The big stories are not the important stories

My heart is feeling heavy about how hollow the human soul has become. While ears hang on every word uttered by shallow celebrities, a murder epidemic is splattering blood across our land. Full Story

“BEAT A PAIR OF JACK'S & A FOX ”

Since: Feb 07

ASHEVILLE

#1 Jul 7, 2007
WHAT'S YOUR POINT???????
Dionysis

Winterhaven, CA

#2 Jul 7, 2007
The point about people allowing themselves to be constantly diverted by 'celebrity' bilge and other fluff at the expense of serious and important matters is certainly correct, as most have recognized for years now. No news here.
What is missing from the letter is just what the writer would have people do in response to such crimes.'Waking up' to that news is one thing, but it would be helpful if the writer could offer what he thinks is the solution, beyond the normal efforts of law enforcement and society in preventing such crimes. And it is noteworthy that the daily killing and destruction in Iraq is not mentioned. The scale of this carnage makes domestic violence pale in comparison. And in this arena, something CAN be done about it, as the vast majority of Americans understand. Which is, of course, to get out of there.
Kerry Daniel

Asheville, NC

#3 Jul 7, 2007
CJOHNNY, the point is that so many people WASTE precious time...and lots of it... reading about, talking about and soaking up celebrity gossip. And when these other stories about people killing their families come to media light, it's usually in a sensationalistic way. It seems to me that people in our culture will do anything to avoid PAYING ATTENTION to serious issues and working together as a society to understand and repair the damage. We numb out in many ways, and this is one of them. Meantime, our "American life" that we fight wars for, that citizens die for on foreign soil, that we beat our patriotic chests for, etc. is disintegrating while we "sleep." If we don't wake up, there soon won't be much left worth fighting for.
Kerry Daniel

Asheville, NC

#4 Jul 7, 2007
Dionysis, you ask me for a solution. Anything I might offer is far too simplistic for the complex issues that plague our civilization. I guess if I were to sum up what I think is at the core of most of our problems, I would say: Lack of love and respect for self, others, and the planet. People everywhere seem self-absorbed, but that's not the same as inherently loving oneself. And if we really cared deeply for ourselves, others and the planet, WAR would NOT EVEN BE AN OPTION!! Rather than wasting time with senseless stories about celebrities, I would rather see the media spend air time engaged in more open dialogue with people--an on-going "town hall meeting" where people can discuss issues like violence, alientation, greed, etc. in our culture. When we engage in meaningful dialogue, we can at least become more aware of our problems and engage our unique creativity in working out possible solutions. But before that can happen we need to be aware that we HAVE problems. And my observation is that too many people would rather be numb-- using whatever their preferred poison is -- than waking up.
OUTSPOKEN

Franklin, NC

#5 Jul 7, 2007
We are a people that are ruled by excesses and excuses. There is an excuse for any and every thing. Responsibility is for the other fellow -
We had better get a grip before it is too late.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mark Hacking Trial Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yahoo ID (Aug '06) Jan '14 Ravi 68
Laci Peterson Alert: Scott's Mother States Laci... (Jan '06) Mar '13 MIchigan 308
Hacking agrees to stop selling murder memorabilia (Oct '06) Oct '10 juda 2
Scince (Sep '10) Sep '10 Uzma 1
In support of Josh Powell - friend speaks out w... (Feb '10) Feb '10 missourigal 1
Mark Hacking material for sale online -- again (May '09) May '09 lisa 1
i need help (Aug '06) Aug '06 beth 1
More from around the web