Lending a hand to help Samaritan's Purse

Lending a hand to help Samaritan's Purse

There are 101 comments on the South Shore Record story from Nov 16, 2012, titled Lending a hand to help Samaritan's Purse. In it, South Shore Record reports that:

As I helped my aunt and uncle sift through what remained of their one-story home in Oceanside the day after Hurricane Sandy flooded nearly all of their belongings, I knew there were thousands of others doing exactly the same.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Shore Record.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#61 Jan 31, 2013
How "stupid" is saying a "single book" and using it to reference religion? Got any idea how many books reference religion? How many religions are there and how many have books written? Yeah, how stupid. BTW:Today, the library holds some 75,000 manuscripts and over 1.1 million printed books, which include some 8,500 incunabula. The Vatican Secret Archives were separated from the library at the beginning of the 17th century; they contain another 150,000 items.

Among the most famous holdings of the library is the Codex Vaticanus Graecus 1209, the oldest known nearly complete manuscript of the Bible. The Secret History of Procopius was discovered in the library and published in 1623.

The Vatican Library is a research library for history, law, philosophy, science and theology, open to anyone who can document their qualifications and research needs. Photocopies for private study of pages from books published between 1801 and 1990 can be requested in person or by mail..wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatic an_Library
really

Stanfield, NC

#62 Jan 31, 2013
emlu wrote:
How "stupid" is saying a "single book" and using it to reference religion? Got any idea how many books reference religion? How many religions are there and how many have books written? Yeah, how stupid. BTW:Today, the library holds some 75,000 manuscripts and over 1.1 million printed books, which include some 8,500 incunabula. The Vatican Secret Archives were separated from the library at the beginning of the 17th century; they contain another 150,000 items.

Among the most famous holdings of the library is the Codex Vaticanus Graecus 1209, the oldest known nearly complete manuscript of the Bible. The Secret History of Procopius was discovered in the library and published in 1623.

The Vatican Library is a research library for history, law, philosophy, science and theology, open to anyone who can document their qualifications and research needs. Photocopies for private study of pages from books published between 1801 and 1990 can be requested in person or by mail..wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatic an_Library
I know as well as you do, when he said one book it was reference to the bible which is the reference for all the additional books and manuscripts you mentioned or is it you are telling me the bible is not the sole source of guidance for Christians now?? Amazingly more shocking is seeing a Franklin follower referencing the Vatican as a source.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#63 Jan 31, 2013
First, I DON'T know, the poster meant the Bible, as the post just said "religion". Second, I'm not a "Franklin" follower, just of the Christian faith/belief. Why is it such a shock to see anyone referencing one of the largest religious libraries in the world? Third, did you read the last paragraph, "a research library"?
really

Stanfield, NC

#64 Jan 31, 2013
emlu wrote:
First, I DON'T know, the poster meant the Bible, as the post just said "religion". Second, I'm not a "Franklin" follower, just of the Christian faith/belief. Why is it such a shock to see anyone referencing one of the largest religious libraries in the world? Third, did you read the last paragraph, "a research library"?
Whatever.
Amazed

Carolina Beach, NC

#65 Jan 31, 2013
Here's a little clarification. When I said Book, I meant the Bible. I guess you have to be completely clueless to miss that. And Really nailed it. All of that other crap that you cited is based on that "one book". And I should have been more specific. about the particular religion. Christianity. Now that I have been crystal clear, what do you say?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#66 Jan 31, 2013
Amazed wrote:
Here's a little clarification. When I said Book, I meant the Bible. I guess you have to be completely clueless to miss that. And Really nailed it. All of that other crap that you cited is based on that "one book". And I should have been more specific. about the particular religion. Christianity. Now that I have been crystal clear, what do you say?
Theology. Hence the statement I said, "faith/BELIEF". Look, it's an individual thing, believe if you wish, volunteer if you wish, contribute if you wish, who cares? I don't ridicule anyone on what they believe or not believe. It seems to bother you what other people do with their time, money and mind. Are you against all religion or just Christians?
really

Stanfield, NC

#67 Jan 31, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Theology. Hence the statement I said, "faith/BELIEF". Look, it's an individual thing, believe if you wish, volunteer if you wish, contribute if you wish, who cares? I don't ridicule anyone on what they believe or not believe. It seems to bother you what other people do with their time, money and mind. Are you against all religion or just Christians?
I will answer that question. I am not for organized religion as it has became just another big business. Pastors earning wages of Wall St CEO's while half their flock struggle to keep the power on. Secondly, the church has became so judgmental with anyone that disagrees with the belief, you for instance, Third, churches have basically became "social clubs" as many many I know fail to practice what they preach, yet wish to judge others and lastly now that the churches feel they control people , they are attempting to control politics and force their beliefs on everyone . And this is just my starting point as to why organized religion has seen it's sharpest decline in decades .
Amazed

Carolina Beach, NC

#68 Jan 31, 2013
I'm against any form of religion that tries to tell me how I live my life. I hate walking into Wal-mart and getting harassed by these fools who think they have to get as many people to join their cult as possible. Yeah, these Jesus freaks go into other countries, and sometimes local towns, to help out, but then their hidden agenda comes out. Sometimes, it's a little pocket Bible, and others, it's having to listen to some brainwashed freak blab on about how you can be saved if you accept Jesus Christo as your lord and savior. I have a huge problem with Christianity, because it's the prominent religion in these parts. But, I have a problem with anybody who thinks they are better than someone else because they believe, from Muslims to Jews. I guess my new found hatred of religion sprouted from the recent Amendment forbidding gay marriage in the state. Yeah, if you want to discuss that, we can, but it won't be pretty for you.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#69 Jan 31, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer that question. I am not for organized religion as it has became just another big business. Pastors earning wages of Wall St CEO's while half their flock struggle to keep the power on. Secondly, the church has became so judgmental with anyone that disagrees with the belief, you for instance, Third, churches have basically became "social clubs" as many many I know fail to practice what they preach, yet wish to judge others and lastly now that the churches feel they control people , they are attempting to control politics and force their beliefs on everyone . And this is just my starting point as to why organized religion has seen it's sharpest decline in decades .
Pastors would not earn "wages" if the "flock" didn't donate, free will, correct. I do not care what anyone believes, as stated. Living the military life, I have lived several places with several religions, live and let live. A church is it's flock. If the flock is social then....? The point is to practice the teachings. "Everyone" is free to reject what anyone wishes.
Thumper

West Jefferson, NC

#70 Jan 31, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Who are the converts and how do they increase the "coffers"? Explain that process EXACTLY. I have volunteered and I can not "attest" to you statement. So, do not speak for me.
Let drop the scales so thine eyes can see....this is a tax shelter...this "non-profit" takes these trinkets, "pays" for shipping (begs for low cost trafficking), shows the Feds a bill for 2 - 3 times the actual cost...and writes off that amount on their taxes...therefore, the coffers increase...moron...and no, I do not speak for zealots or fools...
Thumper

West Jefferson, NC

#71 Jan 31, 2013
emlu wrote:
First, I DON'T know, the poster meant the Bible, as the post just said "religion". Second, I'm not a "Franklin" follower, just of the Christian faith/belief. Why is it such a shock to see anyone referencing one of the largest religious libraries in the world? Third, did you read the last paragraph, "a research library"?
You mean the one shaped like a barn with the talking cow in Montreat?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#72 Jan 31, 2013
Thumper wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the one shaped like a barn with the talking cow in Montreat?
Don't know, never been there, sounds like you have.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#73 Jan 31, 2013
Thumper wrote:
<quoted text>
Let drop the scales so thine eyes can see....this is a tax shelter...this "non-profit" takes these trinkets, "pays" for shipping (begs for low cost trafficking), shows the Feds a bill for 2 - 3 times the actual cost...and writes off that amount on their taxes...therefore, the coffers increase...moron...and no, I do not speak for zealots or fools...
YAWN
Amazed

Carolina Beach, NC

#74 Jan 31, 2013
Since when do churches need multi million dollar buildings for their flock? Why do churches need acres upon acres of land? And since when can a condemned single wide trailer be classified as a church? It's all about money and fear. Keep them in fear so they keep giving you their money. The flock of sheeple will continue to follow.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#75 Jan 31, 2013
It really bother's some people, what other people, do with their resources. Honestly, that one I can not figure out. As long as the "sheeple" want to follow, why worry? Amazing.
Amazed

Carolina Beach, NC

#76 Jan 31, 2013
Why worry? Because the number of sheeple greatly affects the lives of the normal people in this country.
really

Stanfield, NC

#77 Jan 31, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Pastors would not earn "wages" if the "flock" didn't donate, free will, correct. I do not care what anyone believes, as stated. Living the military life, I have lived several places with several religions, live and let live. A church is it's flock. If the flock is social then....? The point is to practice the teachings. "Everyone" is free to reject what anyone wishes.
I don't think "donate" is used in it's literal sense when it comes to religion. Yes it does mean giving of freewill, however, religions preach often on tithing and if you don't give your first 10% to the church, then you will go to he\\ as a sinner, I don't really think that is freewill. If I personally tell someone they must give me 10% or they are going to he// it's called extortion. Plus the churches 10% is tax free, mine is taxed at about 45%, maybe I need to change professions :)
really

Stanfield, NC

#78 Jan 31, 2013
Amazed wrote:
Since when do churches need multi million dollar buildings for their flock? Why do churches need acres upon acres of land? And since when can a condemned single wide trailer be classified as a church? It's all about money and fear. Keep them in fear so they keep giving you their money. The flock of sheeple will continue to follow.
Amen,, tax free at that.. However, I foresee churches losing that tax free status as they push deeper into the political arena,
mike

Sugar Grove, NC

#79 Jan 31, 2013
I can only hope and pray that when those greedy, crooked bastards at the purse's time comes that they burn in hell

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#80 Jan 31, 2013
:):):) Again, people don't have to give. Amazing, simply amazing. People can take responsibility for their beliefs, finances and taxes. "Normal" that's the best one yet. Cracking me up. Maybe that flood last night was a warning. Just KIDDING, the timing was there you know. You guys keep getting grey hair worrying other peoples religion and take care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Obama pledges federal support in fl... 2 hr WasteWater 10
News Beyonc and Kendrick's BET Awards Smash 3 hr Oh No You Di-nt 2
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... 8 hr IB DaMann 110
News Rainelle natives and mayor uncertain of what's ... 18 hr Dennis Neathawk 1
News At gay pride parades, large crowds and increase... 21 hr OUCH 4
News At Least 26 Dead in West Virginia Flooding Sun ELISE GINGERICH 1
News Crews rescue the stranded in West Virginia floo... Sat Sharon Wilkerson ... 1
More from around the web