Obama puts immigration back in spotlight

Obama puts immigration back in spotlight

There are 104 comments on the WTAE-TV Pittsburgh story from Oct 24, 2013, titled Obama puts immigration back in spotlight. In it, WTAE-TV Pittsburgh reports that:

Once you're logged in, at the top of each article, video or slideshow you will see a list of your Facebook friends who recently visited Choose to share stories you'e read with your friends or turn sharing OFF to keep your reading experience anonymous .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTAE-TV Pittsburgh.

Mayela

Locust Grove, GA

#94 Nov 22, 2013
The Founding Immigrants

“Few of their children in the country learn English... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious.”

Voicing this grievance was Benjamin Franklin. And the language so vexing to him was the German spoken by new arrivals to Pennsylvania in the 1750s, a wave of immigrants whom Franklin viewed as the “most stupid of their nation.”

“the whole country is being flooded with ordinary, extraordinary and unprecedented wickedness and crimes.... Oh, what a fearful thing it is to have so many thousands of unruly and brazen sinners come into this free air and unfenced country.”
Lutheran minister named Henry Muhlenberg, himself a recent arrival from Germany

These German masses yearning to breathe free were not the only targets of colonial fear and loathing.

Ben Franklin was also troubled by the British practice of dumping its felons on America. With typical Franklin wit, he proposed sending rattlesnakes to Britain in return.(This did not, however, preclude numerous colonists from purchasing these convicts as indentured servants.)

And still earlier in Pennsylvania, the Scotch-Irish had bred discontent, as their penchant for squatting on choice real estate ran headlong against the colony’s founders, the Penn family, and their genteel notions about who should own what.

Often, the disdain for the foreign was inflamed by religion.

Boston’s Puritans hanged several Friends after a Bay Colony ban on Quakerism.

In Virginia, the Anglicans arrested Baptists.

Scratch the surface of the current immigration debate and beneath the posturing lies a dirty secret. Anti-immigrant sentiment is older than America itself. Born before the nation, this abiding fear of the “huddled masses” emerged in the early republic and gathered steam into the 19th and 20th centuries, when nativist political parties, exclusionary laws and the Ku Klux Klan swept the land.

As we celebrate another Fourth of July, this picture of American intolerance clashes sharply with tidy schoolbook images of the great melting pot. Why has the land of “all men are created equal” forged countless ghettoes and intricate networks of social exclusion? Why the signs reading “No Irish Need Apply”? And why has each new generation of immigrants had to face down a rich glossary of now unmentionable epithets? Disdain for what is foreign is, sad to say, as American as apple pie, slavery and lynching.

That fence along the Mexican border now being contemplated by Congress is just the latest vestige of a venerable tradition, at least as old as John Jay’s “wall of brass.”“Don’t fence me in” might be America’s unofficial anthem of unfettered freedom, but too often the subtext is,“Fence everyone else out.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/opinion/03d...

Truth gives a short answer; lies go round about. German.
http://www.bartleby.com/89/1817.html

"Riiiiight" Dr. Evil
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#95 Nov 22, 2013
spud wrote:
<quoted text>I love the idea that Obama wants to work with Republicans to incrementally change our immigration laws. Let's start with adopting Everify for all employment, housing and government assistance. This must include strict enforcement and severe penalties for infractions. After six months we can take the next step. That would be to deny birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens. After another six months we could revisit the issue. Of course, that means our gutless politicians would have to stand up to big business, religion and unions who all profit off cheap illegal foreign labor. Let's see if they have the courage and patriotism to do what's right.
While I doubt it would happen the way you propose incremental change makes sense. Obamacare should be warning enough that passing major legislative changes without any clue to the effects of those changes is foolish. We have a major problem with the COST of MEDICAL CARE in this country yet rather than trying to fix the problem the government tries to totally reinvent the health INSURANCE industry in an effort to reduce the cost of insurance not the cost of healthcare. The result predictably is a massive failure that all of the experts say will have the opposite effect on the cost of medical care.
We have a problem with illegal immigration but rather than fixing the problem lawmakers propose granting amnesty to 11 to 30 million known criminals and totally reinventing the immigration system with a massive piece of legislation that nobody knows what effect it will have.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#96 Nov 22, 2013
An d with each successive wave the country fills up a little more. The roads are a little more crowded. Hospital services area little more strained. Population is a little more compressed. Food fuel must be imported. More Housing must be built. Crime rates go up. Were told we must stretch our tolerance more to accommodate the new arrivals. Ahhhh Life just gets better and better! You Twit!
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
Mayela wrote:
The Founding Immigrants
“Few of their children in the country learn English... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious.”
Voicing this grievance was Benjamin Franklin. And the language so vexing to him was the German spoken by new arrivals to Pennsylvania in the 1750s, a wave of immigrants whom Franklin viewed as the “most stupid of their nation.”
“the whole country is being flooded with ordinary, extraordinary and unprecedented wickedness and crimes.... Oh, what a fearful thing it is to have so many thousands of unruly and brazen sinners come into this free air and unfenced country.”
Lutheran minister named Henry Muhlenberg, himself a recent arrival from Germany
These German masses yearning to breathe free were not the only targets of colonial fear and loathing.
Ben Franklin was also troubled by the British practice of dumping its felons on America. With typical Franklin wit, he proposed sending rattlesnakes to Britain in return.(This did not, however, preclude numerous colonists from purchasing these convicts as indentured servants.)
And still earlier in Pennsylvania, the Scotch-Irish had bred discontent, as their penchant for squatting on choice real estate ran headlong against the colony’s founders, the Penn family, and their genteel notions about who should own what.
Often, the disdain for the foreign was inflamed by religion.
Boston’s Puritans hanged several Friends after a Bay Colony ban on Quakerism.
In Virginia, the Anglicans arrested Baptists.
Scratch the surface of the current immigration debate and beneath the posturing lies a dirty secret. Anti-immigrant sentiment is older than America itself. Born before the nation, this abiding fear of the “huddled masses” emerged in the early republic and gathered steam into the 19th and 20th centuries, when nativist political parties, exclusionary laws and the Ku Klux Klan swept the land.
As we celebrate another Fourth of July, this picture of American intolerance clashes sharply with tidy schoolbook images of the great melting pot. Why has the land of “all men are created equal” forged countless ghettoes and intricate networks of social exclusion? Why the signs reading “No Irish Need Apply”? And why has each new generation of immigrants had to face down a rich glossary of now unmentionable epithets? Disdain for what is foreign is, sad to say, as American as apple pie, slavery and lynching.
That fence along the Mexican border now being contemplated by Congress is just the latest vestige of a venerable tradition, at least as old as John Jay’s “wall of brass.”“Don’t fence me in” might be America’s unofficial anthem of unfettered freedom, but too often the subtext is,“Fence everyone else out.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/opinion/03d...
Truth gives a short answer; lies go round about. German.
http://www.bartleby.com/89/1817.html
"Riiiiight" Dr. Evil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =37OWL7AzvHoXX
spud

Blakeslee, PA

#97 Nov 22, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
While I doubt it would happen the way you propose incremental change makes sense. Obamacare should be warning enough that passing major legislative changes without any clue to the effects of those changes is foolish. We have a major problem with the COST of MEDICAL CARE in this country yet rather than trying to fix the problem the government tries to totally reinvent the health INSURANCE industry in an effort to reduce the cost of insurance not the cost of healthcare. The result predictably is a massive failure that all of the experts say will have the opposite effect on the cost of medical care.
We have a problem with illegal immigration but rather than fixing the problem lawmakers propose granting amnesty to 11 to 30 million known criminals and totally reinventing the immigration system with a massive piece of legislation that nobody knows what effect it will have.
You're right and I do realize that there's little chance of them doing what I said because they're too gutless to put country ahead of money and party. The Democratic party would definitely benefit electorally from amnesty but it baffles me that the Republican leadership thinks it would help them as well. NWO neocon idiots.
Jesus Malverde

United States

#98 Nov 22, 2013
spud wrote:
<quoted text>You're right and I do realize that there's little chance of them doing what I said because they're too gutless to put country ahead of money and party. The Democratic party would definitely benefit electorally from amnesty but it baffles me that the Republican leadership thinks it would help them as well. NWO neocon idiots.
Agree. We need more tea-baggers like Trey Radel (R-Fla) in congress.

Oh wait, he's going to be doing time for cocaine possession.
Oldglory

Coachella, CA

#99 Nov 22, 2013
Jesus Malverde wrote:
<quoted text>
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The Democrats have enough dirty laundry in their own closets but of course you liberal lefties and ethnocentrics don't want to talk about that, do you?

It isn't only the teaparty (not teabaggers) that oppose amnesty but all law abiding Americans on both sides of the aisle.
Jesus Malverde

Rio Rancho, NM

#100 Nov 22, 2013
Oldglory wrote:
<quoted text>
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The Democrats have enough dirty laundry in their own closets but of course you liberal lefties and ethnocentrics don't want to talk about that, do you?
It isn't only the teaparty (not teabaggers) that oppose amnesty but all law abiding Americans on both sides of the aisle.
It's not about stones or laundry. It's about hypocrisy and how those like Trey Radel, Larry Craig, Mark Sanford and other Republican teabaggers who falsely espouse family values, Christian values, blah, blah. They vehemently oppose women's equality, same sex marriage, abortion, all the while they're tapping their toes (literally and figuratively) in the Airport men's room so they can get some homosexual loving or some such.

I'd rather have a fluff like Barney Frank prancing about in public with his boy toy any day. At least I know he's honest and not trying to tell me how much morally superior he is.

I don't exactly what "aisle" you're talking about, but it sure ain't the political aisle in DC, coz, as spuds says, both sides are guilty of de facto condoning illegal immigration for their own agendas.
spud

Blakeslee, PA

#101 Nov 22, 2013
Jesus Malverde wrote:
<quoted text>
Trey should have his government check taken away. He voted to drug test welfare recipients so that should also apply to him.. I bet he says somebody, probably a Democrat, planted that stuff there. Anyway, I really don't care what people do unless it hurts someone else. We sure do waste a lot of money locking up all those dangerous potheads, eh?
Oldglory

Coachella, CA

#102 Nov 22, 2013
Jesus Malverde wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about stones or laundry. It's about hypocrisy and how those like Trey Radel, Larry Craig, Mark Sanford and other Republican teabaggers who falsely espouse family values, Christian values, blah, blah. They vehemently oppose women's equality, same sex marriage, abortion, all the while they're tapping their toes (literally and figuratively) in the Airport men's room so they can get some homosexual loving or some such.
I'd rather have a fluff like Barney Frank prancing about in public with his boy toy any day. At least I know he's honest and not trying to tell me how much morally superior he is.
I don't exactly what "aisle" you're talking about, but it sure ain't the political aisle in DC, coz, as spuds says, both sides are guilty of de facto condoning illegal immigration for their own agendas.
I couldn't care less about the fringe element of either party because they are the minority in their respective parties. However, the left just loves to stereotype the right/GOP as all cut from the same cloth. It is blatantly dishonest and they do it because they want to demonize the entire party. Congratulations you didn't disappoint you fell in lock step with their typical agenda.

I don't know of any GOPers that oppose women's rights. Yes, many do oppose abortion because they are pro-life. Is that a sin? Yes, many oppose a traditional marriage for gays but have no problem with a civil union. Is that a sin? I guess so if you are a leftist, liberal and it doesn't fit with their viewpoint. I thought we lived in a democracy where we are all allowed our own opinions.

I find it laughable that you continue to bring out the few idiots on the right, hypocrites or not, but fail to mention Clinton, Edwards and some others on the left that did despicable things while in office also.
Oldglory

Coachella, CA

#103 Nov 22, 2013
I find both Democrats and Republicans who are for amnesty despicable no matter what their motives are. However, it is mostly the Democrats aka Obama that is pushing it. Some of the fools on the right actually think if they give away our country to illegal aliens and their supporters they will gain the Hispanic vote. They couldn't be more wrong. They need to continue to pander to law abiding citizens whom make up the majority in this country. As for the other social issues it is what it is. Different ideals and I would never sacrifice my ideals for anyone or anything.

“Reconquista Ahora!”

Since: Apr 13

Tijuana MX

#104 Nov 22, 2013
What I find crazy funny is a southern conservative repug white dude named "Trey". Now that's a side-splitter.

“Reconquista Ahora!”

Since: Apr 13

Tijuana MX

#105 Nov 22, 2013
Oldglory wrote:
I find both Democrats and Republicans who are for amnesty despicable no matter what their motives are. However, it is mostly the Democrats aka Obama that is pushing it. Some of the fools on the right actually think if they give away our country to illegal aliens and their supporters they will gain the Hispanic vote. They couldn't be more wrong. They need to continue to pander to law abiding citizens whom make up the majority in this country. As for the other social issues it is what it is. Different ideals and I would never sacrifice my ideals for anyone or anything.
Obama is doing what he's doing for the same reasons that John Boner is holding up immigration reform. Although Obama's reasons are on the left as extreme as Boner's is to the right. Ultimately, he doesn't really care about Hispanic votes coz he can no longer run for office.

Obama wants to go down in history as the President that has had the most influence on American history and his election times two, Obama-care, immigration reform, the stopping of the Bush war legacy have given him a lot of reasons to lay claim to that legacy. Good or bad, only history will tell.

The really funny thing is the GOP are so bewildered by Obama's strategy, that that alone is worth the price of admission.
Oldglory

Coachella, CA

#106 Nov 22, 2013
Obama can't run for the presidency in 2016 again but he thinks he is paving the way for a new Democrat president in the next election with his policies. We'll see about that. I think many people will be fed up with Obamacare, pushing an amnesty, etc. by then.
spud

Blakeslee, PA

#107 Nov 22, 2013
Oldglory wrote:
I'm with you all the way, my brother. If the Republican party wants to survive, I think their best shot is to go populist. Cater to the voter and skip the corruption of K street. The Rs will lose the power game because the Dems will give everything to everybody regardless of the fiscal irresponsibility. The Rs need to harness the power of responsible Americans while they're still the majority. Either do that or slowly fade into oblivion.
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#108 Nov 24, 2013
well if Obama handles it then only 6 illegal aliens will cross the border out of every 47million
spud

Blakeslee, PA

#109 Nov 24, 2013
Storm Warning wrote:
well if Obama handles it then only 6 illegal aliens will cross the border out of every 47million
It's more like Obama will catch 6 illegal aliens out of 47 million and he wouldn't even catch them if he had his way.
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#110 Nov 24, 2013
Why dont you know ? the liberals and Ryan all say that their illegal progeny sucking on the American Taxpayers for an education are ''our brightest and best'' Obam would not know who the brightest and best were and are. See the Kenyan wonder took the most important archeological site in history Kennewec and had it buried to cover up the truth, oh he just didnt bury it he had thew sew coconut fiber (which destroys dna evidence) into logs and buried there with rubble to attempt to destroy the evidence that the original inhabitants of this continent, before the Siberian invasion, were all White. We have been lied to and our laws usurped by people who have always hated White America.

ronnie

Salt Lake City, UT

#111 Nov 24, 2013
Storm Warning wrote:
Why dont you know ? the liberals and Ryan all say that their illegal progeny sucking on the American Taxpayers for an education are ''our brightest and best'' Obam would not know who the brightest and best were and are. See the Kenyan wonder took the most important archeological site in history Kennewec and had it buried to cover up the truth, oh he just didnt bury it he had thew sew coconut fiber (which destroys dna evidence) into logs and buried there with rubble to attempt to destroy the evidence that the original inhabitants of this continent, before the Siberian invasion, were all White. We have been lied to and our laws usurped by people who have always hated White America.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Y4xCrYKFcI0XX
Interesting....I believe it might be true. The unfortunate truth in this World is racism is alive and well. All sides of the debate would rather pretend it isn't but it's still blatant against my heritage and race. Obsama/ Obama simply had the silver tongue and money to push his agenda into our lives. It's been done with importing illegals for stolen votes and seizing power from guess Who? Whites.
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#112 Nov 24, 2013
Depend on what you mean by racism, see I think its racism for the government to have quotas, forced busing and affirmative action.
spud

Blakeslee, PA

#113 Nov 25, 2013
Obama would like to put anything but Obamacare back in the spotlight. Lets face it, the guy is full of stupid ideas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has Donald Trump Already Failed Us? (Nov '16) 1 min george 10,909
Should Katrina be banned? 10 min Well Well 232
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 38 min Just Slim 147,662
News Three Children Among 25 Undocumented Immigrants... 1 hr Red Crosse 26
Is George a lonley troll who needs a man? 6 hr Quirky 19
News Here's My Dream: Deport the Illegal Alien "Nigh... 9 hr Not My President 2
News Longmont City Council to consider DACA support ... 9 hr Mo Betta 1
More from around the web