Jeannette Walls receives Literary Mer...

Jeannette Walls receives Literary Merit Award

There are 330 comments on the The Herald-Dispatch.com story from Oct 4, 2006, titled Jeannette Walls receives Literary Merit Award. In it, The Herald-Dispatch.com reports that:

Submitted by Jennifer Sias, Associate Professor and Information Literacy Librarian, Marshall University Libraries When Jeannette Walls was a child and a teenager, food often was scarce or nonexistent, and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald-Dispatch.com.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
norma orndorff

Columbia, SC

#1 Jan 14, 2007
i was wanting to know if jeanette has a sister named maureen.if so we lived on the road below you growing up.
A FRIEND

Charleston, WV

#2 Jan 14, 2007
HEY NORMA-- FROM WCH
WV Girl

Bluefield, WV

#3 Jan 14, 2007
Before any of you start singing praises to Ms. Walls about the book that she wrote about Welch, I suggest you read it first.
tam

Birmingham, AL

#4 Jan 15, 2007
norma orndorff wrote:
i was wanting to know if jeanette has a sister named maureen.if so we lived on the road below you growing up.
I just finished the book, and she does have a younger sister named Maureen.
t
tam

Birmingham, AL

#5 Jan 15, 2007
WV Girl wrote:
Before any of you start singing praises to Ms. Walls about the book that she wrote about Welch, I suggest you read it first.
Have you read it? What did you think of it?

t
sissyj

United States

#6 Jan 15, 2007
i read it...was a little dishearting of the way she was raised and the way she spoke of the experience of living in Welch.
crystal

Bridgeport, WV

#7 Jan 15, 2007
I think she has a sister or an alais named J-WVU girl.She puts down the county,state, and her paernts in the book.Shes says in the book that while in school she had to dig through garbage cans for food,THERE WAS FREE LUNCH THEN.She saw her parents begging and homeless in the street of I think N.Y. and she hid from shame,SHE LET THEM SLLEP ON THE STREETS COLD AND HUNGRY.She is not someone I would want to know and I would never spend a dime on one of her books.Read the book BEFORE you praise her, you will probably change your mind.
J-WVUGirl

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jan 16, 2007
crystal wrote:
I think she has a sister or an alais named J-WVU girl.She puts down the county,state, and her paernts in the book.Shes says in the book that while in school she had to dig through garbage cans for food,THERE WAS FREE LUNCH THEN.She saw her parents begging and homeless in the street of I think N.Y. and she hid from shame,SHE LET THEM SLLEP ON THE STREETS COLD AND HUNGRY.She is not someone I would want to know and I would never spend a dime on one of her books.Read the book BEFORE you praise her, you will probably change your mind.
I would have no problems being associated with Mrs. Walls. I have had actual correspondence with her when she did an interview for ABC. She had some horrific experiences in Welch, however I think that she does not blame Welch for her childhood issues, but rather the fact that her father was alcoholic and her mother suffered from mental illness. There may have been free lunches and assistance available, but you have to be willing to go apply for them first. Her father is extremely well educated and at that time may not have qualified for any type of assistance due to his perceived ability to attain employment. Mrs. Walls has managed to make something of herself with all the odds stacked against her. It could have been Welch, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Chicago, or any other city for that matter where the issues that impacted her life took place.
crystal

Bridgeport, WV

#9 Jan 16, 2007
J_WVU girl you are her aint you.From the first post you wrote I thought you were her.
J-WVUGirl

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jan 16, 2007
crystal wrote:
J_WVU girl you are her aint you.From the first post you wrote I thought you were her.
LMAO...I am by far not Jeanette Walls. I do not hardly have a high profile lifestyle, money to burn, nor am I married to a man who has the type of social stature that her husband has. I would have to admit that she and I have some similarities (family, getting ahead of the odds) but that is about as far as it goes.
crystal

Bridgeport, WV

#11 Jan 16, 2007
J-WVU I was not by nomeans giving you a compliment..I think Jeanette Walls is a self-rightious b****,just like you.
J-WVUGirl

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jan 16, 2007
crystal wrote:
J-WVU I was not by nomeans giving you a compliment..I think Jeanette Walls is a self-rightious b****,just like you.
I don't think I implied that you were giving me a compliment did I? I can assure you that Jeanette Walls nor myself could care less what you think of either of us for that matter. PS, you forgot egotistical, arrogant, abrasive, self centered, greedy, pompous, moody, antagonizing, abrupt, argumentative, difficult, deragotory...etc, etc.
sissyj

United States

#13 Jan 17, 2007
i would not praise her for the book. I would be ashamed to write of my family the way she did. If her father was in such hi standards he would not have allowed his family to live such a way and he certainly would not live on the streets. She has made money off the poverty of her family and to state that her mom and dad lived on the streets of NY while she lives the high life is awful.!! she should be ashamed she published the book and to receive an award for what.?? I certainly hope the book wasn't part of why she received the award.
it was alot dishearting and she seemed to be a cold cold person.
crystal

Bridgeport, WV

#14 Jan 17, 2007
I couldnt of said it better myself sissyj.When i first heard of the book it was from my 15yr old daughter.She came home from school ranting about how Mrs.Walls had betrayed Mcdowell county,Her teacher had in fact went to school with Jeanette and had told my daughter that the book was in fact full of lies.I borrowed the book and tryed to read it, I was so disgusted I could not finish it.Jeanette Walls is so full of her self and how she holds her head after the way the talked of her family is beyond me.
J-WVUGirl

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Jan 17, 2007
sissyj wrote:
i would not praise her for the book. I would be ashamed to write of my family the way she did. If her father was in such hi standards he would not have allowed his family to live such a way and he certainly would not live on the streets. She has made money off the poverty of her family and to state that her mom and dad lived on the streets of NY while she lives the high life is awful.!! she should be ashamed she published the book and to receive an award for what.?? I certainly hope the book wasn't part of why she received the award.
it was alot dishearting and she seemed to be a cold cold person.
I think she did receive the award for this book "The Glass Castle" I think is the name. The story is really about her ability to survive and later thrive despite adversity. It does seem harsh on the surface I am sure to many as to why she was able to lead her life the way she has. I recall when I saw a report a few years ago about her that she has many times offered her mother help. She won't accept any assistance from her. At that time her mother was living in an abandoned building in New York. I am unsure about her siblings or father. I plan on reading the book as soon as a copy becomes available at the library.

She had a rather rough existence as a result of the dysfunctionality, alcoholism, and mental illness that plagued her parents. They did not provide for her as parents are supposed to do. This has happened to many of us and some of us come out stronger (as I believe Jeannette did) and some of us fall into the vicious cycle that we thought was "normal" when we were kids. I commend her for her courage and I am in no way ashamed of her. Her parents were responsible for taking care of her and her siblings, they apparently did a horrible job at it. When she became an adult, it was her responsibility her to assume taking care of herself, which apparently she did quite well. I am intrigued to know what assistance several of you think she should have provided to her family. People become addicted and homeless most of the time as a result of their own poor choices and I think that was the case here. If you were able to escape this type of existence would you take in those who would turn your life upside down again, perhaps steal from you, break up your marriage, and keep you feeling just the way you did for so long growing up? This is not an arguement for right or wrong, this is attempt for everyone to think about just how far each of us would go if we were in the same situation.
IF so

United States

#17 Jan 17, 2007
I think if you have to become a better so called person by stepping on others to do it, That you can hardly say you have improved yourself,
We all could most likely write a book, rub our families through the mud and so on.. Because good stories dont sell, its only the rough and bad that people want to buy for some reason!
I for one dont feel she has improved her abilities of being human, Maybe material things could replace all that, Some do come with price tags! And some find that the cost is worth it, I for one dont think so
sissyj

United States

#19 Jan 17, 2007
Amen!! I don't feel that you should gain awards for talking or should i say airing your dirty laundry in books. Yea, she had a ruff child hood, as many people do, heck there are kids today in our mcdowell county system who have it as hard or harder than she did. I just pray they have more since than to write about it and make money at their families expense. No wonder her parents didn't want any help from her...she really put them in a bad light to the public without asking.

to those who haven't read the book..it is hard to read something as poor written and such a put down on her family..not just her parents but grandparents (and neighbors too). I don't see how she can hold herself high for the book. Also, the librarian at Welch was trying to get her to come to town to have a discussion about the book and the experiences in mcdowell county, some of the other county Librarians was against it. I don't know if she was ever ask to come to Welch or not.
IF so wrote:
I think if you have to become a better so called person by stepping on others to do it, That you can hardly say you have improved yourself,
We all could most likely write a book, rub our families through the mud and so on.. Because good stories dont sell, its only the rough and bad that people want to buy for some reason!
I for one dont feel she has improved her abilities of being human, Maybe material things could replace all that, Some do come with price tags! And some find that the cost is worth it, I for one dont think so
sissyj

United States

#21 Jan 17, 2007
NO, I don't like Hank Jr. and I know that WV is not all that great. I did read your comment.
But I do know you don't stab your family and neighbors in the back for profit.

get a clue....some people have it harder than others..but family and neighbors are the ones who know you the best. everybody has problems. Just think about the kids who was at home when their mom and dad was arrested in the drug bust. don't think you will hear them talk bad about their parent.
H_LY SH_T

Columbia, SC

#23 Jan 17, 2007
Bo Holbrook wrote:
The whole lot of you crack me up.
A running theme of this forum seems to be that anyone who doesn't love their family and hold them in high regard no matter what they've done to them is a worthless piece of crap. What the hell is wrong with you people? You tell me that a person is supposed to be PROUD of their family if their family is a bunch of fucked up mental deficient alcoholics and embrace them no matter what they do? That's a crock of sh*t and you know it. You're just too dumb to figure it out.
Let me ask you this, What would you think of someone if they lived in your home and got drunk on a regular basis. Sloppy drunk. Occasionally in between drinking binges and lines of coke this person beat you with a coat hanger until you couldn't walk anymore. What would you think of that person? You'd think they were an asshole and you'd want nothing to do with them.
Now explain to me how family changes that perception? Whats so special about a blood relative that it makes them above facing consequences for years of physical and psychological abuse? Answer me THAT and you'll have my respect.
My family life was great. I got a great mom, a great dad, and a great brother. But i've had friends both past and present who have been in similar situations, BAD situations. You know what they kept saying? "Well they're family, so I gotta put up with it." NO YOU DON'T! I've seen too many people I know suffer thru abuse from family members and do nothing about it cause they've been instilled with this weird redneck pride thing you people have that spreads from everything to family to the cup of coffee you picked up from the ass backwards McDonalds in Welch.
Start making sense is all i'm saying, folks.
Right on dude. And if you can make a few bucks off your f*cked up family in the process, go for it. One smart chick this author is. We all deal with life experiences differently, and what is so wrong with turning negatives into positives?
SOO

United States

#25 Jan 18, 2007
Bo Holbrook wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for reading nothing I said.
Your very welcome! What you have to say is no different than another! My post has nothing to do with yours, other than I have a different opinion about things, Seems you think everyone should see your side of the issue, but guess what? You have nothing more than your own! And another thing, in a forum, somtimes you come across better to keep it short! Maybe you could get your point across alittle better without the ramble!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Libraries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five contenders, one title to win May 24 local read 1
News The library re-invents itself as a multi-media ... (Dec '10) May 3 iPads expensive 4... 7
News Administrators Dance on Top of School to Thank ... (May '13) Apr 28 Corrupt 5
News Library closes to move to new site - Apr '17 Yep 4
News The Center for Jewish History Announces January... Apr '17 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 2
News Dover City Council receives project update Apr '17 stinks 1
News Holy Cross Church construction to start soon (Jul '09) Apr '17 Christians eh 4
More from around the web