1258 AD - the european summer that we...

1258 AD - the european summer that went AWOL...

There are 1 comment on the Your Democracy story from Oct 2, 2013, titled 1258 AD - the european summer that went AWOL.... In it, Your Democracy reports that:

Science and the study of the record gives us a great insight into the past... in 1258, some historical chronicles of Europe tell us that the summer was crap.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Your Democracy.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Oct 2, 2013
Impressive article; also a very nice pic.

The Gunung Barujari cone in Segara Anak appears to be rather good @ filling in the caldera, was probably active off & on in similar manner to Anak Krakatau since the eruption.

Expected volume DRE for the caldera is in the order of 120Km3 but in this & other articles seen so far, the ash type is not specified (this has a measurable effect in the amount of SO2 exsolved in the caldera forming eruption).

One other item of note has been the total lack of scientific research on the geochemistry & past eruption history of Lombok. In large part this appears to be a result of the trad "Thief" culture extant on the island which appears to have stymied science research & tourism since the days of the dutch colonials.{ie. any kit such as a camera can be found very quickly after going missing in town one day, by cruising the thief markets next day, but you need to get every single bit from all of the stalls at a price at least 10* the value of the camera (& for a little extra you may get back your now overexposed film)}.

Modern day kit with its tendency not to work @ all after being broken up has forced the trad thief market into the modern age & as a result some work can be done using clunky old kit best bought off the stall in neighbouring Bali before the field trip.

That said, a trip to Lombok is to this day best done by backpackers in "survival mode". It is best to be a tourist in neighbouring Bali, or for the more adventurous, Sumbawa.

have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Incredible' Manitoba tornado lasted up to thre... 2 hr hmmm 1
News 'I'm Canadian': Expat actor Donald Sutherland b... 2 hr Sad 1
News Russian Society Is Increasingly Paranoid 2 hr John 1
News Thousands of Invaders Are Walking into Europe, ... 14 hr Kosovo is Serbia 3
News Appalachia gripped by hepatitis C epidemic, bra... Tue Wow 50
News James Hansen Spells Out Climate Danger Of The '... Tue don t drink the k... 7
News Malaysian Students To Help Indonesia's Earthqua... (Sep '09) Tue Pecinta Perdamaian 487
More from around the web