The Way International Biblical Research

Posted in the Journalism Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
maggie mae

United States

#1 Jun 15, 2007
Does anyone know anything about this cult? A small group is in the Knoxville area..
Renay Freeman

Redmond, WA

#2 Jul 20, 2007
Hi Maggie Mae. The Way is not a cult. It is a church. It is a group of researchers who meet in a home instead of a temple.(a church is the people, not a "temple" or building.) The members study diligently GOD's word in order to find it's accuracy and to live by it. They study the original text in Greek, Aramik, and Hebrew, in order to interpret GOD's word with accuracy. It helps you to know Jesus Christ as the human that he was, and to inheret all that he made available to every human. All members take turns teaching, and everyone is considered equal. All subjects are lovingly open for discussion, and there is no condemnation...only love and guidance. The members also go out and share this information with anyone interested in knowing the truth (like GOD instructed Christians to do).The members all strive to be positive role models in their communities,hold respectable legal jobs, and many join our military in order to support our country, one nation, under GOD.
I joined the WAY in 1999. When first approached about it, I was very suspicious and explored it with the intentions to expose it as a "cult". I only found it to be an incredible guide to living abundantly both now, and for eternity. I found the simplicity of GOD's word opposed to the confusion that "religion" caused. The Way is not religious....it is spiritual.
Both the Way and the Bible are NOT for everyone...only for believers in GOD and Jesus Christ.
If you are interested in finding a fellowship near you, let me know. Feel free to e-mail meif you want to look into the WAY and if you have any questions! I highly recommend you just checking it out...they won't track you down or hound you to come back if you do not want to...they're not the Mormons or JW! lol.Hope to hear from you again!
Bless You! Sincerely, Renay Freeman
[email protected]

Since: Jul 07

United States

#3 Jul 23, 2007
Renay Freeman wrote:
Hi Maggie Mae. The Way is not a cult. It is a church. It is a group of researchers who meet in a home instead of a temple.(a church is the people, not a "temple" or building.) The members study diligently GOD's word in order to find it's accuracy and to live by it. They study the original text in Greek, Aramik, and Hebrew, in order to interpret GOD's word with accuracy. It helps you to know Jesus Christ as the human that he was, and to inheret all that he made available to every human. All members take turns teaching, and everyone is considered equal. All subjects are lovingly open for discussion, and there is no condemnation...only love and guidance. The members also go out and share this information with anyone interested in knowing the truth (like GOD instructed Christians to do).The members all strive to be positive role models in their communities,hold respectable legal jobs, and many join our military in order to support our country, one nation, under GOD.
I joined the WAY in 1999. When first approached about it, I was very suspicious and explored it with the intentions to expose it as a "cult". I only found it to be an incredible guide to living abundantly both now, and for eternity. I found the simplicity of GOD's word opposed to the confusion that "religion" caused. The Way is not religious....it is spiritual.
Both the Way and the Bible are NOT for everyone...only for believers in GOD and Jesus Christ.
If you are interested in finding a fellowship near you, let me know. Feel free to e-mail meif you want to look into the WAY and if you have any questions! I highly recommend you just checking it out...they won't track you down or hound you to come back if you do not want to...they're not the Mormons or JW! lol.Hope to hear from you again!
[email protected]
Renay, Please find your way out!!! You must have been vunerable and the way attaches to people such as yourself. I have studied the way for many years and you are a very small thriving group in knoxville who we warn our children to run from. You believe you are on a higher plain, and, for those of us who are not a member, are considered non-belivers. Is Steven Roberts still you leader in k.ville or has HQ moved him somewhere else? You see, when things get bad, the leadership is transferred to bring in a dud couple from another local area. You need to go the Greasespot cafe.com and learn what is going on in the little cult you are a member of. You may not think you are brainwashed, but you will soon find out that you are. Do you still have family you can associate with, celebrate Christmas or is it still called "HoHo" or "Happy Holiday"?..
You see, Greasespot Cafe is run by the advasary and is destroying a cult who uses God's word to manipulate innocent people who are eager to learn his word. I'm sure you have heard these words before. You are not being taught the word correctly..
How many people have left your fellowships in Knoxville that you haven't even heard about yet until you go to one of your socials and don't see them.
I could go on and on but of course, your fellowship warns you of someone like me because they need people like you to give them your $$$$ or take someone in and share expenses, or better yet, don't have anything to do with anybody that says anything wrong about "the way".

United States

#4 Jul 23, 2007
Renay Freeman wrote:
[email protected]
You may be meeting in homes instead of a Temple, but just what is your money supporting because I know you are giving it? Go look at the multi-million dollar New Knoxville TEMPLE you don't support. Give me a break and open your eyes.
The Way is not and I repeat, IS NOT A BIBLICAL RESEARCH. THE WAY DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A RESEARCH DEPARTMENT....you have the way lingo that is so apparent as i read your reply. Their are very few of you left in Knoxville and 1 family in Maryville..Again, open your eyes the way many others have... Legal jobs??? You have one member who is a legal secretary...These leaders thrive on talking about Baptist, Catholic, Jewish, Presbyterians and how they take people's money and shove it in the "temples". Ask them the last time they ever went to a temple and listened to someone teach..They are hypocrites with a purpose of total destruction of a human life. Another cool aide drinking ministry raping one's spiritual being. The numbers are shrunk to a mere 3-4,000 world-wide..See for yourself because I know you will be told nothing by your leadership..
I know I won't be tracked down or hounded by members, like in the past at malls and book-stores, because I helped put a stop to this.
Please get out and get help ...
If you need help getting out, let me know....
Joseph Olthouse

United States

#5 Jul 28, 2007
Hey Maggie, I was wondering if you have ever been a part of the ministry in the past?

Miami, FL

#6 Aug 1, 2007
Joseph Olthouse wrote:
Hey Maggie, I was wondering if you have ever been a part of the ministry in the past?
No, but helped 11 families remove their college age children from this religious cult. I have encouraged churches to warn congregations about this cult and spoke at many seminars with success. There are many of us who have studied not only this group, but, many others. I can promise one thing, they will not debate issues of the Bible with any theologian.
newanarchy

Carrollton, TX

#7 Aug 2, 2007
Renay Freeman wrote:
[email protected]
All organized religions are cults.
grew up in the way

Jackson, MS

#8 Aug 3, 2007
Renay Freeman wrote:
[email protected]
you have got to be kidding me. no condemnation... are you insane? that cult is based on condemnation. no one is ever good enough and all they do is talk down to each other and everyone else they come in contact with bc they think they are better than the rest of the world. they are all considered equal? hahahah... that's funny. i grew up in fellowships all of my life and all that I found is a bunch of perverts who think you can do whatver you want bc you are so damn "righteous." they cuss and smoke pot and then act like they are better than everyone else in the world... and of course, they are the only ones going to Heaven. I was in that cult for 25 years! They put on a good show until you get brainwashed.
JustSayNo

United States

#9 Aug 4, 2007
After investing 13 yrs of my life in this organization, I learned to Just Say No to them.

For those considering joining, please don't.

I know that was a simple response,but unfortunately unless you lived it AND then had honest time away from it you would never comprehend the depth of manipulation that is involved with this group.

To those still in:

My brothers and sisters in Christ please take a deep breath and honestly listen to what I'm going to say and then prove it for yourself.

Because there is so much depth to it I'm going to suggest that yo go to gscafe.com and read around there. Now is there alot of hate and negatives there, absolutely. but there is alot of truth there as well.

Truth that was never shared with us, truth that they felt we had no right to know and truth that they felt we wern't spiritually mature enough for.

Anyway just check it out. Now think on this in 1984 they sent out 4000 people WOW, today there was what 3 people that graduated the Way Corp. Since Craig left the Way has lost 7+ region Coord., tens if not hundreds of Way Corp and countless believers. Way Corp!!! people that have spent 4 yrs of there life training and commited themselves to a lifetime of service walk away in less then 6 years sinse Craig left.

Research-Why are peope pulled aside and asked or yelled at if they research something outside of or contridictory to the collaterals(books written by the Way), I thought we were encouraged to research the word, not memorize their publications, if your research matches their work great, but it should be encouraged not discouraged. Yes, I know you say it IS encouraged. Yes, they say it, but they discourage or confront the issues when you do. So is that really promoting or are you just supposed to research there books, magazines and tapes and then just reiterate them in your own words. That's memorization not research.

Anyway, that is Just 1 small area of concern. Dont get me wrong, I dont hate anyone that is involved and I was in for 13 yrs as I said earlier, It took a few years of research to get answers to those unvoiced questions( I know you have them)It took more time to convice myself that the answers were true and not from the adversary and then time to heal and realize the real damage that was caused.

To put it another way it is like, Trying to "really" explain the the benefits of of quitting to a smoker. Try to explain the emotional and physical aspects of boot camp to someone who hasnt experienced it. It is next to impossible to do unless you have experienced it yourself.

As a parting statement to those in still, I was a committed Believer of the Way, not on the fence until the very end and then I was only on the fence as concerns the Wayn not the Word(there is a distinction). I had taken all the classes, been Way Disciple and had actually applied to go Way Corp. which was when I really stepped up to the plate to research what was going on before I made such a committment and I thank God every day that I did.

-In Christ
Renay

Washington, DC

#10 Oct 23, 2007
Hi to all who have responded. GOD has given us all free will, so I respect your right to believe what you choose; However, the WAY is not a cult, not do they "take advantage" of vulnerable people. I am an educated, intelligent, woman who has explored many different faiths, seeking the truth(s)of GOD's word. The WAY consists of many different types of people, from many different backgrounds. It is simply a group doing research, seeking to rightly divide GOD's word, and offer it to anyone interested.
We do not think we are the "only ones" who are saved, and all of our funds are accounted for and left on open record for all members. These funds go toward various things to both edify our members and educate ALL who are interested. The money goes to our school(s), classes, outreaches, and also to charities (we just do not need to "brag" about it, as do some "religions").
Anyway, I am not an attorney to defend the accuracy of our heavenly Father's word, I am just a witness who has first hand experience with it and all of it's mighty power. A lot of this happened long before I even joined the WAY, the WAY just allowed me to sift through the worldly rhetoric and get down to the simplicity of the Word, to know Jesus Christ as the man that he was, and to understand how we can ALL claim our inheritence.
I strongly encourage you all to explore the WAY deeply, for your own edification. It's just a bunch of believers in Jesus Christ, seeking GOD's truth, not the world's.
GOD's word is not for everyone...only those who want it.
GOD bless you all,
Sincerely,
Renay

United States

#11 Oct 23, 2007
Renay, It has taken many believers of The Way International who have been spiritually abused to finally wake up to the destruction of the leaders. Are you allowed to date anyone outside of the way? If your answer is yes and he is not part of your rituals on Tuesday, Thursday and every once in a while a Sunday to listen to the way tape, then be prepared to get rid of him. Have you not been matched up with another Way disciple yet? The Way really encourages this and age is not a factor.

Single Way men and women are encouraged to be together in more ways than one. Even their great white leader took advantage of young girls who were taught they were blessing him by having sex. Craig carried on the teaching and discarded them when he was finished. Are you scared to really see what you are associated with or is everybody else who brings out the truth of The Way still working for the adversary to destroy their little cult?

Do your have the nerve to ask a question as to why someone doesn't return to your fellowship? Ask why every class they teach cost you well over a $100.00 each. Why do you have to pay to be taught the word? What charities do the Way give to? The only organization I know they ever gave to was the Church of Scientology. Tell us how much all your classes cost and have you gone to the advanced class yet?

I bet they call on you to speak in tongueS (SIT) and then interpret what you said. Have you ever studied what SIT is? Show me in the word where the disciples spoke in tongues and interpreted what they said to other believers.

Do you know what Love is? The new Way is the same as the Old Way. I hope you never have to choose between your family and the way or have you already. Ask those who sit beside you in fellowship. Ask Steven and Pattye Faye what you are supposed to do with your child if they make a decision to attend a church outside of the way. Kick their ars out until they start attending the way again. Ask the Keegans what they did with their 17 y/o son because he wanted to have friends outside the way..Kick your ars out until you attend way meetings and mingle with the other way kids.

I could go on and on but this makes me sick. Just look at the sad faces of children and young adults who still live with their parents because they are not allowed to date outside the way.
Get a grip Renay, start asking some questions....As you said , "God has given us freewill"...God has also given us some sense to know what is right and wrong in his word. Try taking advantage of this free will..

According to The Way, everything outside of the way is of the world..after all, The Way is on a higher plane than the rest of us and if you aren't there yet, then you will be soon...
JustSayNo

Marietta, GA

#12 Nov 11, 2007
Renay dear,

I believe your are possibly a bit confused. You have been taught that The Way and The Word are the same and your previous post unfortunately confirms that. The issues that I and most people have with them is not the Word, it is the misrepresentation of it in the subtleties for personal and organizational gain. The Way is a Business, It has to run like a business or it will not survive.

There are some foundational elements to what the Way teaches that are great, then there are some areas in which they have privately interpreted to further there own ends. This is proven by the fact that they no longer teach certain areas anymore. The problem lies in that they have blindly strayed from the business supporting the ministry to the ministry supporting the business.

Like the Law of believing, nothing in the Word supports that and they no longer teach it the way Dr. Wierwille did, they softened it up and made it ambiguous.

What about adultery, for years Craig said that everyone taught that word wrong and that it referred to spiritual adultery. He never taught it in light of the marital relationship except to say that in the US and other countries it was considered illegal. Yes there was a remote context to it but there was also an immediate one as well he chose to ignore to his eventual downfall and was supported by the other leadership it teaching this. Anyone that stood up to him was kicked out, so who does that leave, leaders that believed and/or practiced his teachings or those who were afraid to stand up for the Truth (not much of a leader then, huh?).

How about the teachings on face of the deep. There is a lot of speculation about it but there is nothing even biblically concrete about it.

The four crucified with Christ. Detail is great but remember even with researching back to Greek and Aramaic the best you will ever come up with is translation or a copy. There are no originals left, so the best that they could come up will is speculation, conjecture and an educated guess which is no confirmation, proof or guarantee of Truth. The same could be said about the holy spirit field, there are truths mixed with educated guesses which have formed beliefs which have turned into doctrines of practice that are not 100% proven biblically.

-Continued in next post.
JustSayNo

Marietta, GA

#13 Nov 11, 2007
-Continued from previous post

How to state this properly, I’ll attempt it this way and hope the point is understood. One of the biggest things that is overlooked is “practical presentation” and education. What do I mean by this? The Way promotes itself on being a practical ministry and teaching the Truth of the Word . Along these lines they are as “straight as an arrow” and extremely detailed in what they believe and teach. The issue lies in teaching the practical how to apply it in our day to day life. They give broad stroke answers but are unable or unwilling to dig deep enough to teach it on a more personal level or have educated leadership locally that can, unlike a lot of the churches they criticize. It’s a tactic used to keep people looking to its leaders for answers instead of teaching them how to resolve them. I know it is opposite of what the say and appear to do, but it is not and is ( I don’t know the term for it) a form of manipulation to maintain control over peoples lives instead of having them respect and reverence them for their help. Ahh, I’m not sure if I’m painting the picture right or not and what I said is such a tiny glimpse of what I’m trying to portray here. I’ll just stop here and hope it is understood.
Moving on, you stated "money goes to our school(s), classes, outreaches, and also to charities (we just do not need to "brag" about it, as do some "religions")."

Ok, It's easy to say things here, now prove it. Schools??? The only thing that I recall them doing was donating a bunch of old items that they didn’t need for purposes of publicity and a tax write-off and not having to pay to have it hauled off. I’m not going to say they haven’t done anything else but think, in their 63 years that is the only thing that comes to mind. That's sad. What are they doing in a continual effort to help the community. I guess charities would fall under this as well, once a decade or a trivial pittance offering from a 60 million dollar organization that states they give to the community is not sad but despicable, disgraceful and border lining a lie. Again this is based off my observations over 13 yrs. If I'm wrong please feel free to "prove" me wrong, I welcome it.

Classes, ok, how?? I admit they paid for the filming and the manufacturing of the videos. But were do they contribute in the actual running and presentation of them. The students pay a variable fee up to 100.00 for each f the local classes. These classes are run in peoples homes, using people’s equipment and resources, student or locals contribute refreshments . All the staff for the classes are volunteers. You say money goes to the classes where?? The truth is they “Make” money from running these classes. Immediately as well as building a foundation for tithing which will bring in 10% of people income.(not saying it isn’t biblical, we’re talking about your statement) Ok, so they spent some money to make a WHOLE LOT MORE. That’s not generous or charitable, that’s business.
Outreaches, now you’ve really baffled me. Explain this one. All local events are planned financed and run by peoples hard work, recourses and finances. Usually there is a fee to cover expenses incurred, so the ministry itself doesn’t participate in it fiscally. Now on larger events(region-wide or larger) which still require volunteers, local resources and personal fiscal support, rarely have I ever heard of the ministry contributing finances freely and usually only up to 25% of the cost . Which they recoup through charging a facility or admission fee for. This was usual for events of 500+ people.
So as to not “bragging” about it, what’s there to brag about. If it was me I’d be sticking my head in the sand out of embarrassment.

-Continued in next post.
JustSayNo

Marietta, GA

#15 Nov 11, 2007
Nevermind, it wont allow me to post multiple posts, it keep overwiting the previous, so until I figure out multiple posts I'll wait because what I want to say will take more than 4000 characters, actually more than 8000 lol
JustSayNo

Marietta, GA

#16 Nov 11, 2007

How to state this properly, I’ll attempt it this way and hope the point is understood. One of the biggest things that is overlooked is “practical presentation” and education. What do I mean by this? The Way promotes itself on being a practical ministry and teaching the Truth of the Word . Along these lines they are as “straight as an arrow” and extremely detailed in what they believe and teach. The issue lies in teaching the practical how to apply it in our day to day life. They give broad stroke answers but are unable or unwilling to dig deep enough to teach it on a more personal level or have educated leadership locally that can, unlike a lot of the churches they criticize. It’s a tactic used to keep people looking to its leaders for answers instead of teaching them how to resolve them. I know it is opposite of what the say and appear to do, but it is not and is ( I don’t know the term for it) a form of manipulation to maintain control over peoples lives instead of having them respect and reverence them for their help. Ahh, I’m not sure if I’m painting the picture right or not and what I said is such a tiny glimpse of what I’m trying to portray here. I’ll just stop here and hope it is understood.

Moving on, you stated "money goes to our school(s), classes, outreaches, and also to charities (we just do not need to "brag" about it, as do some "religions")."

Ok, It's easy to say things here, now prove it. Schools??? The only thing that I recall them doing was donating a bunch of old items that they didn’t need for purposes of publicity and a tax write-off and not having to pay to have it hauled off. I’m not going to say they haven’t done anything else but think, in their 63 years that is the only thing that comes to mind. That's sad. What are they doing in a continual effort to help the community. I guess charities would fall under this as well, once a decade or a trivial pittance offering from a 60 million dollar organization that states they give to the community is not sad but despicable, disgraceful and border lining a lie. Again this is based off my observations over 13 yrs. If I'm wrong please feel free to "prove" me wrong, I welcome it.

Classes, ok, how?? I admit they paid for the filming and the manufacturing of the videos. But were do they contribute in the actual running and presentation of them. The students pay a variable fee up to 100.00 for each f the local classes. These classes are run in peoples homes, using people’s equipment and resources, student or locals contribute refreshments . All the staff for the classes are volunteers. You say money goes to the classes where?? The truth is they “Make” money from running these classes. Immediately as well as building a foundation for tithing which will bring in 10% of people income.(not saying it isn’t biblical, we’re talking about your statement) Ok, so they spent some money to make a WHOLE LOT MORE. That’s not generous or charitable, that’s business.

Outreaches, now you’ve really baffled me. Explain this one. All local events are planned financed and run by peoples hard work, recourses and finances. Usually there is a fee to cover expenses incurred, so the ministry itself doesn’t participate in it fiscally. Now on larger events(region-wide or larger) which still require volunteers, local resources and personal fiscal support, rarely have I ever heard of the ministry contributing finances freely and usually only up to 25% of the cost . Which they recoup through charging a facility or admission fee for. This was usual for events of 500+ people.

So as to not “bragging” about it, what’s there to brag about. If it was me I’d be sticking my head in the sand out of embarrassment.

-Continued in next post.
JustSayNo

Marietta, GA

#17 Nov 11, 2007

Now I didn’t say all this to belittle you. For I know that this how it is promoted and viewed internally. But if you step back a moment and rationally look at it you find that most of which you apparently believe from the fact you mentioned it has been misleading and uses those “in” to promote themselves. The manipulation of people and their lives is a slow process that builds over a long period of time. That they promote themselves as charitable and giving is but a jot and a tittle (one tiny point) to prove the organizational manipulation which is neither ethical or biblical.

May God open the eyes of your understanding a little more today, to see that the ministry you give your heart, soul, mind and strength to “might” be a bit more religious and not quite as “On the Word” as you thought and may you have the courage and enough of a desire to know the truth to step back and dig deeper to find it for yourself.

Ps. You stated “Anyway, I am not an attorney to defend the accuracy of our heavenly Father's word, I am just a witness who has first hand experience with it and all of it's mighty power” God and His Word and the power of it were never in question.
JustSayNo

Marietta, GA

#18 Nov 11, 2007

Now I didn’t say all this to belittle you. For I know that this how it is promoted and viewed internally. But if you step back a moment and rationally look at it you find that most of which you apparently believe from the fact you mentioned it has been misleading and uses those “in” to promote themselves. The manipulation of people and their lives is a slow process that builds over a long period of time. That they promote themselves as charitable and giving is but a jot and a tittle (one tiny point) to prove the organizational manipulation which is neither ethical or biblical.

May God open the eyes of your understanding a little more today, to see that the ministry you give your heart, soul, mind and strength to “might” be a bit more religious and not quite as “On the Word” as you thought and may you have the courage and enough of a desire to know the truth to step back and dig deeper to find it for yourself.

Ps. You stated “Anyway, I am not an attorney to defend the accuracy of our heavenly Father's word, I am just a witness who has first hand experience with it and all of it's mighty power” God and His Word and the power of it were never in question.
JustSayNo

Marietta, GA

#19 Nov 11, 2007
So, sorry for the multiple posts, some didn't show up immediately and I reposted them thinking they didnt go through. There were 3 parts to it.
the begining lines for each in order are:

1> Renay dear,

2>-Continued from previous post

How to state this properly,

3>-Continued from previous post

Now I didn’t say all this to belittle you.

I hope that helps a bit and again sorry for the multiple posts. and I see they didnt all appear in the order I posted them, hmmm

United States

#20 Nov 13, 2007
Renay, Do you still have to get permission before you can go to Headquarters and worship with the elite?

Do you know what happens to your lively hood when you go to live at Headquarters? Just curious if you have ask any questions yet....
no love lost

United States

#21 Nov 13, 2007
Maggie,
I have no love lost for the way, but I have to question how you go about trying to stop someone from getting involved. Your very accusative. If I was the one you were writing to, I'd have gotten annoyed with you a while back. I appreciate what your doing, I just wonder if it is the best way about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Journalism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rabbis call The Forward 'an embarrassment to Je... Aug 15 lavon affair 1
News Can both sides of the immigration debate unite ... Aug 13 spytheweb 1
News Reporters were 'reluctant' to cover the Bill Cl... Aug 12 supremeliberal 2
News Russian court blocks deportation of gay journal... Aug 8 Lester 3
News Roman Polanski wins best European picture award (Dec '10) Aug 8 Alejandrojoaquin110 4
News Contributing Op-Ed Writer: Trafficking in Immig... Aug 7 spytheweb 1
News South Africa: German Software Giant Accused of ... Aug 4 sapyard 1
More from around the web