Giant Underground Blob of Magma Puzzl...

Giant Underground Blob of Magma Puzzles Scientists

There are 1 comment on the Live Science story from Sep 17, 2013, titled Giant Underground Blob of Magma Puzzles Scientists. In it, Live Science reports that:

The Afar Rift in Ethiopia is marked by enormous gashes that signal the breakup of the African continent and the beginnings of a new ocean basin, scientists think.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Live Science.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Sep 18, 2013
Nice that they found the blob of hot rock in the upper mantle. They have been seeking this in other hotspot volcanoes for decades.

Interesting bit is that the current Afar rift series is enabling magma intrusion in dike swarms & large cinder cone eruptions at numerous Afar triangle volcanoes.

No signs of major lava production from Erta Ale so far.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Study says drought cost to grow by ... 57 min Novus Ordo Seclorum 5
News Flood victims need emotional and spiritual stre... 2 hr HumanSpirit 1
News Grand Jury: Water loss found in cities across i... 4 hr Latricia 6
News Vacaville ups water conservation efforts to Sta... 4 hr A Thought 2
News Former Bay St. Louis mayor reflects on decade s... 13 hr disgrace to the bay 1
News In Long Beach, a conflict over rental inspections 15 hr Donna 1
News 5 Small Quakes off Oregon Coast; Tsunami Surviv... 21 hr racistoregon 1
More from around the web