A Day in the DRC

May 22, 2013 Full story: The Atlantic

Witnessing life in Goma, a city that's been invaded, ransacked, inundated with refugees, and flattened by a volcano -- all in the last 17 years.

Full Story

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 May 22, 2013
Goma was only part plated over by lava in the last Nyiragongo eruption.

It needs the rest to be plated over to make it a full set, and clear up all the crap left behind by the average everyday life.

What I DO remember about "Goma" is that it is actually a term used worldwide nowadays as a very cheap weapon of war.
The way to do it (has been done many times since) is to flood a neighbouring country with all of the unwanted of the country @ the time together with bags, baggage & armaments, and then let the refugees create vast amounts of chaos destroying the economy & social structure of the country they decamped into en masse.

This is one reason (aside from the plagues caused by the refugee crisis), that the city of Goma was justifiably plated over by lava.

"Goma" is now ongoing in Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon. The war in Iraq also resulted in "Goma" and led to the civil war in syria. The UK also had its own version of "Goma" during the Iraq invasion with the inevitable aftermath.
My emigration as a result of the disastrous Labour party maladministration of supplementary benefits and devastation of the UK taxable income total (plus all those state handfouts to foreign communist organisations), is absolute as my career was destroyed by the same phenomenon.

The only reason why I am still in the UK is because none of Gordon Brown's "most favoured immigrants" can afford to buy my house; and I absolutely refuse to donate it to the local council for usage in rental accommodation,(my view matched by all others in the same situation).

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Youth Suicide on the Rise in Modernizing India 31 min Nuhor Lir Gurenna 7
Ten years on: Oxfam digests lessons from 2004 I... 1 hr other lessons 1
For Once the Anti-Vaxxers Aren't (Entirely) to ... 1 hr New mom 5
11:16 Earthquake of magnitude 4.4 occurs near A... 4 hr Kazakhstan 1
State houses pass earthquake test 5 hr Sid 1
Russian ruble extends losses 5 hr anonymous 57
Aurora Borealis or northern lights 2013 live: S... (Apr '13) 20 hr Sanya Saxena 10
More from around the web