San Jose warns residents about illega...

San Jose warns residents about illegal fireworks

There are 16 comments on the ABC7 KGO story from Jul 4, 2012, titled San Jose warns residents about illegal fireworks. In it, ABC7 KGO reports that:

San Jose police and fire departments are warning residents to not use illegal fireworks on the 4th of July.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC7 KGO.

Myron S

San Jose, CA

#1 Jul 4, 2012
Why does the city of San Jose bother with its' ban on fireworks? It is not enforced, people show a complete disregard for this ordinance,it is a joke. The south San Jose area sounded like a mini war zone. This was not small firecrackers and such items. The Explosion db levels suggested 1/8 to 1/4 size of dynamite. Make it legal, sell it and put the money in the city coffers OR enforce the law. If a person can be arrested for the discharge of a BB gun, why does the blatant explosive device go unnoticed.
Steve S

United States

#2 Jul 5, 2012
They need make a better effort to arrest and prosecute these people. I think the vast majority of folks are offended by the blatant disregard. They should be arrested and THEN the media needs to make a show of it to drive home the consequences to the others. I look each year after the 4th and seldom see any stories of folks being arrested for doing this. If folks continue thinking they can get away with it then they will.
Diane

Cupertino, CA

#3 Jul 5, 2012
I called the San Jose police the night of July 3rd about my neighbors who started at 10:00 on the 3rd with illegal fireworks and I asked them if they could please drive over and talk to them and also if they could drive by night of the 4th as my neighbors ALWAYS have fireworks that flare up on my tree and sound like bombs going off and my whole house shakes. My animals were shaking and they go on for 3 hours. The San Jose police dept basically told me Good luck getting anyone out there as they are flooded with calls and never have time to answer all of them.
So, I had to listen and guard my house once again this year to make sure it did not catch on fire and got no sleep.
So when they say call the police to report illegal fireworks, it's a joke!
kurt

San Jose, CA

#4 Jul 6, 2012
Diane & Steve, let people have their fun. My animals where a bit scared as well. One should never take away from one others quest for happiness as you would not want another taking from your happiness. Think about that and ENJOY LIFE!
Love and Kindness
KURT
San jose

San Jose, CA

#5 Jul 14, 2012
Fourth of July is a celebration of freedom why should they be prosecuted that would be taking away their freedom
Joe

Los Gatos, CA

#6 Dec 27, 2012
Diane wrote:
I called the San Jose police the night of July 3rd about my neighbors who started at 10:00 on the 3rd with illegal fireworks and I asked them if they could please drive over and talk to them and also if they could drive by night of the 4th as my neighbors ALWAYS have fireworks that flare up on my tree and sound like bombs going off and my whole house shakes. My animals were shaking and they go on for 3 hours. The San Jose police dept basically told me Good luck getting anyone out there as they are flooded with calls and never have time to answer all of them.
So, I had to listen and guard my house once again this year to make sure it did not catch on fire and got no sleep.
So when they say call the police to report illegal fireworks, it's a joke!
STFU Diane let people have fun and live life. Don't ruin it.
jim

Mountain View, CA

#7 Jun 27, 2013
The sense of community has also suffered since this ban went into effect. I can remember the street being a big party on the 4th when I was a kid. Now you are lucky to find that feeling in the few places where trick or treating feels safe or the few streets that organize large lights displays at Christmas.

From the sound of my neighborhood most of us disagree with the ordinance now. California has always limited us to safe and sane fireworks. These are hardly a danger considering 9 feet is about the max discharge of a fountain. Things like firecrackers, bottlerockets, and the large mortar rounds that I can tell are being used by folks are already illegal at the state level.

If you go to someplace like Washington you will quickly see the fireworks you are complaining about are nothing. There every other house has a mortar blasting near display quality fireworks high into the air. Anything the San Jose City ordinance bans is absolutely nothing in comparison. That said I think the most dangerous firework may actually be legal here, black snakes. You always burn yourself on those
BHH

San Jose, CA

#8 Jul 4, 2013
Joe, you STFU yourself. If you want to burn your fireworks, go to some designated areas outside of the residential areas. I live in that area and I am concerned about my house and my safety too. If you don't want people to ruin your fun, first learn not to put people's lives in harm and in unhappiness.
bearrrr

San Jose, CA

#9 Jul 4, 2015
This is ridiculous I live in South San Jose and I'm not going to have my house burned down just because Of this I called the non emergency number 12 13 times and the line is busy you can't dial 911 what the hell are we supposed to do!!!
bearrr

San Jose, CA

#10 Jul 4, 2015
My dog is going crazy from the fireworks these people are not setting off little fireworks these are huge fireworks I'm talking m80s whatever the hell they are this is ridiculous SJPD needs to get down here pronto but you can't call the non emergency number because supposedly it's busy this sucks!!!!!! Have fun go to a fireworks show don't set someones house on fire don't accidentally blow your hands off 4th of July is about having fun not getting harmed or harming someone else in the process!!!
Kris

San Jose, CA

#11 Jul 4, 2015
bearrrr wrote:
This is ridiculous I live in South San Jose and I'm not going to have my house burned down just because Of this I called the non emergency number 12 13 times and the line is busy you can't dial 911 what the hell are we supposed to do!!!
This is nuts so crazy outside my front door and have trees every where
Kris

San Jose, CA

#12 Jul 4, 2015
It is very bad off of snell ave and Chenoweth ave if my tree catches fire j will be mad cause sjpd won't do anything can't even get threw if our truck is messed up also I will be mad
GFYS

San Jose, CA

#13 Jul 7, 2015
Joe wrote:
<quoted text> STFU Diane let people have fun and live life. Don't ruin it.
Hope your effing house burns down from fireworks set off by yourself or your equally retarded neighbors.
GFYS

San Jose, CA

#14 Jul 7, 2015
kurt wrote:
Diane & Steve, let people have their fun. My animals where a bit scared as well. One should never take away from one others quest for happiness as you would not want another taking from your happiness. Think about that and ENJOY LIFE!
Love and Kindness
KURT
Wow you're silly. Why don't you get the people who set off fireworks to do some thinking on the unhappiness they're causing others by creating fire and noise hazards so close to their homes? Are you saying you're willing to risk the lives and properties of others just so that you can have some cheap thrill? People like you are the bane of society. I hope I never get a neighbor as inconsiderate and simple-minded as you!
Den

San Jose, CA

#15 Oct 24, 2015
Kris wrote:
It is very bad off of snell ave and Chenoweth ave if my tree catches fire j will be mad cause sjpd won't do anything can't even get threw if our truck is messed up also I will be mad
Just now one after another huge explosions shook my windows in this area. Small firecrakers and such still can be heard as of now while type. Today 10/24/9:50pm
Boomer Bob

Modesto, CA

#18 Oct 18, 2016
Weenies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Disasters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Our View: We must embrace climate change and ad... (Aug '12) 10 hr Acolyte 2
News "It hurts so bad losing our best friends this w... 12 hr nonewsisgood 1
News Our Opinion: The ongoing battle against opioid ... 22 hr Cops are Degenerates 7
News African countries on brink of famine as Donald ... Mar 28 Dee Dee Dee 2
News It's been banned in many of the world's major c... Mar 27 VACCINES AUTISM 1
News Three drunk men opened a reservoir valve in Vie... Mar 25 visitor 7
News Southern Manitoba flood risk down slightly, but... Mar 25 Warkentin Willie 2
More from around the web