Australia's volcanic time bomb

Australia's volcanic time bomb

There are 5 comments on the NEWS.com.au story from Dec 12, 2013, titled Australia's volcanic time bomb. In it, NEWS.com.au reports that:

AMERICA has the volcano that could destroy the world - but Australia has its own volcanic chain that could rival the Icelandic eruption of 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NEWS.com.au.

big aussie

South Yarra, Australia

#1 Dec 12, 2013
Garbage, typical red neck Murdoch shite. The Australian continent sits near the middle of a tectonic plate, there's little opportunity for volcanic action. Typical crap from the worst journo's ever.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#2 Dec 13, 2013
big aussie wrote:
Garbage, typical red neck Murdoch shite. The Australian continent sits near the middle of a tectonic plate, there's little opportunity for volcanic action. Typical crap from the worst journo's ever.
What are you getting your knickers in a twist about? You would be up-wind of it anyway.:)

In geological terms Mount Gambier's last eruption was very recent. Forget about the 'middle of a tectonic plate' nonsense. Evidently Mount Gambier didn't get the memo.

Next you'll be telling us you're a world authority on whether a volcano is dead or dormant.
Jim

Adelaide, Australia

#4 Dec 13, 2013
Mt. Gambier sitting on a dormant volcano has been known in the scientific community for a very long time. It just isn't a widely known fact. I first heard of this 15-20 years ago. Mt. Gambier is a fascinating place if you like geology. But I would be very surprised if it erupted in our life time.

Australia

#5 Dec 13, 2013
Monitoring = timely evacuation = survival. Mount St Helens comes to mind.

Besides, a lot of journalists are knocking off for Christmas. The media need some pulp articles to fill a few gaps.:)

Australia

#6 Dec 13, 2013
Jim wrote:
Mt. Gambier sitting on a dormant volcano has been known in the scientific community for a very long time. It just isn't a widely known fact. I first heard of this 15-20 years ago. Mt. Gambier is a fascinating place if you like geology. But I would be very surprised if it erupted in our life time.
I lived there for a number of years. You're right about the geological attractions. I didn't notice the locals getting uptight about the volcano looming over them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hopkinsville considers eminent domain in acquir... Aug 18 fo real deal 9
News New dams coming to California? A dozen projects... Aug 16 Solarman 1
News Despite Reduction in Oil, Gas Wastewater Inject... Aug 16 soldierows 1
News EPA overrules GE on Housatonic PCBs cleanup (Oct '16) Aug 15 KABBALAH Occult 11
News Hurricane Andrew: A look back Aug 14 Razor Bronco 1
News Recycled wastewater to give Los Angeles County ... (Nov '15) Aug 14 Solarman 13
News Trump plans 'major briefing' on opioid epidemic Aug 10 Putins Glock Holster 35
More from around the web