The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 409654 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#180893 Sep 7, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
Reuters isn't buying Kerry's guesstimate either.
Kerry Portrait of Syria Rebels at Odds with Intelligence Reports
(Reuters)- Secretary of State John Kerry's public assertions that moderate Syrian opposition groups are growing in influence appear to be at odds with estimates by U.S. and European intelligence sources and nongovernmental experts, who say Islamic extremists remain by far the fiercest and best-organized rebel elements.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/05/us-...
Did you notice how many "qualifiers" the authors of that opinion piece used?

"may be at odds" "may suggest"

Here are some of the facts that were buried inside the biased opinions...

"U.S. intelligence sources do not dispute that Islamic extremists are in the minority on the battlefield..."

"...Islamic extremist factions are not "spearheading the fight against the Syrian government," but rather that the struggle is being led by "moderate opposition forces."

"Several leading lawmakers, including Senator John McCain, Arizona Republican, also have said there is a viable moderate opposition in Syria that Washington should support."

"...only a small minority could accurately be characterized as extremist," one U.S. official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/05/us-...
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#180894 Sep 7, 2013
snidley whiplash wrote:
I admit I could be wrong about Obama's plan in Syria. But I certainly have a lot of company in not supporting it:
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/09/0...
It still seems strange to see a liberal who was "leading from behind" rushing headlong into war in a region he was busy abandoning. You can call it whatever you want, but it's war - that's for sure. You can't lob dozens of missiles into somebody else's country and assume they don't regard that as war.
They don't wear Che shirts for nothing. They always support the rebels.

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Concord, CA

#180895 Sep 7, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
You always get a little snippy when you get busted on your own hypocrisy.
Yup, I noticed that about POS also, Jax.

Then he'll slip into his pseudo-intellectual mode and don his "I'm the philosopher" here costume. LOL!

Level 6

Location hidden

#180896 Sep 7, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Kerry,one of the other buffoons in this administration,only about 10% of the rebel forces are extremists and the rest are moderate.
Last I knew even tempered people didn't take such an active role in rebellions.
If these people weren't so uninformed it might be laughable?
Most incompetent administration in history.
"Last I knew even tempered people didn't take such an active role in rebellions."

You ever heard of the American Revolution?
snidley whiplash

United States

#180897 Sep 7, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL..I hate when that happens.
Seriously, don't worry about the spelling, it's the ideas that are worth debating.
Too bad we can't edit these posts, but once we put it up there we're stuck with it. I figure as long as they can tell what I'm trying to say that's good enough.
I just think we're in a situation where not doing something now will mean we'll have to something bigger, more complicated and riskier in the future.
Some people are worried that if the Assad regime falls, extremists might get their hands on some of those chemical weapons, but what if he doesn't fall?
What if he succeeds in putting down the revolution and decides to give some of those chemical weapons to Hezbollah? Those extremists are fighting on his side right now and he has been a big supporter of that group for a long time.
Who do you think they will use them against?
The answer is Israel and that means we end up involved in a very complicated situation.
Or what if he doesn't give chemical weapons to Hezbollah? What if he puts down the revolution and the next time Israel is forced to make strikes against Hezbollah, Assad decides that the US and the international community are all bluff and no b*lls.
Would he launch a chemical attack against Israel (as he has threatened to do) to support his allies?
We have to make the petty dictators of the world understand that their are rules of conduct even in times of war and using weapons of mass destruction against civilian targets comes at such a high price that it simply isn't worth the risk.
I would feel a lot better if Obama would actually take this on honestly and outline ALL of those potential pitfalls that you've mention, including the possibility that this could actually blow up into a huge, real war. And that it could be a really nasty one with more nerve gas attacks before it's all over.

I'd also like to hear him clearly outline, in no uncertain terms, that Syria is a puppet of Iran and that Iran is the REAL enemy we are sending a message to. Their pursuit of nuclear weapons, unlike WMD's in Iraq, is not really in dispute. Those kinds of weapons make nerve gas look like kid's toys.

If we don't have that kind of openness and an honest debate, I fear Obama is not only fooling us, but, worse, also fooling himself. I still smell "amateur", especially when he keeps assuring us that his military advisers have assured him these delayed and well-telegraphed strikes will be "effective". How can anyone really know that? Effective at what?

He needs to tell us the truth: this is all speculation and subject to error, miscues and even utter failure. The enemy has a vote in how things play out. They may have a few surprises of their own in store. We might actually end up causing a worse disaster than Assad's nerve gas attack. There's no such thing as "surgical" attacks without collateral damage.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#180898 Sep 7, 2013
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>You mean just like you.
My private life is none of her business, or yours.
I have enough experience with the both of you to know how you and her try to twist everything everyone here says about their private life into a ridicule fest if it doesn't suit the far left agendas that you both hold so dear.
I have to thank you though Jax. I have learned much from your particular brand of snippyness and it has made me much more aware of just how you (and her) operate here and the tactics that you far left loons use.
Do you use human shields too?
Hahahhaha! Nobody CARES about your private life.

But you stated perfectly what YOU and your band of lowlife thugs have been doing on these threads for YEARS with other people's personal info.

"I have enough experience with the both of you to know how you and her try to twist everything everyone here says about their private life into a ridicule fest if it doesn't suit the far left agendas that you both hold so dear."

This is EXACTLY what you, GR, Quirky, Ferrell, Reality, and the rest of your scumbag friends have been doing here.

Project much, hypocrite and liar?

“Try Reuters.”

Level 8

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#180899 Sep 7, 2013

Level 6

Location hidden

#180900 Sep 7, 2013
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
If he uses chemical weapons against Israel, then there will be hell to pay from Israel.
How do we know if he used the weapons, or if the rebels used them just to draw us into the fight?
"I figure as long as they can tell what I'm trying to say that's good enough."
Exactly!!!
"How do we know if he used the weapons, or if the rebels used them just to draw us into the fight?"

As much as I've made it clear that I support military strikes against the Assad regime, I still think it is very important for the administration to put their case (and their proof) in front of the American people as plainly and honestly as possible.

If we don't have an airtight case that Assad was the one that used the chemical weapons, then we should not get involved and if it was the rebels we should be honest and up front about that evidence too.

The facts so far point at Assad and everyone from the UN to the European Union to the United States and even the Arab League are convinced that Assad is guilty.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#180904 Sep 7, 2013
snidley whiplash wrote:
I admit I could be wrong about Obama's plan in Syria. But I certainly have a lot of company in not supporting it:
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/09/0...
It still seems strange to see a liberal who was "leading from behind" rushing headlong into war in a region he was busy abandoning. You can call it whatever you want, but it's war - that's for sure. You can't lob dozens of missiles into somebody else's country and assume they don't regard that as war.
I'm trying to keep an open mind too about this whole fiasco, but I'm still not convinced that U.S. involvement in Syria is for the reasons Obama claims.

He seems to think he's dealing with rational, humane people who care about how they kill others and that just because the U.S. disapproves it's going to make some difference. It won't. These people are barbaric in their regard for human life, so we can't expect them to think and respond with compassion.

"Weapons of mass destruction" has become code for "Let's get involved in yet another foreign civil war. It's our duty."

I call bullchit.

"And that's not the world we want to live in?"

Who writes this crap for him?

"Failing to respond to this breach of this international norm would send a signal to rogue nations, authoritarian regimes and terrorist organizations that they can develop and use weapons of mass destruction and not pay a consequence," Obama said Friday during a news conference at the G-20 summit in St. Petersburg, Russia. "And that's not the world that we want to live in."
snidley whiplash

United States

#180905 Sep 7, 2013
Roger_Wilco wrote:
<quoted text>
Syria is not a two sided civil war. There are at least five players in that war who hate each other with a passion. We know from past experience in that region that if Assad's regime falls there will be a sectarian struggle for power that will last another decade or more leaving Syria looking something like post Soviet Afghanistan or current day Waziristan. That is why Obama and everyone else is reluctant to step in and assist in regime change.
Dictators in that region have used chemical agents on their people and the US did nothing about it. The US CIA even provided chemical weapons to both Iraq and Iran during the Iraq Iran war so don't act as if Iran doesn't already have VX, Sarin, Tabun , Soman, Micotoxins, Botulinal Toxins, Anthrax, Smallpox, Hoof and Mouth and a whole variety of chemical and biological weapons in it's stockpiles.
If we allow that stupid knee grow president of ours to drop bombs into that Syrian civil war, we will get the blame for everything that happens in that god forsaken country for the next fifty years.
The best approach to take right now is to provide assistance to the Syrian refugees and encourage peace talks between the various players engaged in that civil war. Once a cease fire is established and peace is established, those responsible for violating the international rules of war can be brought to justice for their war crimes.
You were making some points, but you lost me at "knee grow"... I can't hear anything from your post now but you shouting this: "I'm an ignorant, backward racist!"

Level 6

Location hidden

#180906 Sep 7, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/07/ politics/us-syria-chemical-att ack-videos/index.html?hpt=hp_t 1
That was hard to watch, but it's a hard world we're living in right now.

The people responsible have to be held accountable and all the evidence points to Assad and his regime.

CNN Exclusive: Videos show glimpse into evidence for Syria intervention

...CNN has obtained 13 different videos that the administration has told the Senate Intelligence Committee depict the gruesome scene of a chemical weapons attack in Syria on August 21...

...this collection of footage is significant because the intelligence community has given it a stamp of authenticity...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/07/politics/us-syr...
Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#180907 Sep 7, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone in the world with access to the internet can read what gets posted here, so yes, I would describe that as public.
Do you condone the posts we've seen made that make vulgar sexual remarks about female posters and their families?
Do you think it's just fine and dandy to post the real names, addresses, phone numbers and list of family members and their info while the person doing it hides behind an anonymous proxy and a fake name?
I don't know about you, but I couldn't look myself in the eye if I made some of the comments these people make, whether they knew my real life identity or not.
Like I said, maybe I was just raised with a different set of standards for personal conduct...and I'm glad I was.
I consider places like restaurants or movie theaters to be public places, places where you have to look people in the eye and face consequences for your words and actions.

I don't get the "female posters" part of your post for two reasons - first of all there is no way of knowing the gender of any poster, and secondly - maybe you haven't noticed, but some of these "female posters" are just as vulgar as anyone else who chooses to join in the flaming fun and games.

I don't "condone" the vulgar and juvenile crap that's thrown around in here (by BOTH sides) like confetti on New Year's Eve - page after page of insults that those involved truly seem to enjoy - but I cannot control it either.

I can only control what I post.

“From The Desert To The Sea”

Level 7

Since: Sep 09

To All Across The Lands

#180909 Sep 7, 2013
There's one thing needed in Syria...

Pipeline

Chantays
snidley whiplash

United States

#180910 Sep 7, 2013
Roger_Wilco wrote:
<quoted text>
"Like I said, maybe I was just raised with a different set of standards for personal conduct...and I'm glad I was."
You are a homosexual man. Is that what your parents intended to raise? A male prostitute with only one client? A stay at home homo? They must be proud!
How does his sexuality affect you? Do you really think your hatred and ignorance improves anything at all?

Nobody wants their kids to be homosexual. But most, the good ones especially, love them despite their not being "perfect". We're all going to grow old, get sick and die someday. Try showing a little more compassion before you get there. When your time comes, you might just need a friend or two, homosexual or not.

When you come upon the right nasty, low & mean insult that actually "cures" homosexuality, let us know. Until then STFU.
snidley whiplash

United States

#180915 Sep 7, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm trying to keep an open mind too about this whole fiasco, but I'm still not convinced that U.S. involvement in Syria is for the reasons Obama claims.
He seems to think he's dealing with rational, humane people who care about how they kill others and that just because the U.S. disapproves it's going to make some difference. It won't. These people are barbaric in their regard for human life, so we can't expect them to think and respond with compassion.
"Weapons of mass destruction" has become code for "Let's get involved in yet another foreign civil war. It's our duty."
I call bullchit.
"Failing to respond to this breach of this international norm would send a signal to rogue nations, authoritarian regimes and terrorist organizations that they can develop and use weapons of mass destruction and not pay a consequence," Obama said Friday during a news conference at the G-20 summit in St. Petersburg, Russia. "And that's not the world that we want to live in."
It's a puzzle, that's for sure. This is about as weird as it gets. It's as if you found Mother Teresa beating the crap out of a mugger. You know the mugger is an a-hole... But "OMG! WTF has got into to Mother Teresa?!" is the main thought coursing through your brain. The mugger seems a minor issue.

It's like having vertigo on a carnival ride. Sure, it wasn't supposed to be that way, but all of the sudden you want to upchuck. You wonder why you got on it in the first place.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#180918 Sep 7, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
The people responsible have to be held accountable and all the evidence points to Assad and his regime.
...CNN has obtained 13 different videos that the administration has told the Senate Intelligence Committee depict the gruesome scene of a chemical weapons attack in Syria on August 21...
...this collection of footage is significant because the intelligence community has given it a stamp of authenticity...
Those videos are indeed horrific and heart-wrenching, Jax.

And that is EXACTLY what they're intended to depict and exactly why they're being made public. Do you not see the manipulation being worked here?
snidley whiplash

United States

#180920 Sep 7, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Gross. But do you think that the other 100,000 who died while we sat by doing nothing had deaths similar to the one depicted by Ali McGraw in "Love Story"? That's the movie in which she got more beautiful as she approached the end. The usual vomiting, shitting yourself, pasty & blotchy skin, skeletal appearance, sunken eyes, delirium, etc, were omitted for the story's sake. Cancer actually looked like a beauty treatment!

What you're really saying is that a novel and/or painful death deserves more pity (and revenge) than one we have become accustomed to. Well, you didn't actually say that, rather I did. But it does flow from your argument.
Quirky

Broomfield, CO

#180922 Sep 7, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
I call bullchit.
I agree with you on this one Rose.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#180923 Sep 7, 2013
And now if you don't react with the appropriate degree of outrage and disgust and don't approve of a U.S. strike against Syria, you will be labeled "heartless," "cold," "uncaring," and having no regard for all of humankind.

And just how did we obtain these videos? Who shot the videos?

I noticed an excessive emphasis and repetition by the reporter on the word "authentic."

Let the war begin. It's inevitable now. The drama has been written.
snidley whiplash

United States

#180925 Sep 7, 2013
Roger_Wilco wrote:
<quoted text>
I am an intelligent man with a big brain who sees people for what they are. A variety of species of hominids. Some more capable than others. You call it racist. So what? You are wrong and I am correct. Mud colored people are inferior to whites but not all whites are the same either. Some are more evolved than others.
I am honest. I call a spade a spade. You call me names and act as if you are somehow better than me. GFY yew!
Well, sorry to hear that you hate Jesus, another one of those "mud colored" people. By the way, did you realize that when He was out and about, all the really, really white people were up in the frozen north worshipping trees and killing each other for the last bit of rotting deer meat? Even the "big brained" ones were living hand-to-mouth, while all the swarthy people in the southern areas were inventing geometry, philosophy and medicine. Whites? Not so much. Talk about a bunch of ignorant "spear chuckers"!

Go back far enough in anyone's family tree and you'll find a barbarian. Race has diddly-squat to do with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama approval hits 60% at end of term 5 min Frogface Kate 13
News 'Beautiful Wall' a Tough Task Patchy border bar... 6 min tomin cali 22
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... (May '16) 12 min Go Trump 18,083
News California withdraws request to let illegal imm... 18 min tomin cali 12
News Disabled man tortured by Trump-cursing group br... 20 min huntcoyotes 483
News The Latest: Obama says daughters disappointed b... 36 min Ronald 2
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 1 hr T Bone 144,079
More from around the web