Jellyfish wave shuts down Swedish nuke reactor

Oct 1, 2013 Full story: KBCI CBS 2 35

It wasn't a tsunami but it had the same effect: A wave of jellyfish was huge enough to force one of the world's largest nuclear reactors to shut down - a phenomenon that marine biologists say could become more common.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Charlie Tuna

Bohemia, NY

#1 Oct 1, 2013
Q: What fish makes the best sandwich?

A: A peanut butter and jellyfish.
Pull My Finger

Bohemia, NY

#2 Oct 1, 2013
I love Swedish Jellyfish. Especially the red ones.

“Seashells by the seashore”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#3 Oct 1, 2013
So I guess there will be more blackkouts to look forward to ; )
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#4 Oct 1, 2013
This is gonna make a great movie ...Revenge of the Jellyfish...Jaws will look like just small fish.......

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Oct 1, 2013
They always do that during timeouts and lulls in the game when they get bored.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#6 Oct 2, 2013
Not to be a dead beat on off beat. But! I do it so well at times.

Here is food for thought. Right before the huge earthquake that hit Japan this too was happening with Jellyfish.

Heads up! folk.
jerry

Cloverdale, IN

#7 Oct 2, 2013
they are telling us its time to stop
BDV

Decatur, GA

#8 Oct 2, 2013
jerry wrote:
they are telling us its time to stop
Nonsense?
BDV

Decatur, GA

#9 Oct 2, 2013
DC tells it like it is wrote:
Right before the huge earthquake that hit Japan this too was happening with Jellyfish.
And what was happening right before that huge oil explosion in Lac-Megantic?
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#10 Oct 2, 2013
BDV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jellyfish?

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#11 Oct 2, 2013
Seen an Aurelia swarm in Aberystwyth. The water ended up gloopy, they were munching a swarm of little green blobs looking like volvox algae.

They were a mite thick in the water & made a bit of a mess while swimming in it (no stings). Was also accompanied by a few little stingy ones with tentacles.

That swarm lasted 2 weeks & effectively cleared the beach of swimmers.

Have a nice day: Ag

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Orion's Belt

#12 Oct 2, 2013
BDV wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a few answers for you. But now..am to angry to goof off. So will answer you this.

What does a train have to do with an earthquake?

Your answer is, irresponsibility blew up that train.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Orion's Belt

#13 Oct 2, 2013
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Jellyfish?
You're so dam'n cute when you are thinking.
beatlesinthebog

Auckland, New Zealand

#14 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>
You're so dam'n cute when you are thinking.
If only you knew..........

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Orion's Belt

#15 Oct 2, 2013
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>If only you knew..........
~purrs~
BDV

Atlanta, GA

#16 Oct 3, 2013
DC sugar,

If environazis do not hurl insults at me, I'm doing it wrong.
Still, don't get the point of your jellyfish scaremongering. BTW, the next tsunami to hit Sweden will also be the first to do such in recorded history.
But scaremonger away.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Orion's Belt

#17 Oct 3, 2013
BDV wrote:
DC sugar,
Still, don't get the point of your jellyfish scaremongering. BTW, the next tsunami to hit Sweden will also be the first to do such in recorded history.
But scaremonger away.
I was not 'scaremongering'...I was making an observation. Once I stated that, I checked out the the recent and past earthquakes in the area. Worst damage that would happen would be a 4.5 or less. Really hasn't been a big quake in that area.

Sorry, I've been studying earthquakes for a handful of decades. Mayhaps was just a blind call on my behalf. What would I know..right?

By the way, I really love being called sugar. Makes me feel kind of sweet!

You have a good day.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Orion's Belt

#18 Oct 3, 2013
BDV wrote:
DC sugar,
But scaremonger away.
Here you go, buttercup, did some looking around for you. As none of this is my personal knowledge. I believe the stuff is called ...science:
http://www.ibtimes.com/jellyfish-invade-four-...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/83...
dad of 3

Portland, OR

#19 Oct 3, 2013
beatlesinthebog wrote:
This is gonna make a great movie ...Revenge of the Jellyfish...Jaws will look like just small fish.......
Yes, instead of shark week... jellyfish week! And then, jellyfish-nado [the movie]
Dan

Upton, NY

#20 Oct 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Here you go, buttercup, did some looking around for you. As none of this is my personal knowledge. I believe the stuff is called ...science:
http://www.ibtimes.com/jellyfish-invade-four-...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/83...
The problem I have with this piece is that they are trying to link jellyfish which caused a shutdown of the plant to Fukushima. It seems very deliberate and the purpose is scare people. Lets take a comparative look.
Fukushima- magnitude 9.0 earthquake of the coast Reactors scram as designed to do power plants begin shutdown process. The earthquake causes a massive earth slide in the sea which results in the resulting 45 foot Tsunami that inundates the entire eastern coast of japan. The Tsunami wall at Fukushima Diachi is breached and it destroys the diesel generators and the plants AC power sources. Eventually the batteries used to keep the stem line open to circulate Torus cooling water dies and the result is a meltdown.
Sweden- Jellyfish clog the intakes reducing flow for secondary cooling causing the reactor to scram (it is worth noting in the article they called it "scramble" not even willing to determine if the correct terminology is used) the staff shut the reactor down and clear the intakes and prepare the reactor for start up. No damage no anything and before the naysayers say it could stop because it couldn't. This same phenomenon (jellyfish) causes shutdowns of all sorts of power plants (coal, oil, gas) which are located near large bodies of water for cooling purposes and we never hear about them shutting down for this reason, why not?
By the way the other two nuclear units at this site continued operation during the jellyfish invasion as there combined thermal output is less than unit 3 alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tropical storm warning issued for North Carolina 41 min MsClaus 4
Russian ruble extends losses 1 hr Leonid-Rostow 74
The Fed's next land fight: New Mexico ranchers ... (May '14) 2 hr Proud American 39
On shaky ground 6 hr Ken 1
A day in photos 6 hr Ken 1
Geologist Speculates on Disappearance of Sanxin... 6 hr Ken 1
Alert! ECG cuts power to seismic station for no... 6 hr Krazy 1
More from around the web