Chambersburg Area School District adds positions

The Chambersburg Area School District will be dividing the job of director of libraries among two people during the upcoming school year. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Anon

Marysville, PA

#1 Aug 25, 2010
Wait a minute. I thought the CASD was in such big red ink problems. Now they are "creating" two new positions to replace just one vacated by Ms. Rockwood? Sounds like empire-building to me. No wonder our taxes continue to increase, especially if they replace one employee with two. Was this a budget item?
C-burg grad

Muncy, PA

#2 Aug 25, 2010
67 more elem students - yet 7 elem teaching positions were cut?
DGS

Duncannon, PA

#5 Aug 26, 2010
I just got the annual mailing from CASD and just like last year, the biggest increase by percentage was.....yes, you guessed it......ADMINISTRATION! We cut 40 teaching positions but need more people to manage. Just about every area of the budget is down except administration. It just does not make sense.
Raise dem taxes

Landisburg, PA

#6 Aug 26, 2010
"We're trying to combine curriculum and technology as much as possible." - Show me research that says this helps improve student performance. Seems like it just adds cost (and higher taxes).

Bigger said the two positions were created in order to fill the void created when former Director of Information Services Sylvia Rockwood was promoted to director of human resources.- Wow, two to replace one. That must be a real worker.
wow

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Aug 26, 2010
C-burg grad wrote:
67 more elem students - yet 7 elem teaching positions were cut?
and one less school. wonder how those empty classrooms are working for them now?
Don Vito

Jonestown, PA

#8 Aug 26, 2010
This is just another slap in the face by Dr. Joe and the School Board. These positions have been planned all along, while making the residents of the area sweat about finances.
agree

Shermans Dale, PA

#9 Aug 26, 2010
Don Vito wrote:
This is just another slap in the face by Dr. Joe and the School Board. These positions have been planned all along, while making the residents of the area sweat about finances.
Yes, it is a slap in the face. How can this School District cry "poor mouth", justify two new positions, promote Sylvia, promote "Mr. Hodge", which I am sure without a doubt is inclusive of nice raises, this really is a kick to the rest of us trying to stay afloat. Someone please justify all of this.
common sense

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Aug 26, 2010
LISTEN I am only going to say this once!! They replaced an adminstrator "Rockwood" with two head teachers. Rockwood made a full salary at her position whereas the teachers will get supplemental pay. So the district actually saved about $50,000 with that move. So shut up idiots until you understand and have facts! Case closed... your welcome
yes

Shermans Dale, PA

#11 Aug 26, 2010
agree wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, it is a slap in the face. How can this School District cry "poor mouth", justify two new positions, promote Sylvia, promote "Mr. Hodge", which I am sure without a doubt is inclusive of nice raises, this really is a kick to the rest of us trying to stay afloat. Someone please justify all of this.
You couldn't have said it any better. THANK YOU
yes

Shermans Dale, PA

#12 Aug 26, 2010
common sense wrote:
LISTEN I am only going to say this once!! They replaced an adminstrator "Rockwood" with two head teachers. Rockwood made a full salary at her position whereas the teachers will get supplemental pay. So the district actually saved about $50,000 with that move. So shut up idiots until you understand and have facts! Case closed... your welcome
And I'll say this once, you are a total idiot. THANK YOU
DGS

Duncannon, PA

#13 Aug 26, 2010
common sense wrote:
They would have saved $50,000 if Ms. Rockwood had been terminated, however, she was promoted and given MORE money. If nothing is subtracted, how do you have less? Basic mathematics requires you to understand that MORE money is being spent on administration, not less.
agree

Shermans Dale, PA

#14 Aug 26, 2010
DGS wrote:
<quoted text>
They would have saved $50,000 if Ms. Rockwood had been terminated, however, she was promoted and given MORE money. If nothing is subtracted, how do you have less? Basic mathematics requires you to understand that MORE money is being spent on administration, not less.
Exactly, now it takes a rocket scientist to figure this one out. But then again, it is our School District at it's best.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#15 Aug 26, 2010
onlt in Chambersburg does it take 2 to do the job of one normal person. who'd a thunk it?

Since: Aug 10

Saint Thomas, PA

#16 Aug 26, 2010
Doesn't surprise me one bit. The administrators in our schools, as well as local,state and federal governments are absolutely clueless and heartless!! The claim is they care so much for our children and their only goal is to provide the proper education and guidance that we all require. But, the reality is at the same time our kids are being taught, they continue to demand more money and entitlemnts from the parents, which directly takes away from those same kids. And they continue to be irresponsible and not focused on product improvement and efficiency, which would only provide positive outcomes for ALL involved! Will these idiots ever figure it out?!?
Same Old Thing

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Aug 26, 2010
First off Bigger is an IDIOT. Next why does the district need a Director of Human Resources? Can't Mr. Hodge still oversee this department in his new position? Eric Michaels has spent the summer telling good teachers they are doing a poor job and trying to get them to quit to save money.
Mr. Purvis spends the summer playing softball and meeting his "friend". Maybe a little more time in school planning on how the high school can make AYP would be a better summer since the high school was one of 2 schools not to make it AGAIN.
curious

Shermans Dale, PA

#18 Aug 26, 2010
Same Old Thing wrote:
First off Bigger is an IDIOT. Next why does the district need a Director of Human Resources? Can't Mr. Hodge still oversee this department in his new position? Eric Michaels has spent the summer telling good teachers they are doing a poor job and trying to get them to quit to save money.
Mr. Purvis spends the summer playing softball and meeting his "friend". Maybe a little more time in school planning on how the high school can make AYP would be a better summer since the high school was one of 2 schools not to make it AGAIN.
I have to agree with this one. What exactly does "Mr. Hodge" do to deserve this new so called title and oh yes, "Mr. Purvis" and his friend. Sounds to me that maybe a good house cleaning of all the Admin. would maybe solve some of the issues.
Just asking

Carlisle, PA

#20 Aug 26, 2010
common sense wrote:
Hey common sense - if you are so sure in your math - tackle this one.
Super Joe said a few years aogo that replacing all the department heads with 15 new subject supervisore (new hires with salary and benefits) would save money in the long run. Track that one down and report back with the same conviction that you have on this one. How are those savings working out for us>>>
waitingforobamac omments

Spring Grove, PA

#21 Aug 26, 2010
... wait for it ... wait for it
Agent 0

United States

#22 Aug 26, 2010
The old boys network is alive and doing well. And welcome Mooch as the police officer at the High School.
Hmm

Merchantville, NJ

#23 Aug 26, 2010
It better be $52k for all of them - not each!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Libraries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand jury clears officers in FSU shooting Sun Tyrone Washington 1
Why Librarians Are Defending Your Right to Watc... Dec 14 Cosmo 2
Library function evolving Dec 7 cancer 2
3 cities vie to make Obama best offer for library Dec 5 okimar 3
Cranky voters have officials worried Dec 4 hatteras island f... 2
Science-hating homeschool mom sued for defamati... Nov 29 Dan 1
Family Library's gift to help set up a library ... Nov 26 Francesco Sinibaldi 1
More from around the web