Fracking 'linked to biggest Oklahoma ...

Fracking 'linked to biggest Oklahoma earthquake'

There are 17 comments on the www.bbc.co.uk story from Mar 27, 2013, titled Fracking 'linked to biggest Oklahoma earthquake'. In it, www.bbc.co.uk reports that:

Scientists say wastewater injection from hydraulic fracturing was linked to a magnitude-5.7 earthquake that struck the US state of Oklahoma in 2011.

Fracking, as it is known, injects water and chemicals into petroleum wells in a bid to extract trapped natural gas.

Opponents of the practice say that it risks causing seismic events and contaminating groundwater.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.bbc.co.uk.

Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Mar 27, 2013
“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities
More Obama bullshit because cheap gas is problematic to America's downfall as a major power.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#2 Mar 27, 2013
there is a word for this article...

bulsht
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Location hidden

#3 Mar 27, 2013
carey529 wrote:
bulsht
"BULLSHIT" That's just what it is.
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Location hidden

#4 Mar 27, 2013
Benghazi caused the earthquake.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#5 Mar 27, 2013
Ah, the Limburghers have a new tactic: Kneejerk denial lie.

Lairs, all.
walkundertheinfl uence

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Mar 27, 2013
How about a link to the actual study, not bbc's story on it?

From the bbc article itself (not just the headline) it appears the link is far from established at this time.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#7 Mar 27, 2013
walkundertheinfluence wrote:
How about a link to the actual study, not bbc's story on it?
From the bbc article itself (not just the headline) it appears the link is far from established at this time.
have a ball.... http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=searc...
walkundertheinfl uence

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Mar 27, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
have a ball.... http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=searc...
Let's try this again:

How about a link to the ACTUAL STUDY, not someone else's story on it?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Mar 27, 2013
carey529 wrote:
bulsht
Right, and smoking doesn't cause cancer......

And drinking doesn't cause liver disease......

And cholesterol doesn't clog your arteries......

It's a science thing; you wouldn't understand.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#10 Mar 27, 2013
so, if we make these small, nondamaging quakes slip, instead of building up to large, damaging ones, isn't that a good thing?

people have talked of this since plate tectonics was first understood. now it seems to work.

all these mid-plate minor quakes we are having might relieve the stress on the New Madrid fault where huge quakes have hit previously...

“MAKE AMERICAN GREAT AGAIN!!”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#11 Mar 27, 2013
Are these the same scientist that with held data that proved global warming was a hoax? We need a domestic energy policy because I am tied of fighting Middle Eastern wars!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Mar 27, 2013
Retired SOF wrote:
Are these the same scientist that with held data that proved global warming was a hoax? We need a domestic energy policy because I am tied of fighting Middle Eastern wars!
Then support renewable energy. It can't be outsourced, there's an unlimited supply, and the energy itself is free.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#13 Mar 27, 2013
Retired SOF wrote:
the data that those very few scientist withheld in no way proved that.

you were lied to or ar too stupid to understand what you read. most likely both...

Location hidden

#14 Mar 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the data that those very few scientist withheld in no way proved that.
you were lied to or ar too stupid to understand what you read. most likely both...
So,I don't agree with you and you call me names! That isn't the way to bring me to your side. Data was deleted and with held for the purpose of a politic agenda NOT to help mankind!

Location hidden

#15 Mar 27, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then support renewable energy. It can't be outsourced, there's an unlimited supply, and the energy itself is free.
But right now it can't provide the power needed to run everybodies Ipad,TV's,laptops etc, natural gas can. As far as infrastructure repairs, we need to update our grid system.
I am an "all of the above" kinda guy. Drill, fossil fuel,fracking, wind ,solar,renewable use it all. Fossil fuels can provide the money for jobs,revenue,lower gas prices and for more R&D to make renewables more affordable. If gas would go back to under $2 a gallon, that would be a big help to the economy. Find something else so we can push away from the crazies from the ME. I am tired of fighting Middle Eastern wars!
Sheik Yerbouti

Southampton, PA

#16 Mar 27, 2013
The same thing happened in Ohio last year and the link between fracking and the quake was well documented.
walkundertheinfl uence

Virginia Beach, VA

#17 Mar 27, 2013
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
The same thing happened in Ohio last year and the link between fracking and the quake was well documented.
Let's see the documentation then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fewer Cuban rafts trying to reach US soil along... 15 hr Willy 2
News Florida blaze spreads after ripping through hom... 17 hr joe 16
News Thieves steal dog, but not owner's determinatio... (Jul '15) Fri Bothell dog lover 2
News Alice Cooper to take Tupelo by storm Fri No Coverage 9
News Weird clouds may have inspired 'The Scream' pai... Apr 25 Xstain Mullah Aroma 2
News Prof at The Nation: CO2 'A Far More Deadly Gas'... Apr 25 okimar 3
News The Opioid Crisis Has Led to More Help for Addi... Apr 22 They cannot kill ... 24
More from around the web