Pastor slams religious right at Obamas' Easter service

There are 20 comments on the Mar 31, 2013, Free Republic story titled Pastor slams religious right at Obamas' Easter service. In it, Free Republic reports that:

President Obama attended an Easter service with his family today at St. John's Episcopal Church near the White House, and the Pastor delivering the sermon at the service veered into political territory when he slammed the religious right for living in the past and lionizing "the good old days." The sermon at the service, delivered by Dr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

“Plays well with others.”

Level 8

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#1 Apr 1, 2013
Cuz that's how we ROLL!
Liberal Pigs

Huntington, MA

#4 Apr 1, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>Seek psychiatric help soon.
Have you ever slept with a dog?
just saying

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Apr 1, 2013
Under sj's white robe of stupidity lies evil.
She mocks The Lord God Almighty and praises Islam.

“ reality, what a concept”

Level 2

Since: Nov 07

this one

#6 Apr 1, 2013
James Aist wrote:
The "gospel"...
Sweetie, if that is really the kind of ugliness in the name of God you want to spend your prayers on, you go right ahead. But you may just want to check your certitude as to whether he actually agrees with you.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Level 10

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#7 Apr 2, 2013
Preachers who dabble in secular issues need to see their church's tax emeptions eliminated. Preachers should stick to scripture and saving their flocks' souls. He is entitled to his opinion, but he shouldn't foust it upon his congregation, trying to bend their minds. People need to come to their own conclusions regarding these issues without being shamed or forced to change their opinions, which ever way they may roll.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Level 1

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#8 Apr 2, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
Preachers who dabble in secular issues need to see their church's tax emeptions eliminated. Preachers should stick to scripture and saving their flocks' souls. He is entitled to his opinion, but he shouldn't foust it upon his congregation, trying to bend their minds. People need to come to their own conclusions regarding these issues without being shamed or forced to change their opinions, which ever way they may roll.
43 “You have heard that our fathers were told,‘Love your neighbor[i]— and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 Then you will become children of your Father in heaven. For he makes his sun shine on good and bad people alike, and he sends rain to the righteous and the unrighteous alike. 46 What reward do you get if you love only those who love you? Why, even tax-collectors do that! 47 And if you are friendly only to your friends, are you doing anything out of the ordinary? Even the Goyim do that! 48 Therefore, be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

OR

Matt 25

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right,‘Come, you whom my Father has blessed, take your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you made me your guest, 36 I needed clothes and you provided them, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the people who have done what God wants will reply,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and make you our guest, or needing clothes and provide them? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison, and visit you?’ 40 The King will say to them,‘Yes! I tell you that whenever you did these things for one of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did them for me!’

There was no difference between 'synagogue' life and regular life, at least to Jesus, unless you have a bunch of naked homeless hungry folks in your Church.

LOL.....

“Plays well with others.”

Level 8

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#9 Apr 2, 2013
that'll preach! Middleway!

“... truth will out.”

Level 1

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#10 Apr 2, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
43 “You have heard that our fathers were told,‘Love your neighbor[i]— and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies!...
So where was Rev. Leon's love for his political enemies in this?

"I hear all the time the expression 'the good old days'," Leon said. "Well, the good old days, we forget they have been good for some, but they weren't good for everybody.

"You can't go back, you can't live in the past," he added. "It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling people back...for Blacks to be back in the back of the bus, for women to be back in the kitchen ..."

... or was Leon just pandering to President Obama at the expense of Matthew's Gospel?

Level 10

Location hidden

#11 Apr 3, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
43 “You have heard that our fathers were told,‘Love your neighbor[i]— and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 Then you will become children of your Father in heaven. For he makes his sun shine on good and bad people alike, and he sends rain to the righteous and the unrighteous alike. 46 What reward do you get if you love only those who love you? Why, even tax-collectors do that! 47 And if you are friendly only to your friends, are you doing anything out of the ordinary? Even the Goyim do that! 48 Therefore, be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
OR
Matt 25
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right,‘Come, you whom my Father has blessed, take your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you made me your guest, 36 I needed clothes and you provided them, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the people who have done what God wants will reply,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and make you our guest, or needing clothes and provide them? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison, and visit you?’ 40 The King will say to them,‘Yes! I tell you that whenever you did these things for one of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did them for me!’
There was no difference between 'synagogue' life and regular life, at least to Jesus, unless you have a bunch of naked homeless hungry folks in your Church.
LOL.....
Anybody can cite Bible verses to support their views on an assorted sundry of topics, however a "man of the cloth" needs to keep his political opinions out of sermons. He needs to feed their souls, prop them up, encourage them to be better people, to have a purpose in life. People get enough of those opinions while reading or watching the liberal news media's opines, or getting indoctrinated at one of too many liberal colleges. When are people allowed to come to their own opinions without the prodding of people like this minister and this administration, the UN, whatever, whomever? It's time to stop listening and start thinking for oneself.

Level 10

Location hidden

#12 Apr 3, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
"I hear all the time the expression 'the good old days'," Leon said. "Well, the good old days, we forget they have been good for some, but they weren't good for everybody.
"You can't go back, you can't live in the past," he added. "It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling people back...for Blacks to be back in the back of the bus, for women to be back in the kitchen ..."
... or was Leon just pandering to President Obama at the expense of Matthew's Gospel?
What ever his motives happened to be, he was out of line.

“... truth will out.”

Level 1

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#13 Apr 3, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>What ever his motives happened to be, he was out of line.
He was also in the wrong millenium.
Anonymous

Payson, AZ

#14 Apr 3, 2013
Anglican Church deviates had a weekend conference
a few weeks back at the National Cathedral in Washington. Subject "gun control".

Level 1

The Mountain Empire

#15 Apr 3, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
God gave us free will, just look at the religious wrong.

Is he upset at injustice?

GOOD!

That's what Jesus taught....

Level 1

The Mountain Empire

#16 Apr 3, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Anybody can cite Bible verses to support their views on an assorted sundry of topics, however a "man of the cloth" needs to keep his political opinions out of sermons. He needs to feed their souls, prop them up, encourage them to be better people, to have a purpose in life. People get enough of those opinions while reading or watching the liberal news media's opines, or getting indoctrinated at one of too many liberal colleges. When are people allowed to come to their own opinions without the prodding of people like this minister and this administration, the UN, whatever, whomever? It's time to stop listening and start thinking for oneself.
Let me know when you decide to think for yourself.

LOL......

Level 1

The Mountain Empire

#17 Apr 3, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
He was also in the wrong millenium.
So you want to forget history so you are doomed to repeat it's mistakes.

So roman.

It must kill your church to know they are no longer in charge of rewriting history.

LOL......

Level 10

Location hidden

#18 Apr 3, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me know when you decide to think for yourself.
LOL......
I always have, when will you?

Level 1

The Mountain Empire

#19 Apr 4, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>I always have, when will you?
You're new around here, eh?

Jesus doesn't like bigots....

Level 1

The Mountain Empire

#20 Apr 4, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
OR

Matt 25

LOL.....
Some people want to give the teachings of Jesus nasty symbols.

HMMMMM. who could it be?

Level 10

Location hidden

#21 Apr 4, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
You're new around here, eh?
Jesus doesn't like bigots....
New? Yeah, right. I have heard that HE also likes people to obey God's laws as well as those of man.

Level 1

The Mountain Empire

#22 Apr 4, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>New? Yeah, right. I have heard that HE also likes people to obey God's laws as well as those of man.
I pay taxes, that's as far as I go with man's law.

God has taken care of everything else with his Law.

Pssst, it's in the book you worship as God.

LOL....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP Lawmakers: Reject Loretta Lynch's Nomination 8 min KnutesNiche 7
News Republicans back bill letting illegal immigrant... 56 min Responsibility 23
News Obama amnesty greater threat to blacks than pol... 1 hr OccupyThis 32
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 1 hr NuRidersoftheePur... 137,974
News After Son Murdered By Alien, Man Says - Federal... 3 hr wild child 3
News Senator tells House to go first on immigration ... 3 hr wild child 4
News 5Full transcript of President Obamaa s White Ho... 5 hr Responsibility 23
More from around the web