Klamath Tribes and feds exercise wate...

Klamath Tribes and feds exercise water rights in Oregon, will shut off irrigation for ranches

There are 97 comments on the Nanaimo Daily News story from Jun 10, 2013, titled Klamath Tribes and feds exercise water rights in Oregon, will shut off irrigation for ranches. In it, Nanaimo Daily News reports that:

Tens of thousands of acres in Oregon's drought-stricken Klamath Basin will have to go without irrigation water this summer after the Klamath Tribes and the federal government exercised for the first time newly confirmed powers that put the tribes in the driver's seat over the use of water.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Nanaimo Daily News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
MORE LIES

Gig Harbor, WA

#81 Mar 7, 2014
The Comprehensive Upper Basin Agreement includes three main elements:
-A Water Use program that will increase stream flows in the tributaries above Upper Klamath Lake - adding at least 30,000 acre feet annually to inflows to the lake, while creating stable, predictable setting for agriculture to continue in the Upper Klamath Basin
-A Riparian Program that will improve and protect riparian conditions in order to help restore fisheries
-An Economic Development Program for Klamath Tribes
Bullshit Donnie
Since when did you start caring about restoring the fisheries, before this upper basin agrement came into play and you and other TC members found out you stand to benefit from it not one of you gave a damn about the fish or any other resources of the Tribes or the condition they were in.
I don't trust any of you and I will vote NO and I encourage all members of the Tribes to
VOTE NO ON THE UPEER BASIN WATER AGREEMENT!!!!!
WE HAVE LOST ENOUGH UNDER THIS SO CALL TRIBAL COUNCIL, WHO'S ONLY PURPOSE IS TO BENEFIT THEMSELVES AT THE EXSPENSE OF ITS MEMBERS
Vote NO this time

Eagle Point, OR

#82 Mar 7, 2014
The tribes gonna get a lumber mill? How many mills are left in Oregon? Your depending on the Mazama tree farm to be a self sustainable enterprise?
The tribe has another chance to vote NO! This time! How can growing trees in the riparian zone bring the salmon back? Wouldn't keeping instream water in the rivers be a better choice? Your water rights are suppose to maintain a moderate comfort of living by maintaining the resources for the tribe! How long has it been since the tribe had that comfort of living and now your giving up the water which is suppose to be the source! You think the state cares about the rights of the native tribes?
Salmon management and game management by the ODFW backed by the governor is not working! Has the tribal biologist ever had a successful fisheries program? The money coming to the tribe will have the same people standing in line managing the upfront money! You can break this whole deal down systematically and know its wrong, regardless of what you've been told over and over! What is the track record for tribal business! Who have been the people in charge? Are they there again? Promising you the same?
For now VOTE NO! Then you'll know the real truth!
IbDupidToo

Portland, OR

#83 Mar 8, 2014
Here is a suggestion! Quit trying to act like you have a clue what is going on in the world and just shut up. Nobody owns the water and if anybody did it would be the people with the most money or power. So just stop with the flagrantly retarded analysis and opinions on the situation. If you idiots had half a clue or could even remotely begin to comprehend the things that you try and discuss on here then you would not be yapping about it on here.
Vote NO this time

Eagle Point, OR

#84 Mar 8, 2014
IbDupidToo wrote:
Here is a suggestion! Quit trying to act like you have a clue what is going on in the world and just shut up. Nobody owns the water and if anybody did it would be the people with the most money or power. So just stop with the flagrantly retarded analysis and opinions on the situation. If you idiots had half a clue or could even remotely begin to comprehend the things that you try and discuss on here then you would not be yapping about it on here.
OK R thanks for your analysis and yapping on here because you've done so much on your own and this site is worthless to you! Fine if this is bigger than us retards, present company excluded!
This agreement is still part of a flawed democratic process that negotiators got all involved! Just like signing a treaty! The flaw is you can still vote NO and affect change! It's the process! Whether you believe your the only Indian because of who you hang out with!
Many retards, aren't stuck in their own mind, spirit and place! Because they were stuck their by the people they despise!
Those who take

Gig Harbor, WA

#85 Mar 8, 2014
Members of this Tribe will vote YES due to the free government money that they "think" they will get. All they can think about is more free cheese !!!!
Disagree

Gig Harbor, WA

#86 Mar 8, 2014
Those who take wrote:
Members of this Tribe will vote YES due to the free government money that they "think" they will get. All they can think about is more free cheese !!!!
Members of this Tribe will vote YES due to the free government money that they "think" they will get. All they can think about is more free cheese !!!!

You don't need to be slinging raciest insults, has nothing to do with the issues and just shows your ignorance.
I disagree with your statement ,voting yes as to the thinking of getting free government money. Tribal members know they aren't going to benefit from the 40 million and are wise to the fact this will only benefit tribal council and their select few.
Tribal Council and the State government does not give a damn about the Tribes and its members, they only pretend to at times when they stand to benefit from it.
40 million, creates jobs, for who?
Their family and friends, that's who.
I am voting NO
Those who take

Gig Harbor, WA

#87 Mar 8, 2014
Ask ANY Tribal member you find on the street to choose:

1. A one hundred dollar bill now

2. A thousand dollars 3 years from now

They will take the money now for they DO NOT understand.
Vote NO this time

Eagle Point, OR

#88 Mar 8, 2014
Hope this is not about money as we vote about water this time not the land! I know people can see the historical significance of this moment!
The only way any one is going to know how valuable the water is at a time of the greatest droughts in our recorded history just vote no! Waiting a bit longer your adjudicated water is now coming into blue golds greatest value!
Water is not about a few people's wealth it is about maintaining the resources of the Klamath tribes for time immemorial!
Please

Gig Harbor, WA

#89 Mar 8, 2014
Those who take wrote:
Ask ANY Tribal member you find on the street to choose:
1. A one hundred dollar bill now
2. A thousand dollars 3 years from now
They will take the money now for they DO NOT understand.
Quit trying to defend your ignorance and racist comments.
Those who take

Gig Harbor, WA

#90 Mar 8, 2014
Please wrote:
<quoted text>
Quit trying to defend your ignorance and racist comments.
Reality is not racism.
Disagree

Gig Harbor, WA

#91 Mar 8, 2014
Those who take wrote:
Ask ANY Tribal member you find on the street to choose:
1. A one hundred dollar bill now
2. A thousand dollars 3 years from now
They will take the money now for they DO NOT understand.
Despite how stupid you may think tribal people are I am one who wouldn't take a hundred dollar bill now because I do understand. Therefore this makes your racist comments untrue which makes you not only a ignorant racist but a lair as well.
Disagree

Gig Harbor, WA

#92 Mar 8, 2014
Those who take wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality is not racism.
Stop already before you completely discredit yourself.
Tell us otherwise

Eagle Point, OR

#93 Mar 9, 2014
MORE LIES wrote:
The Comprehensive Upper Basin Agreement includes three main elements:
-A Water Use program that will increase stream flows in the tributaries above Upper Klamath Lake - adding at least 30,000 acre feet annually to inflows to the lake, while creating stable, predictable setting for agriculture to continue in the Upper Klamath Basin
-A Riparian Program that will improve and protect riparian conditions in order to help restore fisheries
-An Economic Development Program for Klamath Tribes
Bullshit Donnie
Since when did you start caring about restoring the fisheries, before this upper basin agrement came into play and you and other TC members found out you stand to benefit from it not one of you gave a damn about the fish or any other resources of the Tribes or the condition they were in.
I don't trust any of you and I will vote NO and I encourage all members of the Tribes to
VOTE NO ON THE UPEER BASIN WATER AGREEMENT!!!!!
WE HAVE LOST ENOUGH UNDER THIS SO CALL TRIBAL COUNCIL, WHO'S ONLY PURPOSE IS TO BENEFIT THEMSELVES AT THE EXSPENSE OF ITS MEMBERS
A riparian program was established in the 90's could have been by same governor! Non Indian Some tribal members had grants to build fences to keep livestock away from the rivers because of bank erosion! Is fishing any better for trout?
Since Chiloquin dam was removed, have people caught more cwam? Are river levels stabilized or worse from drought?
Why is the AIP, being called in the news a deal?
Agreements in Principle are not deals! Compromising treaty rights that don't insure on what basis the Treaty was established is not suppose to be a deal!
Taxpayers money pays for this deal! Legislation like a treaty is law! There's no going back!
There is no guarantee this agreement helps the tribe or fisheries, only agriculture it appears!
CONSIDER AND VOTE NO

Oakland, CA

#94 Mar 19, 2014
Would the KLAMATH TRIBES PLEASE VOTE NO ON THIS DIASTEROUS AIP REFERENDOM!
Lets stop and re negotiate through the GENERAL COUNCIL, REALISTIC compromises for giving up some water rights if necessary! Here are IDEAS I've floated before, but as a UNITED GENERAL COUNCIL could probably recommend others!
1)- RETURN BACK TO THE TRIBES PEAK TO PEAK BOUNDARIES FOR HUNTING, FISHING, AND GATHERING!!!
2)- SCHOLARSHIPS TO EDUCATE TRIBAL MEMBERS SPECIFICALLY FOR NATURAL RESOUCE, WATER, FISH AND WILDLIFE EDUCATIONS, to work side by side with state agencies to get the best results for everyone!
3)- REMOVE PROPERTY TAXES FOR TRIBAL MEMBERS WITHIN THOSE BOUNDARIES AS ORIGINALLY WAS INTENDED BY THE TREATY!
This would give incentives for property ownership,
And tribal members would get something for TIME IMMEMORIAL FOR COMPROMISING WATER RIGHTS!!
CONSIDER AND VOTE NO

Oakland, CA

#95 Mar 19, 2014
To add to above post! Rather than waste taxpayer money on a non productive piece of land paying 30 million for it and remaining 10 in the hands of corrupt tribal councils and natural resource departments! Give the 30 million to a property tax trust for Klamath county to help absorb property tax loss!
VETO

Gig Harbor, WA

#96 Mar 20, 2014
AIP=RIP
VOTE NO
FACT

Eagle Point, OR

#97 Mar 20, 2014
In 2000, antelope desert, AKA Mazama tree farm was offered to Klamath Tribes! The Desert was declined by the tribes because it was considered not economically productive! FACT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reno hit with over 230 earthquakes in 7 days 22 hr jhnsn d-s 2
News Pet welfare groups help fend for animals during... Mon FART GRIND 2
News Commentary: Days of cool weather do not negate ... Sun Karma et all eh 1
News The Way We Were: Ice jam in the Glen (Feb '15) Jan 20 where Glen 2ndary... 18
News How a broken arm and a barking dog help save 88... Jan 20 Angel 4
News Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal p... Jan 19 Pardon Pard 1
News 'Searching for a miracle' in California mudslides Jan 19 Muddy buddy 2
More from around the web