The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 387787 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Pok Guy

Plymouth, MN

#98839 Feb 1, 2013
Cricket 23 wrote:
The president has failed us
Global medical company lays off 100 in US, blames ObamaCare
Published February 01, 2013
FoxNews.com
A global medical technology company has laid off nearly 100 employees at its offices in Tennessee and Massachusetts and is blaming the layoffs the medical device tax tied to ObamaCare.
London-based Smith & Nephew said Thursday it laid off fewer than 100 employees between the two offices, which operate as the company's advanced surgical devices unit, according to The Commercial Appeal.
The company specializes in developing orthopedic reconstruction products, has nearly 11,000 employees and operates in over 90 countries, according to its website.
The Affordable Care Act includes a 2.3 percent tax on medical devices, which is expected to raise nearly $30 billion over the next decade. The tax is applied to gross sales revenues.
MyFoxMemphis.com reports that Smith & Nephew released a statement on the layoffs Thursday, explaining that they were necessary to absorb the costs associated with the tax, which "has impacted a number of companies across the U.S."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/01/me...
“I am pleased to report an underlying 10% increase in trading profit for the (3rd) quarter (2012) to $207 million. The benefits of our efficiency improvements (i.e., layoffs) have helped to offset the impact of on-going tough conditions, and we continued to make good commercial progress in the emerging markets.(Our) business continues to thrive, growing at twice the market rate.

“Smith & Nephew’s strategic priorities are about making choices for the long term benefit of our business, by allocating resources (i.e., layoffs) to the areas where we can achieve the greatest returns." Olivier Bohuon, Chief Executive Officer of Smith & Nephew

What Olivier is saying is that the business is doing fine, profits are increasing, and to increase those profits even more they're going to layoff some folks. And rather than be blamed as greedy for the layoffs, they'll blame it on Obamacare. Corporations (and people) do this all the time. Please study history.

FoxNews? Really?

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

Trump 2016 and beyond

#98840 Feb 1, 2013
Disgusted with OBAMA wrote:
I have lived through many presidencies. I trusted all of them...even when I disagreed with them I could still understand their side of the issue. They were all dignified and proud and patriotic. I felt safe. Today we have a man that bullies us, bullies congress, threatens our elderly that they won't get their checks if he doesn't get what he wants, lies, thrusts us further and further into debt, aids our enemies, makes 11 million criminals legal, has done nothing to improve our economy or build jobs, does nothing to help our Veterans (helps Illegals more than our very own veterans) etc etc........but he has probably improved his golf score dramatically, and he spends so much time in Vegas I have to wonder if he has a gambling problem! His phony wife preaches health but hubby smokes....can you say hypocrite? They spend more money than this country can afford and have no qualms about spending more than the Queen of England on their extravagances. And I surely no longer feel safe since this man sees fit to arm the muslim brotherhood. You deserve his attention if you are black, hispanic, illegal, in a union, gay, on welfare, or need abortions because you're too stupid to use birth control and running our healthcare system in the ground!!! So where does that leave the working class taxpayer? Up the creek! And there is no paddle until we get strong enough to kick this fraud to the curb!
Please refer to post #1 and post #2 of this thread.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/immigration/T...

BTW I agree:
higgans

Avon, IN

#98841 Feb 1, 2013
Freespirit8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you insulting me? I never said or meant for her to "knock it off", I was surprised that she was still going on about it if the act disgusts her(or him). I then asked a question on the topic.
Well you know, I'd have to hear what your partner has to say about your performance - and without you in the room to bully her/him - before I believe you're that good. Me? I'm not as old as you(not a jab, I'm just unable to have been married that long), but 30 years is a pretty good record, don't you think?
That's the best I can do with your scrambled nonsense.
'and without you in the room to bully her/him'
'her/him', eh? haven't read ANY of my posts about ME? or just have a faulty memory?
'to bully' meaning what? going back to your earlier accusation that I abouse women (verbally or otherwise)?
why insult you? because what you post invites it. and, u're soooo easy.:)
and, keeping it only at the jr high level...YOU started insulting me FIRST, waaaay back (see my ref to ur earlier accusation). unlike you, my memory works just fine.lol
btw, IF you have been married for 30 years, congrats! I say 'IF' because you seem to be awful thin-skinned (u DO whine like a little girl when people respond to ur harsh comments in a like manner) for someone either to be as old as you now claim or to have been in a relationship for as LONG as u claim. I defer to the other ladies on here and THEIR agreement/disagreement with my assessment.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

Trump 2016 and beyond

#98842 Feb 1, 2013
Keyword= trust.

“ON THE PROWL”

Level 9

Since: May 08

Rest well Brother

#98843 Feb 1, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Eagle I lost your other post where you asked me about the senates guidelines they have come up with. But I did go there and have been reading them.
In my opinion if the Government makes e-verify mandatory for any job as well as enforcement of employers you will see an almost 100% illegals going for it, excluding any criminala that know they won't get it. No illegal wants to be illegal, they would prefer to be able to live in accordance to the laws of the land.
I disagree with your numbers for as some work under the table jobs and really would have no reason to come out of the shadows.. Employers are still going to conduct their business as usual.. I would hope there is some teeth put in the bill but we will see..

Eagle

Level 1

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#98844 Feb 1, 2013
higgans wrote:
<quoted text>

Progressives, like you and Obama and Bush and McCain, etc... love to bring up individuals''personal' stories and move the point from border security, national ID, JOBS for Americans AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
re-read YOUR recent post... it took you exactly two paragraphs to inject racism into a simple question of law enforcement and national security for ALL Americans.
Liberals/progressives thrive on the lie that they, and only they, represent and protect groups they label as victims.

According to the left these groups are abused and taken advantage of by the evil, rich, white people.

Listen to them constantly boast: "we defend blacks/Hispanics, we defend gays, we defend women." So when you or I disagree, naturally we are "hating on" or targeting blacks/Hispanics, gays, women, etc., etc..

Pok Guy

Plymouth, MN

#98845 Feb 1, 2013
higgans wrote:
<quoted text>
exactly! and those that voted FOR Obama voted for those very same reasons.
one could actually say they voted AGAINST REASON.
and then they get on here and post like they are reasonable people.:)
I guess they 'reasoned' that it is better to have a Pres that is against only 10% of the People instead of one they claimed was against 47% of the People. execpt, the other candidate NEVER said he was AGAINST that part of the electorate (the 47%)... HE SAID THEY WERE AGAINST HIM.
typical Progressive thinking....
If you did a bit of research, you'd discover, much to your dismay, that non-wealthy, poorly educated individuals have long been criticized for voting against their interests by voting Republican. You'll find reliable articles on the Internet. The library, too.

“ON THE PROWL”

Level 9

Rest well Brother

#98846 Feb 1, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe you pay WC or withhold taxes for independent contractors.
You know in FL you either have to be a corp or LLC to be a IC.. And you have to prove to the state"WC" that you pay both.. We were though discussing day labors.. If they came from a labor pool they are covered and taxes deducted..

Eagle

“Peace”

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#98847 Feb 1, 2013
Phurhankey Jahonsuninski wrote:
<quoted text>
It was spam/copyright infringements. She blasted 4 or 5 posts of the bill trying to force feed us into reading it. Forget it, what there is right now can’t be considered anything more than a rough draft of what a few senators want. By the time it gets to the end of the line we won’t recognize it.
How can it be copyright infringement when she wrote the proposal. Nor can it be spam when she is showing it here for others to read. Are you limited to giving your opinion and views only one time or just on one thread. I think not. That being taken off is a violation of her Constitutional rights. Were you the one that wanted it taken off? Did you have a problem with just going past the posts or were you afraid to have it read by others?
What happened to your American patriotism? You know:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Level 1

Location hidden

#98848 Feb 1, 2013
Freedom Works has put together a list of companies that will be laying off employees as a result of President Barack Obama's health care law:

Welch Allyn

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, announced in September that they would be laying off 275 employees, or roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years. One of the major reasons discussed for the layoffs was a proactive response to the Medical Device Tax mandated by the new healthcare law.

Dana Holding Corp.

As recently as a week ago, a global auto parts manufacturing company in Ohio known as Dana Holding Corp., warned their employees of potential layoffs, citing "$24 million over the next six years in additional U.S. health care expenses". After laying off several white collar staffers, company insiders have hinted at more to come. The company will have to cover the additional $24 million cost somehow, which will likely equate to numerous cuts in their current workforce of 25,500 worldwide.

Stryker

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.

Boston Scientific

In October of 2009, Boston Scientific CEO Ray Elliott, warned that proposed taxes in the health care reform bill could "lead to significant job losses" for his company. Nearly two years later, Elliott announced that the company would be cutting anywhere between 1,200 and 1,400 jobs, while simultaneously shifting investments and workers overseas - to China.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercool...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter

“ON THE PROWL”

Level 9

Rest well Brother

#98849 Feb 1, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that there won't be any green cards. But there will be a lot more pressure on the Government to get those borders sealed so they can be given out.
By the way isn't the Mexican government going to be stopping the illegals from coming over here now? Not sure just something I heard somewhere.
How many years has the pressure been on WA?? This here idea is all smoke and mirrors and pandering for votes in the future.. I haven't heard anything about the mexican gov..

Eagle

“Peace”

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#98850 Feb 1, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with your numbers for as some work under the table jobs and really would have no reason to come out of the shadows.. Employers are still going to conduct their business as usual.. I would hope there is some teeth put in the bill but we will see..
Eagle
The bill will have to have teeth in it or it won't work and it has to work. I believe you will find the enforcement and laws put in place for it to be done properly this time.
You know those that pay under the table is in my opinion far and few between. They lose out on many business deductions they can take just to forfit paying WC or taking out taxes from the person working for them.
In any case we will see how many take advantage of any process to become legal. That is if the Government allows all of them to do so.
Pok Guy

Plymouth, MN

#98851 Feb 1, 2013
higgans wrote:
<quoted text>
what really stymies real dialogue are biased generalizations like those two you made about xenophobes and KKKluckers.
the overwhelming 'face' of illegals IS Hispanic/Latino/Mexican/brown. .. whatever you wish to call it. somehow, when the OBVIOUS is mentioned, it gets turned slantwise into racial/ethnic prejudice... and the dialogue ENDS.
groups like La Raza then get involved and really ratchet up the rhetoric and the main points get sidelined with threats of pols being labeled 'racists' or worse.
people like you are quick to generalize about folks like me that SIMPLY want existing laws enforced, period. will doing such effect mostly Hispanics? yes... not because of any prejudice but because Hispanics make up such a LARGE percentage OF THE PROBLEM.
just like the ANTI-Uncle Tom bias in the black sub-culture, groups like La Raza have made it almost impossible for law-and-order Americans of Hispanic descent (read that as Reps or conservatives) to either speak out or be heard when they do.
just like any GOOD HYPHENATED American, the 'Hispanic-American' must need to put his/her ethnicity FIRST... or be labeled a turncoat.
besides, the ONLY immigration 'problem' starts and ends with NON-enforcement of our Laws, period.
Progressives, like you and Obama and Bush and McCain, etc... love to bring up individuals''personal' stories and move the point from border security, national ID, JOBS for Americans AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
re-read YOUR recent post... it took you exactly two paragraphs to inject racism into a simple question of law enforcement and national security for ALL Americans.
hurry, hurry, hurry...
Hispanics, blacks, etc. put their heritage first because there are people like you whom they very well understand will never ever accept them--regardless of how successful they become--and as a result, do not want to assimilate entirely. They also recognize that they have a heritage and culture worth preserving. What folks like you are saying by asking them to assimilate is that their heritage and culture and language are not worth preserving.

The cause of their desire to not assimilate is the attitude of people like you. This is compounded by your failure to realize what the meaning of your desire for them to assimilate means.

You just don't get it and it's recognized that you have no plans to do so.

Level 1

Location hidden

#98852 Feb 1, 2013
Obamacare's Hidden Taxes

The [Supreme Court] has confirmed that ObamaCare's individual mandate is a massive tax on the American middle class. But let's not forget the 20 other new taxes that are embedded in the law.

Though President Obama never sold it as a tax hike, the Supreme Court ruled the mandate is exactly that. Unfortunately, the majority argued it's legal under Congress' taxing authority.

Forcing citizens to buy health insurance "is absolutely not a tax increase," Obama insisted in 2009. Earlier, he assured the public that raising taxes on the middle class to support his health care plan was "the last thing we need in an economy like this." "Folks are already having a tough enough time," Obama added.

Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/0628...

We ain't seen nothin' yet...

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#98853 Feb 1, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its wasn't till after much later I figured out what she and PJ was discussing was not the senate's or the presidents guidelines.. I went back to see and they were gone.. I did scroll on past the second part when I saw "TGW" and figured it was her old plan.. But like PJ I am only open to discussion on future bills from the house and senate..
Eagle
"I am only open to discussion on future bills from the house and senate.."

Then you discuss that and leave everyone else to discuss what they want.

Seems lke a reaonable solutiom to me.

:)

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#98854 Feb 1, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>How can it be copyright infringement when she wrote the proposal. Nor can it be spam when she is showing it here for others to read. Are you limited to giving your opinion and views only one time or just on one thread. I think not. That being taken off is a violation of her Constitutional rights. Were you the one that wanted it taken off? Did you have a problem with just going past the posts or were you afraid to have it read by others?
What happened to your American patriotism? You know:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
It wasn't copyright infringement and it didn't turn out exactly the way they expected anyway.

We ended up having a very intertesting conversation and even if those post have come down, there will be more.

Level 1

Location hidden

#98855 Feb 1, 2013
USDA combats ‘mountain pride,’ self-reliance to boost food stamp rolls

One in seven Americans are on Food Stamps, but the government is pushing to enroll more — in many instances working to overcome Americans’“pride,” self-reliance or failure to see a need.

“Our common goal is to increase participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program,” the United States Department of Agriculture explains on its “Outreach Toolkits” page.“Our purpose is to ensure that those going through difficult times can feed their families healthy, nutritious food. By working as a team, we can accomplish these goals.”

The USDA has adopted a range of strategies and programs designed to bring more people to SNAP, including taking on “pride.” A 2011 Hunger Champions Award document reveals that local assistance offices have been rewarded for “counteracting” pride and pushing more people to sign up for benefits.
Liberals Own It

Riverside, CA

#98857 Feb 1, 2013
January 31, 2013 8:00 P.M.
Immigration: Getting It Right
Enforcement followed by legalization remains the best answer.

By Charles Krauthammer

Immigration reform is coming. Let’s get it right. What counts as getting it wrong? The 1986 Simpson-Mazzoli Act, signed by President Reagan. It granted amnesty to the nation’s 3 million illegal immigrants and promised border enforcement.

Amnesty came. Enforcement never did. Reagan was swindled.

Americans are a generous people. They don’t want 11 million souls living in fear among them. They would willingly, indeed overwhelmingly, support amnesty — as long as it is the last. They don’t want another Simpson-Mazzoli, another bait-and-switch that lets in another 11 million illegal immigrants — and brings us back where we began.

There is an obvious solution: enforcement first. Hence the attraction of the bipartisan Senate deal reached by the “gang of eight,” led by Democrat Chuck Schumer and Republicans John McCain and Marco Rubio. It is said to feature border enforcement first, then legalization.

Not quite.

Read More: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/339427...
higgans

Avon, IN

#98858 Feb 1, 2013
Pok Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hispanics, blacks, etc. put their heritage first because there are people like you whom they very well understand will never ever accept them--regardless of how successful they become--and as a result, do not want to assimilate entirely. They also recognize that they have a heritage and culture worth preserving. What folks like you are saying by asking them to assimilate is that their heritage and culture and language are not worth preserving.
The cause of their desire to not assimilate is the attitude of people like you. This is compounded by your failure to realize what the meaning of your desire for them to assimilate means.
You just don't get it and it's recognized that you have no plans to do so.
define 'accept'. it must not include work with, hire, dine with, socialize, allow them to medicate or operate on oneself, care/teach children,????
DEFINE 'ACCEPT'....
what about our/my AMERICAN culture, language, mores, etc...?
is it UNreasonable or prejudiced to expect fellow contrypersons to SHARE similar traits and characteristics outside of physical looks?
diversity at home is one thing... a United Nations in public or work places is anarchy, or, at the very least, VERY CONFUSING.
I can't imagine two reps from the same entity going to a third party and presenting two POVs and achieving any good result. that's NOT how things work in politics or business or polite society.
and that is why OUR Country is broken... too MUCH diversity!
lordy, some of your posts make soooo little common sense...

“Speak softly”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Carry a big sword

#98859 Feb 1, 2013
HellonHee1s-1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bi*ch is Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =A42SkxHo-x4XX
sung by someone like jax
likes the boi way =)
Yeah, I thought so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 4 min Efrem Zimbalest Jr 76
News Voters have trust issues with Hillary Clinton? ... (Jul '15) 16 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 6,595
News With tears and resolve, immigrants vow to keep ... 17 min Not Immigrants 1
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 23 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 508
News PGA moves tourney from Trump course to Mexico 45 min Nopal 48
News Deadlock at Supreme Court blocks Obama immigrat... 1 hr Nopal 11
News With tears and resolve, immigrants vow to keep ... 1 hr Nopal 3
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 1 hr jimmy krack korn 141,540
More from around the web