Can DNA in CODIS determine race/ethni...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#24 Dec 28, 2013
Bakatari wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Candy,
You are correct at present. At this time in DNA technology, we cannot definitively determine race. However, DNA science has improved to the point where they can make an "educated guess" as to the race of the contributor.
In the future, we MIGHT be able to determine race, but there would still be another major problem with people who come from mixed races or ethnic. Most African Americans in the United States have some Caucasian ancestry in their backgrounds. This would complicate the matter greatly.
What CAN be determined using DNA would be gender, and blood type, and parenthood. This, of course, is if you have the profiles that show these things.
CC
I was watching the news yesterday and there is a young woman who is an artist. What she has done is walk the streets and pick up cigarette butts and other materials that may contain DNA. She then does an artist rendition of what the person may look like

She has a lab, runs the DNA and while they can NOT determine race in any "specific" manner, they can make a fairly good determination of ancestry. They cannot determine age either so all of her "art" is made with a 20-30 years of age range. She uses a 3D imager and makes the faces.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/vi deo?id=9374130&pid=9372777

You can watch this when you put the link together.

Since: Feb 12

San Diego, CA

#25 Dec 28, 2013
Capricorn wrote:
<quoted text>
I was watching the news yesterday and there is a young woman who is an artist. What she has done is walk the streets and pick up cigarette butts and other materials that may contain DNA. She then does an artist rendition of what the person may look like
She has a lab, runs the DNA and while they can NOT determine race in any "specific" manner, they can make a fairly good determination of ancestry. They cannot determine age either so all of her "art" is made with a 20-30 years of age range. She uses a 3D imager and makes the faces.
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/vi deo?id=9374130&pid=9372777
You can watch this when you put the link together.
Hi Capricorn,
What you have seen in the news is something similar to a psychic taking an item belonging to its contributor and "guessing" things about that person. DNA really has nothing to do with it as far ad "DNA science".

My cousin, who claims to be a psychic, helped solve a murder case in the Bay Area in San Francisco. She drew a picture of the perpetrator, and the resemblance was VERY good in comparison to the actual person. What I don't know, is if her imagination was very good at the time, or if she got lucky, or perhaps maybe she "cheated" somehow.

CC

“May you all come home”

Since: Mar 07

safely Bless you all

#26 Dec 29, 2013
Bakatari wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Capricorn,
What you have seen in the news is something similar to a psychic taking an item belonging to its contributor and "guessing" things about that person. DNA really has nothing to do with it as far ad "DNA science".
My cousin, who claims to be a psychic, helped solve a murder case in the Bay Area in San Francisco. She drew a picture of the perpetrator, and the resemblance was VERY good in comparison to the actual person. What I don't know, is if her imagination was very good at the time, or if she got lucky, or perhaps maybe she "cheated" somehow.
CC
Hi CC

You are overall correct in your assumptions of imagination, etc. and while that is true in some cases that it is totally left up to luck or imagination like a psychic, what this woman does can be and has been tested.

She has made "art" with KNOWN people's DNA (not knowing who she was depicting). It's not exact, but this has been tested. Of course this has been tested as "art" and not forensics. She cannot determine age or exact features, but just an overall picture if you will.

There would be nothing to lose in trying and even if it were left up to imagination, I suspect it would look about as specific as "sketchman" LOL

I just thought it was interesting what can be done and what may be able to be done in the future. I don't think it has any real forensic value at this time, but it's something to think about somewhere down the line.

Since: Feb 12

San Diego, CA

#27 Dec 29, 2013
Capricorn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi CC
You are overall correct in your assumptions of imagination, etc. and while that is true in some cases that it is totally left up to luck or imagination like a psychic, what this woman does can be and has been tested.
She has made "art" with KNOWN people's DNA (not knowing who she was depicting). It's not exact, but this has been tested. Of course this has been tested as "art" and not forensics. She cannot determine age or exact features, but just an overall picture if you will.
There would be nothing to lose in trying and even if it were left up to imagination, I suspect it would look about as specific as "sketchman" LOL
I just thought it was interesting what can be done and what may be able to be done in the future. I don't think it has any real forensic value at this time, but it's something to think about somewhere down the line.
Hi Cap,
I do know that there are some people with psychic abilities as fact. However, even with some who have "good credentials", most are phony. I know in the JBR case, Smit hired a psychic and that psychic "confirmed" the point of entry being the basement window, and the "stun gun" which for all practical purposes, were proven to be wrong.

My cousin told me that we all have some psychic abilities, but most do not know how to harness them, so many of us "see, or hear" things but cannot explain them, not can they get these phenomenons at will. THAT, I do believe, as I think it happened to me, yet I could not control what I experienced, or explain it.

Anyway, DNA is an "exact science". If you have a full profile, only a person from an identical multiple birth will have the exact same DNA.
CC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

JonBenet Ramsey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do so many RDI's think Burke did it (Sep '10) 47 min Just Wondering 702
Hour of Power 2 hr Let It Snow 7
Global child pornography ring bust (Aug '11) 2 hr Let It Snow 14
John Ramsey and Child Pornography (Nov '14) 2 hr Let It Snow 59
Stan Garnett resigning effective late Feb. 4 hr Verbil 15
News Biggest police error over JonBenet revealed by ... (Dec '16) 4 hr Let It Snow 13
News JonBenet Ramsey grand jury dismissed after prob... (Mar '17) 4 hr Let It Snow 14
More from around the web