Wildfire risk to N.M. homes in billions

Wildfire risk to N.M. homes in billions

There are 6 comments on the KRQE Albuquerque story from Oct 10, 2013, titled Wildfire risk to N.M. homes in billions. In it, KRQE Albuquerque reports that:

New Mexico has an almost $5 billion problem. A new study shows that's the value of homes in the state that are in immediate danger when wildfire rears its ugly head.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRQE Albuquerque.

“Samo Sloga Svet Spasava”

Since: Jan 10

Hoppegarten, Germany

#1 Oct 14, 2013
One would think in a town located within a forest...employing an inexperienced, uneducated, oily bohunk in the position of fire chief would be a gross error caught by state risk management.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Oct 14, 2013
I've heard that homeowner's insurance in wildfire areas is expected to go skyhigh under the new regs.
Ace

Ruidoso, NM

#3 Oct 15, 2013
Bavarian Hellbilly wrote:
One would think in a town located within a forest...employing an inexperienced, uneducated, oily bohunk in the position of fire chief would be a gross error caught by state risk management.
Our new chief has been bragging for several years now that he will lower our insurance rates. I am still waiting to see his college degree also. He was almost done with it two years ago.
Xsail

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Oct 15, 2013
So get off your backsides, grab your chainsaws, and get the "management" started instead of waiting on government....
NOT

Ruidoso, NM

#5 Oct 15, 2013
Xsail wrote:
So get off your backsides, grab your chainsaws, and get the "management" started instead of waiting on government....
Not waiting on government. My property is completely done. 30 feet around the entire perimeter of the house to mineral soil, trees at less than 20 BA, zero-scaped front yard and needles raked up, etc. The management is needed is on Village owned wildlands that I can do nothing about. This is how fire will sweep into town from the west and it needs to be burned now before it burns on its own. Do not believe me? Go look at a land ownership atlas of the county.
Tourist

Biloxi, MS

#6 Oct 15, 2013
Why not take these low level offenders around and do some clean up work?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: Global Greening Will Stave Off The Bad P... 35 min tina anne 2
News Italy earthquake: Amid the rubble, a couple say... 13 hr who do u call 1
News Why scientists reconstructed an ancient plague 13 hr who do u call 1
News 22 per cent of forests lost in 14 years 14 hr who do u call 1
News In drought, drones help California farmers save... 17 hr Welfare Farmers 1
News Collier residents tense over Zika spraying rules 23 hr oldmanlew 3
News Drones meet drought in skies of storied Califor... Tue Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web