Ethiopia threatens Egypt water supply with dam on the Nile

Jun 15, 2013 Full story: Washington Times 38

CAIRO , June 15, 2013 - "Egypt is the gift of the Nile" said Herodotus, the father of history, more than 2000 years ago when he visited the desert country in which the river is its main vein of life.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Africa Unite

United States

#1 Jun 17, 2013
I am perplexed reading this article. The writter scribled a lot about the importance of Nile to Egyptians, without even mentioning a single point that Ethiopia also needs the river, which originates from its land, to further its development projects. When writing, never get caught in partisanship. Reporting from Cairo should not make the sustance of article " Cairoish" I don't think Morsi and/or some of you reporters took logic class. If Egypt is the gift of the Nile and 86% of the Nile comes from Ethiopia, then Egypt-at first place- is the gift of Ethiopia. In other words, Ethiopia gave birth to Nile; Egypt fed on Ethiopia's breasts. Unfortunately, Egypt's harebrained politicians are behaving like a spoiled child, trying to bite their mom's breasts. I think these people have no clue of Natural Justice. When it comes to national interest, specially the Nile issue, we, Ethiopians unite in one. Send your jets, then our deciplined army that has been tested in many battlefields, will turn them in to ash! Mentioning the out-dated and British-imposed colonial-era treaty is laughable. By the way, this 1929 "treaty" has been strpped out by 8 African countries that contribute 99% of the water, through the Entebbe Accord. Egypt cannot win this game politically, diplomatically or even by millitary action.
THINK POSITIVE

Ethiopia

#2 Jun 17, 2013
Let both side of game maker stop attitude of war-monger.good citizen do not appreciate war unless they are product of war.we do not like war and neither does Egyptian.we are looking for fair share of water.i mean that if we use water at sacrifice of Egypt,it is not good and vice-verse.we should not use water which is gift of nature as pretext to propagate our warlike attitude to the poor people of our two nation.As positive thinker,no one is a developer and killer at the same time and in the same condition on earth.let as fight to have fair share of water and development.finally.i strongly advise the true leaders of Ethiopia and Egypt to seek political dialogue which will bring peaceful resolution to both of us.i reiterate that you can not develop and get peace of mind by killing Ethiopian and so is Egyptian. let love for life the sons of poor lead us toward the truth.think positive you will eventually dream positive and practice, accordingly.
Ramses II

GÓza, Egypt

#3 Jun 17, 2013
Africa Unite wrote:
I am perplexed reading this article. The writter scribled a lot about the importance of Nile to Egyptians, without even mentioning a single point that Ethiopia also needs the river, which originates from its land, to further its development projects. When writing, never get caught in partisanship. Reporting from Cairo should not make the sustance of article " Cairoish" I don't think Morsi and/or some of you reporters took logic class. If Egypt is the gift of the Nile and 86% of the Nile comes from Ethiopia, then Egypt-at first place- is the gift of Ethiopia. In other words, Ethiopia gave birth to Nile; Egypt fed on Ethiopia's breasts. Unfortunately, Egypt's harebrained politicians are behaving like a spoiled child, trying to bite their mom's breasts. I think these people have no clue of Natural Justice. When it comes to national interest, specially the Nile issue, we, Ethiopians unite in one. Send your jets, then our deciplined army that has been tested in many battlefields, will turn them in to ash! Mentioning the out-dated and British-imposed colonial-era treaty is laughable. By the way, this 1929 "treaty" has been strpped out by 8 African countries that contribute 99% of the water, through the Entebbe Accord. Egypt cannot win this game politically, diplomatically or even by millitary action.
Your problem guys that you feel victimized all the time, even by the American Washington Times article!!!
Yes, you are victimized, but not by the Washington Times, by Egyptians or Eritreans, but by your own corrupt regime, face it, this is the truth. TPLF has been sending you to lost wars for over 20 years, divided your country, lost your sea access, made you poorer, but you are just addicted to blaming others!!!

And when someone try to wake you up you call him askari

UNBELIEVABLE!
ismahan

Leicester, UK

#4 Jun 17, 2013
I am surprised by Egypt trying to use Somalis and other muslim groups neighboring Ithiopia and the Oromo people as bombshells that will protect the interest of Egypt. What makes them to believe that, after what Somalia has experienced and they have done nothing than laughing at us?! I am really ashamed of their intelligence. They may think we are stupids, but they will learn a lot the hard way.

I really feel sorry for the Arab world - i must admit that I am ashamed how they are thinking. It is unbelievable!
(a somali woman)
sole

Auckland, New Zealand

#5 Jun 17, 2013
Ramses II wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem guys that you feel victimized all the time, even by the American Washington Times article!!!
Yes, you are victimized, but not by the Washington Times, by Egyptians or Eritreans, but by your own corrupt regime, face it, this is the truth. TPLF has been sending you to lost wars for over 20 years, divided your country, lost your sea access, made you poorer, but you are just addicted to blaming others!!!
UNBELIEVABLE!
you are as boring as your writing!! absurd argument
lol

Tampa, FL

#6 Jun 17, 2013
ismahan wrote:
I am surprised by Egypt trying to use Somalis and other muslim groups neighboring Ithiopia and the Oromo people as bombshells that will protect the interest of Egypt. What makes them to believe that, after what Somalia has experienced and they have done nothing than laughing at us?! I am really ashamed of their intelligence. They may think we are stupids, but they will learn a lot the hard way.
I really feel sorry for the Arab world - i must admit that I am ashamed how they are thinking. It is unbelievable!
(a somali woman)
This problem is widespread in Africa, also in the Horn. Eritreans and North Sudanese for example could be easily instrumentalized by non-Africans to fight Africans. Try you as a muslim somali to use a muslim lebanese as a tool to fight a christian lebanese, you will not suceed. But the story is different in Africa as this example from Nigeria shows:

" 1] It[education] doesn't teach us loyalty to our race, the Black race; which is why a grown up Nigerian Muslim could say: "I am a Muslim and I worship Allah and I follow the way of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). I have no relationship with you, except that your skin is black. The lightest Arab is closer to me than you. If there were to be war between Muslims of any shade of color and the darkest of black people, I will be on the side of Muslims."
--Najib Bilal in email to B Bankie, Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:53:45 -0700 (PDT)"
Shame on u Ethiopia 8888

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#7 Jun 24, 2013
There's no good reason that the Ethiopians built the dam! It's not true for electricity power! They can establish nuclear power if they want!
We know the Ethiopian government is a puppet for USA and Isreal! And the idea of the dam is made by Isreal to make a conflict between Egypt and Ethiopia!
That dam will cause the Egyptians a lot of problems, and you Ethiopians will be blamed for your bad behaviours! You have no right to build the dam
There's no choice in this situation, so in this case, the Egyptian air force, or Scud missiles must attack that dam, and all Arab countries must support Egypt in everything!
Logical

Ethiopia

#8 Jun 24, 2013
Shame on u Ethiopia 8888 wrote:
There's no good reason that the Ethiopians built the dam! It's not true for electricity power! They can establish nuclear power if they want!
We know the Ethiopian government is a puppet for USA and Isreal! And the idea of the dam is made by Isreal to make a conflict between Egypt and Ethiopia!
That dam will cause the Egyptians a lot of problems, and you Ethiopians will be blamed for your bad behaviours! You have no right to build the dam
There's no choice in this situation, so in this case, the Egyptian air force, or Scud missiles must attack that dam, and all Arab countries must support Egypt in everything!
How can somebody accept your argument?
- Ethiopia contributes 85% of the water, Egypt that contributes nothing to the water wants to monopolize the Nile.
-Ethiopia's dam project is for electricity generation that does not reduce the volume of water. Why does Egypt oppose a project that does not affect her.
- Ethiopian population is increasing( 90 mil) its economy is demanding more energy. What is the sin if it starts developing its water? Or, Is Egypt ready to compensate Ethiopia for all the loss it incurs by not using its waters?

- It is irritating to hear Egypt politicians the way the see Black Africa countries. Egyptians have to forget warmongering and discuss in civilized manner.
FASIL

Renens, Switzerland

#9 Jun 24, 2013

...if Egypt try bomb the dam...don`t forget the retalition by Ethiopia would be the worest Aswan high dam will completely be eliminated from spot....even headless dumpy bro-hoood-muslim Ass,they know that....(souce-Mossad)!
Shabaab

Europe

#11 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
The Ethiopians have no right to monopolize the source of the river!
Imagine if the Egyptians established a dam on the Nile river that started from Egypt to Ethiopia, would you accept it?
What has the development to do with the dam?
It will not change the situation in Ethiopia, on the contrary, it will change to worse!
Yet, the Ethiopian government didn't give any guarantees to the Egyptian government whether it will deprive Egypt of their share of the river water or not!
The Ethiopian government took a chance to establish the dam because the present political situation in Egypt is unstable which is not good for its neighbour!
The Egyptians live from the river since 10000 years till today, now you Ethiopians want to ruin everything?
Even the agriculture of Egypt will be destroyed!
You can establish nuclear power to generate electricity instead the dam!
Think about it!
Dump. You don't provide a drop of water for the nile river but you talk time & again about your share. Ask the Eritrean government that promised to maintain & provide your share of nile water.
Shabaab

Europe

#12 Jun 26, 2013
Is it the government of Ethiopia that makes Egyptians kill, burn, eat each other ?
Who declared war & urged Egyptian Sunni's to go and kill, rape, burn Shiaa's in Syria ?
It is your religion that makes you kill, burn, rape, eat,...each other.
Shame on u Ethiopia 8888

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#13 Jun 26, 2013
Shabaab wrote:
Is it the government of Ethiopia that makes Egyptians kill, burn, eat each other ?
Who declared war & urged Egyptian Sunni's to go and kill, rape, burn Shiaa's in Syria ?
It is your religion that makes you kill, burn, rape, eat,...each other.
I'm sorry, we're not talking about religions, we're talking about Ethiopian dam on the Nile!
I'm against the sect conflict, but this is not our subject!
Peacekeeper

London, UK

#14 Aug 4, 2013
Ramses II wrote:
<quoted text>
UNBELIEVABLE!
I am sure this is written by some Eritrean hater! Get a life! Keep your hate to yourself. First look at your own regime who made your country empty with no young ppl around, no food and peace.
Zewdu

Ethiopia

#15 Aug 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Imagine if the Egyptians established a dam on the Nile river that started from Egypt to Ethiopia, would you accept it?
Ethiopia isn't asking to monopolize unlike your so called 1929 agreement! Have you ever read about other trans boundary rivers?
<quoted text>What has the development to do with the dam?
It will not change the situation in Ethiopia, on the contrary, it will change to worse!
How can you say this? Do you only know an oil economy or something?
<quoted text>Yet, the Ethiopian government didn't give any guarantees to the Egyptian government whether it will deprive Egypt of their share of the river water or not!
International experts conducted a study on the effects of the dam and found nothing negative! What other guarantee do you need?
<quoted text>The Ethiopian government took a chance to establish the dam because the present political situation in Egypt is unstable which is not good for its neighbour!
FYI, the project was already agreed as a joint project of the three Eastern Nile nations (ENTRO) of Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia before Pr. Hossnie Moubarek was toppled from power!
<quoted text>The Egyptians live from the river since 10000 years till today, now you Ethiopians want to ruin everything?
This is not true! How would one be cruel to kill millions of people down stream?
<quoted text>You can establish nuclear power to generate electricity instead the dam!
Think about it!
Nuclear power generation is quite expensive and needs technical expertise. In addition it takes as much as 10 years to build a 1000MW nuclear power while 4 to 5 years are enough with GERD!
jimma

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Aug 6, 2013
You muslims and arabs have done he supporting when the other arabs want to destroy Israels in those past wars and the loser all the time were arabs. Now, you are imagining that with the help of your allah that you can do the same. By the way, do you know from where the river come out from or are you just running your mouth just for the sake of it? You know mohamed, dreams and wishes are being human, but accomplishing and doing it to its final conclusion is what it distinguished dreamers from doers. Oh I get it, just may be as mohamed instructed and ordered you, them arabs might pack themselves with dynamite and come blow up the dam, so that they are doing the jihad and them go to paradise of milk and honey to enjoy the 72 virgins as mohamed promised you. And that is what I call dreaming
Prince of Egypt

Cairo, Egypt

#17 Aug 10, 2013
Egyptian air force just destroyed armed terrorists in Sinai. Once all the operations are over, Ethiopia and its dam are next.
Prince of Egypt

Cairo, Egypt

#18 Aug 10, 2013
Regarding the Aswan Dam, you have our word that if anyone tried to touch it there will be no Ethiopia anymore, and this is NOT an empty threat. I don't think the USA or ISRAEL would attempt to protect you. Israel doesn't want war with us, and the states will be facing all Arab countries together + Russia + China. If we are left alone 1 on 1 Egypt against Ethiopia SERIOUSLY there will be no Ethiopia. Don't let your misinformed pride lead you to utter destruction, because this is EXACTLY what will happen.
jimma

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Aug 10, 2013
<quoted text>
What has the development to do with the dam?
Yet, the Ethiopian government didn't give any guarantees to the Egyptian government whether it will deprive Egypt of their share of the river water or not!
The Ethiopian government took a chance to establish the dam because the present political situation in Egypt is unstable which is not good for its neighbour!
The Egyptians live from the river since 10000 years till today, now you Ethiopians want to ruin everything?
You can establish nuclear power to generate electricity instead the dam!
Think about it!
Well Ali or mohammed, I suppose just maybe you might pack your arab ass with dynamite and come blow up the dam. Fact is that Egypt due to her arrogant was sticking to colonial ear that was set up by the colonizer England as the bases of its right to the water. Rather than come of age and negotiate with the rest Eastern African counties the river come from, for reason of their own, which also seems to be with muslim people and countries are trying to claim what it is not their in the first place. As for generating electricity by means of nuclear, one can tell how your brain operate. I am sure, you must have heard people talking about this technology and I am sure, you do not any idea how much it will cost and the problem of contamination and its effect on the environment and people
xxx

Ethiopia

#21 Aug 11, 2013
Prince of Egypt wrote:
Regarding the Aswan Dam, you have our word that if anyone tried to touch it there will be no Ethiopia anymore, and this is NOT an empty threat. I don't think the USA or ISRAEL would attempt to protect you. Israel doesn't want war with us, and the states will be facing all Arab countries together + Russia + China. If we are left alone 1 on 1 Egypt against Ethiopia SERIOUSLY there will be no Ethiopia. Don't let your misinformed pride lead you to utter destruction, because this is EXACTLY what will happen.
Settle your internal political disputes first! Mohammed Morsi's presidency has to be restored!
Ethiopian

Springfield, VA

#22 Aug 11, 2013
Oh Boy - we are scared of Egypt - what a stupid idea. Egypt has not won a war in centuries. Syre you have a big military but what did it do for you. depose mubarek, depose mursi and shoot some protesters in the streets - that is what your military is good for. It could not even defend its boarders. You do not know what war is. You did not even fight a war that is more than 10 days. Nobody is afraid of Egypt. Egypt a military power - what a joke

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WashPost: Global warming tides will carry screa... 6 hr meanwhile 1
Forecasters look at the upcoming tornado season 6 hr meanwhile 1
We are being deceived over fracking dangers 6 hr meanwhile 1
William lords it over samurai saga 7 hr meanwhile 1
William lords it over samurai saga 7 hr meanwhile 1
Homes destroyed as Australia battles bushfire 10 hr St Nick 3
For Americans, Puerto Rico is an easy beach get... 19 hr medioguarddia 2
More from around the web