The President has failed us

There are 387901 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Quirky The Eye

Brighton, CO

#98816 Feb 1, 2013
American Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who needs to "grow up" dingaling!
He was being as "polite" as he could!
Cool 'your' jets!
Rose is pizzie with everyone , and then wonders why people don`t like her nasty ways!
Quirky The Eye

Brighton, CO

#98817 Feb 1, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
I got your drift! LOL
Hey RH , Nice to see you. Hope you are having better luck with the sleep.

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#98818 Feb 1, 2013
The president has failed us

Global medical company lays off 100 in US, blames ObamaCare

Published February 01, 2013

FoxNews.com

A global medical technology company has laid off nearly 100 employees at its offices in Tennessee and Massachusetts and is blaming the layoffs the medical device tax tied to ObamaCare.

London-based Smith & Nephew said Thursday it laid off fewer than 100 employees between the two offices, which operate as the company's advanced surgical devices unit, according to The Commercial Appeal.

The company specializes in developing orthopedic reconstruction products, has nearly 11,000 employees and operates in over 90 countries, according to its website.

The Affordable Care Act includes a 2.3 percent tax on medical devices, which is expected to raise nearly $30 billion over the next decade. The tax is applied to gross sales revenues.

MyFoxMemphis.com reports that Smith & Nephew released a statement on the layoffs Thursday, explaining that they were necessary to absorb the costs associated with the tax, which "has impacted a number of companies across the U.S."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/01/me...

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#98819 Feb 1, 2013

Republicans threaten to subpoena IRS over expanded ObamaCare subsidies

Published January 31, 2013

FoxNews.com

Republican lawmakers are threatening to subpoena Internal Revenue Service documents over claims that the administration improperly expanded the availability of subsidies under the federal health care overhaul.

IRS representatives say the agency has been cooperative. But in a Jan. 29 letter, Reps. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and Dave Camp, R-Mich., called for "unredacted" documents to be submitted by Feb. 5.

Their concern stems from an IRS decision in May 2012 to extend ObamaCare subsidies to people enrolled in federal government-run exchanges.

The Republicans have claimed that the law permits subsidies only for those enrolled in state-run exchanges -- or marketplaces where tightly regulated insurance plans will be sold starting next year. Because many states have so far refused to set up the exchanges, allowing subsidies in those states is a decision likely to cost billions.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/31/re...

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

Trump 2016 and beyond

#98823 Feb 1, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Grow up.
You'll never catch up. LOL

“Peace”

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#98824 Feb 1, 2013
American Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you have any tricks left to do?
Tricks are FOR kids ;0)
You talk about acting like a Christian then you say this.(shaking head)

“Peace”

Level 8

Location hidden

#98825 Feb 1, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree that we do need to know the percentage of businesses who use illegal labor. We simply need to know the numbers of illegal workers working on the books, and that has been placed at about 7 million who are. It's a numbers thing, because on the other side of the coin, 14 million American workers who are looking for work are shut out of those jobs. Now, if you consider that about HALF the unemployed looking for work are in the same low wage sectors (both first and second tiers of income), you can see that we're keeping them benched in favor of providing cheaper labor to whatever number of businesses who do employ illegals. That's where the bulk of the harm is right now. So, the illegals aren't making tax contributions, but they are getting tax refunds and any welfare benefits their children receive, and the unemployed Americans are receiving either unemployment or welare and foodstamps for their children. It's double dipping on the taxpayers of America, and that's pretty easy to understand.
I don't care how many businesses. It's TOO many anyway you look at it, and if your business doesn't use illegal workers, you're probably losing business to illegal competition. In fact, illegal competition has put hundreds of thousands of legal businesses out of existence because they just couldn't compete. So, we lost that part of the upper middle-class when they shut their doors, and now we take care of their unemployed former American workers.
I
I don't believe that we are being harmed by the illegal work force. Much of how you think is due to old statistics by those that want less to no immigration.

"Does Immigration Cost Jobs?
Economists say immigration, legal or illegal, doesn't hurt American workers.

Summary

Do immigrants take American jobs? It’s a common refrain among those who want to tighten limits on legal immigration and deny a "path to citizenship" — which they call "amnesty" — to the millions of immigrants living in the U.S. illegally. There’s even a new Reclaim American Jobs Caucus in the House, with at least 41 members.

But most economists and other experts say there’s little to support the claim. Study after study has shown that immigrants grow the economy, expanding demand for goods and services that the foreign-born workers and their families consume, and thereby creating jobs. There is even broad agreement among economists that while immigrants may push down wages for some, the overall effect is to increase average wages for American-born workers."

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/05/does-immigra...

Do you remember some years back in these debates it was mentioned that mass deportation could result in having a negative effect on our economy. Those wanting mass deportation said they didn't care. They just wanted illegals gone. After all illegal is illegal was the saying of the day. We've had mass deportations and our economy has worsened during those years.
Now when someone breaks the law they are punished but once they serve their time or pay their fines then their punishment is done. But with your plan of one that pays any fines follows all the rules but will always be punished and never being able to become a citizen. That sounds more like a vindictive measure. Plus that puts those people into a second class status in this Country forever. Not very American or Constitutional of us is it? I think not.
Nor do I think doing a piece meal reform that would only help say, pick a number, is taking care of the problem. We have to address all that are here now. Repeat offenders or offenders of serious crimes we need to get rid of. The rest need to be placed in temporary legal status until they can work their way into a more permanent one.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Level 5

Since: Dec 09

Gangland, North America

#98826 Feb 1, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>You talk about acting like a Christian then you say this.(shaking head)
She's the kind of person that gives republicans & conservatives a bad name.

“Peace”

Level 8

Location hidden

#98827 Feb 1, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read the senate's guidelines in that PDF I posted?? If you have whe percentage of low-wage illegals do you think will go for the probationary legal status?? My guess would be maybe 10% and the higher wage illegals "visa overstayers" maybe 50 to 60%.. I am sure the numbers will be even lower for those wanting green-cards after enforcement is completed.. Thats just my take on the idea.. Its kinda interesting those posters here thats been touting CIR for years are all of a sudden saying no deal..
Eagle
Hey Eagle I lost your other post where you asked me about the senates guidelines they have come up with. But I did go there and have been reading them.
In my opinion if the Government makes e-verify mandatory for any job as well as enforcement of employers you will see an almost 100% illegals going for it, excluding any criminala that know they won't get it. No illegal wants to be illegal, they would prefer to be able to live in accordance to the laws of the land.

“Peace”

Level 8

Location hidden

#98828 Feb 1, 2013
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>She's the kind of person that gives republicans & conservatives a bad name.
Well we all know Rico that there is good and bad in every group. There is even good and bad in every person.
:)

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

Trump 2016 and beyond

#98829 Feb 1, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Age is a good thing. I'm aging just like you. But, it doesn't mean I have to not take care of myself or try and be the best of whatever it is. I get this from my mother who refuses to be her age. At 87, she will not be slowed down or stalled from whatever it is she has on her mind she wants to do. She is an age. She is not a victim of age. Every age has blessings, and that is what makes life grand.
Absolutely fully agree. The very best post of the day. Kudos to you, NTR.
"She is an age. She is not a victim of age."
No one, nowhere should ever have the mindset that they are a victim of age.
Age carries blessings as well as wisdom.

“Peace”

Level 8

Location hidden

#98830 Feb 1, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did you vote for again?? What has obama changed from his dream act EO till now that has you up in arms?? Yes I read the senates guidlines and spoke to a few here on this thread about it.. Wasn't it you telling us all for the past 2 years those people wasn't going home?? I agree with the 'Old Man" you are getting what you and others have been wanting.. I don't hold my breath since I don't see the borders secured or EV and other enforcement measures being completed so no green cards will not be issued..
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/politics/immigr...
Eagle
I agree that there won't be any green cards. But there will be a lot more pressure on the Government to get those borders sealed so they can be given out.
By the way isn't the Mexican government going to be stopping the illegals from coming over here now? Not sure just something I heard somewhere.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Level 5

Gangland, North America

#98831 Feb 1, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>Well we all know Rico that there is good and bad in every group. There is even good and bad in every person.
:)
Agreed. My brother is a republican/conservative and I know you're a Republican as well. On that note, I know there are good in the Republican party.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Level 5

Gangland, North America

#98832 Feb 1, 2013
Cricket 23 wrote:
Republicans threaten to subpoena IRS over expanded ObamaCare subsidies
Published January 31, 2013
FoxNews.com
Republican lawmakers are threatening to subpoena Internal Revenue Service documents over claims that the administration improperly expanded the availability of subsidies under the federal health care overhaul.
IRS representatives say the agency has been cooperative. But in a Jan. 29 letter, Reps. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and Dave Camp, R-Mich., called for "unredacted" documents to be submitted by Feb. 5.
Their concern stems from an IRS decision in May 2012 to extend ObamaCare subsidies to people enrolled in federal government-run exchanges.
The Republicans have claimed that the law permits subsidies only for those enrolled in state-run exchanges -- or marketplaces where tightly regulated insurance plans will be sold starting next year. Because many states have so far refused to set up the exchanges, allowing subsidies in those states is a decision likely to cost billions.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/31/re...
I see Rep. Darrell Issa is on this one. He's notorious for pulling crap like this for show and nothing more.

I equate it to a person teasing a dog with a bone. All you neo-cons get all happy in the pants only to walk away with blue balls.
Disgusted with OBAMA

Atlanta, GA

#98833 Feb 1, 2013
I have lived through many presidencies. I trusted all of them...even when I disagreed with them I could still understand their side of the issue. They were all dignified and proud and patriotic. I felt safe. Today we have a man that bullies us, bullies congress, threatens our elderly that they won't get their checks if he doesn't get what he wants, lies, thrusts us further and further into debt, aids our enemies, makes 11 million criminals legal, has done nothing to improve our economy or build jobs, does nothing to help our Veterans (helps Illegals more than our very own veterans) etc etc........but he has probably improved his golf score dramatically, and he spends so much time in Vegas I have to wonder if he has a gambling problem! His phony wife preaches health but hubby smokes....can you say hypocrite? They spend more money than this country can afford and have no qualms about spending more than the Queen of England on their extravagances. And I surely no longer feel safe since this man sees fit to arm the muslim brotherhood. You deserve his attention if you are black, hispanic, illegal, in a union, gay, on welfare, or need abortions because you're too stupid to use birth control and running our healthcare system in the ground!!! So where does that leave the working class taxpayer? Up the creek! And there is no paddle until we get strong enough to kick this fraud to the curb!
higgans

Avon, IN

#98834 Feb 1, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Immigration was not a top priority for me in deciding to vote for Obama. I knew his immigration position, but his economic plans were superior to that of his opponent. I would like to know that Americans of every ethnicity will support American labor over the needs or wishes of business interests and the desires of people who are present illegally.
If this had not turned into a xenophobic screamfest, I don't think we'd even be looking at such a broad blanket amnesty, because Hispanic Americans wouldn't be so very protective and defensive in reaction to the prejudice they see surrounding this issue.
It frustrates me that when the topic of illegal immigration is being debated or discussed, along come the KKKluckers and white supremacists to weigh in and get in the middle of the conversation. That seems to end any reasonable dialogue. The reality is that if we don't get this issue settled properly for the benefit of American labor and with something that discourages more people from entering illegally or overstaying their visas, we can expect more illegal entry and a continuing lowering of living standards - something already well underway via jobs lost to recession and outsourcing.
I don't see anything in the proposals to date that provides any assurances whatsoever that we've found a solution to the problem going forward. Like I said, I agree with Marco Rubio (and, I'm not a Republican) that amnesty for all with a pathway to citizenship encourages more people to ignore the restrictions of legal immigration and just come on over at will. Business will score. American taxpayers and the poor will pay the price. Social welfare safety net programs will decline in effectiveness. Worse, there appears to be no distinction made between those present illegally as to who qualifies. If you get here tomorrow, you're included in the offer. If you've never worked a day of your life in America, you're included in the offer.
If you're a carpenter or roofer, etc. who lost your job to illegal competition and contractor greed, you can get back in the line to apply for work, but the guy who replaced you will be earning more than you. So you're the one who is at the back of the line and at the bottom of the totem pole starting from square one, not the former illegal worker.
what really stymies real dialogue are biased generalizations like those two you made about xenophobes and KKKluckers.
the overwhelming 'face' of illegals IS Hispanic/Latino/Mexican/brown. .. whatever you wish to call it. somehow, when the OBVIOUS is mentioned, it gets turned slantwise into racial/ethnic prejudice... and the dialogue ENDS.
groups like La Raza then get involved and really ratchet up the rhetoric and the main points get sidelined with threats of pols being labeled 'racists' or worse.
people like you are quick to generalize about folks like me that SIMPLY want existing laws enforced, period. will doing such effect mostly Hispanics? yes... not because of any prejudice but because Hispanics make up such a LARGE percentage OF THE PROBLEM.
just like the ANTI-Uncle Tom bias in the black sub-culture, groups like La Raza have made it almost impossible for law-and-order Americans of Hispanic descent (read that as Reps or conservatives) to either speak out or be heard when they do.
just like any GOOD HYPHENATED American, the 'Hispanic-American' must need to put his/her ethnicity FIRST... or be labeled a turncoat.
besides, the ONLY immigration 'problem' starts and ends with NON-enforcement of our Laws, period.
Progressives, like you and Obama and Bush and McCain, etc... love to bring up individuals''personal' stories and move the point from border security, national ID, JOBS for Americans AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
re-read YOUR recent post... it took you exactly two paragraphs to inject racism into a simple question of law enforcement and national security for ALL Americans.
hurry, hurry, hurry...
higgans

Avon, IN

#98835 Feb 1, 2013
La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama made it very clear where his priorities lie. He feels social justice is at or near the top along with immigration (11 million more democrat voters).
The economy, jobs, and spending money we do not have are not a concern of a leftist administration.
exactly! and those that voted FOR Obama voted for those very same reasons.
one could actually say they voted AGAINST REASON.
and then they get on here and post like they are reasonable people.:)
I guess they 'reasoned' that it is better to have a Pres that is against only 10% of the People instead of one they claimed was against 47% of the People. execpt, the other candidate NEVER said he was AGAINST that part of the electorate (the 47%)... HE SAID THEY WERE AGAINST HIM.
typical Progressive thinking....

“ON THE PROWL”

Level 9

Since: May 08

Rest well Brother

#98836 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Hey Eagle, just curious but how did you know what NTR posted was removed? You're the only one who noticed or mentioned it.
Hmmmmm?
Its wasn't till after much later I figured out what she and PJ was discussing was not the senate's or the presidents guidelines.. I went back to see and they were gone.. I did scroll on past the second part when I saw "TGW" and figured it was her old plan.. But like PJ I am only open to discussion on future bills from the house and senate..

Eagle

“Peace”

Level 8

Location hidden

#98837 Feb 1, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone pays cash daily they are not withholding taxes and paying WC.. Thats just a simple fact..
Eagle
I don't believe you pay WC or withhold taxes for independent contractors.

“ON THE PROWL”

Level 9

Since: May 08

Rest well Brother

#98838 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Right away. Eagle always gives himself away when he's trying to play Top Mod.
I did no such thing.. Don't blame me for the spam filters killing her post.. It didn't dawn on me she was wanting to discuss her plan till way after the illegal labor discussion started..

Eagle

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 6 min PayupSucka 146
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 1 hr Memo From Turner 3,178
News Supreme Court Immigration Ruling Leaves Million... 1 hr HOLLA ISABELLA 9
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 3 hr bmz 591
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 4 hr Quirky 9,741
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 5 hr Maverick 808 141,561
News Bush gets testy over 'anchor babies' term (Aug '15) 7 hr Ulysses Grant niece 3
More from around the web