BrotherMoon

“Sandy Stranger killed JonBenet”

Since: Jan 08

Not Boulder, Co.

#1 Sep 26, 2013
Have you (anyone) used melatonin?

What was your experience like?

I have recently taken it 5 times.

The only other sleep aid I have taken is the antihistamine diphenhydramine HCL.

First, it worked.
Second, I had pleasant dreams.
Third, I had a pleasant feeling hangover the following day.

I was "out out" every time for at least four hours and sometimes up to eight, but I don't know if I was impervious to outside stimulation or not.

I asked my wife to wait two hours after I was out and go downstairs and whack things but she thinks I am obsessed enough with this case and refused.

I have not yet taken two pills as John said he did.
robert

Yellowknife, Canada

#2 Sep 26, 2013
BrotherMoon wrote:
Have you (anyone) used melatonin?
What was your experience like?
I have recently taken it 5 times.
The only other sleep aid I have taken is the antihistamine diphenhydramine HCL.
First, it worked.
Second, I had pleasant dreams.
Third, I had a pleasant feeling hangover the following day.
I was "out out" every time for at least four hours and sometimes up to eight, but I don't know if I was impervious to outside stimulation or not.
I asked my wife to wait two hours after I was out and go downstairs and whack things but she thinks I am obsessed enough with this case and refused.
I have not yet taken two pills as John said he did.
when i took it , it made me mildly wozzy the next morning.
candy

East Lansing, MI

#3 Sep 26, 2013
I've taken it a lot to get to sleep. It is a fail safe way to get to sleep, some sleep. I certainly heard my alarm clock go off on it, as well as other stimuli.
The Truth Hurts

Livonia, MI

#4 Sep 26, 2013
Didn't do a thing for me.

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#5 Sep 27, 2013
This is a good discussion BM, but as you know everyone is different and we only have John's word for what and how much he took, if anything at all

He may have taken 1 pill, 2 pills, 10 pills or nothing at all. We just don't know, nor do we know if that is all he took or whether he took a different drug completely.

One also has to account for the variables as each person's body is different and we have no way of knowing, assuming John is telling the truth:

How much alcohol did he consume
How much food did he consume
How much sleep did he have the night before?
Etc., etc.

Some people sleep through just about anything whether they took a sleep aid or not. Some people are light sleepers and wake up to every little sound.

I'm wondering if they still have the blood samples from Patsy and John if it can still, if not done already, test for drugs/alcohol, etc. in the blood.

I doubt it, but they should have done drug tests at the time to see how much alcohol was in both parents blood along with any other drug.

It may have been done and being kept secret too. This is something we'll never know for sure and can only speculate about

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 27, 2013
Doesn't sound smart to take any kind of sleeping medication if you're expected to pilot a plane within 10 hours. The use of Melatonin by pilots is regulated by the FAA.

http://www.leftseat.com/melatonin.htm

Jonbenet's death may have been a blessing in disguise, it prevented him from killing 7 souls including himself.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#7 Sep 27, 2013
Here's a case where both pilots fell asleep.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/09...

“If life gives you melons”

Since: Nov 06

You might be dyslexic

#8 Sep 27, 2013
moonjack wrote:
Doesn't sound smart to take any kind of sleeping medication if you're expected to pilot a plane within 10 hours. The use of Melatonin by pilots is regulated by the FAA.
Jonbenet's death may have been a blessing in disguise, it prevented him from killing 7 souls including himself.
John wasn't supposed to pilot the plane, Mike Archuleta was. John was going to be the co-pilot.

“May you all come home”

safely Bless you all

#9 Sep 27, 2013
moonjack wrote:
That is a good point which adds to my other reason for John not being quite honest

Had he had a "few" drinks at the Whites, driving home with his two children "under the influence" and making stops, etc. also doesn't sound like a good idea. One doesn't have to be falling down drunk to "shouldn't" drive.

It's a remote possibility, but knowing that there were likely lots of drinks provided, that is another consideration about John's story of what he took, when and whether he took anything at all

Again, some people sleep more soundly than others and they both could claim that they heard nothing but there is no way to back that statement up. No matter what anyone else hears under the circumstances that they tried with reproducing the sounds and the events, there is no way to prove that they did or didn't hear anything.

We'll never know

BrotherMoon

Not Boulder, Co.

#10 Sep 27, 2013
Again, you have a problem with proof and evidence.

John said he took a couple of melatonin. That statement is evidence. Whether it was two or more and what dosage is not clear. An investigator's experience with the drug is also information relative to the investigation if not relevant to or admissible in court.

It is within the realm of possibility that John could have slept through any noise that night even without the drug and the possibilities increase with the drug.

My experience with the drug validates the later to some extent but still leaves the obvious questions and doubts unanswered completely.

Your conclusions are due to your bias.

Since: May 11

AOL

#11 Sep 27, 2013
BrotherMoon wrote:
John said he took a couple of melatonin. That statement is evidence. Whether it was two or more and what dosage is not clear. An investigator's experience with the drug is also information relative to the investigation if not relevant to or admissible in court.
It is within the realm of possibility that John could have slept through any noise that night even without the drug and the possibilities increase with the drug.
My experience with the drug validates the later to some extent but still leaves the obvious questions and doubts unanswered completely.
LOL you are so full of chit! JR told Barbara Walters he took ONE tablet in the interview from March 2000.
In the deposition JR gave for the Wolf case, JR said he took ONE tablet. Where you're getting two, I have no idea, but the horse's mouth said ONE tablet. Nothing like boosting your stupid theory, eh? I've taken melatonin and it doesn't do squat. It's the equivalent of a warm glass of milk, you still wake up when there's unusual racket like you do without it.
Your LIE about two tablets is due to your bias;)

“May you all come home”

safely Bless you all

#12 Sep 27, 2013
BrotherMoon wrote:
You are missing the point. Like you said, with or without a drug, nobody knows what he could or would have slept through

My experience with melatonin is not due to bias. It is due to experience. Melatonin was never effective IMO for me or anyone I know either but that doesn't mean it is NOT effective for some.

That said, it is a moot point anyway. Whether he took one or two or ten, we don't know that to be true, evidence or not. Yes, it is FORMAL evidence, but that doesn't make it REAL evidence. The bottom line is that he said he heard nothing and I believe him because I don't believe he was sleeping at all and if he slept at all, it was a short nap after they were through getting the scene ready for the debut of the most important performance of their lives

It is testimony and if you want to go by the EVIDENCE, John also said that nobody in the family was responsible for this death. THAT is evidence also, yet you dismiss it.

You can't have it both ways when it is convenient

BrotherMoon

Not Boulder, Co.

#13 Sep 27, 2013
I have always said John said he looked at Patsy and didn't see anyone evil enough to do what was done to JonBenet.

Where did I ever dismiss him saying no one in the family did it?

BrotherMoon

Not Boulder, Co.

#14 Sep 27, 2013
TT: How did you sleep Christmas night?

JR: I took a Melatonin tablet because I wanted to get to sleep fast because we had to get up early, and I slept through the night.

I stand corrected.
candy

East Lansing, MI

#15 Sep 27, 2013
I don't believe, and I have never believed John's statement about the melatonin. It will put you out but you are not unconscious. It's not propofol "milk of amnesia", not even close.

He's also a person who used drugs in the form of tobacco (cigars) and whiskey and who knows what else, so why would melatonin have such a powerful effect on him. He probably used allergy medicine and other things for allergies for years as well.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#16 Sep 27, 2013
The first time I took melatonin, I became very woozy and warm all over. The next few times I took it, nothing. Like you, BrotherM, I take antihistamine.

“May you all come home”

safely Bless you all

#17 Sep 28, 2013
The point is moot. Without drug test, which should have been done as routine in cases like this, it won't matter what he took or said he took

Melatonin is over the counter and there is no way to prove one way or the other whether he took one or not without blood tests.

The blood tests would have been important to see what "other" drugs or alcohol were present in the blood and also would have been able to tell how long it was in the system by the strength.

It may have shown that either parent took a valium, alcohol, etc. during the time they stated they were sleeping and that would have helped with the timeline of events.

In many cases, the bloodwork can show the approximate time substances were ingested

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#18 Sep 28, 2013
I take Melatonin regularly and it's not nearly as strong as a sleeping pill, narcotic, or antihistamine. Nor does it matter how much you take whether it be 3mg or 20mg the effects are the same. Melatonin only works for about a half hour to an hour as well so if you are not asleep by then you might as well have not taken it. What I'm trying to say is that while the dreams are interesting and the effect is immediate, it does not last. Nor do you wake up groggy and disoriented. John could have taken the whole bottle and been of sound mind and completely awake an hour after he took it whether or not he was woken up or didn't sleep at all.
tracker

Tullahoma, TN

#19 Sep 28, 2013
I take Melatonin at times and go into a deep sleep for a good 6-7 hours and wake up feeling rested and refreshed. All of the OTC and prescription sleep aids make me sleep longer and I feel very groggy the next morning.

BrotherMoon

Not Boulder, Co.

#20 Sep 29, 2013

Melatonin Side Effects

Melatonin helps to control the natural sleep-wake cycle of the human body. The natural levels of melatonin in the blood is highest at the time before bedtime. Melatonin is a hormone which can affect other processes inside the body. Persons at high risk of getting side effects from melatonin are those with liver disease, seizures, depression, kidney disease and high blood pressure.

The long term side effects of Melatonin is still unknown. Melatonin’s long term safety has also not been established. There are some concerns about melatonin use being associated with retinal damage.

If you want to take melatonin supplements, melatonin side effects may include:

■Sleepiness during daytime
■Feeling Dizzy
■Headaches
■Gastric disturbance and abdominal discomfort
■Confusion
■Sleepwalking
■Vivid dreams or Vivid Nightmares
■Mental or Mood Changes
■Lowering of body temperature
■Decreased libido
■Breast enlargement in men (gynecomastia)
■Decreased sperm count
Cardiovascular Side Effects of Melatonin

Melatonin may be able to lower blood pressure, this is should be considered for anyone taking medications to control blood pressure. The National Institute of Health also reports that melatonin may increase cholesterol levels. This means that people having high cholesterol levels, atherosclerosis and/or at risk for cardiovascular disease should be careful about taking melatonin supplements. There are individuals that experienced abnormal heart rhythms when they are are using melatonin. Melatonin supplements may also affect the clotting of blood. People that are taking anticoagulants and/or have blood clotting disorders maybe in danger if they use melatonin supplements.

Side Effects of Melatonin on Blood Sugar
There are type-1 Diabetic patients that developed high blood sugar levels when using melatonin supplements.

Side Effects of Melatonin on Reproductive System and Pregnancy
Decreased sperm count and motility is also reported as one of the side effects of melatonin in men. There are also reports of breast enlargement in men. Melatonin may decrease the fertility in women thus melatonin should not be used by anyone who are planning to become pregnant. Pregnant women should never take melatonin because of the risk of developmental disorders. Lactating women should not take melatonin because melatonin can be transferred to the baby via breast milk.

Hormonal Side Effects of Melatonin

Hormonal effects are also associated with the use of melatonin supplements. This includes increase or decrease in thyroid hormone, growth hormone, prolactin, progesterone, estradiol, cortisol and others.

Persons who are taking melatonin should be extra careful when doing daytime activities like driving and operating heavy machineries. If taking of melatonin supplement makes you feel drowsy, you should not drive or operate any kind of machinery when you are taking it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

JonBenet Ramsey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jameson re simons (Jan '08) 45 min stoned luck aka ... 49
In Touch Weekly on the JonBenet Ramsey case 52 min stoned luck aka ... 102
20th anniversary: JonBenet Ramsey case 12 hr stoned luck aka ... 29
InTouch and Enquirer this week 14 hr CowboysRule 11
News Suspect once investigated in JonBenet Ramsey mu... 15 hr CowboysRule 1
News Clooney's restraining order 15 hr Here is what I 21
News Twenty Times the JonBenet Ramsey Murder Has Bee... 17 hr stoned luck aka ... 8
More from around the web