Elvira Arellano: From Undocumented Immigrant to International Activist

Jan 18, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Little Green Footballs

She crossed the border illegally, like thousands of Mexicans do every year, to find work.

Comments
1 - 20 of 1,057 Comments Last updated Apr 17, 2014
First Prev
of 53
Next Last
Ronnie

Brigham City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 18, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

2

She needs to leave, she not America, she has no right to advocate in a foreign country...Go the hell home.....7899
wild child

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 18, 2014
 
Ronnie wrote:
She needs to leave, she not America, she has no right to advocate in a foreign country...Go the hell home.....7899
lmao.you are right.they all need to get the hell out
Level 5

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 18, 2014
 

Judged:

4

3

2

I'm glad she found her voice, in her own country. Hopefully she stays there, chances are she'll send her son back to US for an American taxpayer-funded college education though. Unless she abandoned him here, its entirely possible.

Why would Time name her person of the year? That, no doubt, marked the decline of the magazine's "Person of the Year" award credibility.
Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 18, 2014
 

Judged:

1

She should be working to reform the Mexican government and not worry about other countries outside of Mexico.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 18, 2014
 
From criminal to international terrorist.
Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 19, 2014
 
Holla Isabella wrote:
Elvira Arellano, mother, activist, politician, splc.
Me, as a US citizen, don't care. She's where she belongs. Who is this person anyway?
Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"Arellano entered the United States illegally in 1997 and was apprehended and deported back to Mexico by the United States government.[1] She returned within days and lived illegally for three years in Oregon.[2] In 1999, she gave birth to a son, Saul Arellano, whose father remains unnamed by Elvira. Saul is a United States citizen. In 2000, Arellano moved to Chicago and worked as a cleaning woman at O'Hare International Airport.[1] In 2002, following a post-September 11 security sweep, she was arrested and convicted of Social Security fraud.[1] Arellano was ordered to appear before immigration authorities on August 15, 2006.[2] On that date she took refuge in the Adalberto United Methodist church in the Humboldt Park area of Chicago, which maintained it was a sanctuary for illegal aliens. Before that, she sought safe haven for a year in Amor De Dios United Methodist Church with Pastor Josť S. Landaverde, who begun the new immigrant sanctuary movement in Illinois.[3]

On November 14, 2006, in Mexico City, Saul Arellano appeared before the Congress of Mexico.[4] The Mexican lawmakers passed a resolution to urge the United States government to suspend the deportation of Arellano and other parents of children who are United States citizens.

She was arrested on August 19, 2007 in Los Angeles. Within hours of her arrest Arellano was repatriated to Mexico by U.S. federal agents in compliance with an existing deportation order. She was accompanied to the Mexican border by an official of the Mexican consulate in San Diego, California, as well as by agents of the U.S. government."

Another illegal alien who can not stay within the law. These are not honorable people. Why do these illegal aliens think because their children are US citizens they get a pass to stay in the country. BTW according to the 14th amendment children of illegal aliens are not born US citizens. This is something else the federal government does not enforce.

“The End Of America Coming Soon”

Level 4

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

If she's so concerned, maybe Arellano should spend her time and energy on trying to change her own country for the sake of her fellow countrymen.

I don't understand why Mexican citizens think they have a right to protest and demand special treatment in the U.S.

I am convinced that access to benefits and welfare programs are the magnets that lure illegals here in the first place. Of course, birthright citizenship is one of the biggest problems contributing to the illegal immigration problem as well. It is the loophole illegals take full advantage of in order to open the door to those benefit

End birthright citizenship, punish employers who hire illegals, make it impossible for illegals to collect free stuff, enforce laws to the fullest extent and illegal immigration will come to a quick halt.
Anonymous

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

2

1

1

ugh. seriously guys? i don't know why "Mexicans" would come to US in first place but i imagine work, because they underpayed or family was poor to give them education, American people have this mentality that Mexico is dirty and poor (i don't know why) i was raised in Polanco (rich neighborhood in Mexico City) i was given a top notch education and i'm from European descent, When ever i go out to shopping malls here in oregon people ask me on my spanish accent if i'm from Spain, i give a smile and say no Mexico, People immedietly tell me you don't look "Mexican i thought you were white" I am white Nationality doesn't make your race or how smart you are, i am currently studying at Oregon Uni. i get people surprised all the time with me being a Mexican National...We have social security and benefits also but odd thing is they don't take advantage of them and decide to go to US and work instead which i admire greatly.. and from the statistic realised by US.gov the deportation of mexicans in criminal acts are usually minor offences i don't remember the exact percentage you look it up... my point is Mexico is not terrible it's just like any other country and before any of you tell me to go back to mexico remember 1million americans are residing in my country mostly for studies,business,and retirement.. I am residing in the US because of studies
Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

1

I love this:

"she was arrested and convicted of Social Security fraud." a felon.

Now she's a jailhouse lawyer. These are the illegal alien's heroes.
Anonymous

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 19, 2014
 
spytheweb wrote:
I love this:
"she was arrested and convicted of Social Security fraud." a felon.
Now she's a jailhouse lawyer. These are the illegal alien's heroes.
Source of this information?

and it's a generalization shes the illegals hero
Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

2

Ignorant_Mexican wrote:
<quoted text>
Source of this information?
and it's a generalization shes the illegals hero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvira_Arellano

That's just it, she's not a hero at all, she's a convicted felon. a International Activist is just another name for a illegal alien supporter who supports illegal aliens who are not even in her country.

“Club Fed or Camp Cupcake?”

Since: Oct 10

White-Collar Minimum-Security

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 19, 2014
 
just a guy i knew wrote:
From criminal to international terrorist.
Person of the Year 2006
http://content.time.com/time/specials/package...
Elvira Arellano, 31, has one thing in common with many of the Christians who took refuge in medieval Europe's churches and cathedrals: she has broken the law. Nine years ago, she strolled through an untended turnstile on the U.S.-Mexico border and began the life of an undocumented worker. In the time since, she has had a son, Saul, now 8 years old, by law a U.S. citizen. In 2002, Arellano was arrested in a sweep of O'Hare International Airport for workers with false Social Security numbers.(She was earning $6.50 an hour for cleaning planes.) Sentenced to three years' probation for Social Security fraud, she was issued a deportation order. She pursued several legal reprieves, and when the last one failed on Aug. 15, she sought sanctuary in the church. She says she will not take her son back to a country she gave up for a better life; nor will she leave him to fend for himself in the U.S. "It's wrong to split up families. I'm fighting for my son, not for myself. It's a matter of principle. I don't want him treated like garbage," she says, adding, "I am a mom and a worker. I am not a terrorist."
Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

1

"Arellano has had a federal deportation order against her since 2002. She was first deported from the United States in 1997 after attempting to cross the border with fake papers. She illegally re-entered the country and was arrested in December 2002 while working at O'Hare Airport under a false Social Security number."

http://vanishingamerican.blogspot.com/2007/08...

She was already been deported once, the second time made it a felony and then she commits SS fraud. Then she has a FTA for a deportation order. Illegal alien crimes just snowball.
Level 5

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Ignorant_Mexican wrote:
ugh. seriously guys? i don't know why "Mexicans" would come to US in first place but i imagine work, because they underpayed or family was poor to give them education, American people have this mentality that Mexico is dirty and poor (i don't know why) i was raised in Polanco (rich neighborhood in Mexico City) i was given a top notch education and i'm from European descent, When ever i go out to shopping malls here in oregon people ask me on my spanish accent if i'm from Spain, i give a smile and say no Mexico, People immedietly tell me you don't look "Mexican i thought you were white" I am white Nationality doesn't make your race or how smart you are, i am currently studying at Oregon Uni. i get people surprised all the time with me being a Mexican National...We have social security and benefits also but odd thing is they don't take advantage of them and decide to go to US and work instead which i admire greatly.. and from the statistic realised by US.gov the deportation of mexicans in criminal acts are usually minor offences i don't remember the exact percentage you look it up... my point is Mexico is not terrible it's just like any other country and before any of you tell me to go back to mexico remember 1million americans are residing in my country mostly for studies,business,and retirement.. I am residing in the US because of studies
What college are you supposedly attending?

I can't imagine that bio of yours being legit. Anyway, when Mexico reaches 12 million illegal alien Americans living in Mexico, having children, using up social resources, committing fraud and taking jobs from Mexicans, then you'll see what the big dust-up is all about.
Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 19, 2014
 
Agents of Corruption wrote:
<quoted text>
Person of the Year 2006
http://content.time.com/time/specials/package...
Elvira Arellano, 31, has one thing in common with many of the Christians who took refuge in medieval Europe's churches and cathedrals: she has broken the law. Nine years ago, she strolled through an untended turnstile on the U.S.-Mexico border and began the life of an undocumented worker. In the time since, she has had a son, Saul, now 8 years old, by law a U.S. citizen. In 2002, Arellano was arrested in a sweep of O'Hare International Airport for workers with false Social Security numbers.(She was earning $6.50 an hour for cleaning planes.) Sentenced to three years' probation for Social Security fraud, she was issued a deportation order. She pursued several legal reprieves, and when the last one failed on Aug. 15, she sought sanctuary in the church. She says she will not take her son back to a country she gave up for a better life; nor will she leave him to fend for himself in the U.S. "It's wrong to split up families. I'm fighting for my son, not for myself. It's a matter of principle. I don't want him treated like garbage," she says, adding, "I am a mom and a worker. I am not a terrorist."
"It seems to me that the good folks at ICE and DHS finally got one right. This woman is a repeat offender,(using false/forged documents and repeatedly entering illegally) blasting our nation in the media, and is now being made the poster child for all the "poor, law-abiding illegals" who "just want a better life," U.S. laws be damned. Hmmm, if you want a better life, give up fraud, illegal entry and refusing to follow court orders. It's that easy."

http://copthetruth.typepad.com/cop_the_truth/...

She was deported in 1997. Coming back again made her a felon whether or not she had 10 children there's no way she could stay.
Level 5

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

1

I wonder if that cleaning company that hired her in Chicago still has a contract with O'Hare? That would be a problem, since they don't properly screen their employees, and this is a high-risk area.
Anonymous

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

1

OneRepublic, University of Oregon in Eugene Studying Political Science, The rest believe it or not either way works for me..I know who i am, and as for this woman Austien, AstonMartin, or whatever the hell her name is i never heard of her, and in my Opinion as a mexican *sigh* is it really that hard for her to go to any council and apply for a visa or something?
Level 5

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ignorant_Mexican wrote:
OneRepublic, University of Oregon in Eugene Studying Political Science, The rest believe it or not either way works for me..I know who i am, and as for this woman Austien, AstonMartin, or whatever the hell her name is i never heard of her, and in my Opinion as a mexican *sigh* is it really that hard for her to go to any council and apply for a visa or something?
It was hard to make sense of your post because it was one long, running paragraph. I'm curious as to why you chose to study Poly Sci in Oregon. What incentives to they give foreign students?
Level 5

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 19, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Typically, rich Mexicans don't study at state universities in the US. There are other universities that offer superior educations.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 53
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••