Police Work to Enforce Animal Safety During Heat Wave

Animal control officers are on the lookout for pets left in cars during this heat wave and they're doing whatever it takes to get them out. Full Story
Who Knows

Lyndhurst, VA

#1 Jul 16, 2013
It's a shame that police don't put forth the same efforts to save human children from cooking to death in a hot car. If they did, then four helpless children would still be alive in just the last two months in Virginia and Maryland.

I think it is cruel to leave pets in a hot vehicle, so I am glad that police watch out for them, but would it be that hard to look for children at the same time???

When people leave a baby or babies for six to eight hours in a parking lot, how is it that no one notices?
Rufus X

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jul 16, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
It's a shame that police don't put forth the same efforts to save human children from cooking to death in a hot car. When people leave a baby or babies for six to eight hours in a parking lot, how is it that no one notices?
Well, there are a whole lot of Democrats there.
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jul 16, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
It's a shame that police don't put forth the same efforts to save human children from cooking to death in a hot car. If they did, then four helpless children would still be alive in just the last two months in Virginia and Maryland.
I think it is cruel to leave pets in a hot vehicle, so I am glad that police watch out for them, but would it be that hard to look for children at the same time???
When people leave a baby or babies for six to eight hours in a parking lot, how is it that no one notices?
Right. Because they'd just walk by the child.

:eyeroll:
Bly

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jul 17, 2013
Thank you, animal control officers. Virginia ACOs are doing a great job with rescuing these animals from hot cars and our communities support making this a zero tolerance crime. anyone who sees an animal left in a car on a day over 75 degrees should not only report it to the police, but inform the business and let them know you expect them to prohibit this.
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jul 17, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
Do you really think that persons on the look for trapped animals would ignore a child in the same setting?????
Window Smashing

Martinsville, VA

#7 Jul 17, 2013
Retired cop here. Will have you know I smashed the living **** out of several windows to save some babies from their idiot ****** parents, saved couple dogs too. What I really loved was smashing windows and jacking fools out of their vehicles though. All completely justified of course.

“Use renewable resources”

Since: Apr 11

Wear fur and save the earth

#8 Jul 17, 2013
I wish police would put their time and energy into doing things that benefit society. If they have time for insignificant things like this, perhaps there are too many of them and the city should make cuts and stop wasting resources.
Who Knows

Lyndhurst, VA

#9 Jul 17, 2013
Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think that persons on the look for trapped animals would ignore a child in the same setting?????
No, I just think that they should actively have a program to look for kids in hot cars, just like they do for looking for animals. I don't think it is enough to just run across a child while looking for pets suffering and dying in the heat.

I HAVE seen police vehicles set up in parking lots with big signs proclaiming warnings about pets left in hot vehicles, but never, ever a warning about children. Don't you at least think babies are as important as dogs??
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jul 17, 2013
USA R0CKS wrote:
I wish police would put their time and energy into doing things that benefit society. If they have time for insignificant things like this, perhaps there are too many of them and the city should make cuts and stop wasting resources.
You haven't had your first cup of coffee this morning sounds like!!
Anonymouse

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jul 17, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure that the police are just ignoring babies in cars to look after dogs in cars.
Confused

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jul 17, 2013
I am really confused by the comments from Fluvanna. There have been several phone calls to animal control about dogs in pens on hot pavement in a drive way and nothing was done, not even a drive to the house. So, I do not understand this sudden urgency in worrying about animals. Concerns have been voiced to the local authorities in Fluvanna and the dogs are STILL in pens on the pavement.

“Use renewable resources”

Since: Apr 11

Wear fur and save the earth

#13 Jul 17, 2013
Confused wrote:
I am really confused by the comments from Fluvanna. There have been several phone calls to animal control about dogs in pens on hot pavement in a drive way and nothing was done, not even a drive to the house. So, I do not understand this sudden urgency in worrying about animals. Concerns have been voiced to the local authorities in Fluvanna and the dogs are STILL in pens on the pavement.
I know what you mean. I recently phoned the FBI because the neighbor didn't have an air conditioner in his dog's house. People are so cruel. Perhaps if we waste enough of peoples' time, something will change.
hunters are COWARDS

Virginia Beach, VA

#15 Jul 17, 2013
thanks for the pretty decorations, no life loser troll!!!
Tiffany Anne Shifflett

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jul 18, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
<quoted text>No, I just think that they should actively have a program to look for kids in hot cars, just like they do for looking for animals. I don't think it is enough to just run across a child while looking for pets suffering and dying in the heat.
I HAVE seen police vehicles set up in parking lots with big signs proclaiming warnings about pets left in hot vehicles, but never, ever a warning about children. Don't you at least think babies are as important as dogs??
....you would think that the idiot parents of children or the idiot keepers of pets would know better....obviously that is not the case.
Confused

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jul 18, 2013
Confused wrote:
Ok, perhaps I did not get my point across well enough or even mention my intent. I was not calling because I am a tree hugger, I called because I CAN NOT STAND the constant barking. It drives me nuts to have at least 5 to 8 dogs constantly barking. It drives me insane to hear that constant barking. So, call me selfish, but it is disruptive.
owner

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jul 18, 2013
This is a good way for the doggy police to get his little feelings hurt by messing with my car or dog!
Huh

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jul 18, 2013
I'd like to hear from the police on their position on smashing of car windows and whether or not you can be charged with a crime for doing so if the situation warrants it.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jul 18, 2013
Huh wrote:
I'd like to hear from the police on their position on smashing of car windows and whether or not you can be charged with a crime for doing so if the situation warrants it.
Don't be a Zimmerman. Call the cops and let them handle it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Offices closed, flights cancelled in Atlantic C... 11 hr Nantucket 1
Prentice pledges $20 million to fast-track floo... 11 hr Torys knew flood ... 2
Our View: Whole lotta shakin' ... 11 hr happened in 1700 1
Keep earthquakes in perspective 11 hr Campbell River 1
National Space Organization to launch satellite... 11 hr Mel 1
Philly to Boston bracing for up to 3 feet of pa... 14 hr reality is a crutch 1
Oklahoma Supreme Court to Hear Oil Company/Eart... 20 hr Dorothy 1
More from around the web