Yellowstone Volcanic History

Yellowstone Volcanic History

There are 1 comment on the Holtville Tribune story from May 18, 2014, titled Yellowstone Volcanic History. In it, Holtville Tribune reports that:

The most recent volcanic activity consisted of rhyolitic lava flows that erupted approximately 70,000 years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Holtville Tribune.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 May 19, 2014
Handy article.

Now know that the last eruption 70,000 Bp was the pitchstone plateau rhyolite flow (not known before).

Also know (not in article) that the eruption was subglacial in response to doubling of the size of the laurentide ice cap following Toba supervolcano eruption (74,000Bp) with the impetus for eruption being the cooling & rigidity of the cap above the residual magma chamber & depression loading of ice on the NW sector of the caldera causing uplift of SE sector.

Result was a rather large zit event with magma being largely degassed rhyolite residual magma erupting under either ice or water.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Manhunt in Memphis continues after officer, 33,... 7 hr serfs up 51
News Storm damage (Jul '11) 21 hr is roof off 9th line 5
News Expectant mothers in California urged to vaccin... Mon slack jaw 1
News Thousands of Invaders Are Walking into Europe, ... Mon SunceTiJebem 11
News Severe thunderstorm watch issued for Toronto, V... Mon news community 1
News A storm in Goderich on Aug. 2, 2015. Image cred... Mon Storm 1
News Boso asks Tomblin for funding to help pay for W... Sun whocares 3
More from around the web