'Big Red' bio hard to find, out of print

Full story: The Clarion-Ledger

Q: Dear Jack Sunn, at one time I remember reading a book about Red Hydrick and the Gold Coast in Rankin County.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ada

Apex, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

you an email it to me, if you don't mind. vood00child@yahoo.com how are you related?
ada

Apex, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

i am in pearl, ms
Allen Peacock

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

I'd like to hear more about the "
gold Coast," story, from Rick Neely from Brandon.
tks
ap122834@erizon.net
Rick Neely

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

I havee article in PDF format. If anyone would like it email me at neely.rick@yahoo.com
Rick Neely

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

Oh and check out my Dad's web page he has info there as well.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rooo22/
Ken Ackerson

Jamaica Plain, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

You can get the book Big Red by asking any library to do a search to other libraries. Mississippi libraries have the book.
ada toney

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2010

Rick Neely wrote:
I havee article in PDF format. If anyone would like it email me at neely.rick@yahoo.com
please email to me vood00child@yahoo.com
the book

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2010

is available again on AMAZON i see
RW Castens

Canton, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2010

Jerri wrote:
I am also doing family research and would like a copy of the book. Does anyone have any idea where I might could find a copy of the book BIG RED?
I have a copy that I bought at a flea market several years ago for $ 25.00. I have read it three times and would be willing to part with it now. Also, I am interested in information about "The Gold Coast" if you know where I may find more. mbs@netbci.com
Kayla

Pearl, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2010

I would like to receive any information possible about "The Gold Coast" and Big Red. My great-grandfather was a running buddy of his. We believe my father owns the gun that Big Red carried. If anyone has any documentation of his gun please e-mail me at kaylamwalters@gmail.com. Thanks!
DMcLaurin

Justin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2011

Allen Peacock wrote:
<quoted text>XL (Excel)(Little Red), your father, was some kind of character; had the greatest sense of humor of almost anyone I've ever met. I worked for 'Lil Red' once and of course, no one's gonna remember this but my Uncle owned/operated the gas station at the intersection of old 49 and old Brandon rd (old 80) highways and he gave me permission to build a 'firecracker' stand on the N. side of the building which had living quarters in the back of the gas station. I had no resources to stock the 'stand' but lil Red came to the rescue. When the stock came in he came to check it out and reached over the make-shift counter and picked up a box of 'torpedoes' and for those who don't know what a 'torpedoe' was, it was a firecracker, round about the size of a quarter, but perfectly round and if you threw the ball against the ground or floor or street or sidewalk, it would burst as a bomb or firecracker. Lil Redd threw the entire box of 'torpedoe's' back to me which I immediately knew that I had to catch it because if the box hit the concrete driveway floor of the stand we all would be blown to smithereens. Needless to say, as a 10-12 year old kid, I was scared to death and just as soon as I could get out of the 'firecracker business' I would never be in partners with lil Redd again. I wish I knew the truth about another story about Lil Redd when he brought 'Bo', a young black kid, from Vicksburg and had him living in the bootleg warehouse as a 'watchdog' and eventually went on to serve a career in the U.S. Navy and retired in San Diego.
Hi, my dad knew Red and Little Red. T.L.McLaurin. Have alot of questions.
DMcLaurin

Justin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2011

Have heard about this the whole time i was growing up, have alot of questions if you have the time.
caleb pearson

Ridgeland, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Allen Peacock wrote:
I lived in the area of the 'Rankin Coun "Gold Coast- the Pike" so I knew about the area. Buster Jones' son- urner Albert Jones lives today in Stewart, MS. Some distant relative of mine but I could never understand nor explain how. Email is ap122834@verizon.net or k5ap@arrl.net. <quoted text>
my mom just gave me a little history on some of these bootleggers because i ride along the "Gold Coast" to work. Her mother is Buster Jones sister. And her mothers first husband was Sam Seaney, who was killed in a shootout with a constable or something of that nature. My mom said she stayed with some of the Peacock family as a little girl. Just getting into this history of my family so i dont know much but am eager to learn.
caleb pearson

Ridgeland, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

and i live in richland. part of rankin county. not madison.
Betc

Florence, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

I had a copy of the book Big Red. It was the copy that was signed by Willie Mae to her son Clay. She had written a note to Clay in the front cover. Clay gave me the book to keep for him several years ago.
pete harvey

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2012

vood00child Ada Toney wrote:
alan johnson came by and talked to mama years ago. he was a producer with 20th century fo d got some stories form her.
i was born and reared in Rankin county.(Puckett). Date of birth 1933. I am very familiar with the bootlegging system in Rankin county.
My. Father was. Roy from. Puckett and my mother was a daughter of will. Graves also from puckett. I will be glad to share my stories with you.
You may contact me at pandcharvey@Aol.com
pete harvey

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2012

1z
DMcLaurin wrote:
Have heard about this the whole time i was growing up, have alot of questions if you have the time.
Ken Hydrick Flessas

Covington, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Rick, are your still searching for Hydrick family information, if so, please email me. kflessas@aol.com
Linda

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

My father has told me many stories also-he used to sleep under the bar till they closed at night-counting the quarters from the slots and if any rolled off the bed he got to keep -and some stories that don't belong on here-I really need to record these stories-also have pictures of Red at their house when he would come to eat pie

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••