The oxidation state of Hadean magmas ...

The oxidation state of Hadean magmas and implications for early Earth's atmosphere

There are 1 comment on the CiteULike story from Feb 17, 2013, titled The oxidation state of Hadean magmas and implications for early Earth's atmosphere. In it, CiteULike reports that:

Magmatic outgassing of volatiles from Earth s interior probably played a critical part in determining the composition of the earliest atmosphere, more than 4,000 million years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CiteULike.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Feb 18, 2013
Nice article.

This one rather scientifically heavy but not a great problem for the average geoscience graduate.

Results indicate that the Hadean atmosphere would have been CO2 rather than CH4 dominated. Of interest here is that it means that the Earth was a relatively dry rock with a fairly low carbon content.

For similar results look @ Mars which was relatively similar and has not been modified by anything other than reactions incorporating atmospheric gases back into the rock.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Whittier Fire: Friday, July 28 Update 1 hr None 1
News Mammoth Lakes area hit by swarm of hundreds of ... 2 hr old_moose 2
News #abq4ward: Amid growing crime epidemic, KOB new... 3 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 6
News Get ready for our next heat wave 6 hr America Gentleman... 3
News $45 Billion to Fight Opioid Abuse? That's Much ... 12 hr tomin cali 23
News Images show devastating aftermath of powerful e... 20 hr History 1
News Arcadia residents left with property damage aft... Fri Yehin Legorreta 1
More from around the web