Klamath Tribes and feds exercise water rights in Oregon, will shut off irrigation for ranches

Jun 10, 2013 Full story: Nanaimo Daily News 97

Tens of thousands of acres in Oregon's drought-stricken Klamath Basin will have to go without irrigation water this summer after the Klamath Tribes and the federal government exercised for the first time newly confirmed powers that put the tribes in the driver's seat over the use of water.

Full Story
FYI

Chehalis, WA

#61 Dec 23, 2013
Eyes on Judas wrote:
Do like Willy Ray and declare yourself a Non Profit. You are right about Buston ox Gentry. He is no Judas. To imply, in this context, that he is a Judas would imply he is Indian. He is not. He defends termination. He justifies it. He would see this tribe forget anything Indian unless it can become Christianized first. He is no Indian and neither is anyone of the council members. They may think they are to themselves and to other Klamath tribal people but none of them know what an Indian is either. They have never lived the life. So How could they know? So alls you end up with is a bunch of white people with brown skin who worry about NOTHING but money and getting more so they dont have to do ANYTHING but scream for more. Been going on now for 59 yrs.
The brown skin is mighty light on most of them and it's getting a lot lighter. LOL
Eyes on Judas

Lebanon, OR

#62 Dec 24, 2013
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
The brown skin is mighty light on most of them and it's getting a lot lighter. LOL
Good one111 And not any smarter either. I would say its a really safe bet to make in claiming that there are now direct descendants (proud too) of G. Armstrong Custer in our midst now. If not him, many members of the 7th Calvary. The ones who slaughtered hundreds of old men, women, and children a little over a hundred yrs ago today. and won congressional medals of honor for it. That is the reality of it. This tribe is stupidest group of people that has ever existed and I have to be a part of that makes me REALLY upset! Its all driven by greed. This tribe lets non Indians rake them over the coals so they have an excuse to complain. They put the dumbest and greediest people in charge of things and then wonder why things are the way they are. Get rid of the whole bunch from the top down thru EVERY department and replace them with kids fresh out of highschool from K falls. Could that be any worse than it is now?
Elde

Cathlamet, WA

#63 Dec 24, 2013
Yes.
Blah blah blah

Portland, OR

#64 Dec 24, 2013
FYI AND EYE ON JUDAS the way you talk you give new meaning to inbred! If you weren't so full of hate you might be able to influence people positively! Instead you make the offenders seem credible and people vote for them because you talk like hateful dumb asses! Which you'd have a hard time proving otherwise!
Losers

Cathlamet, WA

#65 Dec 24, 2013
Losers show their hate with their childish language and 2nd grade grammar skills and think that they represent their Tribe. All they represent is the lowest that an American Native can get to when they do not give a SH*T about anything but themselves. And then they walk around with their chest puffed out like their big wigs but scared inside that their incompetence might show through.

And who cares what color their skin may be - except racist idiots like those who match the above description.
Eyes on Judas

Lebanon, OR

#66 Dec 24, 2013
Wanna bes use the fact that talk is cheap and rely on continuing ignorance to keep the deception going.. Go to a place where real Indians exis and spew your babble and seek support. You like things the way they are and rely on passiveness to do your bidding while the tribe gets bilked with your style of positivity.

Wake up and roll over and spread them wider fools. Thanks for proving my point 7th decendants. Reality sucks dont it!
Eyes on Judas

Lebanon, OR

#67 Dec 26, 2013
Losers wrote:
Losers show their hate with their childish language and 2nd grade grammar skills and think that they represent their Tribe. All they represent is the lowest that an American Native can get to when they do not give a SH*T about anything but themselves. And then they walk around with their chest puffed out like their big wigs but scared inside that their incompetence might show through.
And who cares what color their skin may be - except racist idiots like those who match the above description.
Go to Rosebud S. Dakota or Lame Deer Montana or Window Rock AZ and say those things honky! GO to Compton CA. and say that! You are not very smart are you? I know more about you now with just your few pathetic words than you do about yourself. You dont seem to have noticed the world you have created for yourself fool. You are no Indian so dont pretend to be. Have you been listening to your self?

1. You have no culture other than hot dogs and apple pie and a legacy of hypocrisy
2. Your ancestors came here expecting to break treaties with the native people
3. Your ancestors came here and poisoned my people under a flag of peace
4. Your ancestors came here and spread your diseases amongst my people

The ones your ancestors couldnt kill with your alcohol you just printed up some money and took their land. Now Mr. Con Colior, you are not smart so dont pretend to be. I will make you look like what you are I am good at it and I dont even know (or care to) know you. Alls I have to do is turn on a tv to the cartoon channel if I do care to look at you......Archie!
Move on

United States

#68 Dec 26, 2013
Eyes on Judas wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to Rosebud S. Dakota or Lame Deer Montana or Window Rock AZ and say those things honky! GO to Compton CA. and say that! You are not very smart are you? I know more about you now with just your few pathetic words than you do about yourself. You dont seem to have noticed the world you have created for yourself fool. You are no Indian so dont pretend to be. Have you been listening to your self?
1. You have no culture other than hot dogs and apple pie and a legacy of hypocrisy
2. Your ancestors came here expecting to break treaties with the native people
3. Your ancestors came here and poisoned my people under a flag of peace
4. Your ancestors came here and spread your diseases amongst my people
The ones your ancestors couldnt kill with your alcohol you just printed up some money and took their land. Now Mr. Con Colior, you are not smart so dont pretend to be. I will make you look like what you are I am good at it and I dont even know (or care to) know you. Alls I have to do is turn on a tv to the cartoon channel if I do care to look at you......Archie!
Your new Injun name LAST WORD ABOUT NOTHING! Go to the reservation where you feel wanted and leave chiloquin! Your nothing but a butt sore that won't fester and is filled with a river of green pus needing to be relieved from the pressure!
Eyes on Judas

Lebanon, OR

#69 Dec 26, 2013
You know something about pus? Man, you ARE smart! lol That green river flows right by your house dont it? Thanks for proving my point, too
NDN in the Calculator

Portland, OR

#70 Dec 30, 2013
Just running some numbers lately on current water values per acre square feet. The whole goal of the AIP is to temper our water right and allow 30,000 acre feet of in stream flows into the upper Klamath lake. The question will be what's the estimate of water (per acre foot.) do we let upper basin irrigators take to stay with in compliance of the 30,000 acre ft. stipulation. I don't see this anywhere in the AIP. Just to give some scale to the subject. In California, water utility districts are paying a premium from anywhere to $250 to $600 per acre foot. If we allow upper basin irrigators to irrigate 10,000 acre feet of water annually, on the low end, that would be an equivalent of $2.5 million dollars worth of water annually, on the high end it would be worth $6 million dollars worth of water annually. Now I see why they stormed the streets of downtown Klamath Falls this summer, can't blame them, that shits valuable. The one thing the AIP does adamantly state, is this agreement is binding once it hits final legislation. I sure hope the final negotiation reflects the real value of water, wouldn't want history to repeat itself like in 1954 when we accidently accepted a fraction of what those big beautiful Ponderosa Pines were worth. The difference between now and then is a powerful tool called the internet, no information can escape the power of the almighty web.
Eyes on Judas

Lebanon, OR

#71 Dec 31, 2013
NDN in the Calculator wrote:
Just running some numbers lately on current water values per acre square feet. The whole goal of the AIP is to temper our water right and allow 30,000 acre feet of in stream flows into the upper Klamath lake. The question will be what's the estimate of water (per acre foot.) do we let upper basin irrigators take to stay with in compliance of the 30,000 acre ft. stipulation. I don't see this anywhere in the AIP. Just to give some scale to the subject. In California, water utility districts are paying a premium from anywhere to $250 to $600 per acre foot. If we allow upper basin irrigators to irrigate 10,000 acre feet of water annually, on the low end, that would be an equivalent of $2.5 million dollars worth of water annually, on the high end it would be worth $6 million dollars worth of water annually. Now I see why they stormed the streets of downtown Klamath Falls this summer, can't blame them, that shits valuable. The one thing the AIP does adamantly state, is this agreement is binding once it hits final legislation. I sure hope the final negotiation reflects the real value of water, wouldn't want history to repeat itself like in 1954 when we accidently accepted a fraction of what those big beautiful Ponderosa Pines were worth. The difference between now and then is a powerful tool called the internet, no information can escape the power of the almighty web.
With that kinda dough Willy Ray can build two golf courses and new house to go with then. All the resources in this tribe get squandered. Its our hunting and fishing rights next. Sell those puppies cheap. There is no way the deer herd can take the double increase in tribal members now. They will pick off even the last squirrel by 2018. Fish? Ha! gotta have water first. People may notice the earth is getting warmer and eventually drier in this locale.
Where the NDN Leaders

Coos Bay, OR

#72 Dec 31, 2013
NDN in the Calculator wrote:
Just running some numbers lately on current water values per acre square feet. The whole goal of the AIP is to temper our water right and allow 30,000 acre feet of in stream flows into the upper Klamath lake. The question will be what's the estimate of water (per acre foot.) do we let upper basin irrigators take to stay with in compliance of the 30,000 acre ft. stipulation. I don't see this anywhere in the AIP. Just to give some scale to the subject. In California, water utility districts are paying a premium from anywhere to $250 to $600 per acre foot. If we allow upper basin irrigators to irrigate 10,000 acre feet of water annually, on the low end, that would be an equivalent of $2.5 million dollars worth of water annually, on the high end it would be worth $6 million dollars worth of water annually. Now I see why they stormed the streets of downtown Klamath Falls this summer, can't blame them, that shits valuable. The one thing the AIP does adamantly state, is this agreement is binding once it hits final legislation. I sure hope the final negotiation reflects the real value of water, wouldn't want history to repeat itself like in 1954 when we accidently accepted a fraction of what those big beautiful Ponderosa Pines were worth. The difference between now and then is a powerful tool called the internet, no information can escape the power of the almighty web.
You said 200-600 for acre feet for California Water districts-once wrote it was higher, which was true but people still voted for KBRA! Irrigators I doubt will pay that to the Tribe when needed! With the increase in drought from climate change which people tend to ignore like the fact genetics traces everyone to Africa, LEGISLATION is being forced now before the worst of water shortages come and Natives realize they have up earths most precious commodity for the equivalent of a handful of beads!
FACT: 2013 DRIEST YEAR IN OREGON HISTORY! 2 feet below 1944! Where are the leaders of this Tribe? How can this AIP insure the survival of the resources Creator gave to this Tribe! Where are the leaders who are passing the knowledge of protection of the Tribes treaty rights as STEWARDS of the water and land for time immemorial?
Where the NDN Leaders

Coos Bay, OR

#73 Dec 31, 2013
LEGISLATION is being forced now, before the worst of water shortages come, and Natives realize they have given up Earths most precious commodity for the equivalent for a handful of beads!
FACT : 2013 DRIEST YEAR ON RECORD IN OREGON!
nope

Chehalis, WA

#74 Dec 31, 2013
Vote no on the AIP
Eyes on Judas

Lebanon, OR

#75 Jan 1, 2014
nope wrote:
Vote no on the AIP
Voting in this tribe is of no consequence. The people in portland who have nothing to loose laugh when they see us falter cuz of their vote swing. The political system is broken,. Voting in it just promotes it. The whole thing needs to be abolished and chieftainships re established. Put someone with a least a portion of a brain to run things and let the tribe select a person from each "district" K Falls, Chi town, Eugene, Medford, Portland, ect. ect. as a rep and form a council that the person with an actual brain direct things. Quit equating money to our resources. They are priceless., Puting a price on our land is what started this whole mess in this watershed. Dont make it worse by doing it again.
nope

Chehalis, WA

#76 Jan 1, 2014
Eyes on Judas wrote:
<quoted text>
Voting in this tribe is of no consequence. The people in portland who have nothing to loose laugh when they see us falter cuz of their vote swing. The political system is broken,. Voting in it just promotes it. The whole thing needs to be abolished and chieftainships re established. Put someone with a least a portion of a brain to run things and let the tribe select a person from each "district" K Falls, Chi town, Eugene, Medford, Portland, ect. ect. as a rep and form a council that the person with an actual brain direct things. Quit equating money to our resources. They are priceless., Puting a price on our land is what started this whole mess in this watershed. Dont make it worse by doing it again.
and not voting is just giving in, VOTE NO ON THE AIP
Where the NDN Leaders

Coos Bay, OR

#77 Jan 1, 2014
In spite of the rantings of third eye blind, the powers that be will always create resolutions that don't need to manifest into bad ideas, that change the rights of the Klamath Tribes and their treaty rights! Who gave those negotiators the rights to create with people who don't have the tribes rights and interests at heart instead of their own, into legislations removing the tribes resources from their power! Here we are in 2014 years after voting for bad legislation with KBRA and now called an AIP because legislatirs dont want it, removing the same rights after establishing some ajudication of the Tribes water rights, and now the same people want to compromise those rights they said could not happen because it would mean costly legislation! Ajudication did happen!
They compromised and now the tribes are still in costly legislation! I would vote no for any AIP that gives the tribe a ONE time deal for land that is not gonna give the tribes any economic future and wait for using the new adjudicated water right in a way that leverages the tribes resources for time immemorial! Vote no!
Gut feeling

Modesto, CA

#78 Mar 6, 2014
Just read the news that the governor has overseen a historic agreement between tribes and agriculture over water in Klamath Basin! What does that mean? This is a governor that every sporting group and sportsman have come together to battle against him and ODFW salmon management! Ask the nez Perce tribe!
I wouldn't vote for this agreement that is written with more variables with language only a lawyer could love! Use common sense, not politics, your native gut instinct if you still have one! Don't vote on faith as we have been!!
VOTE NO

Lebanon, OR

#79 Mar 6, 2014
Only tribal that will benefit from this agreement is those who have ranches in the upper basin, they will receive a big fat check from the government for drought relief while the TRIBES lose more of their water rights with this agreement. Some of these people are sitting on the council and don't give a damn about doing what is in the best interest of the TRIBES, they will sell the TRIBES down the river just as long as they can keep lining their pockets. This go called council has done nothing for the tribes and have become absolutely untrustworthy since taking office.

THEY NEED TO GO.

DON'T PUT YOUR TRUST IN THIS TRIBAL COUNCIL, THEY WILL SCREW THE TRIBES FOR THEIR OWN AGENDA

VOTE NO ON THE UPPER BASIN WATER AGREEMENT!!

ITS ONLY PURPOSE SERVES TO HURT THE TRIBES
Think with heart and mind

Coos Bay, OR

#80 Mar 6, 2014
VOTE NO wrote:
Only tribal that will benefit from this agreement is those who have ranches in the upper basin, they will receive a big fat check from the government for drought relief while the TRIBES lose more of their water rights with this agreement. Some of these people are sitting on the council and don't give a damn about doing what is in the best interest of the TRIBES, they will sell the TRIBES down the river just as long as they can keep lining their pockets. This go called council has done nothing for the tribes and have become absolutely untrustworthy since taking office.
THEY NEED TO GO.
DON'T PUT YOUR TRUST IN THIS TRIBAL COUNCIL, THEY WILL SCREW THE TRIBES FOR THEIR OWN AGENDA
VOTE NO ON THE UPPER BASIN WATER AGREEMENT!!
ITS ONLY PURPOSE SERVES TO HURT THE TRIBES
Agree with this post! You can't compromise water rights during crisis? Don't compromise your most valuable treaty right when this year proves the value of water! You are being coerced by the same scam when government and business wanted the resources on the land! They won't quit unless you say no! THINK ON THIS! WHAT WILL THE TRIBE HAVE IF YOU SIGN YES?
WHAT WILL THE TRIBE HAVE IF YOU SIGN NO?
WHO IN THE TRIBE HAS BENEFITTED SINCE THIS AGREEMENT STARTED? WHO IN THE TRIBE WILL BENEFIT IF YOU VOTE YES FOR IT?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Military came to the rescue in 1964 flood 18 hr be very careful o... 2
Frozen Pittsburgh sees second-coldest February ... Sun Slick Mick 1
Tracking another weekend winter storm Sun Mets Fan Forever 2
Looking for Advice on the Phillipines (Dec '13) Sat Joe Garcia 7
Today in Photos, July 26 Sat 6 Different Count... 1
Magma and lava from volcanic eruption merge wit... Sat 7 volcanoes 1
WashPost: Global warming tides will carry screa... Sat meanwhile 1
More from around the web