The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 341545 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

The Los Angeles Tmes

Orange, CA

#254465 Mar 31, 2014
Obamacare numbers coming in huge: Here's a guide to GOP excuse-making

Against all odds and expectations, enrollments in health plans qualified under the Affordable Care Act are surging Monday toward -- and maybe beyond -- the 7-million figure projected by the Congressional Budget Office before Oct. 1, when the open-enrollment period began. The deadline for starting enrollment applications for 2014 plans is midnight Monday.

The surge is creating a big problem for the "train wreck" narrative of Republican opponents of the ACA, who have been holding out hope for Obamacare's utter failure. So the excuse-making has begun.

Before we examine those excuses: You will recall that the budget office reduced its projection of enrollments on individual insurance exchanges to 6 million earlier this year to account for the botched launch of healthcare.gov , the federal enrollment website. Enrollments blew past that mark days ago. If exchange enrollments meet or exceed the original projection of 7 million despite the loss of some six weeks in website functionality in October and November, that would be a testament to the public's latent desire for effective healthcare coverage.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi...
Quirky

Denver, CO

#254466 Mar 31, 2014
Rose is posting under a new sock. It is why She has been absent so much.

I wish She would grow up!
The Orange Co Register

Orange, CA

#254467 Mar 31, 2014
Last-minute rush for health sign-ups

Californians deluge state insurance exchange website to beat Obamacare sign-up deadline.

Californians bombarded the state insurance exchange’s website Monday to beat a deadline to sign up for Obamacare. In response, Covered California offered a grace period for more people.

The six-month enrollment period technically ended at midnight Monday, but those who started their applications by then have until April 15 to finish.

Late in the day, Covered California announced that the two-week extension would also apply to anyone who says they were unable to create an account. They can sign up for insurance between now and April 15. However, they won’t be able use the website, and instead must receive assistance at an enrollment center or from Covered California’s toll-free number.

“By doing the right thing for consumers there will be tens of thousands of consumers that we will get across the finish line between now and April 15,” said Peter Lee, executive director of Covered California.

Insurance companies now say they plan to focus on premium collection and educating new beneficiaries about their coverage. They said it’s too early to determine how often and for what reasons the newly insured are using their benefits, but some local health providers are seeing an influx of patients.

As of 2 a.m. Monday, Covered California said 1,209,791 people had signed up, with 155,988 enrolling since last Monday. Lee said as of 5 p.m. Monday, there had been a record 7.7 million page views at coveredca.com .

As in late December, ahead of the deadline for coverage that started Jan. 1, procrastinators paralyzed the state website. Over the weekend, wait times for telephone enrollment averaged 70 minutes.

Earlier Monday, with the final deadline looming for 2014 coverage, Covered California took the unusual step of preventing some from completing their enrollment so others could start and also qualify for an extension.

“We’ve tried to do it ourselves for the past two days,” said Kendrick Kim, a 36-year-old Fullerton real estate agent featured in a Register series on people who were undecided about signing up.“I plan to do it again tonight to see if the systems are working. I feel like I should get that insurance. Anything could happen in life.”
Continued.......
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/california...
The Denver Post

Orange, CA

#254468 Mar 31, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
What's their identity, Ratso? Got some names? What's my name? We know yours is Ratso.
Coloradan claims license plate led to pot search

The Associated Press

DENVER—A Colorado man is suing Idaho police, accusing a trooper of presuming he had marijuana simply because his license plates marked him as being from a state where medical post was legal, The Denver Post reported Sunday.
The suit was first reported by Fox31 ( https://tinyurl.com/p4aw2wj ), which quoted Roseen's Idaho-based attorney Mark Coonts as saying the video taken by a law enforcement dash cam shows the conversation turning "quickly from a lane change violation to,'Where is your marijuana?'"

"Just because you're from Colorado doesn't mean that you're automatically carrying marijuana into our state," Coonts told Fox31. "This isn't a pro-marijuana case or an anti-marijuana case, this is a civil rights case."

The Post reported that Idaho State Police would not comment over the weekend, but planned to issue a statement on the litigation later this week.

http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_254527...
Quirky

Denver, CO

#254469 Mar 31, 2014
Feds intercepted 722,000 illegal immigrants last year but charged just 27 PER CENT with criminal violations – and let 68,000 convicted criminals go!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25936...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Quirky

Denver, CO

#254470 Mar 31, 2014
The Department of Homeland Security is letting illegal immigrants go in record numbers, including those already convicted of serious crimes
A man accused of raping a child in his own family was released, apparently because of a policy of 'discretion' when suspects are child caregivers
Another man facing vehicular homicide charges walked away because Chicago's county jail officials refused to let the feds interview him
According to a new report, just 195,000 out of 722,000 illegal immigrants encountered by ICE were charged with immigration violations in 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25936...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Quirky

Denver, CO

#254471 Apr 1, 2014
Rose has been lurking and doing judge-it duty for the last 5 hours.

How childish huh?
Quirky

Denver, CO

#254472 Apr 1, 2014
Cash:

*The back of the line is on the other side of the border. Those who are here illegally should leave and apply to come in legally” as other would-be immigrants have been doing. Secure the borders and limit access to jobs through employment verification. Says Graham’s plan would amount to amnesty, which has been the nation’s policy since the ’80s.“I don’t think anyone believes that (the Gang of Eight’s bill) is actually going to secure the borders.”
Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2014/03/29/303101 ...
Linktv org

Sayville, NY

#254473 Apr 1, 2014
NTR1 wrote:
<quoted text> I almost never do this, but I want to say I believe that as sour as he is, Freebird struggles NOT to be a racist or bigot. He is truly very angry, and what he has experienced and witnessed is the influx of illegal Mexican labor that usurped almost all the jobs in construction in Southern California (his niche). It picked up steam as the market itself picked up steam until almost no run of the mill American English speaking construction workers could find work at ANYTHING even close to their previous wages which were eventually cut to almost minimum wage before slowly climbing again. However, that was not in time to save the homes and families and obligations of most of those workers, and they not only left the state in anger (those who did depart), they frequently left blaming their lost lives on brown skinned Mexicans. Is this right? H*ll no. Is it understandable. Yes, my friend, to some extent it is, and that is what each of us must fight against in this battle of corruption and divisiveness. Those "usurpers" could have been green and the prejudice would have been directed toward the green skinned folks.
Nevertheless, it is NOT the workers who were lured and encouraged and rewarded to come here who should bear the brunt of the anger. It is those who disrespected and who STILL disrespect their fellow Americans in favor of profit and greed with no ethical considerations. The American businesses who tried to continue playing by the rules? They were put out of business by those who didn't, and no government agency did their jobs to prevent this travesty from happening. From local to Federal, everybody looked the other way while lives and family were torn apart. It became a disadvantage to be not only born poor but worse, to be born an American into an impoverished family. So, who suffered most and most visibly? Young lesser educated black Americans and young lesser educated Hispanic Americans. To this day, they continue to be disproportionately impacted negatively.
At any rate, while I don't agree with Freebird as to where he places the blame, I can somewhat understand him, and I can only urge him to keep focused on WHO has done this, and it's not the folks he wants to finger as the culprits. The culprits are in state and local government, the greedy contractors who hire illegals, and the clowns in Congress who do whatever is necessary not to inconvenience their peers in anyway. JMO
Extremely illuminating EO.

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#254474 Apr 1, 2014
Linktv org wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been saying this for many years that Obama is a corporate hack proven by continuing over 90% of all Republican Bush/Cheney failed and illegal policy.
Even his signature Obamacare is a corporate Republican healthcare plan with not one Republican voting for it.
When Dumbya was in Office many liberal Democrats wanted Single Payer ( Medicare for all Americans or even a Public Option.
As soon as Obama came in all Democrats passed a Republican Healthcare plan and not a liberal one.
Obama used the same template as Bush/Cheney Senior Citizen Prescription Drugs Medicare Part D.
ALL AMERICAN SENIOR CITIZENS ARE STILL PAYING THE HIGHEST PRICES FOR MEDS.
Truth be told Reaganomics has been practiced and enhanced by Daddy Bush, Bill Clinton, Dumbya Bush and Barack Obama.
==========
Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans
October 1, 1989 / http://tinyurl.com/8xb6rd9
http://www.heritage.org/research/lecture/assu...
Obama says Heritage Foundation is source of health exchange idea
March 30th, 2010 / http://tinyurl.com/26xm72p
You are confused Heritage and the Republicans NEVER supported an individual mandate like Obamacare.

What they supported was an employer mandate that would provide health care to all employees that chose to have it.

Heritage vs. ObamaCare

In the parlance of today's ObamaCare discussions the "Mandate" refers to a legal obligation dictated by the federal government for all residents to purchase comprehensive health insurance covering routine, preventative, emergency, and mental health care and more.
The 'mandates' laid out by the Heritage Foundation were of an entirely different nature, as they focused on two areas: 1) Employer Mandate, requiring all large companies to provide healthcare coverage and 2) A Catastrophic Insurance Mandate, intended to protect the public from absorbing the costs for uncovered emergency care.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/10/herita...

Level 1

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#254475 Apr 1, 2014
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back to Mexico, or California. How did he get a SS card? He can get an ITIN number from the IRS and get a job. All they care about is the taxes.
:)
I've seen his SS card and it reads 'Not For Employment Purposes.' His Driver's License reads 'Not For Identification Purposes.' He is unable to obtain the things that you, as an American citizen, take for granted -- even a library card.

He has certificates of graduation from American grammar and high school, speaks perfect English and in every respect, except citizenship, is American. Legally, he's allowed to reside in the U.S. but is still considered a Mexican citizen. He says he cannot obtain citizenship because he was brought to our great country illegally. Even if there was a way to gain citizenship, he couldn't afford it, he's barely surviving.

It's a Catch 22 situation so he does that best he can and hopes for another amnesty. There are thousands, perhaps millions, of young people in his shoes.

America is known as the great melting pot and, in his situation, something is terribly wrong. It's time we consider young people like my friend and find a way to welcome them with open arms instead of confining them to the ranks of poverty based on politics.

Level 1

Location hidden

#254476 Apr 1, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Apply for citizenship.
While I do not understand the legal ramifications, he would have to return to Mexico and apply for citizenship like any foreign national.
Level 1

Since: Jan 11

Bordentown, NJ

#254477 Apr 1, 2014
Sirius-Canis wrote:
<quoted text>
While I do not understand the legal ramifications, he would have to return to Mexico and apply for citizenship like any foreign national.
Does he fit any of these categories?

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/applyi...

I had a Canadian friend who applied for citizenship. Of course, he served in Vietnam in the US Army as a Canadian citizen. That was a big plus. You mentioned expense. That is a big factor.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

United States

#254478 Apr 1, 2014
"Obama failed to acknowledge the EU’s vital role"

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e8c66748-b68c-...

Level 1

Location hidden

#254479 Apr 1, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Does he fit any of these categories?
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/applyi...
I had a Canadian friend who applied for citizenship. Of course, he served in Vietnam in the US Army as a Canadian citizen. That was a big plus. You mentioned expense. That is a big factor.
Thanks for trying to help, I read the link. Unfortunately, my Hispanic friend does not have a Green Card nor does he qualify for one. He's thinking about joining the military to gain citizenship. If he serves for three years, it's relatively automatic.

Some posters will not believe the situation but it's true, I have no reason to lie. I'm against a blanket amnesty for all aliens but certain situations deserve consideration, politics aside. An attorney friend told me citizenship would cost mucho bucks and, you are correct, my friend cannot afford it; he's barely surviving, living in a mobile home that should be condemned and visiting the food bank weekly.

It's a sad situation and something needs to be done.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

United States

#254480 Apr 1, 2014
The president is a suKcess. APRIL FOOL!!!!! HAHA
Linktv org

Sayville, NY

#254481 Apr 1, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confused Heritage and the Republicans NEVER supported an individual mandate like Obamacare.
What they supported was an employer mandate that would provide health care to all employees that chose to have it.
Heritage vs. ObamaCare
In the parlance of today's ObamaCare discussions the "Mandate" refers to a legal obligation dictated by the federal government for all residents to purchase comprehensive health insurance covering routine, preventative, emergency, and mental health care and more.
The 'mandates' laid out by the Heritage Foundation were of an entirely different nature, as they focused on two areas: 1) Employer Mandate, requiring all large companies to provide healthcare coverage and 2) A Catastrophic Insurance Mandate, intended to protect the public from absorbing the costs for uncovered emergency care.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/10/herita...
Adam 36, Your almost president Republican Mitt Romney implemented the same plan.

LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES wanted Single Payer or Public Option NOT OBAMA CARE.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Enclosed is proof:

==========

• Did Heritage originate the idea? Our research suggests that while Heritage has advocated for health insurance exchanges for many years, others did, too. Scholars credit Alain C. Enthoven -- an emeritus professor at the Stanford University Graduate School of Business who worked in the Defense Department during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations -- with popularizing the idea for an exchange as many as three decades ago.

Still, there's little doubt that Heritage has been a consistent and eager promoter of the exchange idea, especially during the effort to design a new health care system for Massachusetts. That effort concluded with the Democratic legislature joining with the Republican governor, Romney, to implement a system that includes a health insurance exchange.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...

Level 2

Since: Oct 09

#254482 Apr 1, 2014
GOP switches positions on Obamacare!

justfu@#inwithu.com

http://www.happyholidays2014.com/wp-content/u...

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#254484 Apr 1, 2014
Linktv org wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam 36, Your almost president Republican Mitt Romney implemented the same plan.
LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES wanted Single Payer or Public Option NOT OBAMA CARE.
Why is this so hard for you to understand?
Enclosed is proof:
==========
• Did Heritage originate the idea? Our research suggests that while Heritage has advocated for health insurance exchanges for many years, others did, too. Scholars credit Alain C. Enthoven -- an emeritus professor at the Stanford University Graduate School of Business who worked in the Defense Department during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations -- with popularizing the idea for an exchange as many as three decades ago.
Still, there's little doubt that Heritage has been a consistent and eager promoter of the exchange idea, especially during the effort to design a new health care system for Massachusetts. That effort concluded with the Democratic legislature joining with the Republican governor, Romney, to implement a system that includes a health insurance exchange.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...
Politifact is a looney left wing site that has been shown to be wrong.

I linked to the differences between Heritage and Obamacare and you still don't get it.
You must be one of those LIV's Obama counts on to vote for him regardless of facts
Linktv org

Sayville, NY

#254486 Apr 1, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Politifact is a looney left wing site that has been shown to be wrong.
I linked to the differences between Heritage and Obamacare and you still don't get it.
You must be one of those LIV's Obama counts on to vote for him regardless of facts
I did not vote for Obama both times.

In 2008 I voted for Ron Paul in the Republican Primary NOT FOR JOHN MCCAIN.

In the general election I voted for Ralph Nader and NOT FOR OBAMA.

Fox News and Rush 'From Drugs' Lying Corporatist Limbaugh are the liars who got caught multiple times.

Today there are still millions of Fox News and Rightwing Radio viewers and listeners who still believe the Clinton's murdered Vince Foster back in the 1990s and Obama is a communist, Muslim, born in Kenya.

LOL

----------

Congress: Yes, Obama Was Born in Hawaii ( 378 - 0 )
July 28, 2009 / http://tinyurl.com/lhngae
Yesterday, an innocuous-sounding resolution in honor of the 50th anniversary of Hawaiian statehood came up for vote on the House floor.

The resolution from Hawaii Democrat Neil Abercrombie, which Greg Sargent first reported, included this line: "Whereas the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, was born in Hawaii…"

Why is that notable? Because it's just the sort of claim that angers the birthers – the movement of folks who believe, against overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that President Obama was not really born in Hawaii, and is thus not a U.S. citizen.
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/28/polit...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What rights do immigrants in the US have? 1 hr big A EPA 71
News Archbishop assails Trump over birthright citize... 2 hr Redeemed 10
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 2 hr Quirky 138,966
News Immigrant suspect faces tough battle fighting m... 5 hr Anonymous 6
News Former DPS employee arrested in illegal licensi... 5 hr lms 1
News Fiorina: RNC loyalty pledge 'unenforceable' 6 hr swedenforever 4
News Trump would deport children of illegal immigrants 7 hr swedenforever 504
More from around the web