Broken air conditioner results in 'hot' time at the library

Jun 2, 2011 Full story: The Elizabethton Star 10

Staff and visitors at the Elizabethton Carter County Public Library are dealing with sweltering temperatures inside the building this summer because the air conditioning unit at the library is in need of repairs.

Full Story
outraged

Elizabethton, TN

#1 Jun 2, 2011
I think it is a Damn shame that we can build a f-ing 30 million dollar jail for criminal and can't buy a air conditioner for the library!!!!!!!!!But this is CARTER COUNTY, WHAT A JOKE
whatcha say

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jun 2, 2011
At Elizabethton Library, you mean you all have no air conditioning, that is messud up! How can people stand to work, study, etc when it's 90 degrees outside? It's not going to be any cooler inside!! Wake up Carter County and let's demand the library get air cond.
BRIDGE TO NO WHERE

Cleveland, TN

#3 Jun 2, 2011
All the money was spent on the brige and road to Biltmore.
curious

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jun 2, 2011
"Cooling Tower at the library CANNOT be fixed" city manager's office told me today. Bids for this job will be taken. Meantime, ECCPL staff and patrons swelter. WHY wasn't this problem addressed ages ago. Last summer the same problem existed for the library. They have not enough fans. I imagine city coffers can't afford more. Staff are SUFFERING - realize this; straight from a staff member's mouth it came. It looks as if ECCPL is 'a redheaded stepchild' of this county. Sheriff's office, Police station, courthouse, courtrooms, Tax offices ALL nice and cool. Jail cool. a very lopsided playing field makes me furious. A good housecleaning is needed.

No raise for library staff the last four years. Who gets the "few special most deserved" raises yearly I hear about?
Slash salaries for the head honchos who are responsible for problems. Incompetence and waste of our tax dollars is intolerable, especially when we go hungry to pay them.
nobul

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jun 2, 2011
whatcha say wrote:
At Elizabethton Library, you mean you all have no air conditioning, that is messud up! How can people stand to work, study, etc when it's 90 degrees outside? It's not going to be any cooler inside!! Wake up Carter County and let's demand the library get air cond.
I understand they WILL have a cooling system, maybe in August. The Staff is working in pure misery!
Jane

Watseka, IL

#6 Jun 3, 2011
nobul wrote:
<quoted text>I understand they WILL have a cooling system, maybe in August. The Staff is working in pure misery!
I would think that if anyone, staff or public, suffers a heat related illness while in the library, the city could be held liable for the hospital bill. Should a death occur, the scenario would be even worse! What a shame the library has no more priority than that!
Junebug

Johnson City, TN

#7 Jun 3, 2011
I agree. Brand new Marriot Jail. The "Road to Nowhere" from Biltmore to Mcdonald's. But the city cant even get our Public Library's air conditioning fixed? Something is screwed up about that. Only in Elizabethton.:(
Gussie

Johnson City, TN

#8 Jun 3, 2011
I went into the library today. Noisy place. Some fans. Patrons wiping the sweat though. Lots of damp hair. Several looked weary battling the heat. This is INEXCUSABLE, Mr.City Manager, Mr. Finance Manager. There MUST be an emergency fund.$600 would buy a lot of fans.$1000 would buy more. If big raises are justified, I want to know what the JUSTIFICATION is. I DEMAND to know why you are such a poor manager, both of you.$10,000,$13,000 whatever amount you have recently "awarded"/GIVEN YOURSELF has NO JUSTIFICATION. How about FIRING YOUR AZZ for incompetence? TURN OFF the air in every public building! Now! WHY should our taxes go for cooling only the buildings/offices/courtrooms where we always go for the purpose of separating all citizens from their money or their freedom. nazism! Nothing but! Are you readers aware of this raise? Sounds like our US Congress, giving themselves raises...on our backs.

In June of all months, they decide to take bids for a cooling system. In the past, staff FIXED the cooling system with CHEWING GUM. God's truth!. Now isn't that an innovative fix and a BLOT on our city government?
Library Patron

Louisville, TN

#9 Jun 5, 2011
The air conditioning at the library was starting to have problems last year. It was really hot then too. City officals ignored it. They had air conditioning at City Hall, so why fix the one at the library that wasn't working right.
They should have gotten bids in the late winter. THEY knew the library air conditioning was not going to last through another summer.
This is typical Planning for the City of Elizabethton. Wait to fix things until they are so old and falling apart. I don't think they know the words- preventive maintance and planning ahead.
If the heat ruins those computers, what then?
So, dumb.....
staceybeck01

South Jordan, UT

#10 Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for sharing, kind of makes me feel better about having to get air conditioning repair in Tucson.( http://choicehvactucson.com/ac-repair-tucson/ )At least I can walk around my house in a tank top and shorts, I don't know if I want to see my librarians like that. Hope everything works out!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Libraries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand jury clears officers in FSU shooting 1 hr Tyrone Washington 1
Why Librarians Are Defending Your Right to Watc... Dec 14 Cosmo 2
Library function evolving Dec 7 cancer 2
3 cities vie to make Obama best offer for library Dec 5 okimar 3
Cranky voters have officials worried Dec 4 hatteras island f... 2
Science-hating homeschool mom sued for defamati... Nov 29 Dan 1
Family Library's gift to help set up a library ... Nov 26 Francesco Sinibaldi 1
More from around the web