Is Global Warming to Blame for the Killer Earthquake in the Philippines?

Oct 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: SooToday

Global warming is causing earthquakes and giant landslides, according to some scientists, one of which is going so far as to call the coming wrath an age of havoc.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of43
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

At worst, AGW will only be a 'contributing factor'. Perhaps in increasing stress and thus the rate of slip.
Gore Blimey

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

anyone who thinks a slightly higher average temperature for the atmosphere can have the slightest effect on earthquakes is an ignorant and stupid , gullible CRETIN.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

See a denier position is untenable.. all planetary activities or events are vulnerable to man-made forces..
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Gore Blimey wrote:
anyone who thinks a slightly higher average temperature for the atmosphere can have the slightest effect on earthquakes is an ignorant and stupid , gullible CRETIN.
YEs, you are the ONE.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

gored blimp wrote:
Warm seas & oceans are putting more water vapor into the atmosphere due to AGW. Gathered into huge hurricane & cyclone systems, it is easy to put 12 inches of rainfall onto a 30 mile by 30 mile slip fault area. That weight of water is 800 million tons....... slip.......... EARTHQUAKE!
Gore Blimey

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Warm seas & oceans are putting more water vapor into the atmosphere due to AGW. Gathered into huge hurricane & cyclone systems, it is easy to put 12 inches of rainfall onto a 30 mile by 30 mile slip fault area. That weight of water is 800 million tons....... slip.......... EARTHQUAKE!
bollocks.
spider

Brandon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Gore Blimey wrote:
<quoted text>bollocks.
The earths crust varies in thickness around its surface, add to this the fact that it is segmented, defined and moveable joints,, then I think it quite possible that movement of great weight from one point to another may cause a reaction.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Gore Blimey wrote:
<quoted text>bollocks.
Intelligent response.

Well done.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Aah, global warming alarmists at it again.

The moon is getting further and further from the Earth every year. This is due to the planet heating up and the heat waves caused by this effect pushing the moon away.

Bring on the next ice age, it's due within the next couple of millenia.
Mr Giblets

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

spider wrote:
<quoted text>
The earths crust varies in thickness around its surface, add to this the fact that it is segmented, defined and moveable joints,, then I think it quite possible that movement of great weight from one point to another may cause a reaction.
and you people jump to blaming this on humans! that is a very long leap of logic. By driving cars, we cause earthquakes. I wish we had a Putin here to deal with greenpeace warmies and nutters.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Mr Giblets wrote:
<quoted text>and you people jump to blaming this on humans! that is a very long leap of logic. By driving cars, we cause earthquakes. I wish we had a Putin here to deal with greenpeace warmies and nutters.
Alternatively, you could go and live in Russia.
spider

Brandon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Mr Giblets wrote:
<quoted text>and you people jump to blaming this on humans! that is a very long leap of logic. By driving cars, we cause earthquakes. I wish we had a Putin here to deal with greenpeace warmies and nutters.
Not sure what you mean by " you people".

The temperature of this planet has fluctuated since it came into existence,,, certainly far longer than man has been on the scene.

At the risk of being accused of being a tree hugger, there is plenty of evidence to support the fact that stripping rain forests has several detrimental side effects.
Gore Blimey

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

as you say, temperatures have changed up and down for billions of years. To suddenly claim , like Gore, that WE cause it, is not just stupid but the height of arrogance.I expect the warmies think George Bush ended the last Ice Age. The North especially would improve greatly with a small warming. Cold is the far worse enemy.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Gore Blimey wrote:
.. The North especially would improve greatly with a small warming. Cold is the far worse enemy.
That was your destiny, duh.

Global warming means warming globally, including the tropics, huh. And .. floods etc where you live, duh...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Gore Blimey wrote:
as you say, temperatures have changed up and down for billions of years.
and always with a reason we can understand.
Gore Blimey wrote:
To suddenly claim , like Gore,
Gore was just repeating the science.
Gore Blimey wrote:
To suddenly claim that WE cause it, is not just stupid but the height of arrogance.
To claim that 6 BILLION humans will have NO effect on the planet is THE height of stupidity. That is a sort of 'reverse humility' that belongs to children trying to escape responsibility for their actions. NOR was it 'suddenly'. That is infantile denial of the great amount of research that went into finding out why.
Gore Blimey wrote:
I expect the warmies think George Bush ended the last Ice Age.
Where did THAT piece of shit come from????
Gore Blimey wrote:
The North especially would improve greatly with a small warming. Cold is the far worse enemy.
Buloney. We can adapt to arctic conditions (see the arctic if you don't believe me), and live in -80C (see Vostok) but OVER 35C we cannot sweat enough to keep from overheating and need A/C to survive. HOT temperatures are more dangerous than cold and harder to live with. Even plants find really HOT conditions hard to take, and then there are evaporation rates which go up and dry out the land (leading to deserts) eliminating agriculture unless heavily irrigated (which is also energy intensive as we need to desalinate to get enough water).

Have a look at your 'paradise of the future'...
http://tinyurl.com/yaczh53
Gore Blimey

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
and always with a reason we can understand.
<quoted text>
Gore was just repeating the science.
<quoted text>
To claim that 6 BILLION humans will have NO effect on the planet is THE height of stupidity. That is a sort of 'reverse humility' that belongs to children trying to escape responsibility for their actions. NOR was it 'suddenly'. That is infantile denial of the great amount of research that went into finding out why.
<quoted text>
Where did THAT piece of shit come from????
<quoted text>
Buloney. We can adapt to arctic conditions (see the arctic if you don't believe me), and live in -80C (see Vostok) but OVER 35C we cannot sweat enough to keep from overheating and need A/C to survive. HOT temperatures are more dangerous than cold and harder to live with. Even plants find really HOT conditions hard to take, and then there are evaporation rates which go up and dry out the land (leading to deserts) eliminating agriculture unless heavily irrigated (which is also energy intensive as we need to desalinate to get enough water).
Have a look at your 'paradise of the future'...
http://tinyurl.com/yaczh53
of course, it probably isn't getting hotter anyway. It hasn't for a few years now, and all your or gore's figures are based on taking the COLDEST year you could find in the 19th century and fixing that as your start date. why isn't England now as hot as Southern Spain? Gore said it would be by ------- 2010! is Florida onder 1 m of water? you people said it would be by, er , 1999. The figures and predictions from the University of Essex were shown to be faked, fixed and bogus. why wasn't the Arctic ice free this summer? it's supposed to be, ask Gore.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure what you mean by " you people".
Used by reactionary old farts to address blacks, liberals or intellectuals- basically anybody darker than his pasty whiteness, a tad more compassionate than his mean spirit, or thinking beyond his own simplistic worldview.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Gore Blimey wrote:
<quoted text>of course, it probably isn't getting hotter anyway.
You'll forgive me if I take the science over your opinion.
Gore Blimey wrote:
It hasn't for a few years now..
You are either confused or ignorant. I suspect that you are confusing the 'meterology' record (air temperature) for the SURFACE temperature. AGW is about the surface temperature which will be reflected in the air temperature but with 'noise' from climate processes that make 15 years of 'lower than average warming' insignificant to the 'big picture'.
Gore Blimey wrote:
all your or gore's figures are based on taking the COLDEST year you could find in the 19th century and fixing that as your start date.
The 'start date' was fixed by the industrial revolution. There is no purpose in talking about dates before the large scale pollution of the atmosphere with fossil fuel exhaust.
Gore Blimey wrote:
why isn't England now as hot as Southern Spain?
Good question but somewhat irrelevant. First, nothing says that temperature increase will be uniform in every region any more than they were uniform before AGW. Western Europe is already warmer than it 'should be'.
Gore Blimey wrote:
Gore said it would be by ------- 2010!
The science is the issue. IF Al Gore said this, I cannot see why. No science made this 'prophecy' that I know of.
Gore Blimey wrote:
is Florida onder 1 m of water?
Not yet.. will it be? Most likely.
Gore Blimey wrote:
you people said it would be by, er , 1999.
I do not believe that any scientist made that claim. You are either blowing it out your ass or making up red herrings.
Gore Blimey wrote:
The figures and predictions from the University of Essex were shown to be faked, fixed and bogus.
I'll go with blowing it out your ass since you have given me some evidence for that..
Gore Blimey wrote:
why wasn't the Arctic ice free this summer? it's supposed to be, ask Gore.
Al Gore made no such 'prediction'. And the arctic will be ice free soon. However, it may not be ice free EVERY year. Variability from year to year are part and parcel of any discussion. And, as you can see from http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/08/09/2917... the earliest 'projected' ice free year would be about 2015. Even then it would be only in the peak ice free month of September and that is only the 'average'. It could have been ice free this year, or next, or not until 2017. You have to take the year to year variability into account when making projections.

All, in all, a VERY stupid post. You should be ashamed.
Mr Giblets

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>That was your destiny, duh.
Global warming means warming globally, including the tropics, huh. And .. floods etc where you live, duh...
so why isn't it warming globally?
Mr Giblets

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Used by reactionary old farts to address blacks, liberals or intellectuals- basically anybody darker than his pasty whiteness, a tad more compassionate than his mean spirit, or thinking beyond his own simplistic worldview.
is that a fact, that people with dark skin are more liberal in politics? or more compassionate? and why is disagreeing with the opinions of fat Al is "mean spirited"?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of43
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••