What if a Meteorite Struck the United States?

Feb 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Clarksville Online

What if it were the size of the meteorite that struck off the coast of Virginia during the age when modern mammals began to appear? About 35 million years ago, an enormous meteorite, a mile or two in diameter and traveling up to 134,000 miles per hour slammed into the shallow Atlantic Ocean where eastern Virginia is today.

Comments
1 - 1 of 1 Comments Last updated Feb 18, 2013

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

#1 Feb 18, 2013
One bit of importance here is that it is practically coincident in timing with the Popigai crater about 100Km diameter in Siberia.

In probably BOTH cases there was a mass extinction of large mammals. In Both cases however very little has been published on the effects of the mass extinctions.

With Chesapeake in particular, the local effect on the then isolated N. American continent should have been impressive. being a smaller crater it is likely that mammals of sheep size or smaller would have survived.
The cause of the extinctions in general would be a significant time of darkness or near total obscurity by dust in orbit & in the upper atmosphere lasting several months. As the climate mode @ the time was mode#3 an impact induced cooling would have not have been very significant as the ocean would have buffered the temperatures & simultaneously raining like hell.
Recovery of vegetation would have been of the shade resistent variety flourishing first. Semi desert sun worshipping plant species may also have gone extinct @ that time as excessive rainfall & dense shade would have rotted the adults and seedlings adapted to germinate after a flood, as happened to the Cycadeoids during the Chixculub impact.

The Popigai impact (bigger) would have been rather more significant in terms of mass extinctions of the herbivore based food chain.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boy hurt in magnitude-6.0 Napa earthquake: a I ... 12 hr Natural 3
Napa quake seen as 'reality check' to Bay Area ... 12 hr Natural Disasters... 1
Park officials discover fire on Lake Superior's... 12 hr Natural 1
Apostle Islands fire burns for weeks; rangers l... 12 hr Natural 1
Park officials allow Apostle Islands fire to burn 13 hr Natural Disasters... 1
Marie and Cristobal: Two Storms and Lots of Que... 13 hr Natural Disasters... 1
Testimony wraps up in former Va. governor trial 13 hr Natural Disasters 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••