciesness commit suicide. Naturally, normal people cannot live having blood of innocent people on their hands

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••