Why 'illegal immigrant' is a slur

Why 'illegal immigrant' is a slur

There are 832 comments on the CNN story from Jul 5, 2012, titled Why 'illegal immigrant' is a slur. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Charles Garcia, who has served in the administrations of four presidents, of both parties, is the CEO of Garcia Trujillo, a business focused on the Hispanic market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

El Cid

Austin, TX

#694 Oct 12, 2012
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the proper term is "undocumented".
No, illegal alien is the correct term, means someone who has illegally entered this county.
Tick tock goes the clock.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#695 Oct 12, 2012
El Cid or Austinite.......that clock doesn't keep very good time.
Let Me Help

Kansas City, MO

#697 Oct 12, 2012
Juan wrote:
Cockroach.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#698 Oct 13, 2012
Juan wrote:
Tick tock, the clock keeps perfect time and punishes all crime.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#699 Oct 13, 2012
My clock will go off Monday morning for me to go to work. LOL

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#700 Oct 13, 2012
Juan wrote:
Who are you really Jaun?? You can tell me. ;)

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#701 Oct 13, 2012
Has anyone tried speaking in Spanish to Jaun to see if he's actually Mexican?

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#702 Oct 14, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
Has anyone tried speaking in Spanish to Jaun to see if he's actually Mexican?
X, he is a big fraud and can be pretty silly. He's here to rile folks up, plain and simple, and sometimes he succeeds.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#703 Oct 14, 2012
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the proper term is "undocumented".
Only if your a wet back noes it mean undocumented! To the nest of the world you an illegal. OH and by the way, in my house a spade is a spade and not a slur.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#704 Oct 14, 2012
Juan wrote:
Tick tock

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#705 Oct 14, 2012
I moved here from England 3 1/2 years ago. England: not a Third World, Terrorist-ridden, communist country, but ENGLAND: America's closest ally. I have spent thousands of $ doing everything legally, have suffered severe financial and emotional stress doing it, and have only JUST received my Unconditional Green Card.

I have worked for the whole time, apart from the first 6 months when I was not allowed to, and even then I volunteered at the local hospital, I have paid my taxes, contributed to the local ecconomy and become a intergrated member of local society.

I absolutely, completely and passionately RESENT those who try and do it illegally, get anchor babies, want to get around the system and get everything for NOTHING. It is a real slap in the face to me, my husband and all the other immigrants who pay their hard-earned cash to do it the RIGHT WAY.

Then we have these Green Card Lottos, giving away FREE Green Cards! Amazing!

Do it right, or face the consequences.
goldengirl

West Jordan, UT

#706 Oct 14, 2012
OUT with all illegal immigrants!!!!!!!!!!
Jessejess

Ogdensburg, NY

#707 Oct 14, 2012
Petalbabe is my wife and I would like to add that we never got foodstamps or any other help that first year, I worked my job and thankfully the year before I made 21,000 the year before as it was my best year in 10 years before and have not made that much sense...(you have to show 18000 on taxes the year before applying) I was great really we would buy a turkey and have a nice turkey dinner then sammies then a turkey soup ,never ate so much turkey in my whole life. For x-mas that year we had nothing but a dog, a tree, and each other and we could not have been more happy. I surprized my new wife with a home cooked seafood dinner x-mas day and a bottle of NY wine. That dinner cost like 50 bucks but we soooooo cherished it and took great photos as well. Just wanted to share with you all, that love and will to win, allowed us to be happy. And it makes us really be thankful for what we have. Giving to those that break the law will never see that silly green card (that is really red) like we do ....support the immigrants that come here legally. The govrnment did not GIVE us anything , WE EARNED IT

Since: Feb 09

Louisville, KY

#708 Oct 14, 2012
Jessejess wrote:
Petalbabe is my wife and I would like to add that we never got foodstamps or any other help that first year, I worked my job and thankfully the year before I made 21,000 the year before as it was my best year in 10 years before and have not made that much sense...(you have to show 18000 on taxes the year before applying) I was great really we would buy a turkey and have a nice turkey dinner then sammies then a turkey soup ,never ate so much turkey in my whole life. For x-mas that year we had nothing but a dog, a tree, and each other and we could not have been more happy. I surprized my new wife with a home cooked seafood dinner x-mas day and a bottle of NY wine. That dinner cost like 50 bucks but we soooooo cherished it and took great photos as well. Just wanted to share with you all, that love and will to win, allowed us to be happy. And it makes us really be thankful for what we have. Giving to those that break the law will never see that silly green card (that is really red) like we do ....support the immigrants that come here legally. The govrnment did not GIVE us anything , WE EARNED IT
Welcome to our family.

Location hidden

#709 Oct 14, 2012
justagi wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome to our family.
Thank you I just now joined topix community...they made me add the 53
Fed Up Vet

Herndon, VA

#710 Oct 14, 2012
I don't give a hoot what you call them.

They (illegal aliens) will be offended by any designation which draws attention to their status. TOO BAD.

You could call them "Future Americans" or "Wetbacks" or "Political Immigrants" , but as soon as the illegal aliens figure out the terms is about them, they will call it racist and demand it be changed (again). I will use the term "illegal alien" because the federal law describes them that way until Congress changes it.

Since: Feb 09

Louisville, KY

#711 Oct 14, 2012
jessejess53 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you I just now joined topix community...they made me add the 53
You're welcome, but in a larger sense, welcome to our AMERICAN family- yours is a success story and I wish you the best.
ima

El Paso, TX

#712 Oct 14, 2012
petalbabe wrote:
I moved here from England 3 1/2 years ago. England: not a Third World, Terrorist-ridden, communist country, but ENGLAND: America's closest ally. I have spent thousands of $ doing everything legally, have suffered severe financial and emotional stress doing it, and have only JUST received my Unconditional Green Card.
I have worked for the whole time, apart from the first 6 months when I was not allowed to, and even then I volunteered at the local hospital, I have paid my taxes, contributed to the local ecconomy and become a intergrated member of local society.
I absolutely, completely and passionately RESENT those who try and do it illegally, get anchor babies, want to get around the system and get everything for NOTHING. It is a real slap in the face to me, my husband and all the other immigrants who pay their hard-earned cash to do it the RIGHT WAY.
Then we have these Green Card Lottos, giving away FREE Green Cards! Amazing!
Do it right, or face the consequences.
you are so right, people like you we appreciate for assimilating and even doing volunteer work which tells us you want to be a part of this great nation. Thank you, thank you.

Location hidden

#713 Oct 14, 2012
justagi wrote:
<quoted text>You're welcome, but in a larger sense, welcome to our AMERICAN family- yours is a success story and I wish you the best.
I am American my Wife is Petalbabe ...she immigrated ...but thank you all the same ....I was only adding to her post and the trials we ensued the first year of her coming over. We sooo hate the give away of green cards to those that break the law entering our country...we did it right and payed all the fees and travel all over NY jumping thought the hoops to satisfy the government ...about 3000 bucks to the government plus expenses traveling 3 trips to Plattsburg...2 to SYR. once to Albany....plus immunizations, and only living off my income while she volunteered.

Yet they GIVE the green cards to illegals that BROKE the law entering our country....if the give them FREE green card then they should reinburse all of us that did it legally....we lived WAYYYY below the poverty line to pay for all of this...and it had to be don't in a certain amount of time or it would cost more....but they want to give it to those that broke the law....make me very upset

Location hidden

#714 Oct 14, 2012
As a matter of fact she just today got in the mail her 10 year green card and this now opens the door for her to get her citizenship.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Journalism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Turkey duped the US, and ISIS reaps rewards 7 min Filipsamovich 5
News Jorge Ramos: 'Only' fighting, confrontation wil... 2 hr TrueSpaniard 1
News 'Rapacious' Arianna Huffington accused of deval... Fri USA Today 1
News Suspect in slaying of two TV station employees ... Fri Normal is OK 20
News Jorge Ramos tells Megyn Kelly: Trump behaved li... Aug 26 wild child 1
News Univision's Jorge Ramos reacts to being booted ... Aug 26 tomin cali 2
News John Huff named New Bern Sun Journal editor (Dec '07) Aug 23 Jim in Orlando 10
More from around the web