How Children Get ADHD Was Once Though...

How Children Get ADHD Was Once Thought To Be The Flu

There are 21 comments on the Life With ADHD story from Jun 6, 2011, titled How Children Get ADHD Was Once Thought To Be The Flu. In it, Life With ADHD reports that:

Let's take a walk back in time to 1919 in a rural schoolhouse. Mrs. Smith has fifteen students half of which have the primary ADHD symptoms of hyperactivity, inattentiveness, and impulsivity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Life With ADHD.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#1 Jun 7, 2011
Child Drugging: Psychiatry Destroying Lives

Pasted from < http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display... ;

Contrary to psychiatric opinion, children are not “experimental animals.” They are human beings who have every right to expect protection, care, love and the chance to reach their full potential in life. A chance denied them by psychiatry’s labels and chemical straitjackets.
Child Drugging: Psychiatry Destroying Lives

Newspaper articles often trumpet the “wonders” of modern day psychopharmaceutical research for the treatment of childhood learning and emotional “problems” and “disabilities.”
They sound reasonable. They sound convincing—science again conquers our material universe for the benefit of Mankind. Who could possibly argue with making a normal life possible for those in trouble?
Daniel’s parents would. And so would Cory’s. They would argue vehemently and passionately. And with more than 20 million school children worldwide said to have a mental disorder that requires them to be chemically restrained by powerful mind-altering psychiatric drugs, these parents are far from alone.
Who are Daniel and Cory and why do their parents disagree? They are children who are not only unable to lead normal lives because of so-called “miracle” drugs; they are tragically no longer with us at all, because of those drugs.
I invite you to analyze the above illustration more closely from the point of view of children, because the reality and the labels may not reflect the same thing when it comes to psychiatry’s “drugs of the moment.”
Reflect on several of the words and how they are used. Take “normal,” for example. You probably have your own idea of what a normal sort of life is. Does it involve the consumption of addictive, mind-altering and deadly psychiatric drugs? Does it involve a total reliance on such drugs to remain normal?
What about the word “medications?” Does it ease your mind by conjuring up images of some benign cough syrup prescribed by a kindly family doctor? Nothing could be further from the truth. A psychiatric medication is a very powerful addictive drug.
Then there is the term “scientific,” often used by psychiatry to add legitimacy to its pronouncements. According to the World Book Dictionary, the word implies “systematic; accurate; exact.” Those characteristics have nothing to do with psychiatry or, for that matter, its cousin, psychology.

Pasted from < http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display... ;
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#3 Jun 7, 2011
Are ADHD Meds Making Boys Behave Like Girls?

An interesting column appeared on forbes.com yesterday by Lionel Tiger, a columnist for the website and professor of anthropology at Rutgers University. In his column, Tiger cites the example of France hardly permitting the use of Ritalin and other stimulants in kids, which I've noted before myself, gets into the various conflict of interest scandals around child and adult psychiatry, and then asks:
"The overwhelming proportion of children fed Ritalin--as high as 90% by some estimates--are boys.
"Is it possible that because girls do much better in the school system than boys, boys are being drugged to behave more like girls? Are boys who enjoy large-muscle movements and jolty social interactions being drugged to render them more manageable in classes calibrated to female patterns of behavior and attention? Is this an example in the early years of a feminization of the school system that later on in college yields a ratio of women to men of about 63% to 37%?"
I have no idea if Ritalin does indeed represent the "sissification" (as a friend of mine calls it) of American boys in an educational system that was once built around their needs and behavioral patterns (perhaps excessively so), but is now apparently tilted towards girls (or so I'm told), but it is a provocative question. I don't see American culture and education in such stark terms. The needs of girls are important, too.
That said, there's something truly strange about the fact that most of the children being slammed with ADHD drugs and various meds for alleged child bipolar disorder are in fact boys (among teens, it appears that girls wind up taking more anti-depressants). Prior to the 1990s or thereabouts, it was unheard, except in unusual circumstances, to medicate children for much of anything beyond colds and various vaccines. Nowadays, on the order of 5 percent and more of American kids are medicated for some form of mental disorder, a sea change that ought to give everyone pause regardless of where they line up on medication issues.
Because when you make an epic shift in how you deal with an issue of any kind in a culture and let it play out for a generation or so, it's time to start asking questions about how it's all worked out, measure results and figure out if it's been a worthwhile way of doing things. Presently, I don't think anyone is asking those questions and digging into the data, but it's about time someone did ask, "How has a generation of drugging little boys turned out for us as a culture? Are the kids better and smarter? Is our nation better off? Have we made boys more like girls?" And so on.

Pasted from < http://www.furiousseasons.com/archives/2008/1... ;
1 in 38 have autism

Winnipeg, Canada

#4 Jun 12, 2011
It makes sense, encephalitis caused by viral infection prior to vaccines, but now vaccines cause encephalitis with their viral components

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#5 Jun 13, 2011
It runs in some families. I have two kids with ADHD and one with ADD. They are smart kids and not brain damaged nor did any of them ever have the flu.

I agree with Human Spirit, drugging our children with harsh amphetamines isn't the answer.
FBOMBER

Canada

#6 Jun 15, 2011
HumanSpirit wrote:
Child Drugging: Psychiatry Destroying Lives
Pasted from < http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display... ;
Contrary to psychiatric opinion, children are not “experimental animals.” They are human beings who have every right to expect protection, care, love and the chance to reach their full potential in life. A chance denied them by psychiatry’s labels and chemical straitjackets.
Child Drugging: Psychiatry Destroying Lives
Newspaper articles often trumpet the “wonders” of modern day psychopharmaceutical research for the treatment of childhood learning and emotional “problems” and “disabilities.”
They sound reasonable. They sound convincing—science again conquers our material universe for the benefit of Mankind. Who could possibly argue with making a normal life possible for those in trouble?
Daniel’s parents would. And so would Cory’s. They would argue vehemently and passionately. And with more than 20 million school children worldwide said to have a mental disorder that requires them to be chemically restrained by powerful mind-altering psychiatric drugs, these parents are far from alone.
Who are Daniel and Cory and why do their parents disagree? They are children who are not only unable to lead normal lives because of so-called “miracle” drugs; they are tragically no longer with us at all, because of those drugs.
I invite you to analyze the above illustration more closely from the point of view of children, because the reality and the labels may not reflect the same thing when it comes to psychiatry’s “drugs of the moment.”
Reflect on several of the words and how they are used. Take “normal,” for example. You probably have your own idea of what a normal sort of life is. Does it involve the consumption of addictive, mind-altering and deadly psychiatric drugs? Does it involve a total reliance on such drugs to remain normal?
What about the word “medications?” Does it ease your mind by conjuring up images of some benign cough syrup prescribed by a kindly family doctor? Nothing could be further from the truth. A psychiatric medication is a very powerful addictive drug.
Then there is the term “scientific,” often used by psychiatry to add legitimacy to its pronouncements. According to the World Book Dictionary, the word implies “systematic; accurate; exact.” Those characteristics have nothing to do with psychiatry or, for that matter, its cousin, psychology.
Pasted from < http://chicago.indymedia.org/newswire/display... ;
You've left out one important detail. The mental issues these children deal with for life, start with vaccine caused neurological damage. And then, as you say, the public doesn't realize all the omniscience bravado from Pharma shows they really believe they can do no wrong. Or, they can't admit to it. One wonders why the U.S. government had to save them when they were being found negligent over and over, almost being put out of business. Setting up a vaccine compensation program, and vaccine court. Finally, they were giving blanket immunity from litigation. Seems heavy handed protection for "safe" vaccines.
FBOMBER

Canada

#7 Jun 15, 2011
Pamela in red wrote:
It runs in some families. I have two kids with ADHD and one with ADD. They are smart kids and not brain damaged nor did any of them ever have the flu.
I agree with Human Spirit, drugging our children with harsh amphetamines isn't the answer.
Are they vaccinated? It doesn't run in families. The Genome Project has proven autism is not inherited. Its genetic damage. They are looking at spontaneous genetic mutation. Ethylmercury,and aluminum are nerutoxic, endocrine disruptors and known to be able to cause spontaneous genetic mutation. Formaldehyde can cause genetic damage.

Formaldehyde. Genotoxic and mutogenic
mutage.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/3/183.fu...
Aluminum induced DNA damage
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tox.20482...
Genotoxic Thimerosal
www.vaccinationnews.com/evidence-thimerosal-r...

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#8 Jun 16, 2011
FBOMBER wrote:
<quoted text>
Are they vaccinated? It doesn't run in families. The Genome Project has proven autism is not inherited. Its genetic damage. They are looking at spontaneous genetic mutation. Ethylmercury,and aluminum are nerutoxic, endocrine disruptors and known to be able to cause spontaneous genetic mutation. Formaldehyde can cause genetic damage.
Formaldehyde. Genotoxic and mutogenic
mutage.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/3/183.fu...
Aluminum induced DNA damage
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tox.20482...
Genotoxic Thimerosal
www.vaccinationnews.com/evidence-thimerosal-r...
ADHD has been around long before vaccinations.

As for the growing numbers of Autism, that one is easy. Women are waiting too late in life to have babies. There has always been Autism as well but not as many as now because of modern medicine helping older women have babies.

Doctors used to tell women it wasn't a good idea to have children after the age of 35; with each year there is an increase in birth defects. It's no longer politically correct to tell women they are too old to have children and this is the result.

Look at most of the mothers of these children and you'll see I am right. Yes, a young woman can have an Autistic child but most of these children are born to mature moms.
FBOMBER

Canada

#9 Jun 18, 2011
Pamela in red wrote:
<quoted text>
ADHD has been around long before vaccinations.
As for the growing numbers of Autism, that one is easy. Women are waiting too late in life to have babies. There has always been Autism as well but not as many as now because of modern medicine helping older women have babies.
Doctors used to tell women it wasn't a good idea to have children after the age of 35; with each year there is an increase in birth defects. It's no longer politically correct to tell women they are too old to have children and this is the result.
Look at most of the mothers of these children and you'll see I am right. Yes, a young woman can have an Autistic child but most of these children are born to mature moms.
Tell me where I can read that. And as this topic says, ADHD was once thought to be caused by the flu. If correct, can it be cause by flu vaccines or other viruses? I've read little evidence that age of parents had an impact.

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#10 Jun 19, 2011
FBOMBER wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me where I can read that. And as this topic says, ADHD was once thought to be caused by the flu. If correct, can it be cause by flu vaccines or other viruses? I've read little evidence that age of parents had an impact.
I don't think the flu has anything to do with any of these disorders. Psychologists have found that it runs in families.

I realize this thread is concerning ADHD but you mentioned Autism as well. It's a known fact among clinicians that the older the mother the higher the risk of birth defects. It's no longer politically correct to tell a woman she is too old for anything and this is the result.

The internet isn't always the best place to get data but here are a few sites for you to look at.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-08/health/aut...

http://healthandfitnesstimes.com/mature-mothe...

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenat...
FBOMBER

Winkler, Canada

#11 Jun 20, 2011
Pamela in red wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think the flu has anything to do with any of these disorders. Psychologists have found that it runs in families.
I realize this thread is concerning ADHD but you mentioned Autism as well. It's a known fact among clinicians that the older the mother the higher the risk of birth defects. It's no longer politically correct to tell a woman she is too old for anything and this is the result.
The internet isn't always the best place to get data but here are a few sites for you to look at.
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-08/health/aut...
http://healthandfitnesstimes.com/mature-mothe...
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenat...
Psychologists label behavior. Etiology is not what they work with. I've read many many theories, and age of parents has only a weak association at best.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#12 Jul 21, 2011
Pamela in red wrote:
<quoted text>
ADHD has been around long before vaccinations.
As for the growing numbers of Autism, that one is easy. Women are waiting too late in life to have babies. There has always been Autism as well but not as many as now because of modern medicine helping older women have babies.
Doctors used to tell women it wasn't a good idea to have children after the age of 35; with each year there is an increase in birth defects. It's no longer politically correct to tell women they are too old to have children and this is the result.
Look at most of the mothers of these children and you'll see I am right. Yes, a young woman can have an Autistic child but most of these children are born to mature moms.
Recent studies have confirmed that there is an increase in autism in older mothers (over 35). However, the increase in autism rates can also be partially attributed to improved screenings.
FBOMBER

Canada

#13 Jul 26, 2011
Pamela in red wrote:
<quoted text>
ADHD has been around long before vaccinations.
As for the growing numbers of Autism, that one is easy. Women are waiting too late in life to have babies. There has always been Autism as well but not as many as now because of modern medicine helping older women have babies.
Doctors used to tell women it wasn't a good idea to have children after the age of 35; with each year there is an increase in birth defects. It's no longer politically correct to tell women they are too old to have children and this is the result.
Look at most of the mothers of these children and you'll see I am right. Yes, a young woman can have an Autistic child but most of these children are born to mature moms.
You're taking nonsense. You've simply bought into the myths. Post valid info ADHD existed at any time in the numbers it does now, and explain yourself then.
FBOMBER

Canada

#14 Jul 26, 2011
chicagoRN wrote:
<quoted text>
Recent studies have confirmed that there is an increase in autism in older mothers (over 35). However, the increase in autism rates can also be partially attributed to improved screenings.
More nonsense, more believing and spreading of garbage science.
TnTitan

Spring Hill, TN

#15 Aug 14, 2011
Pamela & FBomber - you're a couple of arrogant a-holes. Unless you're both geneticists, please STFU. Older women having babies and/or vaccinations = autism and ADHD?!? You're implying that, somehow, parents are ultimately responsible for their childrens' disorders. Do either of you brainiacs actually KNOW any families with autistic children? Shame on you for adding to the guilt that they already live with everyday. You can take your opinions and shove them.

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#16 Aug 15, 2011
TnTitan wrote:
Pamela & FBomber - you're a couple of arrogant a-holes. Unless you're both geneticists, please STFU. Older women having babies and/or vaccinations = autism and ADHD?!? You're implying that, somehow, parents are ultimately responsible for their childrens' disorders. Do either of you brainiacs actually KNOW any families with autistic children? Shame on you for adding to the guilt that they already live with everyday. You can take your opinions and shove them.
I know many people with autistic children and most are from mature mothers. It's a proven fact all you have to do is read statistics. Older women have a higher tendency to have babies with birth defects. Nothing new here just not PC to tell women this anymore and sadly children are the ones suffering.
FBOMBER

Canada

#17 Aug 15, 2011
TnTitan wrote:
Pamela & FBomber - you're a couple of arrogant a-holes. Unless you're both geneticists, please STFU. Older women having babies and/or vaccinations = autism and ADHD?!? You're implying that, somehow, parents are ultimately responsible for their childrens' disorders. Do either of you brainiacs actually KNOW any families with autistic children? Shame on you for adding to the guilt that they already live with everyday. You can take your opinions and shove them.
No its you who should stfu.If you had reading comprehension skills you'd realize i'm on your side.
FBOMBER

Canada

#18 Aug 15, 2011
Pamela in red wrote:
<quoted text>
I know many people with autistic children and most are from mature mothers. It's a proven fact all you have to do is read statistics. Older women have a higher tendency to have babies with birth defects. Nothing new here just not PC to tell women this anymore and sadly children are the ones suffering.
Back up your statements. Where do we read this?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#19 Nov 26, 2011
I believe that we should stop taking risks by using dangerous drugs like Adderall and Strattera for ADHD, I think we should find more natural foods that prevent or reverse the effects of ADHD.

I found out a while ago about a super green food called Midori Greens.

It has the natural food Phytoplankton which provides Neurological Support for - Mental alertness, ADHD, Parkinson's, and general dementia

You can read about all the customer reviews at http://www.iherbcodes.org/MidoriGreens

I would much rather trust natural foods for my son than a drug like Adderall that causes so many side effects.
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#20 Nov 26, 2011
TnTitan wrote:
Pamela & FBomber - you're a couple of arrogant a-holes. Unless you're both geneticists, please STFU. Older women having babies and/or vaccinations = autism and ADHD?!? You're implying that, somehow, parents are ultimately responsible for their childrens' disorders. Do either of you brainiacs actually KNOW any families with autistic children? Shame on you for adding to the guilt that they already live with everyday. You can take your opinions and shove them.
And who are you? What do you offer but Trollism.
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#21 Nov 26, 2011
Samantha777 wrote:
I believe that we should stop taking risks by using dangerous drugs like Adderall and Strattera for ADHD, I think we should find more natural foods that prevent or reverse the effects of ADHD.
I found out a while ago about a super green food called Midori Greens.
It has the natural food Phytoplankton which provides Neurological Support for - Mental alertness, ADHD, Parkinson's, and general dementia
You can read about all the customer reviews at http://www.iherbcodes.org/MidoriGreens
I would much rather trust natural foods for my son than a drug like Adderall that causes so many side effects.
Troll pushing product

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Way We Were: Ice jam in the Glen (Feb '15) Sat where Glen 2ndary... 18
News How a broken arm and a barking dog help save 88... Sat Angel 4
News Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal p... Fri Pardon Pard 1
News 'Searching for a miracle' in California mudslides Fri Muddy buddy 2
News Op-Ed Contributor: The Wrong Way to Treat Opioi... Jan 18 noobieR 1
News Be prepared for any emergency, says Region (May '12) Jan 17 what is nuke plan eh 7
News Mild earthquake felt in Victoria Jan 16 RDL 2
More from around the web